2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

8 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Elder got better as a sophomore. Montgomery got worse.

Elder had the same number of innings his Freshman year as Montgomery did in 2 seasons. Have to pitch to get better.

Brayden has thrown the equivalent of 3.5 college baseball games. Feel comfortable saying there is a lot to be developed there. Especially when you are touching 98 and have 47 strikeouts in 32.2 innings. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Montgomery is at the Cape playing for the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox.    Listed as a pitcher,  but has played RF in the 2 games he has been there.   Yarmouth is in 1st place in their Division so he may want to help them win the title.

Kid loves the game.   Wouldn't fault him for being at the beach with his girlfriend considering all the games he played this year (Stanford, NCAA playoffs, Team USA). 

http://baseball.pointstreak.com/team_roster.html?teamid=3430&seasonid=33591

On 7/18/2023 at 9:10 AM, closetojumping said:

Texas has made a case to Montgomery. His agent and Pierce know each other well. He’s getting offers above his performance (thus far), so I wouldn’t bet on him picking Texas. 

I would bet one of those teams "offering above performance" is aggy. I said this a couple of pages back but they've done nothing substantial on the transfer market and didn't return any of the borderline players that were a draft risk. 

Then Pagiarini (their best transfer addition) signed with a MLB team. They almost certainly have a lot of NIL sitting around because they haven't done much of anything. 

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I would bet one of those teams "offering above performance" is aggy. I said this a couple of pages back but they've done nothing substantial on the transfer market and didn't return any of the borderline players that were a draft risk. 

Then Pagiarini (their best transfer addition) signed with a MLB team. They almost certainly have a lot of NIL sitting around because they haven't done much of anything. 

Maybe. ATM’s not very well focused on NIL for any sport outside of football. They act like they care about baseball, but I don’t know to what level they have legit baseball benefactors. 

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe. ATM’s not very well focused on NIL for any sport outside of football. They act like they care about baseball, but I don’t know to what level they have legit baseball benefactors. 

I guess we need to see what happens with Montgomery but I've seen no evidence they're really committed to baseball so far. They're taking a lot of transfers but no big names the last 2 cycles outside of Haas ('22) who only followed Earley from Arizona State. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

It sounds like it is down to Mississippi State or LSU for Holman (Bama transfer). I’m assuming Mississippi State also had to spend some NIL capital to get Dakota Jordan to withdraw from the portal. They are heavily involved with Montgomery but I’m assuming they can’t pay everyone. Will be interesting to see what happens if Holman falls their way. A good majority of that fanbase is out on Lemonis so I can’t imagine NIL funding is what it could be.

Edited by Hookem2147

46 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It sounds like it is down to Mississippi State or LSU for Holman (Bama transfer). I’m assuming Mississippi State also had to spend some NIL capital to get Dakota Jordan to withdraw from the portal. They are heavily involved with Montgomery but I’m assuming they can’t pay everyone. Will be interesting to see what happens if Holman falls their way. A good majority of that fanbase is out on Lemonis so I can’t imagine NIL funding is what it could be.

I’m not involved or anything but it just seems hard to believe that a guy leaving Stanford would be interested in a school like Mississippi State. I guess LSU isn’t any better though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’m not involved or anything but it just seems hard to believe that a guy leaving Stanford would be interested in a school like Mississippi State. I guess LSU isn’t any better though. 

He's from Madison, Mississippi.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Stating the obvious but the NCAA is worthless now. 

Montgomery had a no-contact tag when he entered the portal so he already knew he was going to Mississippi State. So they clearly tampered. Then a bunch of other schools got involved and didn't even give a fuck about the no-contact tag. 

The NCAA is a joke. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Stating the obvious but the NCAA is worthless now. 

Montgomery had a no-contact tag when he entered the portal so he already knew he was going to Mississippi State. So they clearly tampered. Then a bunch of other schools got involved and didn't even give a fuck about the no-contact tag. 

The NCAA is a joke. 

