2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

Probably depends on y'all's new conference setup for baseball season in 2025.  But based on names, distances, and the date they're doing it---they has all the smackings of a multi-year home/home series.  Only catch I see is that we're not going to West Coast at all this season.  Even after we join SEC and travel even more just for conference play, no way in the world do we skip California two years in a row.  Maybe it's return trip to USD, or Cal Poly, or reboot of CSU-Fullerton or Stanford.  As such, I could very well see us playing in California somewhere in 2025 and then return trip to Seattle to play UW in 2026.  If that's the case, my girls will be old enough and we're in.  Pick us up at the airport, would you please? 

59 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, the Big 12 did this on all sports on purpose.

Since the home and away weekends for last years Big12 teams flips this year, the alternative to away at UH would have likely been away at Cinn or WV.  I think much better to play in Houston so local fan base can attend, and team travel is much easier.

54 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I thought y'all were reading too much into conspiracy theories, but nope---it's every fucking sport.

Is it me or are the dates off on texassports?  They start with USD 2/16-2/18 but have it listed Thu-Sat and then every other home series is off one day of the week from then on?  Da fUH?  

Since the home and away weekends for last years Big12 teams flips this year, the alternative to away at UH would have likely been away at Cinn or WV.  I think much better to play in Houston so local fan base can attend, and team travel is much easier.

Also, they have since fixed the days on the schedule

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HTXfan said:

That may be but it’s not a coincidence we have to go to UH for football, volleyball, soccer, baseball, women’s tennis, WBB (no home game for Texas) and the home and home for MBB (in which we don’t get to host Kansas). I would be so unsurprised if we also play at UH in softball too

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, wahorn said:

Do you think the Washington series is a home and home or is that just a one-time thing?

I live in the PNW and would love for the horns to come here. 

I would hope the San Diego series is home and away too.  That's a nice trip.  I also live in Seattle..

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Zero true road weekend series in non-conf.  Boo.

Starting to feel like Gus is doing our schedules again.

I am gruntled.  While I would also like a marquee/destination road trip as a fan it's ok with the end of the line for the Pac12 and with Texas moving to the SEC.  I am also fine with the west coast teams they are playing OOC.  It'll be the first time they play Washington.  The conference schedule is different obviously, and there is no traditional break for finals.  It's also for the first time in a while with a full 56 game schedule.

Edited by petscii

3 minutes ago, petscii said:

I am gruntled.  It might be because it's the end of the line for the Pac12 and with Texas moving to the SEC.  I am also fine with the west coast teams they are playing OOC.  It'll be the first time they play Washington.  The conference schedule is different obviously, and there is no traditional break for finals.  It's also for the first time in a while with a full 56 game schedule.

Yeah, I get all that.  I was just hoping for a destination for a weekend roadie.  I went to Fullerton last year and South Carolina the year before.

Orlando doesn't really do it for me.

7 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Yeah, I get all that.  I was just hoping for a destination for a weekend roadie.  I went to Fullerton last year and South Carolina the year before.

Orlando doesn't really do it for me.

Yeah, I go every year too.  Orlando in May makes me pause as well,  I think BYU might have been a nice trip.  Past years there have been huge chunks midseason where they were playing the "9 guys named Joe" in between the "good games"

Can't wait!

Washington plays a 48 game schedule next year with 27 being road or neutral. 

Edited by petscii

3 minutes ago, petscii said:

The B1G baseball schedule in 2025 is going to be wild. UCLA/USC are going to have a lot of visitors early in the season bc the B1G fields are frozen 

4 minutes ago, petscii said:

Yeah, I go every year too.  Orlando in May makes me pause as well,  I think BYU might have been a nice trip.  Past years there have been huge chunks midseason where they were playing the "9 guys named Joe" in between the "good games"

Can't wait!

I was hoping for BYU.  Never been to Utah and that would have been a good trip.

Just now, Js1 said:

The B1G baseball schedule in 2025 is going to be wild. UCLA/USC are going to have a lot of visitors early in the season bc the B1G fields are frozen 

Yawp,  I am more positive with former pac 12 teams being available for Washington to play (non conference @Stanford would be swell), than I am havig Baylor/Texas Tech back in Austin in February...   

19 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Probably depends on y'all's new conference setup for baseball season in 2025.  But based on names, distances, and the date they're doing it---they has all the smackings of a multi-year home/home series.  Only catch I see is that we're not going to West Coast at all this season.  Even after we join SEC and travel even more just for conference play, no way in the world do we skip California two years in a row.  Maybe it's return trip to USD, or Cal Poly, or reboot of CSU-Fullerton or Stanford.  As such, I could very well see us playing in California somewhere in 2025 and then return trip to Seattle to play UW in 2026.  If that's the case, my girls will be old enough and we're in.  Pick us up at the airport, would you please? 

You can light rail from SeaTac Airport to Husky Ballpark.  

