Tell me about ou

Texas007

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Saban also didn't take over a school that had finished 11-2 the season prior, either.

Hmm, I wonder what happened after that 11-2 season that might have had some impact. Also they were 10-2 two seasons before he took over, then fell to 6-6 with Mike Shula, hired Saban and go 6-6 again. Gene Stallings took over a 10-2 Bama, lost 5 games his first year, 3 of his next 4 years were 11-2, 13-0, 12-1, including a natty.  

Edited by TXSooner518

10 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

You keep saying this, and I'm not saying it's a lock Venables is the dude, but OU was still a Top 25 team in efficiency measures last year, the record was obv ugly going an unsustainable (unless you're Scott Frost) 0-5 in one score games. The only games OU wasn't in were a game on the road against a team that played for the national title where OU's only QB was hurt in the first half, and in the Cotton Bowl against a good team out for blood with OU starting one of the worst P5 QBs in this century.

Nick Saban literally lost 7 games his first season at Bama, including a home loss to La-Monroe.  Bob Stoops won one more game his first year than Venables did. Fickell went 6-6 his first and only season at tOSU. Again, not saying he's those guys, but acting like it's impossible he's not terrible b/c OU lost a huge lead in Lubbock at night and a wire to wire bowl game against a team in direct CFP consideration this year is silly. Win those 2 and he's 8-5 and then what? Impossible to be good from 8-5 taking over after a massive program upheaval?

I do hope all you guys that are so sure are dumping thousands and thousands of dollars on that free TX -5.5 money. 

These are the types of comments that let you know you are already in the wilderness and you just don't know it. Rationalizing away close losses doesn't somehow make them go away. The truth is that teams with the historical talent of OU and Texas self inflict losses to the level you saw last season. That comes back to coaching. Sark shit the bed on numerous occasions in year one. Fortunately, he is self aware and humble enough to keep improving as a coach instead of just blaming players. Venables has shown the propensity to be a bit hard headed on some things so far and to make shitty hires. Those are the things that ensure those close losses keep coming.

• Hook 'Em 4

closetojumping's law - the longer a college football discussion carries forth online about any given CFB subject matter, the probability of a comparison being invoked regarding the subject and Nick Saban trends toward 1.

46 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

You keep saying this, and I'm not saying it's a lock Venables is the dude, but OU was still a Top 25 team in efficiency measures last year, the record was obv ugly going an unsustainable (unless you're Scott Frost) 0-5 in one score games. The only games OU wasn't in were a game on the road against a team that played for the national title where OU's only QB was hurt in the first half, and in the Cotton Bowl against a good team out for blood with OU starting one of the worst P5 QBs in this century.

Nick Saban literally lost 7 games his first season at Bama, including a home loss to La-Monroe.  Bob Stoops won one more game his first year than Venables did. Fickell went 6-6 his first and only season at tOSU. Again, not saying he's those guys, but acting like it's impossible he's not terrible b/c OU lost a huge lead in Lubbock at night and a wire to wire bowl game against a team in direct CFP consideration this year is silly. Win those 2 and he's 8-5 and then what? Impossible to be good from 8-5 taking over after a massive program upheaval?

I do hope all you guys that are so sure are dumping thousands and thousands of dollars on that free TX -5.5 money. 

Saban lost 6 in 2007, to be clear. 

There's greater context involved than just record comparisons, but you know that. Venables has stepped on his dick off the field with multiple blunders, not the least of which is how he handled tossing Cale Gundy out on his ass with some trumped up bullshit. His coaching staff is a laughable joke outside of Bates and Bedenbaugh. You don't have to agree or see that. It's just a factual statement from observers who have been to these movies before. Nice touch on putting a rape enabler in a position of power though. Very on-brand for Oklahoma football.

The recruiting class for 2023 was heavy at the top, thin in the middle, and heavy at the bottom. You've already had 2 guys leave the program from that group. Venables is currently doing the same exact thing with the 2024 class. It will close highly ranked, just as the 2023 class was. We'll see how they work out. They look awfully Herman/late Mack/Chuckles-esque to those of us who follow such things. 

