Big 12 basketball 2023-2024 season - One Final Rodeo

Pancho

Texas Tech Forward Devan Cambridge is out for the season with a knee injury. He was averaging 10.5 pts and 4.5 boards per game with 52.7% shooting and 26 minutes per game. It is a devastating loss of a guy who was showing lots of promise in Grant McCasland’s program.

On 12/7/2023 at 6:34 PM, LTtxfan said:

Nae’Qwan Tomlin

K-State President went against AD and Coach Tang's recommendations and dismissed Tomlin. 

Wednesday:

Tang, AD and fans thought Tomlin "would have an opportunity to return to the team after his legal issues were resolved. Tomlin appeared to be taking steps toward that when he was granted diversion in late November. Without any charges hanging over his head, he was then allowed to return to the K-State bench during games, albeit in street clothes."  

It looked like he was nearing a return. But no progress has been made since then. He has served what amounts to a nine-game suspension, and there appears to be no end in sight.

That theory had gained so much steam that a group of K-State students gathered outside of Linton’s house in a mini protest on Wednesday and voiced their support of Tomlin.  At one point during the rally, Tomlin even pulled up and cheered the crowd on from the passenger seat of a car.  

TODAY:

K-State dismisses forward Tomlin month after arrest; fans shower criticism on administration

By DAVE SKRETTA, AP Sports Writer  • 4h

Tomlin graduates in a few days, and can immediately transfer, and play in January 2024.

Gone at Kstate.  Already in the portal, and immediately eligible to play...

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This is the second straight season Baylor might not be able to stop anyone. I also got my eye on Cincy because they have played absolutely no one so far. Might be frauds.

They haven't been able to defend anyone since Tang left. 

I'm interested to see what Tang does in the next couple of years at K-State because I'm starting to believe he might be the truth. 

On 12/16/2023 at 5:54 PM, Hookem2147 said:

This is the second straight season Baylor might not be able to stop anyone. I also got my eye on Cincy because they have played absolutely no one so far. Might be frauds.

Cincy loses to Dayton last night and Nebraska runs Kansas State off the floor in the second half today.

The Big 12 is going to be the strongest league in the country but it's going to be a tangled mess after the top 3-4 spots. 10-8 probably has you in the hunt for a top 5 spot as crazy as it sounds. I have a feeling the middle of the pack is going to be that close. Was looking back through the standings in previous years and two years ago TCU got 5th in the conference at 8-10 and Iowa State made the tournament despite finishing conference play at 7-11. The extra teams probably prevent that from happening again but it's going to be a wild ride.

Edited by Hookem2147

BYU is #4 in NET and they've beaten a grand total of 1 team that will likely make the NCAA tournament. 

They've been mainly just beating the shit of out bad teams (Houston Christian, Southeastern Louisiana, Morgan State, Arizona State, Fresno State, Evansville, Denver, and Georgia State). This system sucks and rewards the BYU and Iowa States of the world. 

BYU is #4 in NET and they've beaten a grand total of 1 team that will likely make the NCAA tournament. 
They've been mainly just beating the shit of out bad teams (Houston Christian, Southeastern Louisiana, Morgan State, Arizona State, Fresno State, Evansville, Denver, and Georgia State). This system sucks and rewards the BYU and Iowa States of the world. 

Why do you think we’re playing this awful schedule?
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

OU playing their 1st real team of the season and getting beat handily. It's interesting that OU doesn't play their 1st true road game until 1/10/2024. My guess is they finish the conference with a losing record.

Yeah, they're getting a lot of credit for beating a bunch of mediocre to bad power conference teams. 

Arkansas, Iowa, and USC don't look particularly good. Providence might be decent (10-2) but #40 in Kenpom. 

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Big 12 KenPom rankings:

#1 Houston

#5 BYU

#10 Iowa State

#13 Kansas

#18 Baylor

#22 Oklahoma

#37 Texas

#39 Cincy

#40 TCU

#45 Texas Tech

#67 Kansas State

#79 UCF

#94 Oklahoma State

#136 West Virginia

The thing that's propping the Big 12 up this year are Iowa State, BYU, and OU. 

But if you look closely at who they've played you realize there's not much there. I think OU is probably pretty good. Maybe not #22 good but still good. There is no shot Iowa State and BYU are top 10 teams. I think both those teams will finish .500 or worse in the Big 12. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

Even when Kansas struggles in non-conference, they almost always put it together enough to win the Big12 every year. Its still either them or newcomer Houston who I think will compete for the Big12 title

By wide open, I think the champ will have 5+ losses. With an unbalanced schedule, there are several teams other than KU and UH that could hit that mark.

Weird time to enter the portal.  Rumor du jour is that Pops Isaacs nailed Steffe's sister while on the Bahamas/ Atlantis tournament trip.  That'd be 'family reasons,' I guess.  Drama these days...

Drew Steffe, a freshman on the Texas Tech basketball team, has officially entered the transfer portal, a Texas Tech spokesman confirmed Thursday evening.

Steffe, a 6-foot-5 forward out of Frisco Memorial High School, has been away from the team the past few weeks for what head coach Grant McCasland called "family reasons."

Steffe was one of two signings out of high school to join McCasland's inaugural squad, along with 6-8 forward Eemeli Yalaho. He originally signed under coach Mark Adams. but honored his commitment with Adams' departure and the hiring of McCasland from North Texas.

Yet to see the floor through Texas Tech's first 13 games, Steffe was on course to redshirt this season.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Weird time to enter the portal.  Rumor du jour is that Pops Isaacs nailed Steffe's sister while on the Bahamas/ Atlantis tournament trip.  That'd be 'family reasons,' I guess.  Drama these days...

