Palo Alto Super Regional: Texas @ Stanford

Horny Bull

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

I’ll say this, everything is coming off the same plane. Like you said he tunnels his pitches really well. My problem is he has to be under 45% fastballs thrown tonight and most haven’t even been competitive to make you respect it and yet most everyone in our lineup has gone up to the plate looking for a fastball

Yeah something here has to be stellar, we sometimes suck but this guy is good.

When you know you're not going to get many (if any) fastballs for strikes and the guy has a good change up, you basically go up there with the approach of "count to 1, then swing opposite field."  It's the only way to force you to let the ball travel.  It also gives you a chance to see the bottom fall out of the change up and you can check/lay off.

As it is, they're up there with fastball timing and they're committing before the changeup dumps.  On the breaking ball, they see spin and they're just looping their swing to keep the bat in the zone, hopefully long enough to make contact.  Result - weak pull ground ball.  Think opposite field and they'll barrel them up with some stank on it.

You don't beat pitchers like him with home runs (and the ball ain't carrying tonight anyway).  You beat them with single after single after single.  And you fucking run - stealing on those changeups in the dirt and hit-and-run on the others.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, chase25 said:

I’ll say this, everything is coming off the same plane. Like you said he tunnels his pitches really well. My problem is he has to be under 45% fastballs thrown tonight and most haven’t even been competitive to make you respect it and yet most everyone in our lineup has gone up to the plate looking for a fastball

Stepping up to the plate sitting on breaking pitches is a dangerous thing. You can do it but it’s much easier to adjust to soft stuff than expect soft stuff and adjust to a fastball.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Stepping up to the plate sitting on breaking pitches is a dangerous thing. You can do it but it’s much easier to adjust to soft stuff than expect soft stuff and adjust to a fastball.

No.  Absolutely wrong, with the exception of the pitcher having a dominating fastball.  This guy's is 92-93 and straight as a fucking arrow...no movement.  You can fight that off all day and sit on the other shit.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Sthele you have great stuff but you drive me nuts.

Ok three innings to walk this off. Texas Fight!

The problem is he doesn't have great stuff.  A 95 mph straight fastball doesnt do much for you in todays game if you can't get anything else over the plate.