I don't bet online. If I were in Vegas and could catch -5.5 this week, I would put $1k on it. You and I haven't bet in a good long while. If you're this confident in your team, let me know what you'd like to put on it this year and I'm game. Straight up like old times, usually when OU was favored.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Hmm, I wonder what happened after that 11-2 season that might have had some impact. Also they were 10-2 two seasons before he took over, then fell to 6-6 with Mike Shula, hired Saban and go 6-6 again. Gene Stallings took over a 10-2 Bama, lost 5 games his first year, 3 of his next 4 years were 11-2, 13-0, 12-1, including a natty.  

BV and his staff hit the portal and grabbed the QB they wanted.  Bill stayed behind to continue recruiting and coaching the OL.. Murray stayed as well..  Sure the defense was hot shit but the losses they had in their streak.. a lot of that was due to the offense going 3 and out within 40 seconds, multiple times.

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

closetojumping's law - the longer a college football discussion carries forth online about any given CFB subject matter, the probability of a comparison being invoked regarding the subject and Nick Saban trends toward 1.

Saban lost 6 in 2007, to be clear. 

There's greater context involved than just record comparisons, but you know that. Venables has stepped on his dick off the field with multiple blunders, not the least of which is how he handled tossing Cale Gundy out on his ass with some trumped up bullshit. His coaching staff is a laughable joke outside of Bates and Bedenbaugh. You don't have to agree or see that. It's just a factual statement from observers who have been to these movies before. Nice touch on putting a rape enabler in a position of power though. Very on-brand for Oklahoma football.

The recruiting class for 2023 was heavy at the top, thin in the middle, and heavy at the bottom. You've already had 2 guys leave the program from that group. Venables is currently doing the same exact thing with the 2024 class. It will close highly ranked, just as the 2023 class was. We'll see how they work out. They look awfully Herman/late Mack/Chuckles-esque to those of us who follow such things. 

I don't bet online. If I were in Vegas and could catch -5.5 this week, I would put $1k on it. You and I haven't bet in a good long while. If you're this confident in your team, let me know what you'd like to put on it this year and I'm game. Straight up like old times, usually when OU was favored.

Yep, I thought he was 7-7 for some reason, stuck in my mind. 7-6 with a home loss to La-Monroe. Stoops 7-5 first season. Tressel 7-5 first season. Mack 5 losses his second season. Y'all are feeling Sark bigly now, and he was 5-7 his first season. 

And prettttty sure if Cale stayed after using the N bomb in practice, I bet you would have a complaint about that. 

Again, I'm not even saying I'm so confident in OU or that Venables is for sure the dude. The jury is out is my point, when some people are saying it's a done deal based on a whole bunch of wishcasting. There is no national narrative of this, and in fact the current narrative is how dramatic the defensive improvement, both on-field and recruiting, have been.

That said, you did take TX straight up in some years where OU was favored, so to be sporting I will offer a $150 straight up wager. 

29 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

BV and his staff hit the portal and grabbed the QB they wanted.  Bill stayed behind to continue recruiting and coaching the OL.. Murray stayed as well..  Sure the defense was hot shit but the losses they had in their streak.. a lot of that was due to the offense going 3 and out within 40 seconds, multiple times.

I mean, sure guy, I bet they wanted Dillon Gabriel over Caleb Williams. For sure. Definitely no massive roster turnover happened. Definitely no complete change of the defensive scheme. 

OU's losses with Gabriel playing the game, they scored 34, 35, 20, 48, and 32, but please do tell me more about how the offense lost those games. 

54 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Saban also didn't take over a school that had finished 11-2 the season prior, either.

Yeah his guy didn’t take any of that Bama talent either.  And they definitely had some talent.  OU was stripped because of new transfer portal rules.  You guys got creamed for so long, of course you see a blip and assume someone else will also wander the desert.  

2 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Yep, I thought he was 7-7 for some reason, stuck in my mind. 7-6 with a home loss to La-Monroe. Stoops 7-5 first season. Tressel 7-5 first season. Mack 5 losses his second season. Y'all are feeling Sark bigly now, and he was 5-7 his first season. 

And prettttty sure if Cale stayed after using the N bomb in practice, I bet you would have a complaint about that. 

Again, I'm not even saying I'm so confident in OU or that Venables is for sure the dude. The jury is out is my point, when some people are saying it's a done deal based on a whole bunch of wishcasting. There is no national narrative of this, and in fact the current narrative is how dramatic the defensive improvement, both on-field and recruiting, have been.

That said, you did take TX straight up in some years where OU was favored, so to be sporting I will offer a $150 straight up wager. 

