2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

lsu should be #1 

If LSU adds Holman or Molina they should be in the discussion but I really don't like their rotation right now. 

Loer (primarily a reliever at Xavier)

Hurd (was good in the postseason but at one point in the season was moved out of the rotation)

Jump (has pitched 16 innings in 2 years of college ball)

Maybe a talented FR that made it to campus or somebody else? I don't think their rotation has much juice at all right now. They really need Holman or Molina. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Ok someone give me our roster breakdown as it looks now. Who’s the 3rd starter, who’s the late reliever, what’s the lineup look like?

Not sure the order or position for some, but as things currently stand lock in Thomas, Powell, Brown, Flores, Galvan and O’Dowd as very likely starters. That *likely* leaves 2 OF spots and a DH spot to battle between. Gasparino, Borba, Belyeu, Cummings, Sweeney, little Duplantier and maybe Sanders could factor into those spots.

Witt/LBJ leading the rotation. Rigney/Santos/Tumis/Hurley/Selvig battle it out for Sunday and midweek. Other guys head to the pen. I’d lean Rigney as the 3rd starter currently.

Mercer, Tole, Morris and Boehm will be backend of the pen guys. Harrison too whenever he gets back from injury.

Duplantier, Whitehead, Hamilton, Miranda and Grubbs probably middle relief dudes and then add in the 2 or 3 guys who don’t end up as starters.

I’m sure I’m missing a guy or two. Just did this off the top of my head.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

This is obviously an anecdotal look, but you can see how while they're are macro trends---there are a lot of outliers for guys drafted early who weren't bonused much, and then guys who went later who were given a surprisingly large sum.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?key_school=0972a433&exact=1&query_type=key_school

19 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

OB said one of the drafted players is having some FOMO and is discussing a potential return. Wasn’t Guillemette (signing Friday according to them) so I’m going to assume Sthele or Morehouse.

But what if it was Lucas… 

no chance right?

Morehouse would make sense financially (in terms of slot money/offer money/coming back here NiL money)

But as stated upthread...he'll be a a couple months  away from being 25 at next year's draft.  That's gotta factor in heavily to his decision to go right now.  

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea I don’t remember us being preseason #1 in 05. We were basically wire to wire #1 in 04 and then lost the title. 05 we lost Lecure right before the season and were breaking in a whole new staff. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NCAA_Division_I_baseball_rankings

Tulane didn't become number 1 until May.

40 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

So is that rumored transfer in the INF still happening or have things changed due to numbers? 

I think this is who OB was referring to and he's having a good summer 

Wasn’t the deal that the player is already in we’re just waiting on the announcement? 

2 minutes ago, Levi said:

Wasn’t the deal that the player is already in we’re just waiting on the announcement? 

Yeah, but numbers change. With Brown back, I now wonder if Belyeu is going to get some time in the INF. Played some 3B in HS. 

I get the vibe Texas really wasn't expecting Brown back but they made a last-minute push. 

Ok Texas was preseason #1 by the USA Today/ESPN Coaches' Poll and Collegiate Baseball poll. Does this mysterious curse of being #1 only happen if we are consensus?

Though, to be fair, the only two times I really remember being preseason #1 was 2005 and 2022 because we stayed there for awhile. I probably just don't remember the other times when we started #1 and then sucked. The preseason ranks really don't matter much in College Baseball anyway.

Edited by Valmy77

On 7/12/2023 at 7:43 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

Burns is really talented but he also seems like a major headache. 

The LSU and Tennessee boards both mentioned that his handlers were a major problem while he was at Tennessee. Now he doesn't want to pitch against the best in the SEC? On top of that, it sounds like had some grade/credit issues at multiple schools. 

For a guy that really didn't pitch well last season and wants top dollar, he seems like a major headache. He is talented though. 

Pitching lab >> old redass Frank

57 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Ok Texas was preseason #1 by the USA Today/ESPN Coaches' Poll and Collegiate Baseball poll. Does this mysterious curse of being #1 only happen if we are consensus?

Though, to be fair, the only two times I really remember being preseason #1 was 2005 and 2022 because we stayed there for awhile. I probably just don't remember the other times when we started #1 and then sucked. The preseason ranks really don't matter much in College Baseball anyway.

I’m just glad I’m not totally senile, but that being said I would really prefer not being ranked #1 until 6/24/24

• Hook 'Em 7

6 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I’m just glad I’m not totally senile, but that being said I would really prefer not being ranked #1 until 6/24/24

I got you. I would rather we have a season like 2002 where we sneak up on everybody and kick ass at the end. 

I did kind of dig the hype that was generated around campus by us being #1 in 2022. That was really fun while it lasted.

Feel like the player contemplating returning would be Sthele not Morehouse. Sthele is only a Redshirt Sophomore and could definitely improve his stock. Especially now that it is pretty evident that he is better pitching in short spurts out of the pen.

