Not the Sharpest Knife in the Drawer….

MirrOlure

+1 on Ken Onion. 
1 thing I found about using mine is your belt grit. I thought after I fixed up a knife I wouldn’t need to use the “coarser” belts. Found just a few passes with coarser and then finer gets mine razor sharp. Use the paper towel trick to test. 
YT is your friend. 

I tried the whetstone and I realized that it's not my gift.  So on the less expensive end of the spectrum, I picked up one of these last year, and it has been great.  It even sharpens serrated knives.  I just give them a few passes when they need it (ever few months or so), and hit them with the honing steel before use.

51OlJfJpoVS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by dcbc

19 hours ago, dcbc said:

I tried the whetstone and I realized that it's not my gift.  So on the less expensive end of the spectrum, I picked up one of these last year, and it has been great.  It even sharpens serrated knives.  I just give them a few passes when they need it (ever few months or so), and hit them with the honing steel before use.

I have the Wusthof version and it works great.  Coincidentally I took off the tip of my left ring finger (with my beloved Wusthof santoku) last week, which was awesome.

1 minute ago, threesheets said:

I have the Wusthof version and it works great.  Coincidentally I took off the tip of my left ring finger (with my beloved Wusthof santoku) last week, which was awesome.

Yeouch.  I scalloped my thumb with my Dexter-Russel slicer once.  Not my finest moment.

• Rage+1 1

22 hours ago, dcbc said:

I got one of these (white, not silver lol) as a gift at least a decade ago. I was underwhelmed. I’m not sure where it is now.

On 8/26/2023 at 9:38 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I take a controversial approach -- I go to a professional and let them do it.  $5 per knife.  (More for serrated.)

I have a friend who has an annual knife sharpening party. She hires a professional knife sharpener, and then invites everyone to bring their knives and get drunk. Hasn't ended badly...yet. 

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I got one of these (white, not silver lol) as a gift at least a decade ago. I was underwhelmed. I’m not sure where it is now.

I've got the white one too.  I'm glad I read the instructions though.  On this one, you run the knife blade forward and back (not just pull toward you like on some sharpeners).  About eight times and then another eight in the polishing slot and it had mine nice and sharp.  I don't doubt there are better sharpeners out there, but for $35 or whatever I paid, this does the trick.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, threesheets said:

8 hours ago, dcbc said:

Yeouch.  I scalloped my thumb with my Dexter-Russel slicer once.  Not my finest moment.

8 hours ago, threesheets said:

Yeah, I did that on a mandolin once @dcbc. Bled for like 3 days.

These plus my own mishaps is why I don’t try to chop and slice like I’m some kind of a professional. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

These plus my own mishaps is why I don’t try to chop and slice like I’m some kind of a professional.

There may have been alcohol in anticipation of our playing USC for the first time since 2006 involved in my mishap.

We got rid of the mandolin years ago.  That thing wanted to kill my entire family.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Ken Onion sharpener is amazing on kitchen knives. Pocket knives with their different blade shapes and angles, as well as how far the handle protrudes, will take some practice. But my kitchen knives are literally razor sharp. I even put an edge on my cleaver (in case I ever need to use it for something for the first time ever). 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/26/2023 at 5:44 PM, Sam Lin said:

There are a few other threads on this, but Ken Onion WorkSharp is my rec. Watch some YT and practice on a piece of shit knife a few times first, then nothing is as easy while still not being aggressive on the knife.

Preempting the question, the single reason I rec the Ken Onion is the blade guide allows Asian and conventional angles. If you have no Asian angle knives, you can save a few bucks and get the conventional WorkSharp. But even then I'd rec the Ken Onion for future flexibility, and I believe the guide also allows you to do other items like axes or lawnmower blades easier?

• Hook 'Em 1