I mean, sure guy, I bet they wanted Dillon Gabriel over Caleb Williams. For sure. Definitely no massive roster turnover happened. Definitely no complete change of the defensive scheme. 

OU's losses with Gabriel playing the game, they scored 34, 35, 20, 48, and 32, but please do tell me more about how the offense lost those games. 

Confirmed on the bet at $150.

Regarding the national narrative, you're absolutely right, but how closely do any of those groups get to real analysis while trying to cover everything each week?

Doering and Hester had Chris Plank on yesterday. By the end of the conversation, I was laughing. It's amazing how completely unaware Plank is, as are the hosts. Plank went on College Sports Sunday with Luginbill and Sallee last year after the Nebraska drubbing. His review of the status of the program, Venables, the team's performance, it was all just dripping in honey and money. He couldn't be effusive enough in his praise. 

My favorite part of the interview, and I know I've written about it here many times but it's pertinent to what happened yesterday, was when the hosts asked him what the team's weaknesses were. Long pause for Plank, and then he recounts, dramatically, how he'd pondered that very question with the OU radio crew the night before after the Nebraska beatdown. The conclusion? They didn't think OU really had any. "Overconfidence, maybe?" Hahahahaha. Yeah, you think?

Fast forward to yesterday. The same shit. Hester confesses that he was wrong in the preseason by saying he's not a believer in OU as a resurgent team. No no no. Boy was he wrong on that! They then ask Plank "how good is this team?" and, of course, Plank preambled with "well, we'll know more about them after next weekend" but then straight into "of course, if they get by Texas, you're talking about a potential playoff run." Doering then chimes in, stating that having watched this team, he thinks they're not just potentially a playoff team in name only, but this team, THIS TEAM!, could make a run for it all! Hahahahaha.

They also asked him if OU was going to be "SEC ready" next year and Plank compared OU's outlook favorably to Texas because of the losses apparently only Texas can't fix when some of the DL heads to the NFL. 

OU can't run the ball. Murray is fucking with the psyche of the RB room, mostly out of spite as far as I can tell. You have a walk-on from a JUCO (not even after 2 years in JUCO got this guy on many radars) starting at TB over 2 5 star recruits who aren't even seeing many snaps. You have pedestrian WRs. Stogner gets all of the snaps at TE and has done jack shit. The offense is going to be forced to incorporate Gabriel, all 5'11", 205 of him, into the running game against good defenses. 

The defense might be improved, but that's mostly conjecture. Maybe they are. They haven't played anyone. Emory Jones couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. Preston Stone should be playing flag football at his community center. I'm not sure Tulsa or Arkansas State weren't mostly punting on first down due to lack of a pulse on offense. Well, I actually watched the ASU game so I know that isn't the case, but Butch Jones is the coaching equivalent to punting on first down. 

There is no merit in any claims that this OU team is worth a fuck or that Venables is anything but the buffoon he's shown himself to be so far. Take Texas down and then let's talk. As much as I whine about the shitty OU schedule this year, I still expect some level of incompetence. I'll be surprised by 9-4 at the end of the line. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

OU had an 8 season stretch from 1992-1999 in which they were largely mediocre. In that period, they had 3 winning seasons, 2 .500 seasons and 3 losing season. Then they won the national title in 2000. Only a fucktard thinks that stretch comes close to matching the futility of what Texas put on display between 2010-2022. 5 losing seasons and never losing less than 4 games is a blue blood hellscape over a 13 season stretch.

No shit we'd all like to see the wheels come totally flying off in Norman but there is not historic analog to justify that as anything but hope.

A 5 win season is a 5 win season, multiple of the "losing seasons" you quote from texas were 5 fucking win seasons. So what you're saying, really, is that in an 8 year stretch, OU had the exact same number of 5 win seasons as Texas had in a 13 year stretch. 5 seasons with only 5 fucking wins is a dumpster fire, especially if they come in a much more compact window.

And let's not talk about losing 8 games in a season, multiple times in a row. Texas has NEVER been that shitty in my entire lifetime. You're talking about going back almost 70 years to find a year Texas lost 8 in a season, and going back to the 19-fucking-30's to find a second, something OU did twice in the span of 2 years. No, Texas has never been the dumpster fire that OU was in the 90's. Not even fucking close.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Confirmed on the bet at $150.