The no-contact tag might be a little more complex. Could’ve been avoiding distractions during team USA stint, but didn’t want to miss the portal entry deadline by waiting 

2 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

The no-contact tag might be a little more complex. Could’ve been avoiding distractions during team USA stint, but didn’t want to miss the portal entry deadline by waiting 

Yeah, but schools were definitely contacting him even when he was with team USA. 

Reading between the lines, I think he went on a couple visits right after team USA (I wouldn't be surprised if 1 of those was Texas). 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, but schools were definitely contacting him even when he was with team USA. 

Reading between the lines, I think he went on a couple visits right after team USA (I wouldn't be surprised if 1 of those was Texas). 

Even so, I don't doubt that MSU pulled him in. Just that he would have the worst agent of all time if he put the no contact on and prevented an obvious bidding war

11 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Screenshot2023-07-21at23_40_04.thumb.png.54f14689edb5b864e41c34edf4d88170.png

Seems likely Campbell will eventually sign if they have over a $1 million left in bonus pool money. 

The only other players the Dodgers haven't signed are 16th rounder (Coleman-LSU), 17th rounder (Fox-Duke), and 20th rounder (Uiagalelei). Uiagalelei isn't signing and the other 2 aren't going to command much $. 

Campbell is likely getting a good bit over the $473K pick value if they have over a $1 million left in pool money. Only way he's returning if he just completely changed his mind about wanting to stay in college. Looks to me like the Dodgers knew Campbell might be a risk and made sure they had a lot of pool money left over to sign him. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Seems likely Campbell will eventually sign if they have over a $1 million left in bonus pool money. 

The only other players the Dodgers haven't signed are 16th rounder (Coleman-LSU), 17th rounder (Fox-Duke), and 20th rounder (Uiagalelei). Uiagalelei isn't signing and the other 2 aren't going to command much $. 

Campbell is likely getting a good bit over the $473K pick value if they have over a $1 million left in pool money. Only way he's returning if he just completely changed his mind about wanting to stay in college. Looks to me like the Dodgers knew Campbell might be a risk and made sure they had a lot of pool money left over to sign him. 

I tell myself every year that I don't care and I won't look until first day of class...     I think he should take the money and run...   I would love for him to come back...

Howe went back and edited his post. The Dodgers only have around 250-300k left now. Signed several later round picks for over 150k so it counter against their pool.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Howe went back and edited his post. The Dodgers only have around 250-300k left now. Signed several later round picks for over 150k so it counter against their pool.

Well, now I think there's a real possibility Campbell could return even though top 10 rounders almost never return. 

Signing 200k under slot value? Maybe Campbell is ready to move on to a pro career but that didn't sound like the pre-draft narrative. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Well, now I think there's a real possibility Campbell could return even though top 10 rounders almost never return. 

Signing 200k under slot value? Maybe Campbell is ready to move on to a pro career but that didn't sound like the pre-draft narrative. 

I'b be shocked if he would sign for under slot.  Did not expect him back, but if this latest info is correct that goes away, imo.

To clarify, the Dodgers only have $250-300k left in their pool but teams are able to go over their total bonus pool amount up to 5% without major penalty (just have to pay extra taxes on the overage).

If they maxed out the 5% that gives them another $300-400k to work with in addition to what they currently have left, but they have other unsigned guys too in the later rounds so not sure if they would use all of it on Campbell.

7 minutes ago, torre said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/dodgers-2023-draft-signings-tracker

Dodgers draft tracker including signing bonuses.     They think alot of pick 8.

Hopefully,  Dylan is getting excellent advice.   Best to him and his Family.

dodgers have an excellent farm system, it’s a great system with the coaching to match 

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

dodgers have an excellent farm system, it’s a great system with the coaching to match 

Unless they are offering him peanuts which I’m sure they aren’t there really isn’t a better situation for him. One of the premier organizations in baseball with an outstanding resume of developing prospects. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Unless they are offering him peanuts which I’m sure they aren’t there really isn’t a better situation for him. One of the premier organizations in baseball with an outstanding resume of developing prospects. 

He’d be a great fit in their system