2023 Houston Texans thread

Macklemore

I don’t want to use the weather excuse, but the Texans looked a warm weather/indoor team yesterday. Hawaiian kicker is freezing his ass off so he misses a relatively easy field goal and chases it a short kickoff. That’s a 10 point swing.

Defense looked cold and didn’t want to hit Baltimore’s RBs in the second half. 

The future is indeed bright, but the team needs to win enough games in the regular season to stay home in January. If not, this shit is going to keep happening in KC, Buffalo, or Baltimore. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Any possible free agents the Texans would target? Or are we mainly focusing on the draft to upgrade?

They have cap space (projected $74m), but  resigning their own free agents may gobble a lot of it. Schultz (~$11.5), Rankins (~$9.5), Singletary (~$5), Nelson (~$10), Noah Brown (~$5), Fairbairn (~$4.5) plus signing bonuses, per sportrac predictions. 

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t want to use the weather excuse, but the Texans looked a warm weather/indoor team yesterday. Hawaiian kicker is freezing his ass off so he misses a relatively easy field goal and chases it a short kickoff. That’s a 10 point swing.

The future is indeed bright, but the team needs to win enough games in the regular season to stay home in January. If not, this shit is going to keep happening in KC, Buffalo, or Baltimore. 

Seeing the schedule next year we might be in the same position as this year at 10-7. I’d say 11-6 is probably the best we can do. Just don’t go backwards like the jags did this season after being the next “big thing”.

Texans can upgrade WR, RB, TE depth through the draft or free agency without breaking the bank. I'm sure CJ will have a lot of input there. 

Spend higher draft picks & money on OL,DL, LB, and DB. 

It's fun to finally care about the Texans and really get into the NFL draft. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yup. They laid an egg in this weather just like in the Jets game. I don’t get why we never really took any downfield shots other than the protection just wasn’t there. Still feels like we could have taken a couple of vertical shots down the field - this game and the Jets stick out as very bad days from the offense. Obviously both very good defenses to be fair. 

Nevertheless, hell of a season. Curious to see where Slowik ends up - I presume the next guy will fill in just fine. Which is crazy to say as a Texans fan. 

With all respect to Jerrod and Bobby who I think did a great job, Stroud is always going to make these guys look better than they are. I’m glad people want to hire our coaches, best sign possible, but unworried about departures. If Bobby stays, he’ll be better next year than this year, and if he departs Caserio will go get another zone schemer for OC and we’ll keep trucking.

What this team needs is a great draft and a great free agency period, and the rebuild would be over… can’t believe we’re that close. Caserio and Ryans dunking on errbody.

Edited by The Earl of Texas
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Any possible free agents the Texans would target? Or are we mainly focusing on the draft to upgrade?

I would like them to get Mike Evans if he's not too expensive. He's a Houston guy, up for his last big deal, might be willing to make a friendly deal to come play at home. He's made QBs like Mayfield and Manziel look great, and won a Super Bowl with Brady. The guy just beats DBs a ton and makes it easy on a QB. Pairing him with Stroud would be insane, and would take some heat off Nico and Tank, which will help them stay healthy. 

I don't think they need to spend a lot on a RB. Singletary is great if he's willing to return for a reasonable amount, but I don't think he was "special". I think they could get another RB in the draft like 3rd-5th round and a cheap 1-2 in free agency. 

They must find a new safety in free agency. We don't have time to spend a 1st or 2nd on a Safety and teach him how to play in the NFL. 

Bolstering the Dline and Oline are priorities for every team, but I think the O-line is where we really need it. Stroud is the engine that will drive this team to wins. Need at least 1 guard in Free Agency and 1 in the draft. Priority to one that can be a backup Center and eventually take the starter spot in a year or two. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

I would like them to get Mike Evans if he's not too expensive. He's a Houston guy, up for his last big deal, might be willing to make a friendly deal to come play at home. He's made QBs like Mayfield and Manziel look great, and won a Super Bowl with Brady. The guy just beats DBs a ton and makes it easy on a QB. Pairing him with Stroud would be insane, and would take some heat off Nico and Tank, which will help them stay healthy. 