Booked.  The rest is really wishcasting to the nth level, similar to all those seasons where you posted similar screeds about why Texas was going to get it done, and then paid me hundreds of dollars after eating shit to the tune of 55-17 or 63-21. Yes, man, Demarco is just spitefully fucking with the heads of the RB room for reasons. I 100% guarantee you that anyone who knows defense can look at the lines taken, positions players are in, tackling ability and see marked improvement, schedule or not. OU had four straight 4th down stuffs of Cincy, including multiple short yardage stops, and more on 3rd down. OU had literally 0% of getting off the field last year on 3rd or 4th and short. Stutsman is playing at an elite level.

I do think Texas is more likely than OU to win the game, but I will put another $150 on over 8.5 wins for the season since 9 wins will surprise you. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

And let's not talk about losing 8 games in a season, multiple times in a row. Texas has NEVER been that shitty in my entire lifetime. You're talking about going back almost 70 years to find a year Texas lost 8 in a season, and going back to the 19-fucking-30's to find a second, something OU did twice in the span of 2 years. No, Texas has never been the dumpster fire that OU was in the 90's. Not even fucking close.

Texas hasn't been as bad as 96-98 OU, but the full decade wasn't as bad as being portrayed, and OU 88-99 was better than TX 10-21 overall. 

5 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Texas hasn't been as bad as 96-98 OU, but the full decade wasn't as bad as being portrayed, and OU 88-99 was better than TX 10-21 overall. 

Yes, it was as bad as being portrayed. OU had a 12 year drought of conference titles between 1988 and 2000. They were exactly as limp dicked as is being advertised. It's merely recency bias to think otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, NoName said:

idk how anyone can say anything definitive after the dumpster fire that was 2022 and the schedule you guys have had so far this year.

"recruiting is better than it was under Riley"

• 17: #8
  • 18: 9
  • 19: 6
  • 20: 13
  • 21: 10
  • 22: 8
  • 23 YTD: currently 5...Florida has almost the same avg with 4 fewer recruits. USC has a better avg with 2 fewer recruits. ND has a better avg with 3 fewer recruits. A&M has a better avg with just 15 recruits. there is also almost no hope of beating tOSU at this point as they have 5 fewer recruits, more point and an average that's almost points higher than OU.

Assuming you guys finish at 5 is a huge stretch at this point. Long way to go to NSD1 and 2.

he's literally the other end and has been his whole career. he's a guy who drives the car but doesn't build it. Baylor was all Briles. UCF was Gus Malzahn. Ole Miss was Lane Kiffin.

this is the first time as a coach where he has ever had to build the car.

image.png.ddf1c50905490c823cc9b7798c623f16.png

yeah. you can't say you are having a good rebuild then say stuff like this. it simply doesn't work that way, not in the B12 and absolutely not in the SEC, as you pointed out.

first time GIF

ask me how i know...

Reveal hidden contents

Warehiem:

warehime_derek_2017_web.jpg&width=300&ty

Wickline:

wickline_joe_2014_30.jpg&width=300&type=

again: no clue how the rebuild is actually going.

Year 1 was was the worst OU season since John Blake was on campus. You guys have the #80 SOS this year per FPI, whats left on the schedule is in the 40s (Texas is at 26 ROS for comparison) so who knows what exactly you can tell after this year.

i will say this: if Venables doesn't win 10 games this year you should tarmac him in Provo after the BYU game.

You skipped OU's '23 recruiting cycle.  The one you labeled '23 is actually '24.  OU's completed '23 class was ranked composite 5th nationally (higher than any Riley class) and landed two 5 star defenders along with a 5 star QB.  OU's '24 class (the current one) has a 5 star DT commit (the first for OU since Venables was OU DC 15 years ago.)  They also have a commit from a 5 star RB - a position Riley notoriously struggled to close.  BV's staff is recruiting better.  Obviously the sample size is smaller but it is what it is.

Nobody is arguing that year 1 at OU was anything but bad for Venables but you've got to put it in context.  Riley completely gutted the QB room on his way out, Grinch left Venables maybe one 300 lb interior defensive linemen, and Grinch's "Speed D" scheme was so simplistic that the learning curve for the personnel who stayed was higher than it should have been.  I've read on Dirtburglars (from the board owner) that OU LBs had not read a play sheet or keys within a play since HS.  Riley also decimated the S&C program by putting Bennie Wylie in charge of it for four years.  OU got steadily worse on the LOS throughout Riley's tenure.  

