2024 NFL DRAFT

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, bejezuz said:

The average NFL player plays 3.3 years.  For every guy that hits a second contract, many more wash out after a couple of years.  Once you figure in the agent, taxes, and living expenses, a player taken after the 2nd round would be lucky to have 2 million in the bank at the end of his rookie deal.  It's a nice nest egg, but if you're trying to live off of it the rest of your life, you're looking at about 60-80K a year (3-4% of 2 mil) to live on without touching your capital. If you get chosen in the first round or early second round, yes, that's life-changing money if you can hold onto it.  But everybody else, unless you hit that second contract, odds are you're going to need an income-producing career after the NFL to live a comfortable middle-class lifestyle.        

Of course you need an income producing career.  HS teacher, car salesman, insurance, whatever.  But $2M in the bank when you're 25 years old is WAY better than the vast majority of Americans.  Let's not understate the amount of financial fuckery that goes on.

• Hook 'Em 3

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, bejezuz said:

The average NFL player plays 3.3 years.  For every guy that hits a second contract, many more wash out after a couple of years.  Once you figure in the agent, taxes, and living expenses, a player taken after the 2nd round would be lucky to have 2 million in the bank at the end of his rookie deal.  It's a nice nest egg, but if you're trying to live off of it the rest of your life, you're looking at about 60-80K a year (3-4% of 2 mil) to live on without touching your capital. If you get chosen in the first round or early second round, yes, that's life-changing money if you can hold onto it.  But everybody else, unless you hit that second contract, odds are you're going to need an income-producing career after the NFL to live a comfortable middle-class lifestyle.        

I bet a decent chunk of that money goes towards helping their families and girlfriends. It's not a lot of money once you factor in all the expenses these guys tend to have. Also, they probably don't believe this is all the money they are going to make in their NFL career, so they don't adjust their spending habits until it's too late.

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Of course you need an income producing career.  HS teacher, car salesman, insurance, whatever.  But $2M in the bank when you're 25 years old is WAY better than the vast majority of Americans.  Let's not understate the amount of financial fuckery that goes on.

Except that $2M is best case scenario for a vast number of players. The point I was trying to make is that, even in the NFL, you have a bimodal distribution of compensation that is far worse than people realize.  By promulgating the idea that every draftee is set for life, the system fucks these players just as much or more than their own financial stupidity, and that's after they survive the gauntlet of challenges just to make it to being drafted.  These players also have worked a fuck-ton harder than the average American to get where they are at 21-22.  And let's be honest, how many of us didn't just blow everything we had at that age?  Billionaire owners are getting rich, the cream of the crop talent gets paid the fuck-you money, and everybody else gets churned out with hopefully a little to save to get them to their pension and a decent interview story.      

Edited by bejezuz
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, bejezuz said:

Except that $2M is best case scenario for a vast number of players. The point I was trying to make is that, even in the NFL, you have a bimodal distribution of compensation that is far worse than people realize.  By promulgating the idea that every draftee is set for life, the system fucks these players just as much or more than their own financial stupidity, and that's after they survive the gauntlet of challenges just to make it to being drafted.  And let's be honest, how many of us didn't just blow everything we had at that age?  Billionaire owners are getting rich, the cream of the crop talent gets paid the fuck-you money, and everybody else gets churned out with hopefully a little to save to get them to their pension and a decent interview story.      

It's almost as if you haven't read what I wrote.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

It's almost as if you haven't read what I wrote.

I've read it, I just take issue with your focus on the money and comparing these men to average Americans.  The players earned the money, and truth be told, it isn't enough compared to the risks they take.  Getting fleeced out of the money they actually get to keep is just the tip of the iceberg of the dirtiness of professional sports.  

1 minute ago, bejezuz said:

I've read it, I just take issue with your focus on the money and comparing these men to average Americans.  The players earned the money, and truth be told, it isn't enough compared to the risks they take.  Getting fleeced out of the money they actually get to keep is just the tip of the iceberg of the dirtiness of professional sports.  

I think they're being taken advantage of every step of the way.  A little good advice from their agents could actually effect some change, and not cost those agents a dime.

Yeah, Mahomes gets to live in a huge mansion and drive multiple supercars.  You ain't Mahomes.  Here are the stats to back it up.

The risks they take? To play football? High school cheerleaders have a higher rate of serious injury. We have soldiers in Syria taking incoming fire every fucking day. They don’t get a couple mill. Cops don’t start at that salary. Or electricians. Fishermen. Lots more dangerous jobs. Oh they also got the opportunity to get a free college degree in there.

