Tell me about ou

Texas007

The twitter responses have been...well... interesting:  They range from , "Art is family. He can't celebrate?"  to " There's not that much proof that Briles knew what happened at Baylor."

I get a kick out of the rivalrous hatred for OU on this board; but damn, I don't think y'all have ever gotten  close, even with hyperbole; to the sucktitude and depravity of these people's character.  I said it when the rumors flew that Tech might be considering hiring Briles that i would never support the program after that, if was hired- in any capacity.  The dude certainly has a right to go earn a living or whatever; but he should have ZERO access around influencing the development/ careers of young men and women.  Fuck that all to hell.  He has no fucking business on that field or around a college  program.  

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

It can't be great for chemistry on the coaching staff to have Venables and Castiglione make those public comments about Lebby's father-in-law.

There were supposedly boundaries already in place to keep this from happening. It almost seems like Lebby is trying to get fired or something. Didn’t love the hire originally and its only being reinforced with on and off the field stuff. 

I think just kicking him to the curb and letting Littrell take over would be in best interest moving forward. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The twitter responses have been...well... interesting:  They range from , "Art is family. He can't celebrate?"  to " There's not that much proof that Briles knew what happened at Baylor."

I get a kick out of the rivalrous hatred for OU on this board; but damn, I don't think y'all have ever gotten  close, even with hyperbole; to the sucktitude and depravity of these people's character.  I said it when the rumors flew that Tech might be considering hiring Briles that i would never support the program after that, if was hired- in any capacity.  The dude certainly has a right to go earn a living or whatever; but he should have ZERO access around influencing the development/ careers of young men and women.  Fuck that all to hell.  He has no fucking business on that field or around a college  program.  

You’re seeing what you want to see. The HUGE majority of OU Twitter is furious about this, with many calling for Lebby to be canned, just like Constant said, esp given that Joe C indicated this was specifically addressed at hire and then the profile pic apparent double down.

You’re seeing what you want to see. The HUGE majority of OU Twitter is furious about this, with many calling for Lebby to be canned, just like Constant said, esp given that Joe C indicated this was specifically addressed at hire and then the profile pic apparent double down.

9 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

This is pretty true....majority of Oklahoma fans are pissed/embarrassed about it. I feel the people on Twitter "defending" it are Baylor type trolls. The AD and the HC aren't happy about it either. Lebby quadrupling down on it making it his PFP is wild and a big fuck you to his employer. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 1

You’re seeing what you want to see. The HUGE majority of OU Twitter is furious about this, with many calling for Lebby to be canned, just like Constant said, esp given that Joe C indicated this was specifically addressed at hire and then the profile pic apparent double down.

You’re seeing what you want to see. The HUGE majority of OU Twitter is furious about this, with many calling for Lebby to be canned, just like Constant said, esp given that Joe C indicated this was specifically addressed at hire and then the profile pic apparent double down.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, TXSooner518 said:

Fair enough.  It's more likely old Baylor fucks chiming in to defend everyone's honor, as if it ever existed.

2 hours ago, Constant said:

There were supposedly boundaries already in place to keep this from happening. It almost seems like Lebby is trying to get fired or something. Didn’t love the hire originally and its only being reinforced with on and off the field stuff. 

I think just kicking him to the curb and letting Littrell take over would be in best interest moving forward. 

I did not know Seth is now at blOU

Screenshot_20230911-104245_kindlephoto-1402842.thumb.png.871bdecd9b6b0902a7839cf978ccecac.png

Art is a piece of shit loser but he's allowed to attend games and wear team gear of his choosing. He doesn't have a sideline pass. He's there before and after the game speaking to relatives. OU hired Lebby knowing full well about his history. At some point they had to accept it if they offered him the gig. Honestly this is a bullshit story.....

BUT if this is going to cause chaos in the OU program then I'm totally in favor of it. I am outraged! Burn down Norman!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I've never understood why Art Briles is so toxic but meanwhile, Kendall Briles and Lebby aren't.

While they may or may not have been complicit, Art Briles was the warden, so to speak.  Just like Paterno, nothing happened inside that program without Briles' nod.  He owns the travesties that happened under his watch.

I wouldn't want any of them in my team's program, regardless of the on-field results.

Edited by slorch

6 hours ago, Constant said:

Venables can just wait until October 8 and scapegoat him. That buys him another season in CFB these days. Year 1 is "we're rebuilding", Year 2 is firing a coordinator, and Year 3 is blaming the players or getting fired, depending upon the school, whenever a HC is a clear failure.

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I've never understood why Art Briles is so toxic but meanwhile, Kendall Briles and Lebby aren't.

I think a lot of people have lambasted programs for hiring either guy. The problem is, there are enough people and programs out there that care less about integrity and student welfare than they do about winning. Who has hired either guy?

For Briles: Lane Kiffin at FAU in 2017 - we know that guy doesn't give a fuck about anyone but himself; UH with a desperate Applewhite; FSU with a desperate Taggert and a history of covering up rape and other shit; Arkansas in the SEC backwater; and TCU, under a slimy Sonny Dykes and a history of cheating as a program.

For Lebby: UCF under Heupel, someone accustomed to the old OU way of doing things (no offense, but come on); Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss and we know his bullshit; and then Venables at OU, a man cloaked in the fabric of God and Jesus while he's helped cheat the program's ass off at OU and then Clemson. Let's not act like OU gives a shit about protecting women from athletes. All of this shit from Venables and Castiglione is theater simply because JC knows how to read a room.

3 hours ago, slorch said:

While they may or may not have been complicit, Art Briles was the warden, so to speak.  Just like Paterno, nothing happened inside that program without Briles' nod.  He owns the travesties that happened under his watch.

I wouldn't want any of them in my team's program, regardless of the on-field results.

The notion that Art Briles didn't know things is so laughably absurd that it simply deserves to be immediately dismissed out of hand when someone attempts to present it. The guy was getting text updates on the reg and the sheer volume of players and females involved means that the rape factory was institutionally run. The stuff presented in that report was so heinous that they chose to destroy it/bury it rather than ever have it find the light of day.

Further, whenever the guy even gets vaguely close to sniffing a gig somewhere, someone shows up with some sort of evidence file to dissuade the powers that be from moving forward. Whatever is being presented must be quite explosive, given that every school, outside of some Texas HS backwater for a year, has immediately turned around and called off the hire. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

You’re seeing what you want to see. The HUGE majority of OU Twitter is furious about this…

I remember seeing the blowu faithful protect Joe Mixon for over a year after he broke a girl’s face. Along with many other wife beaters under Stoops. Maybe check your moral high ground a tad.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Venables can just wait until October 8 and scapegoat him. That buys him another season in CFB these days. Year 1 is "we're rebuilding", Year 2 is firing a coordinator, and Year 3 is blaming the players or getting fired, depending upon the school, whenever a HC is a clear failure.

I think a lot of people have lambasted programs for hiring either guy. The problem is, there are enough people and programs out there that care less about integrity and student welfare than they do about winning. Who has hired either guy?

For Briles: Lane Kiffin at FAU in 2017 - we know that guy doesn't give a fuck about anyone but himself; UH with a desperate Applewhite; FSU with a desperate Taggert and a history of covering up rape and other shit; Arkansas in the SEC backwater; and TCU, under a slimy Sonny Dykes and a history of cheating as a program.

For Lebby: UCF under Heupel, someone accustomed to the old OU way of doing things (no offense, but come on); Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss and we know his bullshit; and then Venables at OU, a man cloaked in the fabric of God and Jesus while he's helped cheat the program's ass off at OU and then Clemson. Let's not act like OU gives a shit about protecting women from athletes. All of this shit from Venables and Castiglione is theater simply because JC knows how to read a room.

The notion that Art Briles didn't know things is so laughably absurd that it simply deserves to be immediately dismissed out of hand when someone attempts to present it. The guy was getting text updates on the reg and the sheer volume of players and females involved means that the rape factory was institutionally run. The stuff presented in that report was so heinous that they chose to destroy it/bury it rather than ever have it find the light of day.

Further, whenever the guy even gets vaguely close to sniffing a gig somewhere, someone shows up with some sort of evidence file to dissuade the powers that be from moving forward. Whatever is being presented must be quite explosive, given that every school, outside of some Texas HS backwater for a year, has immediately turned around and called off the hire. 

The folks I know who have actually seen the reports and full phone/text records through the discovery process (there were civil lawsuits) have told me that what happened absolutely was heinous and explosive. Scores of forcible rapes and active cover-ups by Art, Kendall and Lebby. Every one of them. It was unimaginably bad. 

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

https://x.com/byelilederman/status/1701272768288059856?s=46&t=Awhcks1Y1fjzLPSExpI6lg

Boring, looks like Lebby got his talking to and is backing down. Was hoping he would triple down on, “that man is the grandfather of my kids!!”  with tears in his eyes. 

Here's tweet in link above...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I remember seeing the blowu faithful protect Joe Mixon for over a year after he broke a girl’s face. 

This outrage and these multiple public statements from OU disavowing Briles on the sidelines in a crimson-colored knit polo... after they had NO fucking problem putting a starting running back on the field in an OU jersey after watching the video of him breaking a girl's face.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

From what I can tell, the majority of comments online are "He's family" or "He wasn't convicted of anything, right?" A whole lot of "no big deal" thoughts. So the fanbase is still shitty. The fact that Lebby has kinda sucked is the only reason there is any pushback online. If he was crushing it offensively, 99% would be "no big deal."

All these years later, college football still has an Art Briles problem

Spoiler

Let’s lead with what apparently bears repeating: Art Briles was fired as the football coach at Baylor in 2016 after an independent investigation of multiple sexual assaults involving Baylor student-athletes concluded Briles and his staff did not report their knowledge of those incidents to authorities.

According to the investigation, the leadership of the football team “hindered enforcement of rules and policies, and created a cultural perception that football was above the rules.”

On Saturday evening, Oklahoma offensive coordinator (and former Baylor assistant) Jeff Lebby stood defiant in front of the Sooners’ press corps when pressed on the attendance of his father-in-law, Briles, who was spotted on the Sooners’ sideline after their win over SMU wearing Oklahoma apparel.