I consider Lebby a question mark.  He's always had the training wheels of an offensive minded HC who could curb his bad instincts as a play-caller.  He doesn't have that anymore and it shows.  He'll either get better or he'll move on.  But the talent is being restocked, either way.  On the whole, the offense has looked better this year than last year.  Gabriel has been better.  The WR room is much better. We'll see if the run game clicks at some point. It eventually did a year ago.

As bad as things were a year ago, 5 of OU's 7 losses were one score games.  The lack of roster depth crushed them late in games.  The '21 OU team won something like 6 one score games. The margin was already thinning for Riley before he bounced.  Caleb Williams made a difference.  Venables didn't need to see a lot of improvement this year to get back on the other side of the win/loss column more often.  From what I've seen so far, the current team has made big strides.  If you told me that OU loses to Texas, Kansas, and maybe TCU, I wouldn't be shocked.  But I think they at least split those last two, and probably win both.  We'll see.     

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Huh? Saban didn’t lose seven his first year. They won seven. 

I like Brent Venables. Not as much as I liked John Blake. Maybe like how I liked Gary Gibbs. 

Ou went 77-58 from 1988 to 1999, a winning percentage of 57.03%. Texas discussed went 83-65 from 2010 to 2022, a winning percentage of... 56.08%

Yes, OU was very recently just as dog shit as the worst stretch in UT history. Sorry if you dumbfucks can't remember that far back. I was in highschool when OU was considered absolute putrid shit. We're not talking some 70-years ago or anything, we're talking about within our lifetimes.

You can throw out the records in this rivalry game, so I have no fucking clue which way the game will go. Having watched OU play Cincy, I am not convinced they are anywhere close to a playoff team. If you take out the rivalry aspect of this game, Texas should be favored by double digits.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Booked.  The rest is really wishcasting to the nth level, similar to all those seasons where you posted similar screeds about why Texas was going to get it done, and then paid me hundreds of dollars after eating shit to the tune of 55-17 or 63-21. Yes, man, Demarco is just spitefully fucking with the heads of the RB room for reasons. I 100% guarantee you that anyone who knows defense can look at the lines taken, positions players are in, tackling ability and see marked improvement, schedule or not. OU had four straight 4th down stuffs of Cincy, including multiple short yardage stops, and more on 3rd down. OU had literally 0% of getting off the field last year on 3rd or 4th and short. Stutsman is playing at an elite level.

I do think Texas is more likely than OU to win the game, but I will put another $150 on over 8.5 wins for the season since 9 wins will surprise you. 

This would be more credible if I wasn’t a known cynic of many of the prior regimes. I bet in some of those years out of gamesmanship as much as anything, and I assume you know that. Multiple times the preface was “I know this is lighting money on fire, but fuck it, it’s fun.”

I’m excited to see how it all shakes out. I wasn’t “wishcasting” Murray being a terrible coach and Plank being a blind flaming honk. But hey man, if you can’t see that, please don’t start seeing that any time soon. 

As to 8.5, that wasn’t how I was thinking about it. I can see 9-3 and then a bedshitting in a bowl to go 9-4. So if you want to bet that the record will be better than 9-4, I’m in. The Big 12 is garbage, so 4 losses in conference seems kind of absurd. I should have said anything better than 9-4 when rereading the post, but I’m not much for proofreading. 

13 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Yes, it was as bad as being portrayed. OU had a 12 year drought of conference titles between 1988 and 2000. They were exactly as limp dicked as is being advertised. It's merely recency bias to think otherwise.

OU 88-99 was 77-58-3 (57% win). TX 00-21 was 81-67 (55% win). Also TX had 5 losing seasons sprinkled through the whole run. OU had 3 losing seasons, all in a row. 1994-1998 for OU was agreed a worse sustained run than either have had.  

Also OU finished in the top 15 three times from 1988 to 1993. Texas finished ranked exactly once (19th) from 2010 through 2017. 

Edited by TXSooner518

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

As to 8.5, that wasn’t how I was thinking about it. I can see 9-3 and then a bedshitting in a bowl to go 9-4. So if you want to bet that the record will be better than 9-4, I’m in. The Big 12 is garbage, so 4 losses in conference seems kind of absurd. I should have said anything better than 9-4 when rereading the post, but I’m not much for proofreading. 