The players get almost half the top line revenue the league generates. If my math is right that’s $255mil per team so $8.16 billion goes to the players. If you are on a practice squad you make $385k if you stick 18 weeks. If the players don’t like the disparity between players they should deal with that with the NFLPA.

They are able to be full time athletes. They can learn business, further their education, get into coaching, scouting, front office in the offseason. It’s not like Bob Lilly making $10k a year, or Bart Starr getting up on Monday after getting drilled in the dirt by deacon jones and having to manage his insurance business in Alabama.

Of course if the are stupid with money and behavior, say Rashee Rice, you’ll be broke forever. That Lambo owner is wanting his money.
  • Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Looks like the citizens of Kansas are the next victims.

Well, Clark Hunt’s wife is a former Miss Kansas, so the state has already shown that they love her and are willing to put her on a pedestal.

2 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

The risks they take? To play football? High school cheerleaders have a higher rate of serious injury. We have soldiers in Syria taking incoming fire every fucking day. They don’t get a couple mill. Cops don’t start at that salary. Or electricians. Fishermen. Lots more dangerous jobs. Oh they also got the opportunity to get a free college degree in there.

At the end of the day, there are only 1696 men every year that can call themselves active NFL players, a majority of which do not have guaranteed contracts.  In comparison, there are approximately 2400 Navy SEALs currently serving in the US Navy.  Texas has approximately 140,000 licensed police officers.  Risk isn't just mortality rate, it's also the return on the work you've invested and the likelihood of long-term success versus the chance of losing everything you've put in to making it.  There are many, many less risky ways of making a million dollars than playing in the NFL.  Playing a pro sport isn't a game to them.  Being a professional athlete or entertainer is really hard, and it's a shame more fans don't appreciate that. 

At the end of the day, there are only 1696 men every year that can call themselves active NFL players, a majority of which do not have guaranteed contracts.  In comparison, there are approximately 2400 Navy SEALs currently serving in the US Navy.  Texas has approximately 140,000 licensed police officers.  Risk isn't just mortality rate, it's also the return on the work you've invested and the likelihood of long-term success versus the chance of losing everything you've put in to making it.  There are many, many less risky ways of making a million dollars than playing in the NFL.  Playing a pro sport isn't a game to them.  Being a professional athlete or entertainer is really hard, and it's a shame more fans don't appreciate that. 

I don’t know what you’re trying to say. To be really great at what you do takes a lot of hard work. My dad worked hard, was a great detective, and strapped on a gun to go to work. He made whatever meager pay the federal government paid him each year. I know a lot of professional musicians who have tons of records, work several nights a week, tour all over the world and in their best years made about $30k. Pro athletes. Does a AA ball player making $24k a year rate the same as LaBron? As far as guarantees, at the very least a player is generally guaranteed for the season. On second multiyear contracts the guarantee averages about half. That can be a stupid amount of money. Had Cleveland cut Watson his cap hit would have been more than their entire cap. That’s some stupidity

I’m trying to game out the Falcons’ thought process on Penix. 

They needed a pass rusher, but 8 was too early, so they started to think outside the box. 

They also knew if they moved back past 10 that the Vikings would pick Penix, and if they moved back to 13 they’d lose JJ to the Broncos. 

So if they wanted Penix, they had to stick and pick at 8. Yes it was garded to pick him that early, but they got their guy. I reject they could have traded back and acquired picks and still gotten Penix. JJ has a lot of question marks and Nix flat out sucks. Penix would have been gone after 12 at a minimum. 

I also heard the Falcons don’t expect to be picking in the first 10 during the life of Cousins’ contract, so they felt compelled to move now and get their guy. 

I think it’s a dogshit front office with a better than average owner. After what I saw last year, I hope Bijan gets out soon, and gets his 5th year picked up or signs an extension with his new team. 

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

They also knew if they moved back past 10 that the Vikings would pick Penix, and if they moved back to 13 they’d lose JJ to the Broncos. 

except the Broncos were never picking JJ. It was always Nix but the Falcons didn't know that.

It was a terrible move because they now have two QBs they are committed to and don't get the cap benefit of Penix's rookie deal if the turns out to be good. They'll still be paying Cousins. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, The Dog said:

It was a terrible move because they now have two QBs they are committed to and don't get the cap benefit of Penix's rookie deal if the turns out to be good. They'll still be paying Cousins. 

Yeah, this. No matter the logic about whether Penix was going to fall if you traded back, from a team building perspective you cannot give Cousins that contract and draft a qb in the top 10 in the same year. There is no rationale that makes it work.