On 10/23/2023 at 1:41 PM, YGIFS said:

That’s all I need personally. The wife would likely not green light the expense though.  And while I’d be happy to bring the girls along, she and I both know they’d get bored out of their fucking mind by day two.  And it’s not like I can play it off as an educational opportunity in America’s backwards south.  I can’t wait to take them to New Orleans, Savannah, and Charleston; Nashville; Asheville, etc.  but Alabama?  Yeah; they don’t really have a penchant for the confederacy and fried food.  

we are gonna blow it out this May at Arlington though.  One last big 13 hurrah 

You should expand your thinking.  I think you are parroting old stereotypes.  Those towns you mentioned are not exactly bastions of liberal progressive thinking.  They share a lot more in common with B'ham than you realize.  Id give Bham shot if i were you though.  Its not like you have tons of time in between games.  Judging from your comments, you strike me as someone who has a bit of wanderlust.  Huntsville,AL is a great city, very friendly and progressive and has an incredible Space Industry and museum, its appx. an hour or so from there.  That part of AL has a lot more topographical change than the flat beaches of lower AL.  If you like hiking, there is plenty to do with your kids in the downtime.  Tuscaloosa is down the road less than an hour.  2/3 of the last several incoming Freshmen classes at Bama are from out of state, so something is drawing them to AL.   I'm certainly no AL apologist, but I likely have a good many years on you  and have worked in the Southeast for 25 years.  I would encourage you to expand your thinking a bit on AL and the south in general.  There is racism everywhere and AL has a storied reputation no doubt, but you may give it a chance, we'll all be getting a heavy dose of the south as new SEC members and I think we all may be surprised what we find.

Edited by jdhorn92

I like baseball.  Even played a college semester of it in the south-albeit Florida.  But I’m fucking done with the backwards south.  I can’t fake it anymore like I used to.  I have dark skinned daughters now so I don’t give a fuck.   I’m outta here.  

My nephew is there for the weekend doing the visit thing. He gets to be on the sidelines during the FB game tomorrow I think. His dad texted me some photos from the visit so far. Have to get the socials pics I guess.

I hope he ends up in the program but I can't root against him continuing to do what he is doing and getting drafted. I selfishly want to see him play for Texas though. 

Resized_20231103_162350_20231103_162714.jpeg

IMG_9477_20231103_163101.jpg

• Hook 'Em 9

5 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Hope San Diego and Cal Poly are home and home as well.

I would like a return to Hawai'i.  I'd like the opportunity to go to Pepperdine.  See also Wichita State.   A barnstorm of Washington- Oregon-State, Oregon would be awesome as well.  I am looking forward over the next X years to visit all the SEC schools.  I'd really like an Ann Arbor baseball trip but I don't think that is practical outside of a regional/super regional.

I also need to do Omaha at some point.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

My nephew is there for the weekend doing the visit thing. He gets to be on the sidelines during the FB game tomorrow I think. His dad texted me some photos from the visit so far. Have to get the socials pics I guess.

I hope he ends up in the program but I can't root against him continuing to do what he is doing and getting drafted. I selfishly want to see him play for Texas though. 

That's awesome.  Either choice is rare air, congrats to your nephew.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thought it was interesting that Pierce told the LHN guys that neither Galvan or Schuessler have separated themselves yet at catcher and both would likely play to start the year.

Galvan does look more polished defensively (threw a runner out as I was typing this).

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

Nik Sanders will be starting at catcher early in the season. Dude can hit. 

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Thought it was interesting that Pierce told the LHN guys that neither Galvan or Schuessler have separated themselves yet at catcher and both would likely play to start the year.

Galvan does look more polished defensively (threw a runner out as I was typing this).

Sanders has already a hit a 2 run bomb this weekend and a couple more extra base hits. I put my money on Sanders if he is even remotely capable behind the plate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Nik Sanders will be starting at catcher early in the season. Dude can hit. 

Sanders has already a hit a 2 run bomb this weekend and a couple more extra base hits. I put my money on Sanders if he is even remotely capable behind the plate. 

There seems to be some thought Sanders will end up in the OF longterm. We’ll see. I don’t think they trust him behind the plate yet but he should definitely get some DH opportunities with the way he has been swinging it so far.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There seems to be some thought Sanders will end up in the OF longterm. We’ll see. I don’t think they trust him behind the plate yet but he should definitely get some DH opportunities with the way he has been swinging it so far.

Sanders was by far the most underrated player in our '23 class. 

2 years ago Perfect Game had him as a top 25 recruit but he battled some injury issues. I think a lot of people are about to be really shocked by Sanders. That dude is a hell of a talent when healthy. 

15 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

DH or let him battle with O’Dowd. I tend to think the upside from Cummings/Belyeu/Sanders is higher than Storm anyways 

Belyeu apparently hasn’t had the best fall, which is unfortunate because he was so good over the summer.

Gasparino definitely has the upper hand on him for RF. And Brown is obviously starting in LF. Leaves CF as the only real open spot, with Thomas/Cummings/Farmer as the realistic options.

Edited by Hookem2147

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Belyeu apparently hasn’t had the best fall, which is unfortunate because he was so good over the summer.

Gasparino definitely has the upper hand on him for RF. And Brown is obviously starting in LF. Leaves CF as the only real open spot, with Thomas/Cummings/Farmer as the realistic options.

I think Cummings is going to start in center. He's a perfect lead-off guy and good defensively. Steals a ton of bases at the top of the order.