2023 Houston Texans thread

Macklemore

Some thoughts

- Stroud had arguably the best game ever statistically by a rookie QB, despite missing several throws in the first couple of drives

- Noah Brown was a difference maker

- This team is comically beat up. You could only laugh at the sequence where the DB got injured and then his replacement got injured the following play

- There were some brutal calls on Houston. The roughing play on Baker, obviously, but also a pretty weak hold and weak PI in big moments 

This year is this year, but in the following three years, Houston needs to try to maximize Stroud's rookie contract. Buy Chase Young this offseason. Buy another WR. Etc. I won't say go all-in because I wouldn't be trading away premium picks, but there will be a rookie QB salary window if some thinks go correctly 

15 minutes ago, Fud said:

The pick will likely be somewhere around 20. Just draft the best player available within reason. Landing a great player is more important than landing a player at a specific position. 

I don't think Bowers or Coleman will be there. 

those are prime OL picks in the 20’s, or maybe someone slips 

There are going to be a lot of good WRs available at 20. I'm not sure about DL, usually those guys are gone in the Top 5-10. I would love Sweat, but 20 is probably too high for him because he's a run stuffer. Though maybe he would have more pass rush stats if he wasn't held on every play without fear of penalty.

• Hook 'Em 1

Did anyone else see the interview on Monday Night Countdown? CJ is just a great kid. He answers questions so thoughtfully. He may be using the cliches, but he uses them so well you don’t really mind. After that fucking perv got shipped out, you couldn’t ask for a better reset than CJ.

• Hook 'Em 6

39 minutes ago, Hate said:

Did anyone else see the interview on Monday Night Countdown? CJ is just a great kid. He answers questions so thoughtfully. He may be using the cliches, but he uses them so well you don’t really mind. After that fucking perv got shipped out, you couldn’t ask for a better reset than CJ.

thank god lovie smith backed us into the #2 pick 

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Keon Coleman with Browns pick would be a big win. 

He's a top fifteen pick lock at this point, and maybe top ten. At this point, you're hoping for one of the others Nabers or Odunze to fall if it has to be a WR. Probably better off just taking whoever the best prospect is at a premium (non-QB) position that falls a bit, and scooping him up; OT, edge, DT, WR, CB. It's more important to land a ten year starter at any of the premium positions with that pick than reaching for a specific position. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This is a pretty good WR draft. The name I keep seeing for the Texans is Emeka Egbuka, WR2 from Ohio State. However, I’m not sure WR  is the way to go with our 1st rounder. They have lots of young receivers with potential. I’d rather sign/trade for a vet WR and draft for other needs, specifically DT, OL, Edge, CB

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

This is a pretty good WR draft. The name I keep seeing for the Texans is Emeka Egbuka, WR2 from Ohio State. However, I’m not sure WR  is the way to go with our 1st rounder. They have lots of young receivers with potential. I’d rather sign/trade for a vet WR and draft for other needs, specifically DT, OL, Edge, CB

There have been a lot of great WRs drafted in the second half of the first round and in the first half of the second round range over the past decade or so. If you think the guy is potentially a WR1, then great, take him. Just don't reach 

7 hours ago, Hate said:

Stroud just threw for 5 TD’s and 470+ yards. Receiver is not a huge need. They need to get better up front on both sides of the ball.

Seriously. 

I'd rather look at FAs at WR if anyone (like Mike Evans) is interested. CJ can clearly work with what he's currently got, and I expect Tank Dell to be a superstar combo with him. 

Draft needs are OL, DL, LB, and DBs. The rest will take care of itself. 

• Like 1