But maybe Zane got an offer that isn't any worse than what he would get with no leverage next year

• Hook 'Em 1

We’ve been playing 24 conference games for quite awhile.  I could see us bumping up to 27 and either shaving a weekend series or doing away with a few midweeks that have multiple n/c games.  

due to the new academic calendar, all finals are done 5/6, and almost all student athletes will be done on the 3rd or 4th.  That’s two weeks earlier than usual leaving us the ability to backfill with another weekend series either in conference or out. League tourney set to begin 5/22 in Arlington 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

We’ve been playing 24 conference games for quite awhile.  I could see us bumping up to 27 and either shaving a weekend series or doing away with a few midweeks that have multiple n/c games.  

due to the new academic calendar, all finals are done 5/6, and almost all student athletes will be done on the 3rd or 4th.  That’s two weeks earlier than usual leaving us the ability to backfill with another weekend series either in conference or out. League tourney set to begin 5/22 in Arlington 

You are doing the Lord's work on this Board!  Thanks, buddy.

11 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I got you. I would rather we have a season like 2002 where we sneak up on everybody and kick ass at the end. 

I did kind of dig the hype that was generated around campus by us being #1 in 2022. That was really fun while it lasted.

the problem with that ranking that early is that the real estate values on this part of the board go through the roof with all the newcomers and us oldtimers get grumpy and want them to fuck off and leave. I much prefer when they simply vacation here in May and June.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Checked the stats yesterday and Flores and Galvan are not doing well in summer ball.  Belyeu is on the same team and is doing pretty well.  Flores and Galvan have low batting averages and too many strikeouts and don't seem to be improving over what they did during the season this year.  I hope Flores and Galvan pick it up in those categories if they are expected to have significant roles at UT next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, troph said:

the problem with that ranking that early is that the real estate values on this part of the board go through the roof with all the newcomers and us oldtimers get grumpy and want them to fuck off and leave. I much prefer when they simply vacation here in May and June.

This board needs to be locked when the conference tourney starts. That's really when all the shit-posters come out of the woodwork. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, .45s said:

Checked the stats yesterday and Flores and Galvan are not doing well in summer ball.  Belyeu is on the same team and is doing pretty well.  Flores and Galvan have low batting averages and too many strikeouts and don't seem to be improving over what they did during the season this year.  I hope Flores and Galvan pick it up in those categories if they are expected to have significant roles at UT next year.

especially given the waste of a DH spot we had with him last year batting what .200?  Upgrading that alone might have made a difference in some games.

• Hook 'Em 1

especially given the waste of a DH spot we had with him last year batting what .200?  Upgrading that alone might have made a difference in some games.

I’d be curious to see the numbers of our DH. I’m not sure it was that bad.

Flores horrible average was largely due to his non-DH games. Maybe the stats say differently, but that’s my recollection. Much of Galvans work was at C with GG DHIng there. Carlson was doing fine until he got hurt.

Mind you, I’m not saying DH was good or average.

56 minutes ago, .45s said:

39 minutes ago, troph said:

The good news is this roster will have options galore.

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Would you say championship or bust? lol

No I only say that for women's volleyball, women's tennis, men's swimming, women's track and field and women's rowing. #ChampsonChamps

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, .45s said:

I'm honestly a little surprised Flores and Galvan are even still playing. I know last summer Dylan Campbell went out and played in Santa Barbara for like 2 games, went 0 for 9 and then went back home.

Not going to make excuses for them because how they do in the fall/spring will tell the real story, but this has likely been the longest season of baseball for either of them at any point in their life. Fatigue sets in at some point.

Like was mentioned above, we have options. Maybe less so at SS currently but I know Ardoin's little bro will come in with the makeup to play early and I would be shocked if some depth wasn't added up the middle between now and the fall.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, .45s said:

they both need to show up next season 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I'm honestly a little surprised Flores and Galvan are even still playing. I know last summer Dylan Campbell went out and played in Santa Barbara for like 2 games, went 0 for 9 and then went back home.

Not going to make excuses for them because how they do in the fall/spring will tell the real story, but this has likely been the longest season of baseball for either of them at any point in their life. Fatigue sets in at some point.

Like was mentioned above, we have options. Maybe less so at SS currently but I know Ardoin's little bro will come in with the makeup to play early and I would be shocked if some depth wasn't added up the middle between now and the fall.

In general, summer ball is not always a great predictor of success or failure. 

Guillemette also really struggled in his summer league last year. Think he hit around .200. I'm not sold on Galvan, but I bet Flores is eventually a very good hitter based on his prep profile and his raw power. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, .45s said:

Is there any correlation between performance in summer ball and the subsequent season?  

Looks like Ricky answered that question to some extent.

Edited by zlavydra

19 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I see us as a team ranked between 10 and 20 currently. Still a question mark or two offensively that will need to be answered. Pitching looks much better this year than headed into 2023.

You are being overly conservative to a silly level. 

4 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

This board needs to be locked when the conference tourney starts. That's really when all the shit-posters come out of the woodwork. 

That’s not entirely true. You post on this forum all year. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Bingham is a good player but like the route we took with the OF. 

Gasparino (one of the top prep hitters for 2 or 3 years compared to 1 for Bingham) and then Brown (a slightly worse college player than Bingham but we also likely got him for much cheaper). 

Hard to imagine we are after another OF so I bet we're not even involved with Braden Montgomery. Unless he wants to DH and pitch here. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed