Big 12 basketball 2023-2024 season - One Final Rodeo

Pancho

Oh yay, ten new players, and still none of them can make a fucking jumpshot. It almost feels like you have to go out of your way to specifically identify an entire roster that cannot do the one thing that needs to be done to win games, score fucking points when you're fucking open!

15 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Oh yay, ten new players, and still none of them can make a fucking jumpshot. It almost feels like you have to go out of your way to specifically identify an entire roster that cannot do the one thing that needs to be done to win games, score fucking points when you're fucking open!

I'm sure those jumpers will land on January 13th.  OSU is the only Big 12 school Otz has never beaten in Hilton.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Please see WVU basketball. Between losing Kriisa to suspension until mid December and Perez transferring late to ASU after the Huggins DUI they are going to be even more brutal to watch than usual.

Edited by ITHorn

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2023 at 4:12 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Drunk here but calling Moser and OU to the sweet 16.  He finally has his type of players.  No way Castiglione whiffed on the hire.  

Stumbled into watching them play USC after the football game while I cleaned the house.  I can't name you one OU player but that group looks like a bunch of grown assed men.  Tall, big, and athletic.  Who knows if they're any good but they look like NBA guys.

Tech 73-Mich 57

Loved how they kept making work over the 3 games of this tournament in Bahamas.  Villanova obviously is the class of the group.  Red Raiders are learning McCasland's system and how to leverage strengths of new players. Barely eeked out the win against northern Iowa yesterday.  Loved the whiney, bitchass Michigan fans getting salty.  Wreck Em!!!

Edited by slorch

On 11/25/2023 at 5:17 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Well, we get Aggy tomorrow night thanks to our inability to make free throws 

Not trying to hate but Iowa State looks like a bottom tier Big 12 team. 

They can't shoot and they have a real problem defensively from an athletic standpoint (i.e. keeping the ball in front). I don't see this team being particularly good in the Big 12. 

Only real takeaway so far is that West Virginia and Oklahoma State are the two worst teams in the Big 12. They both look pretty bad. 

I haven't been impressed with Iowa State at all. If they don't get hot in the 2nd half against VCU they go 0-3 this weekend. I think they're definitely in the bottom tier of teams. 

Not trying to hate but Iowa State looks like a bottom tier Big 12 team. 
They can't shoot and they have a real problem defensively from an athletic standpoint (i.e. keeping the ball in front). I don't see this team being particularly good in the Big 12. 

Nah, we’re trash.

This was the highest rated recruiting class in school history. An alleged one and done 5 star who looks completely lost and has contributed nothing, a high 4 store who is one of two bright spots, and a bunch of guys transferring up with great stats.

They look like the opposite of the first few Otz teams, and I can’t see them making the tournament right now.

It’s the law of the universe that ISU fans can’t be happy in two sports at the same time.

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Nah, we’re trash.

This was the highest rated recruiting class in school history. An alleged one and done 5 star who looks completely lost and has contributed nothing, a high 4 store who is one of two bright spots, and a bunch of guys transferring up with great stats.

They look like the opposite of the first few Otz teams, and I can’t see them making the tournament right now.

It’s the law of the universe that ISU fans can’t be happy in two sports at the same time.

I don't really understand the make up of the roster. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the roster has a shit load of wings/bigs but not many guards. 

Lipsey is obviously pretty good but Gilbert and Jones look like two dudes that transferred from lower level basketball. It looks like Otz realized this problem last night and at least tried to play Paveletzke who isn't ready either. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't really understand the make up of the roster. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the roster has a shit load of wings/bigs but not many guards. 

Lipsey is obviously pretty good but Gilbert and Jones look like two dudes that transferred from lower level basketball. It looks like Otz realized this problem last night and at least tried to play Paveletzke who isn't ready either. 

I mean, there's 4 guards - that should be enough in theory. 

Gilbert looked like a fucking dude until the VA Tech game, and he's a guy Otz has recruited before.  He's been pushing Paveletzke into the lineup more, but I'm just not seeing it.  Jones is tits on a boar.  Lipsey is all conference material.  In the portal, he leaned into guys who were studs at mid to low majors looking to bring them up, as opposed to the previous classes that were P5 guys who were unhappy with or struggling in their current situations.  We were fist fucking the bad teams, and I think these guys have talent, but I don't know if they'll put it together in time.  The real mystery is how completely useless Omaha Billiew has been.  This guy was a consensus 5 star, McD's All American, guaranteed one and done, and he has done next to nothing.  I get that college basketball is a big step up from playing in the Des Moines metro, but major yikes here.

Right now we need a 10-8 type Big 12 season to dance.  Otz has the benefit of the doubt, but this looks like a very disappointing season unless a light bulb comes on soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/17/2023 at 7:31 PM, 'stache said:

Baseball starts in February. FML.

If Boynton misses the tourney this year, does he get shitcanned? He's still a young dude, and yeah he coaches in a brutal conference, but other than cade's one and done season the results are pretty bleak. 

and Butler takes it 103-95.

Sure would like to see some fucking defense by Tech.  Gotdam that's hard to watch after the last 7-8 years. Defend the fucking ball.

Butler played their asses off.  Fun game to see, for sure.

New coach and 38 new players?  WTF else would it be?  Program has been through the ringer.

and no doubt, this isn't a 30 game winning team, however, there is most definitely improvement/ coaching going on.

Edited by slorch

today i went to Yvonne Adams’ (former all conference hooper at A&M, Aggie Athlete of the Year, and mother of KJ Adams) funeral today and coach self and his entire staff were there. as i was leaving, coach self happened to walk around the corner to where it was just us two so i extended my hand and said, “i really appreciate you guys (the KU coaching staff) coming here today, it means a lot.” 

long story short, he stopped walking, asked me my name, and chatted me up for more than a minute. we talked about everything from his time at oral roberts to how special kj’s performance was vs uconn considering he was about to jump on a red eye to head to his wonderful, special mother’s funeral and burial.

i can’t lie, it has been wildly strange to be such a huge ku fan these last couple of years with KJ there, but everything i’ve seen from KU, their program, and staff makes me feel like KU is a place where i would want to send my son. i’ll continue to root for ku as long as kj is there, after which it’s all the way back to fuck them. still, from my trip to lawrence to my experience today, i’ll always have a soft spot for KU and Coach Self with the way they’ve truly taken care of KJ and fostered his growth as a young man. i can’t help it anymore- im a fan. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

today i went to Yvonne Adams’ (former all conference hooper at A&M, Aggie Athlete of the Year, and mother of KJ Adams) funeral today and coach self and his entire staff were there. as i was leaving, coach self happened to walk around the corner to where it was just us two so i extended my hand and said, “i really appreciate you guys (the KU coaching staff) coming here today, it means a lot.” 

long story short, he stopped walking, asked me my name, and chatted me up for more than a minute. we talked about everything from his time at oral roberts to how special kj’s performance was vs uconn considering he was about to jump on a red eye to head to his wonderful, special mother’s funeral and burial.

i can’t lie, it has been wildly strange to be such a huge ku fan these last couple of years with KJ there, but everything i’ve seen from KU, their program, and staff makes me feel like KU is a place where i would want to send my son. i’ll continue to root for ku as long as kj is there, after which it’s all the way back to fuck them. still, from my trip to lawrence to my experience today, i’ll always have a soft spot for KU and Coach Self with the way they’ve truly taken care of KJ and fostered his growth as a young man. i can’t help it anymore- im a fan. 

Bill is a super nice dude. Have known him for quite a while. I’m a big KJ Adams fan the rest of the year. I’m sure the basketball court is a nice distraction.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Big 12 is 7-3 against the Big East. They are likely the #2 conference in basketball. We need to make it 8-3 tomorrow. Big East also got to miss one of our better teams in BYU.

That’s way too much conference rah-rah for 99% of this board.   

• Hook 'Em 1

Nae’Qwan Tomlin

President of Kstate is overriding Jerome Tang and Kstate AD on player's availability... says Tomlin still can't play.

Tomlin was just cleared of criminal charges in a bar fight...

Anyone seen more details??? 

Here's original report... Tang suspended the player immediately back in Oct 2023.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kansas-state-forward-naeqwan-tomlin-suspended-indefinitely-after-arrest-following-alleged-bar-fight-003242726.html

Edited by LTtxfan

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Nae’Qwan Tomlin

President of Kstate is overriding Jerome Tang and Kstate AD on player's availability... says Tomlin still can't play.

Tomlin was just cleared of criminal charges in a bar fight...

Anyone seen more details??? 

Here's original report... Tang suspended the player immediately back in Oct 2023.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kansas-state-forward-naeqwan-tomlin-suspended-indefinitely-after-arrest-following-alleged-bar-fight-003242726.html

New info...

I want to be free’: Nae’Qwan Tomlin ready for K-State basketball suspension to end

Story by Kellis Robinett, The Kansas City Star  • 28mIn ago

K-State basketball coach Jerome Tang initially made it sound like Tomlin would have an opportunity to return to the team after his legal issues were resolved. Tomlin appeared to be taking steps toward that when he was granted diversion in late November. Without any charges hanging over his head, he was then allowed to return to the K-State bench during games, albeit in street clothes.

It looked like he was nearing a return. But no progress has been made since then. He has served what amounts to a nine-game suspension, and there appears to be no end in sight.

Why? That part is difficult to explain.

Lately, Tang has seemed at a loss for words when asked about the situation, almost as if it is out of his control.