Cousins is going to be on that roster for two seasons because of the dead money it would take to cut/trade him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Falcons are doubly stupid because they are in the weakest division in the NFL, where 9 wins might get you a home playoff game, and they didn't bother maximizing the impact of players for this year. Trading back from 8 would have been really smart in retrospect, because there wasn't even a single defensive player taken for 15 picks. They could have moved back and picked up some more 2nds and 3rds, and still got their top pick on defense. Move back more and you still get a top 5 defensive player on your board. There's nothing about Penix that makes me think he's worth that pick, or that he's so monumentally better than any QBs coming out in 25/26 that you needed to get him now. They could have done so much more with it, but I'm glad I'm not a Falcons fan.  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, bejezuz said:

At the end of the day, there are only 1696 men every year that can call themselves active NFL players, a majority of which do not have guaranteed contracts.

And at the end of the day, most won't get to a second contract, so being advised to bank what they can so they're not broke at 28 seems wise.  I know there are programs to try to drill this lesson home, but they don't seem to work so well.  I'm not losing sleep over someone blowing 2-3 mil with no degree to fall back on, but I think it's a shame it happens as much as it does.

There is no explanation for this stupidity that makes sense regardless of what the spin from the GM, the befuddled owner, and the coach. It’s just a dumb allocation of cap, stupid waste of a high draft pick, and potentially teamwrecking. In the nfl if you have two QBs you have none.

Most folks said at the end of the season that the Falcons were a good coach, solid QB, and and a pass rush away from owning the south. Morris imo has proven in previous jobs to be a strong motivator and excellent d coordinator.

Cousins is a $180 mil if he plays his full contract, with a $100 mil guarantee. If you go the veteran qb route it eats cap. It’s a commitment to a QB that is new to the team and market, is uprooting his kids, and could have stayed in Minnesota. If you had Cousins when did you decide to draft a QB? And why? The team is built to win now not down the road; Blank has been quoted that he wants the team to win now regardless of cap hit later. He’s 81.

So why draft Penix when you’re in the catbird seat to pick the best rusher? Maybe trade down a couple spots and get edge and a solid OT. Lots of options. Fontanot blew it with some cutesy strategy because he believes they won’t be in a low draft position down the road. That’s just dumb.

Penix is 24. He has some issues in his game that kept him in the next lower QB tier with nix. Age is part of it for both. Penix will sign a 4 year guaranteed contract for $22m with a $13.8 mil signing bonus. So the only way to learn to be a QB is to play in games. He will be sitting on Sunday and running scout team.

Atlanta can be a fickle city and will likely be clamoring for Penix the second he throws an INT. Cousins is pissed. It’s hard to believe you’re the guy when the team has already gone behind your back for your replacement. And Blank has been sold on it; it would be interesting to know Rich McKay’s opinion. Or what Morris really thinks.

A terrible stupid decision. This isn’t Jordan Love. Or Steve Walsh. Or Aaron Rodgers. All very different. Not that I care as I hate the Falcons and Arthur Blank.

On 4/28/2024 at 1:18 PM, Newy25 said:

He is also still a front running cunt today. That and the fact that he kind of sucks is probably why he fell in the draft. 

That, and name the last albino QB who succeeded in the NFL.

On 4/30/2024 at 2:07 PM, Fud said:

They could have just drafted Odunze at #8 and have been awesome on offense 

I dunno if I would call any offense headed by Kirk Cousins "awesome" but they would be a lot better having any player on the field instead of a very expensive backup QB.

I still can't believe they didn't work a trade with the Vikings or Broncos to go back a few spots and pickup a 3rd. 3-4 spots back to 11/12 is worth about that much, and they could have gotten more by playing them against each other.  Then they could have traded back more to get more picks and fill out their roster. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 1:54 PM, Dutchrudder said:

I dunno if I would call any offense headed by Kirk Cousins "awesome" but they would be a lot better having any player on the field instead of a very expensive backup QB.

I still can't believe they didn't work a trade with the Vikings or Broncos to go back a few spots and pickup a 3rd. 3-4 spots back to 11/12 is worth about that much, and they could have gotten more by playing them against each other.  Then they could have traded back more to get more picks and fill out their roster. 

I watched all of the Falcons' games last year so I could see Bijan.  That team was in the worst division in the NFL.  They had the easiest SOS in the league.  They had a solid roster.  Great O-line, Bijan is Barry Sanders lite, Drake London catches everything, Pitts has fallen off but he's a weapon, and their defense was very good.  They could easily have won 12 games.  Instead, they lost to the Titans playing a rookie QB in his first start.  They lost to Arizona on Kyler's first game back from a year layoff.  They lost to the Sam Howell led Commanders.  They lost to the Vikings when the Passtronaut had only been on the team for like two days and didn't even know the plays.  They lost to the fucking Panthers when they had to have a win to secure a playoff spot.  Why?  Because their QB was absolute garbage.  Just gave multiple games away with his turnovers.  Guys would be running wide open and he wouldn't even see them and instead would throw ducks into double coverage.  Bijan had to catch every pass jumping with one hand because Ridder was so inaccurate with his throws.  

