Big 12 basketball 2023-2024 season - One Final Rodeo

Pancho

51 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

OU is going to end up being a bubble team. Haven’t been impressed and I think Moser has a little Barnes in him where his teams tend to wear down as the season goes on.

They went on that run beating Iowa, USC, Providence, and Arkansas so everyone thought they were good. Turns out none of those teams are any good. 

This is one thing I was very worried about with this Tech team is whether or not they would be able to respond and adjust when the shots just aren't falling. 20% from 3 on the night but they managed to buckle down on defense, force 18 turnovers (!), and find a way to put the ball in the hoop in the second half.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You have to be pretty pleased with the season thus far. Meant to watch your game today but got busy.

I meant our last game against Okie State but yeah.

After last year, anything would have been better, but McCasland really portaled well and has everyone really playing well together. And that's with one of our best players out for the season.

Depth may become a concern.

Lots of those teams playing each other this week.  Man, it would be nice tomorrow if BYU would have one of those nights where they can't hit shit from 3, because I think we can bully the fuck out of them everywhere else.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

9 hours ago, 76Jayhawk said:

Damn, road games in the Big 12 are hell.

Seems like there are two approaches on that:

1) Play some road games pre-Conference and get your legs under ya. Nah...fuck that!

2)  Make your non-con schedule money games at home against Multi Directional barely above NAIA schools and work the stat sheet before the Big XII gauntlet. 

Tech had one non-con road game and they took Butler to OT before losing in Indy.  It was a great game that made this team come together.  I do think it's also a function of the transfer portal.  Coaches ain't exactly chomping at the bit to go play tough road games early in the season, but like this example, there can be a benefit, too.  You don't have to be perfect in basketball to make the dance.  I wish more risk was taken; but it doesn't appear to be happening any time soon.

Edited by slorch

Brutal stretch upcoming for Tech starting tonight:

Wed, Jan 17    @Houston
Sat, Jan 20    vs BYU
Sat, Jan 27    @Oklahoma
Tue, Jan 30    @TCU

I'd be happy as a pig in shit with a 2-2 split here. All of these teams are very good.

Line tonight is -12.5 UH which seems absolutely insane for a conference game but it's possible they kick our asses in a home game where they're pissed off after 2 straight losses.

We shot poorly last night, got in foul trouble with our front court, and BYU is a team that's very good from 3 who was very good from 3.  I'm not even a little concerned.  This is a classic ISU team that terrorizes everyone in Hilton, will be lucky to win 2 Big 12 road games, and if they make a run in Kansas City could sneak up to a 4-6 seed at best.  Probably in the 7-10 range with the shit non-conference slate, and how far we get in the tournament will depend on the stylistic matchups of the team we draw.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We shot poorly last night, got in foul trouble with our front court, and BYU is a team that's very good from 3 who was very good from 3.  I'm not even a little concerned.  This is a classic ISU team that terrorizes everyone in Hilton, will be lucky to win 2 Big 12 road games, and if they make a run in Kansas City could sneak up to a 4-6 seed at best.  Probably in the 7-10 range with the shit non-conference slate, and how far we get in the tournament will depend on the stylistic matchups of the team we draw.

History will tell us that ISU will run hard and win the Big 12 Tournament out of nowhere, then get into the first round as a trendy pick because they are hot and lose to some midmajor in the first round.

5 minutes ago, JWinTX said:

History will tell us that ISU will run hard and win the Big 12 Tournament out of nowhere, then get into the first round as a trendy pick because they are hot and lose to some midmajor in the first round.

This scenario has actually never happened, but it feels like it has.

In 2015 they won the Big 12 tournament and lost to a mid major in the first round, but they hardly came out of nowhere.  The team was ranked pretty much all season and finished in 2nd or 3rd place.  They were 12-6 in league play on the regular season.

In 2019 they won the Big 12 tournament, a little bit out of nowhere (talented team that looked to have fallen apart down the stretch of conference play), and lost to Ohio State in a 6/11 game.  Yeah, they should have won, but it wasn't a mid-major either.

Every other time ISU's won the Big 12 or Big 8 tournament they at least got to the round of 32, and the time they got beat by Hampton they didn't win the Big 12 tournament.

dajuan harris might be the best perimeter defender i’ve seen in this league, and that’s really saying something. royal ivey, avery bradley, tony allen, doj balbay and more. maybe some of them were better man to man, but he disrupts the passing lanes and makes steals like nothing i’ve ever seen. 

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This scenario has actually never happened, but it feels like it has.

In 2015 they won the Big 12 tournament and lost to a mid major in the first round, but they hardly came out of nowhere.  The team was ranked pretty much all season and finished in 2nd or 3rd place.  They were 12-6 in league play on the regular season.

In 2019 they won the Big 12 tournament, a little bit out of nowhere (talented team that looked to have fallen apart down the stretch of conference play), and lost to Ohio State in a 6/11 game.  Yeah, they should have won, but it wasn't a mid-major either.

Every other time ISU's won the Big 12 or Big 8 tournament they at least got to the round of 32, and the time they got beat by Hampton they didn't win the Big 12 tournament.

I disagree but you're mostly right...?

27 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Fist fight in Houston as expected. UH has landed a few more punches than Tech. Boy could we really use Devan Cambridge right about now to help with some size.

Yeah it started out as a fist fight, now it feels like a pummeling 

On 1/13/2024 at 3:40 PM, Hookem2147 said:

OU is going to end up being a bubble team. Haven’t been impressed and I think Moser has a little Barnes in him where his teams tend to wear down as the season goes on.

Not sure what you have been watching.  

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Not sure what you have been watching.  

We’ll see what happens. Their “signature” non con wins now look pretty bad: USC, Arkansas, Providence.

I didn’t expect them to beat Cincy today so it’s possible they end up being much better than I anticipated.

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We’ll see what happens. Their “signature” non con wins now look pretty bad: USC, Arkansas, Providence.

I didn’t expect them to beat Cincy today so it’s possible they end up being much better than I anticipated.

Don’t think they’re a top 4 seed.  But bubble seems a real stretch.  Solid computer numbers which won’t drop much with rest of the schedule very stout.  Likely 5-6 seed.  

But the conference will be a grind.  Anyone can fall apart outside of Houston and KU.