OK $150 on over 9 then?

5 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

OU 88-99 was 77-58-3 (57% win). TX 00-21 was 81-67 (55% win). Also TX had 5 losing seasons sprinkled through the whole run. OU had 3 losing seasons, all in a row. 1994-1998 for OU was agreed a worse sustained run than either have had.  

You think a 2% winning percentage difference, "isn't as bad" and "much better" than team which hasn't suffered such losses in an entire generation? No, that's literally a margin of error difference. It's a fucking push. You get a 55 out of a 100 on a test, you don't go around arguing that you deserved 2 percent better, because you still fucking got an F. The difference is negligible. OU in the 90's is statistically just as bad as Texas was in the last several years. They were both grade-F football teams. Only difference? Texas is clearly on the upswing, and OU just walked away from a 49-0 bitch slapping.

OU sucked complete dick before, and they will again. History and statistics say you can fucking book it.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
  • Hook 'Em 1

Lastly, just giant LOL at how everyone knows Brent is dead with a 10-7 start to his career but Sark starting 13-12 in his first two seasons at Texas after going 46-35 as a head coach is clearly a playoff-ready coach. 

Sark has 9 seasons as a coach with zero top 20 finishes. Texas has one top 18 finish since 2009. Please find a 13 year stretch where OU had one finish in the top 18. 

Edited by TXSooner518

1 minute ago, TXSooner518 said:

Lastly, just giant LOL at how everyone knows Brent is dead with a 10-7 start to his career but Sark starting 13-12 in his first two seasons at Texas after going 46-35 as a head coach is clearly a playoff-ready coach. 

Starting point is a thing. Trajectory is a thing. How rotten to the core the locker room in Austin was is a thing. 

It will be easy enough to compare the results of the two over time. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, TXSooner518 said:

Brent took over a team that was in the college football playoffs before, and were a dynasty in the conference, then promptly produced their first losing season in a decade and half. Sark took over what you are claiming was the worst stretch in UT history and has us with our highest ranking in 15 years. And prior to that, Sark took over teams like the 0-12 Huskies. Your sooner education is showing because the situations aren't equivalent at all.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Ou went 77-58 from 1988 to 1999, a winning percentage of 57.03%. Texas discussed went 83-65 from 2010 to 2022, a winning percentage of... 56.08%

Yes, OU was very recently just as dog shit as the worst stretch in UT history. Sorry if you dumbfucks can't remember that far back. I was in highschool when OU was considered absolute putrid shit. We're not talking some 70-years ago or anything, we're talking about within our lifetimes.

Lol.  Wish I was as smart as you, bro.  Only tOSU had had less down time that OU in modern cfb.  That’s a fact.  

1 minute ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Brent took over a team that was in the college football playoffs before, and were a dynasty in the conference, then promptly produced their first losing season in a decade and half. Sark took over what you are claiming was the worst stretch in UT history and has us with our highest ranking in 15 years. And prior to that, Sark took over teams like the 0-12 Huskies. Your sooner education is showing because the situations aren't equivalent at all.

How far does your head need to be in the sand to produce this statement?

3 minutes ago, Constant said:

I’m going to need a bigger bulletin board. 

I love it when nerds with multiple thousands of posts act like they're actually playing football like they matter. I'm sure your mom will be impressed with how angry you get after you print out your message board posts to pin to your closet door.

1 minute ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I love it when nerds with multiple thousands of posts act like they're actually playing football like they matter. I'm sure your mom will be impressed with how angry you get after you print out your message board posts to pin to your closet door.

My mom is dead. 

1 minute ago, Constant said:

My mom is dead. 

So stop fucking her already.

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  OU has 7 AP national titles.  tOSU has 6.  Who pays for your crack?  We have a few brain injury units.  Lmk and we can admit you.  

Wow, they won 7 AP titles from 2010 to 2022??

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed

5 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

LOL yes OU was in the playoffs two seasons before Brent came. The season before, they didn't win the conference, won a lot of one-score games, and then lost the next season's Heisman winner at QB and lost a lot of one-score games. Funny how Washington immediately got better when Sark left, how both of Sark's USC seasons were worse than the one that got Lane Kiffin fired, and how a Texas team that was 32-18 in the 4 seasons before Sark goes 13-12 in his first 2. Turnaround King!