Drew Steffe, a freshman on the Texas Tech basketball team, has officially entered the transfer portal, a Texas Tech spokesman confirmed Thursday evening.

Steffe, a 6-foot-5 forward out of Frisco Memorial High School, has been away from the team the past few weeks for what head coach Grant McCasland called "family reasons."

Steffe was one of two signings out of high school to join McCasland's inaugural squad, along with 6-8 forward Eemeli Yalaho. He originally signed under coach Mark Adams. but honored his commitment with Adams' departure and the hiring of McCasland from North Texas.

Yet to see the floor through Texas Tech's first 13 games, Steffe was on course to redshirt this season.

Let me get this straight. A booster  buys booze for the players, one of the players then molests a 17 year old (possibly a teammates sister, if the rumor Slorch mentioned is to be believed). It gets reported to Tech in mid december, and the  dude is still playing? Nice fucking job Tech

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39248936/civil-lawsuit-filed-texas-tech-basketball-pop-isaacs

Texas Tech basketball player Pop Isaacs is accused in a civil lawsuit of assaulting a minor during a team trip to the Bahamas in November.

The lawsuit, a copy of which was obtained by ESPN, was filed in Lubbock County District Court by the parents of the girl who says she was assaulted.

The girl was 17 at the time of the alleged incident. The age of consent in the Bahamas is 16, but the suit says she was intoxicated at the time and could not give consent. It asks for $1 million in damages.

The Red Raiders were playing at the Battle 4 Atlantis on Paradise Island at the time.

The lawsuit alleges that a Texas Tech booster bought alcoholic drinks for Isaacs and a teammate. They were in a room with two girls, ages 17 and 16. The lawsuit says Isaacs and the 17 year old went to another room, where she was assaulted after she "attempted to fight him off."

According to the lawsuit, Texas Tech coach Grant McCasland was contacted by the plaintiffs on Dec. 14. McCasland reported the situation to athletic director Kirby Hocutt and other university officials, it says.

Texas Tech did not immediately respond to ESPN's request for comment.

Isaacs has played in all 13 games this season for Texas Tech, averaging 15.8 points and 3.4 assists.

Texas Tech (11-2) is scheduled to play at Texas on Saturday.

Sounds like Tech wants to finally step up to Baylor's level. Its a heartwarming tale of all that's right with college athletics. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This is amazing. McCasland hoping this shit wouldn't be brought up. Now that it has seen the light of day, I doubt Isaacs plays tomorrow.

If he doesn't play tomorrow, I would like the press to ask Hocutt and McCasland what changed between Dec 14th when they were first made aware of the situation and now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I remember Tech fans calling for immediate action on Beard when he was at Texas. I'm sure they will hold Isaacs to the same standard being they care so much about women. 

If it's rape/ sexual assault prosecute to the fullest.  Every time.

remind me how many games Arterio Morris played for Texas...

Oh yes, it was 38 games played in the 22-23 season.

\Carry on with the high horse...

Edited by slorch

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

Nice reach, bro.

Molesting a 17 year old woman. and Isaacs is what..22 at the most?

Thats....uh, an interesting defense. Let's see if the lawyers pops hires are as  fucking stupid as you are. 

Just now, Blotto said:

Thats....uh, an interesting defense. Let's see if the lawyers pops hires are as  fucking stupid as you are. 

Indeed.

Totally don't know her age.  Had read she was 17.

If rape/ sexual assault occurred, prosecute to the fullest.

12 hours ago, slorch said:

If rape/ sexual assault occurred, prosecute to the fullest.

There is no criminal charge to be prosecuted. I would assume no one cooperated with Bahamian authorities, if they were even aware. Your position is meaningless bluster.

This is about the Tech program and how they've handled the situation. While on a formal program trip to the Bahamas, a Tech booster/parent provided alcohol to underage persons, including players on the team and his own teen daughter. Enough alcohol that poor decisions were made. Regardless of any issues of assault or consent, that shit happened on Tech's watch and right under the nose of the coach and the administration folks in Nassau. There was no discipline given. There was no accountability other than chasing off the player not involved in the encounter. Tech has known and hidden this story for weeks hoping it would disappear. It doesn't matter who knew what at the time, it's now three weeks later. Everyone in the program and administration knows the story at this point. And every one of them was going to be just fine with the story never seeing the light of day, and I will posit, even if there was an actual bona fide rape.

This is one incident so to throw around the word Baylor is ridiculous hyperbole. But it is a true inflection point on how Tech, McCasland, and the basketball program will be viewed going forward by the general public. It takes a lifetime to build a reputation, but only a moment to bring it down. Tech basketball has become a strong program. This could derail everything that has been done over the past decade+ if handled poorly. And so far, that appears to be how its being handled.

BahamasDrinking Laws -- Alcohol is sold in liquor stores and various convenience stores; it's readily available at all hours, though not for sale on Sundays. The legal drinking age in The Bahamas is 18.

Or, are you suggesting the cops in The Bahamas are all Waco PD retirees? No criminal charges also fills in some gaps.

So, again, a lot of sensationalism is going on in describing the occurrence, but at which point should Tech have acted differently?  Title IX was involved immediately upon the filing of the suit. This has all of the makings of a shake down by daddy Steffe and when he didn't get what he wanted from Tech/  Isaacs, he went public, family and daughter be damned.

It has been said Daddy Steffe originally wanted $250k from either Tech or Isaacs and was rebuffed.  Now it's a civil suit for $1MM.  It's Craig James in the NIL era.  MSK5H.

Edited by slorch