Let's talk about opposing fan bases in the SEC and the horns down ...

SimkinsMan

6 hours ago, TheAuditor said:

Things I learned at Alabama Friday and Saturday Night:

1) Traveling as a group of 6 mostly chill, fairly thick skinned dudes keeps the peace and the drive by BS to a minimum.  

2) Attractive women are plentiful in Tuscaloosa on game weekend. 

3) Walking through Fraternity houses is a fun exercise - however,  see #1 above.  

4) If an attractive women does horns down to you,  if you immediately laugh and do it back to them they are shocked,  you become the coolest guy ever,  and you get to hear their life story whether you want to or not. 

5) Lots of Auburn fans hiding in the weeds all weekend.   They all came out of hiding post game. 

6) AL must have a high electricity bill,  because the scoreboard was turned off while we were still in our seats.

7) Post game got very sketchy, very quickly on the streets outside the bars.    90min post game was no place to be walking around in orange. 

Lots of my son's Auburn friends went to Tuscaloosa.  And he said there were LOTS of fights after the game.  Generally, Bama fan vs. Bama fan.

• Haha 1

Now that the trolling appears to be done, it's true that it sounded like one jackass. But that jackass

1. Felt comfortable enough to do it and has therefore probably done it before

and

2. Got no pushback from anyone in that video, and the video was plenty long enough for someone to say something

If evidence comes out that he was made to leave the game then kudos to Alabama, their fans, and their stadium staff. But for now the video really does say something about them more generally even though only one guy was yelling it.

Do it right back to them. I’ve been doing that for three years. I did it all weekend in Tuscaloosa. It totally discombobulates them. They don’t know how to react. Strangely enough, it also made many of the offending coeds want to chat it up with 50+ year old dudes. 😆

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TheAuditor said:

Things I learned at Alabama Friday and Saturday Night:

1) Traveling as a group of 6 mostly chill, fairly thick skinned dudes keeps the peace and the drive by BS to a minimum.  

2) Attractive women are plentiful in Tuscaloosa on game weekend. 

3) Walking through Fraternity houses is a fun exercise - however,  see #1 above.  

4) If an attractive women does horns down to you,  if you immediately laugh and do it back to them they are shocked,  you become the coolest guy ever,  and you get to hear their life story whether you want to or not. 

5) Lots of Auburn fans hiding in the weeds all weekend.   They all came out of hiding post game. 

6) AL must have a high electricity bill,  because the scoreboard was turned off while we were still in our seats.

7) Post game got very sketchy, very quickly on the streets outside the bars.    90min post game was no place to be walking around in orange. 

Muledick!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, TheAuditor said:

And she might even show you her RTR tattoo on the inside of her lower lip. She was smoke!

image.thumb.jpeg.120768a570ba643b5b328ec321ef0e1f.jpeg

The only time my longhorns go horns down is when they are eating. When they are pissed or charging they are swinging them violently  ready to pitch your ass across the field, Orakpo style. Those gravy eating cake boys should stick to fixing their bangs and suckling their illiterate sisters.

Edited by Alien Octopus
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 9/10/2023 at 10:54 AM, SimkinsMan said:

... because I fucking love it.

Walking down the strip on Saturday evening in Tuscaloosa, wearing burnt orange, any number of young, drunk jackasses dropped the "horns down" on me and my party. It felt so cliched, so unoriginal, and yet so freaking awesome. I guess Alabama has an elephant or some fucking mascot which makes no sense? I can't be arsed enough to give a shit to know or care why. But everybody knows the Texas goddamn Longhorns. So my response, invariably, was "bring it on."

Barstool had set up some outdoor event before the game on the main drag, and was we walked by I could hear Dave Portnoy talking up the Alabama crowd. This fanbase was so classy, and so mature, and had seen it all that they were going to be the outlier, he said. They were above giving the horns down. But guess what? They weren't. I'm not sure how it looked on television, but everytime the stadium scoreboards showed a video feed of the crowd, it showed delightfully dimwitted students and kids and their parents throwing the horns down. Every time. 

Well guess what, motherfuckers. We love that shit.

You hate us? We love that you hate us. We expect it. You're going to hate us even more when we show up next year and take our place among the league elite. Aggies hate Texas more than they love our school. That's really what the Horns down means. "Ok, you may be better than us, but at least I know how to contort my hand like this."

As Sark said, embrace the hate. Because there's going to be more and more of it. 

