Kenny Paxton/Dave P's Impeachment Game Day Thread

atomheartbevo

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

"Can he answer the question?"
"Is that an objection?"
"Yes."
"Overruled, but answer the question."

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Eh, that was legit. The directive was answer the question, directly. Rusty wanted to give him some room to talk about other stuff. 

Edited by Dahobbs

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

So, the argument appears to be that if you try and help someone but it turns out they don't need it then you really didn't try to help them. 

Seems like his point on cross. 

World Class filed for bankruptcy, and THAT'S what prevented the foreclosures, not Paxton's swarmy attempt to use the power of his office as undue influence.  Never mind that the only reason World Class filed for bankruptcy when it did is because Paxton's swarmy attempt was unsuccessful in persuading a judge to enjoin the foreclosure sales.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Seems like his point on cross. 

World Class filed for bankruptcy, and THAT'S what prevented the foreclosures, not Paxton's swarmy attempt to use the power of his office as undue influence.  Never mind that the only reason World Class filed for bankruptcy when it did is because Paxton's swarmy attempt was unsuccessful in persuading a judge to enjoin the foreclosure sales.

Yup. It gets cause and effect backwards. Bankruptcy was the fallback in case Paxton failed.  That's because bankruptcy has a shit ton of drawbacks, particularly for an operation like World Class. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'll say this on Day 3, while he appropriately seems clueless about evidentiary rulings, Dan Patrick is so much less annoying than thought he would be in presiding over this trial.  I know, it's a low fucking bar.

I would love to see Stephen A Smith ruling on some of these objections

You know those Nate Paul banners you used to see up all over downtown?  

I wanna make some that say, "Another World Class Paxton Coming" with the WCC logo on the bottom in the same black/white/gold & font stylings.  And put them in myriad abandoned buildings around downtown and the Capitol area.  

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Listening to George Seay throwing Ken Paxton under the bus is another thing I didn't expect to hear.  He's bringing up the $3000 pen story.  I'm cracking up thinking about Jack Klompus from Seinfeld.  

What's George's role in this?

Man, I used to know George pretty well and, from that, I adjudge(d) him to be a solid human being and a very bright guy and hard worker.  I guess it shouldn't, given many of his family connections, but I have been shocked at the evidence of his being co-opted by the Texas right wing.

I'd never expect him to be any kind of bleeding heart, but geezus h.  I guess it's good to know he's on the right side of this, at least.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Just now, South Austin said:

He is indeed a pretty damn sharp neofascist right-wing evangelical Christian.

Well, unlike a lot of these clowns, Bangert was a litigation partner at Baker Botts.  They tend not to suffer fools.

Many/most of these clowns have no legal career outside the lunatic fringe that is the Texas AG/SG office and crazy advocacy organizations.

• Like 1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Well, unlike a lot of these clowns, Bangert was a litigation partner at Baker Botts.  They tend not to suffer fools.

Many/most of these clowns have no legal career outside the lunatic fringe that is the Texas AG/SG office and crazy advocacy organizations.

I know.  I just couldn't resist giving these idealogues some shit.  He seems to be a way more competent attorney that Mateer.

• Hook 'Em 1

I gotta get a camera on this Eric guy. He's the real star of the show.

Al

Also,

Now, are these the questions I was called here to answer? Countertops and letterheads? Please tell me you have something more, Ralph Macchio. Ken Paxton is on trial for his job. Please tell me that his lawyer hasn't pinned his hopes to a letterhead.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

My best (worst) cross-examination was early in my career....when a witness had completely skewered my client's story, backed up with photographic proof.  After pondering what to do for what felt like an eternity, I fired off this piece of brilliance:

Q: "So . . . are you calling my client a liar?"

A: "Yes."

[Looooooooooooong pause]

Judge: "Mr. Brisket, you about done here?"

"Yes.  Yes I am."

So, the lesson here is that when you have nothing to offer on cross.....sometimes shutting the fuck up is your best line of questioning.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3