2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

1 hour ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Feel like it’s gotta be better than 50/50 that DC is back

Yep if I understand the numbers correctly, LA only has about $250K left for the unsigned players.  I'd be surprised if they got DC for that.  Most ovf their signees were over the slot value, and I wonder if part of that is they got an early indication that he was not going to sign.

16 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Yep if I understand the numbers correctly, LA only has about $250K left for the unsigned players.  I'd be surprised if they got DC for that.  Most ovf their signees were over the slot value, and I wonder if part of that is they got an early indication that he was not going to sign.

Maybe LA is playing hardball with DC?

OB mod said late yesterday that Campbell would be signing. He had gone back and forth on the decision and he had his parents support to return to Texas if he wanted. Texas made him a competitive NIL offer but he would lose all his leverage if he returned. It wouldn’t have done him much good. 

Maybe something has changed in the last 24 hours but I’d be surprised.

• Hook 'Em 1

The other thing with Galvan is he's actually pretty good at working walks (especially for a guy that strikes out as much as he does). 

I don't think his issue is plate discipline. I get the idea that he's trying to swing for the fences too much so the key will be trying to find a balance between hitting for power and average. 

That's a normal problem for a young hitter. The walks and power seem to suggest there's definitely something to work with. 

32 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

OB mod said late yesterday that Campbell would be signing. He had gone back and forth on the decision and he had his parents support to return to Texas if he wanted. Texas made him a competitive NIL offer but he would lose all his leverage if he returned. It wouldn’t have done him much good. 

I don’t understand why the Junior/senior leverage matters if you’re at a competitive NIL school. He’s getting his signing bonus this summer regardless of whether it’s coming from NIL or LA

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Wish DC the best; he played his butt off for us.  Personally I think the Dodgers are getting a steal.  

27 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Wish DC the best; he played his butt off for us.  Personally I think the Dodgers are getting a steal.  

Hope so but I can never predict these things. Dustin Majewski was a .400 college hitter and never got out of the minors.

Brandon Belt was very good and all but I would never have predicted he would be the big Major League Star of our UT position players from that decade.

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Hope so but I can never predict these things. Dustin Majewski was a .400 college hitter and never got out of the minors.

Brandon Belt was very good and all but I would never have predicted he would be the big Major League Star of our UT position players from that decade.

Agree, there is a reason I’m not a scout.  Well more than one reason…

10 hours ago, cochamps said:

They have 250-275 left over from their bonus pool but you can go 5% over your pool amount and just pay a tax so that’s another 300ish. They have around 600k left before they would lose picks next year. 

Anybody advising the kid to do anything other than take 500k and go join a top 3 organization in baseball doesn’t have his best interest in mind. 

Edited by bEastTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

I don’t understand why the Junior/senior leverage matters if you’re at a competitive NIL school. He’s getting his signing bonus this summer regardless of whether it’s coming from NIL or LA

I highly, highly doubt our NIL offer is $500k or whatever the slot value is for his pick. Just like our NIL offer to Witt damn sure wasn’t $2.5 million or whatever he was demanding from teams (he would still have leverage next year though so little different situation). There is a factor of some dudes just want to run it back and enjoy the college experience or graduate or not leave their girlfriend or whatever it might be that is non-NIL related.

These dudes would take a haircut by coming back. They would be compensated well by NIL college baseball standards, but college baseball NIL is never going to match up with MLB signing bonuses in the top 5-6 rounds.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, bEastTexas said:

They have 250-275 left over from their bonus pool but you can go 5% over your pool amount and just pay a tax so that’s another 300ish. They have around 600k left before they would lose picks next year. 

Anybody advising the kid to do anything other than take 500k and go join a top 3 organization in baseball doesn’t have his best interest in mind. 

There is about half of that amount left in their bonus pool though.  That is the problem...

Encouraged that Galvan has caught the last 2 of 3 games where he needs work.

SB has 6 games left before going to the NBC World Series (National Baseball Congress) at Wichita St's home field from Aug 3-12.    Close to class start date  assume he and Flores will travel.

https://nbcbaseball.com/bids-announced/

Edited by torre

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

OB hinting that there is still work being done in the portal. Assuming it is Montgomery.

It’s been said we had a competitive offer for Lucas and DC. Lucas signed for 300k  so I’m assuming competitive offer in that neighborhood, if they both had 200-250k NIL offers with them signing it would reason we should have a nice slush fund to money whip a guy or 2. 

12 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Big difference between a year in a good mlb minor league system and playing college ball. Much better coaching for one. 

