Kenny Paxton/Dave P's Impeachment Game Day Thread

atomheartbevo

2 minutes ago, That Guy said:

10 minute break and then Buzbee gets to cross examine mateer.

Good, that way Buzbee isn't rushed in the stall.  And has enough time to do a couple lines plus add a nice base of bronzer without having to frantically do all it at once and accidentally spray the blow.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Good, that way Buzbee isn't rushed in the stall.  And has enough time to do a couple lines plus add a nice base of bronzer without having to frantically do all it at once and accidentally spray the blow.  

Hate when that happens

I like how he keeps calling Mateer "Rule of Law Guy."

As a general rule, the cadence of cross-examination generally flows better than direct because the examining lawyer has more control and can ask leading questions. 

I've only caught some of Buzbee's cross during my lunch break, and I have no idea if he's scoring substantive points, but he's coming off as much more crisp and polished than Hardin.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I like how he keeps calling Mateer "Rule of Law Guy."

As a general rule, the cadence of cross-examination generally flows better than direct because the examining lawyer has more control and can ask leading questions. 

I've only caught some of Buzbee's cross during my lunch break, and I have no idea if he's scoring substantive points, but he's coming off as much more crisp and polished than Hardin.

No. Not so far, at least. Buzbee is very talented at making it sound like he caught the witness in a lie when they aren't. It's a master-class in gaslighting. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Went to the session this morning for a couple of hours. 

- Gallery is half empty, maybe more. Kind of weird no one seems to care given the headlines.
- The prosecution is... um, questionable. Not impressed at all. Just kind of rambling. 
- I didn't sit in on the cross-ex, but Buzbee seemed sharp in offering up objections. He also eats Altoids like it's going out of style.
- Patrick is completely lost. Buzbee objects, and if Hardin argued back, then it was overruled. If Hardin seemed to be fine with it, then it was sustained. 

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Damn, Buzbee is steamrolling this dude.

Again, I'm not sure what substantive points he's scoring, but he's clearly winning the theatrical competition so far.  He's imposing his personality on a very weak and timid witness, and using him for a bunch of talking points and sidebar comments that would be clearly objectionable in a court of law.

Maybe Hardin has a sense that Patrick won't be overruling those kinds of objections, so he's not making a fuss in the interest of showing the jury that he doesn't care much about Buzbee's questions or the testimony.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

um hearsay all over the place, Rusty you gonna do something 

Honestly, I think all the hearsay objections make the objecting party (Buzbee) look like they are trying to cover something up. It's smart for Rusty not to object unless he really thinks something improper is happening.

My take is Buzbee is doing a good job making this guy seem like he sucks and had an axe to grind (which he does and he did) but none of that appears consequential to the validity of the articles of impeachment. By that I mean, it's not changing my mind about whether Nate Paul was getting special treatment (he was).

Just now, A-Tex Devil said:

Putting this guy up first is like putting your 20 year old center back who came on in minute 108 of extra time up first in PKs then he misses.   It sets a bad tone and may not be recoverable.  

I question why people think Hardin was the right choice here.  

I'm with you on this. I'd want Dave Maxwell. He's 6'6"!

But seriously, this witness just seems rough and Hardin seems rough. The biggest thing I remember is them talking about finishing questions before answering and constantly toying with microphones. 

1 minute ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Putting this guy up first is like putting your 20 year old center back who came on in minute 108 of extra time up first in PKs then he misses.   It sets a bad tone and may not be recoverable.  

I question why people think Hardin was the right choice here.  

I really hope that side pieces and Home Depot countertops are batting a strong cleanup.

14 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

"The General!"

I swear I never heard anyone use that term before Paxton.  Is that a thing?

Not with a "The," but yeah - regularly heard people refer to General Abbott, General Paxton.  I always thought it was silly, but it does seem to be a convention that quite a few people follow.

• Hook 'Em 1

I loved that show and that car as a kid.  But I was today year's old when I learned that it was just Bo's car, and Luke was along for the ride.  I mean, Luke did drive the car plenty of times.  But I just assumed they bought and maintained it together until such time one of them could bed Daisy in the non-existent backseat.  