I don't think they need to spend a lot on a RB. Singletary is great if he's willing to return for a reasonable amount, but I don't think he was "special". I think they could get another RB in the draft like 3rd-5th round and a cheap 1-2 in free agency. 

They must find a new safety in free agency. We don't have time to spend a 1st or 2nd on a Safety and teach him how to play in the NFL. 

Bolstering the Dline and Oline are priorities for every team, but I think the O-line is where we really need it. Stroud is the engine that will drive this team to wins. Need at least 1 guard in Free Agency and 1 in the draft. Priority to one that can be a backup Center and eventually take the starter spot in a year or two. 

Cooper DeJean from Iowa would be the ideal guy to target with our 1st round pick. Speaking of picks, I bet he would have made that one in the EZ on the 1st drive of the 2nd half. Pitre's a good depth piece but he needs to be replaced in the starting lineup.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Rip76 said:

IMG_3998.jpeg

I don't know much about the Titans run scheme. Henry has always struck me as a power runner. Would he be a good fit for our zone scheme?

12 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Evans would be a great addition, but I think he's a guy you go after once you have the rest of the holes filled. Nico and Tank are a solid WR1&2. We have bigger needs than WR.

Singletary is JAG. I'd bring him back on a team-friendly deal to be a backup, but I'd like to see us address the RB1 position via FA or the draft.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Caserio had some nice fill in finds like Greenard, Singletary, and Schultz. All should be welcomed back on reasonable deals with Schultz given the highest priority. 

If not, Caserio should be able to find cheap back fills. Does that equal a championship roster? Probably not unless they’re having very strong drafts. 

I would go ahead and process Kenyon Green. Reporting tobtraining camp hurt and fat won’t work for DeMeco. So they’re unfortunately going to spend valuable draft capital on a guard. 

No offense to J Brooks, but it’s a pretty weak RB draft class. WR is pretty deep, but they already have Nico and Tank Dell. I think they should best player available. If there’s a perennial OG in the draft, that would be my focus. I’d also be looking for a safety early. 

On 1/21/2024 at 10:07 PM, HtownHorn said:

Cooper DeJean from Iowa would be the ideal guy to target with our 1st round pick. Speaking of picks, I bet he would have made that one in the EZ on the 1st drive of the 2nd half. Pitre's a good depth piece but he needs to be replaced in the starting lineup.

I'm now seeing Cooper mocked in the 10-20 range, so I don't know if he will be there at 23, but he's a great prospect.  He's 6'1, which is perfect height for a DB, and he looks very fast, can play CB or S, and can return kicks too. Will be interesting to see how his 40 time is at the combine. Depending on how well he grades at the combine, he may be a top 15 guy. Apparently he won some high school track and field competitions in Iowa, which means he's very fast. 

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I'm now seeing Cooper mocked in the 10-20 range, so I don't know if he will be there at 23, but he's a great prospect.  He's 6'1, which is perfect height for a DB, and he looks very fast, can play CB or S, and can return kicks too. Will be interesting to see how his 40 time is at the combine. Depending on how well he grades at the combine, he may be a top 15 guy. Apparently he won some high school track and field competitions in Iowa, which means he's very fast. 

Yeah if he’s fully healthy by the combine he’s gonna put up crazy numbers; dude is athletic as hell…

I'm not surprised.  It's smart to wait for the right situation to come along. He will probably get a nice little raise for a year and then cash in next year.  There are always 6-8 openings every year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hate said:

I'm not surprised.  It's smart to wait for the right situation to come along. He will probably get a nice little raise for a year and then cash in next year.  There are always 6-8 openings every year.

good chance he’s the hottest hc candidate next off season