That troll was wearing a Horns Down hat at the game.IMG_1183.thumb.jpeg.809c107cf18dc1f47963a2b78e0456e9.jpeg

On 9/10/2023 at 11:09 AM, speed817 said:

Apparently we whining about where the band was sitting last night too.....

Screenshot_20230910-110814.thumb.png.716f95e7c82bea60544e6e542c74717b.png

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cw_hEJLAY_6/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Alabama learned that Texas always takes the band knowing Texas fans travel. So don't lose because the eyes will get played on national TV in your own stadium.

14 hours ago, TexasPride10 said:

I actually had a decent conversation with some Bama fans on Saturday about them doing the horns down. They asked me what I thought about it, and here is basically what I said to them "It doesn't make me mad that y'all do it. I just think it's pathetic. Honestly, I think I would be embarrassed by it if I was an Alabama fan. The horns down is a Texas A&M thing, and y'all are basically aligning yourselves with them by doing the horns down. At this point, y'all should hate A&M almost as much as we do, so copying their tradition is embarrassing." The guys I was talking to actually felt like that was a good point; and that was BEFORE we pushed their shit in. If we can keep up the level of dominance we showed on Saturday, I'd honestly be surprised to see so many other fanbases doing it. We know aggy will always do it, but I think fanbases with some sense will realize "we look stupid as shit doing this while they're fucking us up". We'll see. 

I like others saw it from OU in the 80s. The way I took back then is that OU did it to express their hate for us and not because they thought we got bothered. So when a Bama guy came up to me doing it I said OU guy, he responded Bama, I said that is an OU thing, he said Bama and I said so you are just a copycat.

Edited by DanTheHorn

On 9/10/2023 at 11:27 AM, TommyGufano said:

That camera lady remains very lucky

Uh, maybe don't kneel down with your back to a large, horned animal that is only three feet away and probably weighs 30 to 40 times what you do?

Also, that's probably the fastest that fat ass dog has ever moved.

On 9/11/2023 at 12:58 AM, ousux said:
On 9/10/2023 at 4:55 PM, Macanudo said:
I am bothered way more by the way McConnaughey does his Hook 'Em than anything other knuckle dragging, mouth breathing, sister fucking fan bases do.  

The backwards hookem? Earl has been known to do it that way as well, you gonna send him a sternly worded letter? Lol

Cosigned.

3 hours ago, Davis Lane said:

This should be on a shirt.

Or at the very least on a plaque outside the stadium.

hilljr-bama.png

I thought he was pointing down to the stadium as in a "we own this house" fashion during the game. It was only on a rewatch that I realized he was doing the horns down back to the crowd. Made it even better.

I went to the game with a couple of Bama fans and almost everyone was great.  I've never seen so many people doing horns down in my life, but to be honest, it just seems like horns down is having a cultural moment.  It was always pretty rare at away games in the past (Notre Dame, Cal, Ole Miss, Maryland, WVU).  I have not been to the OU game in almost 20 years, but even at the State Fair it didn't seem as prevalent as in Tuscaloosa, where almost everyone did it when I walked by.  Other than that, though, no one was mean or intimidating at all - it all seemed like it was in good fun.

On a side note, we were on the opposite sideline upperdeck from the two bands, but I think I heard the Texas band more than the Bama band.  They were able to be heard all through the stadium for most of the fourth quarter.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/11/2023 at 8:48 AM, TexasPride10 said:

I actually had a decent conversation with some Bama fans on Saturday about them doing the horns down. They asked me what I thought about it, and here is basically what I said to them "It doesn't make me mad that y'all do it. I just think it's pathetic. Honestly, I think I would be embarrassed by it if I was an Alabama fan. The horns down is a Texas A&M thing, and y'all are basically aligning yourselves with them by doing the horns down. At this point, y'all should hate A&M almost as much as we do, so copying their tradition is embarrassing." The guys I was talking to actually felt like that was a good point; and that was BEFORE we pushed their shit in. If we can keep up the level of dominance we showed on Saturday, I'd honestly be surprised to see so many other fanbases doing it. We know aggy will always do it, but I think fanbases with some sense will realize "we look stupid as shit doing this while they're fucking us up". We'll see. 

When I was at UT (late 80's/early 90's), the only fanbase doing the Horns Down with any sort of consistency was the Sooners, not the aggies.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Do it right back to them. I’ve been doing that for three years. I did it all weekend in Tuscaloosa. It totally discombobulates them. They don’t know how to react. Strangely enough, it also made many of the offending coeds want to chat it up with 50+ year old dudes. 😆

This. Fuck em let’s do this. Up or down- Hookem bitches.