But yeah, nobody has ever called any AG "The General", just 'General So-and-So' and even then, it usually stops after the first or second moment of exchanges.  

However, I know a physician in the suburbs of Austin that insists on being called "The Doctor of Neighborhood", to each his own...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Damn, Buzbee is steamrolling this dude.

I'm still a good bit behind, but I don't agree at all. I think Buzbee is flailing around with theatrics while the witness is handling the questioning just fine. I mentioned gas-lighting earlier, and Buzbee is excellent at it. Don't let that fool you

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

https://formsofaddress.info/attorney_general/#General_Attorney_General

To me it seems addressing an attorney general as ‘General (Name)’ is an internal practice within the legal profession. It makes sense in the context of a courtroom to identify the role of an attorney general in a way to separate him from others addressed  ‘Mr.’.  But outside the courtroom when (as happens in DC pretty often) there are Army, Marine Corp, and Air Force Generals in the room – addressing an attorney general as ‘General (Name)’ make no sense.

Further among the range of offices with ‘general duties’ … solicitor general, surgeon general, inspector general …. None are ever addressed as ‘General (Name)’

Lastly, the plural of attorney general in the dictionary is not ‘attorney generals’ but is ‘attorneys general’ … emphasizing the office is an ‘attorney’, and ‘general’ is an adjective describing the attorney with a broad range of duties for the state.  Thus, there is no way they would be generals.

The More You Know GIFs | Tenor

2 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I'm still a good bit behind, but I don't agree at all. I think Buzbee is flailing around with theatrics while the witness is handling the questioning just fine. I mentioned gas-lighting earlier, and Buzbee is excellent at it. Don't let that fool you

If it's working to some on here, imagine how well it's working on the simpletons this state has elected to the senate. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

If it's working to some on here, imagine how well it's working on the simpletons this state has elected to the senate. 

If it's a matter of politics over the rule of law, it don't make a shit whose lawyering is more effective with the "jurors."  They made up their minds before these proceedings started, and neither Hardin nor Buzbee will change them. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

If it's a matter of politics over the rule of law, it don't make a shit whose lawyering is more effective with the "jurors."  They made up their minds before these proceedings started, and neither Hardin nor Buzbee will change them. 

Yeah, but now they'll feel really good and jusified about their decisions when they dismiss Paxton. 

This is the only correct and necessary answer.
We’d like to pretend that impeachment is a process for determining truth and administering justice. In reality, reading skidmarks in a toilet bowl is closer to that goal than impeachment is.
Impeachment is a political process, from start to finish. The ONLY way that any current senate voted might be swayed is if public opinion (of their voters) dramatically changed during the course of the trial. Which is most unlikely.
They could have taken the vote the day before the trial started, and it would be the exact same count as the vote they’ll take at the end.
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I loved that show and that car as a kid.  But I was today year's old when I learned that it was just Bo's car, and Luke was along for the ride.  I mean, Luke did drive the car plenty of times.  But I just assumed they bought and maintained it together until such time one of them could bed Daisy in the non-existent backseat.  

But yeah, nobody has ever called any AG "The General", just 'General So-and-So' and even then, it usually stops after the first or second moment of exchanges.  

However, I know a physician in the suburbs of Austin that insists on being called "The Doctor of Neighborhood", to each his own...

I still smile whenever I hear ‘Doctor of Neighborhood’.  Halloween cometh soon and may the monkeys bite freely and without caution. 

There are some very powerful interests that want Paxton gone. Some have shown their hand and some have not. If they don’t convict the TRP is going to have a civil war on its hands. I don’t think the House would have brought the charges if they didn’t have the votes locked up

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

Buzbee has lost his momentum.  This is turning into a clusterfuck.

Yeah, he had momentum and they took a break. Now it's just grasping at straws.

He is good at sounding like anything the guy on the stand says is exactly what he wanted him to say. But the old adage of "a lawyer never asks a witness a question he doesn't already know the answer to" is not holding here.

"But then you went and got lunch at a steakhouse, didn't you?"
"Um, no. I'm a vegetarian."
"And that's exactly why it would make zero sense for you to go there."