• Like 1

Just now, TXSooner518 said:

LOL yes OU was in the playoffs two seasons before Brent came. The season before, they didn't win the conference, won a lot of one-score games, and then lost the next season's Heisman winner at QB and lost a lot of one-score games. Funny how Washington immediately got better when Sark left, how both of Sark's USC seasons were worse than the one that got Lane Kiffin fired, and how a Texas team that was 32-18 in the 4 seasons before Sark goes 13-12 in his first 2. Turnaround King!

And yet, only a few numbers really stick out:

49-0

and

5-7

16 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

OU last year was #27 overall in FEI, #26 in OFEI, #46 in DFEI and got positive adjustments due to #31 SOS.

they lost to literally every single good team they played last year (0-6 vs top 40 FEI teams, 3-6 vs top 60 teams, 3-1 vs 60+ teams) - they were the only team in FEI's top 50 who had 0 v40 wins (for comparison Oklahoma State went 4-5 vs top 40, A&M went 2-6, Baylor went 2-3, TTU went 3-3)

2022 isn't 1999 (Stoops), or 2007 (Saban) and don't use that tOSU season where Fickell had a 1 year contract to serve as interim for only that year due to Tressell and the recruiting stuff as an example. 

we have been in the same spot where you are. when you have subpar coaches who are also subpar recruiters who are also fucking up management of their room? that's bad. (see Drew Mehringer, Charlie Williams, Derrick Wareheim, Herb Hand, Corby Meekins, Jay Valai, Andre Coleman, Jay Boulware, Shawn Watson)

when you have OL issues? that's bad (see Texas under Wickline and Wareheim and Herb Hand)

when you have QBs who are made of glass? that's bad (see David Ash)

when you are looking at your record in 1 score games and saying "regression says has to get better!"? that's bad (see Tom Herman)

but sure. maybe he's Nick Saban. Maybe he's Bob Stoops. Maybe he is Luke Fickell.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, camel at sea said:

You skipped OU's '23 recruiting cycle.  The one you labeled '23 is actually '24.  OU's completed '23 class was ranked composite 5th nationally (higher than any Riley class) and landed two 5 star defenders along with a 5 star QB.  OU's '24 class (the current one) has a 5 star DT commit (the first for OU since Venables was OU DC 15 years ago.)  They also have a commit from a 5 star RB - a position Riley notoriously struggled to close.  BV's staff is recruiting better.  Obviously the sample size is smaller but it is what it is.

Nobody is arguing that year 1 at OU was anything but bad for Venables but you've got to put it in context.  Riley completely gutted the QB room on his way out, Grinch left Venables maybe one 300 lb interior defensive linemen, and Grinch's "Speed D" scheme was so simplistic that the learning curve for the personnel who stayed was higher than it should have been.  I've read on Dirtburglars (from the board owner) that OU LBs had not read a play sheet or keys within a play since HS.  Riley also decimated the S&C program by putting Bennie Wylie in charge of it for four years.  OU got steadily worse on the LOS throughout Riley's tenure.  

I consider Lebby a question mark.  He's always had the training wheels of an offensive minded HC who could curb his bad instincts as a play-caller.  He doesn't have that anymore and it shows.  He'll either get better or he'll move on.  But the talent is being restocked, either way.  On the whole, the offense has looked better this year than last year.  Gabriel has been better.  The WR room is much better. We'll see if the run game clicks at some point. It eventually did a year ago.

As bad as things were a year ago, 5 of OU's 7 losses were one score games.  The lack of roster depth crushed them late in games.  The '21 OU team won something like 6 one score games. The margin was already thinning for Riley before he bounced.  Caleb Williams made a difference.  Venables didn't need to see a lot of improvement this year to get back on the other side of the win/loss column more often.  From what I've seen so far, the current team has made big strides.  If you told me that OU loses to Texas, Kansas, and maybe TCU, I wouldn't be shocked.  But I think they at least split those last two, and probably win both.  We'll see.     

i don't necessarily disagree with anything you say (huge dropoff at QB, The Bennie Wylie Experience, uneven recruiting between O and D, The Alex Grinch Experience, talent being restocked, Caleb Williams)

the current team SHOULD make big strides year over year.

maybe Venables is going to turn it around, i just don't believe at all that hes the guy at all. that's me and that's ok.

• Hook 'Em 1