It’s like always practicing golf off mats vs practicing off real grass 

3 hours ago, bEastTexas said:

It’s been said we had a competitive offer for Lucas and DC. Lucas signed for 300k  so I’m assuming competitive offer in that neighborhood, if they both had 200-250k NIL offers with them signing it would reason we should have a nice slush fund to money whip a guy or 2. 

Your logic is fine on this, but it isn't working that way in this cycle. Had Gordon or Campbell taken the offers, that money would have been recruited for them. It's not currently in the bank account looking to be deployed in another direction, I can tell you that with certainty. If they do land someone from the portal, the situation doesn't change - that money needs to get recruited.

If someone is honestly going to moneywhip Montgomery, I view Texas being the school doing that at close to 0%. Now, if all offers are reasonable, Texas has made one of those and could win out based on degree quality, perhaps. The agent played for Pierce. That's also a factor, but just might be the factor that got them to return our calls.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, cochamps said:

Agree, there is a reason I’m not a scout.  Well more than one reason…

I never even look at batting average, and scouts do so less and less, I would think. There are ten (10) guys in the entire MLB with a BA over .300. Ten.  It's not a great way to judge guys these days.

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If someone is honestly going to moneywhip Montgomery, I view Texas being the school doing that at close to 0%. Now, if all offers are reasonable, Texas has made one of those and could win out based on degree quality, perhaps. The agent played for Pierce. That's also a factor, but just might be the factor that got them to return our calls.

His GF is also now at Texas. 

1 hour ago, zlavydra said:

I never even look at batting average, and scouts do so less and less, I would think. There are ten (10) guys in the entire MLB with a BA over .300. Ten.  It's not a great way to judge guys these days.

Not sure why this is a reply to me.  I said nothing about batting average - that was another poster discussing Dustin M.

21 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I remember the CWS broadcasters saying that David Maroul was going to skyrocket through the Giants organization. He was playing remarkably well at the time though. Michael Hollimon made it to the big leagues briefly, but I don’t think Seth Johnston (drafted 11 rounds higher) ever did.

I know this probably isn’t the proper venue, but does anybody remember what the story was with Sam Stafford? I know he got hurt, but I don’t recall if that was the reason he didn’t sign with the Yankees. The Campbell stuff had me thinking of guys who were drafted high but didn’t sign. Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Congrats to DC. Noble to consider returning, but his Texas legacy is in tact. Time to go get paid and chase his dreams at the next level. He earned it. As many have stated, a better opportunity/organization would be very hard to come by.

• Hook 'Em 1

Belyeu playing pretty well out in California: 

https://sbforesters.org/foresters-were-victorious-in-10-9-extra-inning-thriller/?fbclid=IwAR1E75NVK4wuXNc_W55eC5LTd1ybUlOp_nzq-Le8Ddy23wC4dmt-rHulvz4

The Foresters stunned the Riptide with an 11th-inning, five-run comeback win. After the pitching tossed a no-hitter on Thursday night, it was the offense’s turn to carry the load. Three home runs from Rylan Galvan, Max Belyeu, and Greg Pace powered the Foresters to a 10-9 win.

The Riptide jumped on the Foresters in the 3rd inning with a groundout from Reese Chapman that scored Cooper Dulich for a 1-0 lead. Rylan Galvan promptly responded with a solo home run to knot the game up at 1-1. Chapman continued to add on runs for the Riptide with a two-run blast to put his team up 3-1. Another home run from Max Belyeu cut the Foresters’ deficit to one run with a solo shot to left field. The ‘Sters took the lead 4-3 in the 7th inning due to a Greg Pace home run that scored Galvan from second. 

The Foresters were one out away from winning the ball game until the Riptide tied the game 4-4 on a wild pitch. Both teams scored their base runners from second base and then the Riptide put up a four spot in the 11th inning. They scored their ghost runner and a crucial error from Ryan Black allowed the bases to clear for the Riptide and they went up 9-5. 

Just when the game seemed out of reach, the Foresters never gave up. Two costly errors by the Riptide boosted the Foresters to a 10-9 walkoff victory. Belyeu singled to left field to score Pace for the winning run. After the game, the Foresters’ manager, Bill Pintard, commented on his team’s grit, “I have been coaching for a long time and this team refuses to believe that they are out of anything. I love them so much. We are thin, we are injured, we are tired, we are beat up, but we do not quit”. 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Yep. He's hitting .346 with an OBP of .421. 

Flores has been heating up a little as well. Was well below .200 for a while but is now up to .250.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Things have sure changed.  I checked and there are at least 34 guys who have struck out 100 or more times already.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Good for him. The MLB signing tracker at five minutes ago showed he was unsigned.  When I saw this I checked again and it indeed said he was signed.  Glad he got more money, but sorry to see him go.  Good luck in the pros.