“That’s my father-in-law,” Lebby told reporters. “So he’s the grandfather to my two kids. So he was down with our entire family after the game, well after the game, but he was down there with the entire family.”

When pressed by a reporter who stated, “Jeff, I think there’s going to be people who have trouble squaring that, because …” Lebby interjected: “Again, he’s with his entire family. That’s my father-in-law. That’s the grandfather to my two kids.”

By Monday afternoon, Lebby’s stance and tone had predictably changed, after both Oklahoma Coach Brent Venables and Athletic Director Joe Castiglione expressed a mix of concern and confusion at Briles’s presence Saturday night. Lebby issued an apology, specifically (and only) for “something that created a distraction.”

Believe what Lebby is saying: that it won’t happen again, namely because Lebby, considered a head coaching candidate someday soon, cannot professionally afford a career-afflicting moment such as this again, and because his bosses at Oklahoma are angry with him.

Believe what Lebby is telling you, too: Between Saturday night and Monday afternoon, Lebby changed the picture on his Instagram profile to that of himself, his two children and Briles posing on the field at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. Briles is wearing an Oklahoma shirt in the photo.

Keep listening: A reasonable interpretation of Lebby’s disposition and posture during his Saturday night comments might be one of frustration. Or, considering Lebby’s history selling “CAB” (Coach Art Briles) T-shirts to support Briles after his firing, more likely one of open defiance.

Those are entirely reasonable ways to receive the moment, although they may be a more generous interpretation extended to a man undeserving of it. What appears to be the real truth: Lebby fundamentally does not understand what the problem was, because he does not believe Briles was worthy of dismissal at Baylor or the career ignominy that has followed him.

Whether that belief is genuine or a willful denial of fact is almost beside the point, although no one should be naive enough to attribute to this the proverb of stupidity mistaken as malice, because that’s the true horror facing this sport: Either is just as harmful, and both are in heavy supply.

How else can we rationalize the persistence of Art Briles? Saturday marked the latest in an incomprehensible parade of public associations, appearances and even attempts at employment by one of the most disgraced names in the history of college football.

Not even a year after his firing, Briles sought a new coaching job in the Canadian Football League in 2017 before public backlash caused the Hamilton Tiger-Cats to bail on the idea. Briles settled on a job coaching pro football in Italy in 2018. Most jarring is that Briles successfully returned home to his roots, securing a high school head coaching job in Mount Vernon, Tex., for two seasons in 2019 and 2020.

From 2019: Art Briles is coaching again and wants to leave it at that

But he wants back in college football, the site of his disgrace, and persists in trying. In 2019, Briles interviewed for the offensive coordinator job at Southern Mississippi under former head coach Jay Hopson. When university leadership swarmed to reject even the idea of Briles as a candidate, let alone his hiring, Hopson mirrored Briles’s son-in-law and leaped to his defense.

Undeterred, Briles actually cleared the interview process in 2022 at Grambling, where Coach Hue Jackson also defended the move publicly before pressure from the university, including Grambling legend Doug Williams, forced a Briles “resignation.” Jackson was among the first to embrace Briles after his firing, inviting him to attend practices when Jackson was coach of the Cleveland Browns.

Lebby is not alone here; Briles’s son, Kendall, also a Baylor assistant during the period of sexual assaults, has moved through a variety of high-profile assistant coaching jobs and is the offensive coordinator for TCU. And along the way, dad has stopped by practice.

So while a grossly unforced error for Oklahoma, Saturday night’s gaffe was by no means unique. More importantly, neither is what happened at Baylor. Take the unfolding story at Michigan State, where Coach Mel Tucker has been suspended without pay after he was accused of sexual harassment by sexual assault prevention activist Brenda Tracy. (Tucker said in a statement Monday that his relationship with Tracy was “entirely mutual.”)

If we’re to expect any good faith in the words that come from those in power, we should believe only what we hear the first time, not after the correction and not after the outcry. Lebby hasn’t changed his mind — he has changed his position in an act of professional self-preservation. So what happens if he’s the head coach somewhere in the near future, with one fewer person above him who can prevent that grandfather from showing back up?

It really doesn’t matter whether Lebby or anyone else caping for Briles is doing so in defiance of the truth or genuinely can’t believe it. Both are terrifying, and either way it’s publicly manufactured aggrievement that shifts victimhood from sexual assault survivors to men in power. Either way, you should listen when they tell you.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/09/12/art-briles-jeff-lebby-oklahoma/

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/11/2023 at 4:30 PM, Paul Wesley said:

This outrage and these multiple public statements from OU disavowing Briles on the sidelines in a crimson-colored knit polo... after they had NO fucking problem putting a starting running back on the field in an OU jersey after watching the video of him breaking a girl's face.   

That has always amazed me. Not to mention this was at the same time they tried to qualify Dorial Green-Beckham after he got the boot from Mizzou for domestic violence. Both things just kinda slid under the rug because conference champions?

Edited by ITHorn