“Nothing has changed about his status,” Tang said earlier this week. “I told you, I’m going into this treating it like a season-ending injury, unless something different happens. I’m excited for him. He’s going to graduate in a few days. So that’s the next step in this process for him and for us. We are just going to keep loving and supporting him and see where things go from there.”

It would be understandable for Tang to begin playing Tomlin in the near future, so long as he continues to abide by the terms of his diversion.

Players on other teams have faced much lighter consequences under similar circumstances.

Tomlin is also a skilled senior forward who was expected to be one of the best players on the team this season.

A year ago, the 6-foot-10 Tomlin averaged 10.4 points and 5.9 rebounds as the Wildcats won 26 games and reached the Elite Eight. K-State has done well to start 7-2 this season without him.

If Tang is unable to explain why Tomlin isn’t playing, then what’s going on? The answer to that question is nebulous. But the prevailing sentiment on campus is that university president Richard Linton has reservations about allowing Tomlin back on the court. Until that changes, he is expected to remain on the sideline.

That theory has gained so much steam that a group of K-State students gathered outside of Linton’s house in a mini protest on Wednesday and voiced their support of Tomlin.

At one point during the rally, Tomlin even pulled up and cheered the crowd on from the passenger seat of a car.

If Linton is, indeed, getting involved in this saga, that could create a rift between Tang and the university president.

The Eagle reached out to Linton for comment. A representative from his office said she would look into the request but did not have an official response as of Wednesday afternoon.

K-State signed Tomlin out of junior college last season and he immediately helped the Wildcats as a starter in the frontcourt. He was so good during his first year at K-State that he tried out for several NBA teams during the spring before deciding to return to college for his senior year.

Much was expected of him this season, but, for now, it remains unclear if he will play at all.

©2023 The Kansas City Star. Visit kansascity.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/i-want-to-be-free-nae-qwan-tomlin-ready-for-k-state-basketball-suspension-to-end/ar-AA1l728H

Edited by LTtxfan

On 12/6/2023 at 4:00 PM, LTtxfan said:

Nae’Qwan Tomlin.  President of Kstate is overriding Jerome Tang and Kstate AD on player's availability... says Tomlin still can't play.

K-State President went against AD and Coach Tang's recommendations and dismissed Tomlin. 

Wednesday:

Tang, AD and fans thought Tomlin "would have an opportunity to return to the team after his legal issues were resolved. Tomlin appeared to be taking steps toward that when he was granted diversion in late November. Without any charges hanging over his head, he was then allowed to return to the K-State bench during games, albeit in street clothes."  

It looked like he was nearing a return. But no progress has been made since then. He has served what amounts to a nine-game suspension, and there appears to be no end in sight.

That theory had gained so much steam that a group of K-State students gathered outside of Linton’s house in a mini protest on Wednesday and voiced their support of Tomlin.  At one point during the rally, Tomlin even pulled up and cheered the crowd on from the passenger seat of a car.  

TODAY:

K-State dismisses forward Tomlin month after arrest; fans shower criticism on administration

By DAVE SKRETTA, AP Sports Writer  • 4h

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Kansas State forward Nae'Qwan Tomlin was dismissed from the team late Wednesday, more than a month after his arrest for disorderly conduct, triggering a wave of criticism aimed at the school administration from some fans.

Tomlin averaged 10.4 points in 36 games last season, and was a big part of the Wildcats' surprise run to the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament. He considered turning pro after the season but ultimately decided to return to the program.

He was arrested following a bar fight in October, and Kansas State coach Jerome Tang immediately suspended him “for not living up to the expectations of our players.” But as the season progressed, many Kansas State fans were antsy for Tomlin's return to the team, even chanting his name during an overtime win against Villanova this week.

As some fans began calling and emailing administrators, including Kansas State president Richard Linton, athletic director Gene Taylor finally issued a statement that said Tomlin “will no longer be able to continue with the K-State men's basketball team."

“This decision was not made lightly by me,” he said, "but it is the decision warranted by the circumstances that brought it to bear.”

Taylor said he had been “monitoring the situation” along with Tang but declined to share any specifics of the case, citing federal privacy laws. That includes whether there were factors beyond the initial bar fight that led to his decision.

Earlier in the day, Tomlin posted on Instagram the lyrics from a song that said: “I want to be free, free, free.” The 6-foot-10 forward is scheduled to graduate at the semester, and because he has yet to play for the Wildcats this season, Tomlin could transfer to another school and play for the remainder of the season.

“Allowing for space and time is critical,” Taylor said, "but in today’s digital age, that unfortunately can lead to the spread of rumors and misinformation — and in this case, much of the information on social media is incorrect.

“We stand united to do what is best for this young man’s personal development and growth,” Taylor continued, "and to do what is best to uphold the values of our teams and our university at large.”

Tomlin graduates in a few days, and can immediately transfer, and play in January 2024.

Edited by LTtxfan