So is it goofy for the Falcons to go whole hog on the QB?  Yeah.  But I get it.  Bad QB play ruins your entire team.  The Falcons don't want to be in a situation where they're forced to play a sub-par QB with this roster they have and ruining a new coach's start with their organization.  If you just go with Kirk or just go with Penix starting as a rookie and it doesn't work, you're right back to Heinicke and being fucked.  So maybe it wasn't the correct decision, but if you've watched the shit show that is the Falcons' offense since Matt Ryan left, it's an understandable one.

Edited by SpiralOut
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

I watched all of the Falcons' games last year so I could see Bijan.  That team was in the worst division in the NFL.  They had the easiest SOS in the league.  They had a solid roster.  Great O-line, Bijan is Barry Sanders lite, Drake London catches everything, Pitts has fallen off but he's a weapon, and their defense was very good.  They could easily have won 12 games.  Instead, they lost to the Titans playing a rookie QB in his first start.  They lost to Arizona on Kyler's first game back from a year layoff.  They lost to the Sam Howell led Commanders.  They lost to the Vikings when the Passtronaut had only been on the team for like two days and didn't even know the plays.  They lost to the fucking Panthers when they had to have a win to secure a playoff spot.  Why?  Because their QB was absolute garbage.  Just gave multiple games away with his turnovers.  Guys would be running wide open and he wouldn't even see them and instead would throw ducks into double coverage.  Bijan had to catch every pass jumping with one hand because Ridder was so inaccurate with his throws.  

So is it goofy for the Falcons to go whole hog on the QB?  Yeah.  But I get it.  Bad QB play ruins your entire team.  The Falcons don't want to be in a situation where they're forced to play a sub-par QB with this roster they have and ruining a new coach's start with their organization.  If you just go with Kirk or just go with Penix starting as a rookie and it doesn't work, you're right back to Heinicke and being fucked.  So maybe it wasn't the correct decision, but if you've watched the shit show that is the Falcons' offense since Matt Ryan left, it's an understandable one.

They already had Cousins under contract, why on earth would they need to spend a top 10 pick on another QB? If you really think Cousins is going to get hurt that easily, don't give him that deal or pick the 2nd best OT in the draft to protect him. Having a backup QB is important, but literally nobody spends a 1st on it only to be a Plan B. They could have done a lot of other things, like picking Rattler in the 4th instead. That's where a normal team picks a backup QB, not 8th overall. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

They already had Cousins under contract, why on earth would they need to spend a top 10 pick on another QB? If you really think Cousins is going to get hurt that easily, don't give him that deal or pick the 2nd best OT in the draft to protect him. Having a backup QB is important, but literally nobody spends a 1st on it only to be a Plan B. They could have done a lot of other things, like picking Rattler in the 4th instead. That's where a normal team picks a backup QB, not 8th overall. 

The Packers have chosen their QB knowing he’d backup a year or two for their last two starters.  Mahomes for a year.  Differences are that Cousins signed a huge contract but also is coming a major injury.  I think this philosophy is wise if the timing is right.

I’d bet Cousins starts 2 years then moves on.  You’d also think they had Penix graded incredibly high and felt they simply couldn’t pass on him.  Even if Penix sits for 3-4 years, he’s still got 10 if he’s the guy.

i did hear a guy on XMs fantasy station raking them over the coals for the Penix pick and was advocating for trading down and racking up some 1st rounders so maybe they could draft Arch.  That makes sense, but I’m not sure teams think that way.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

The Packers drafted Love as a Plan B.  The Chiefs drafted Mahomes as a Plan B.  In both cases with the goal for them to eventually be Plan A.  Which is exactly what the Falcons have done.  They just look stupid because the guy getting replaced just showed up and hasn't been an entrenched starter for years.  And because they spent the #8 pick.  

I'd bet Cousins starts 2 years then moves on.  You’d also think they had Penix graded incredibly high and felt they simply couldn’t pass on him.  Even if Penix sits for 3-4 years, he’s still got 10 if he’s the guy.

This is absolutely right.  Cousins' contract is front loaded.  $100 mill guaranteed sounds like crazy money, but it isn't in today's NFL.  Derek "I'm the definition of mid" Carr has a $100 mill guaranteed deal.  Daniel Dogwater Jones has a $100 mill guaranteed deal.  It's what QBs cost nowadays.  Anyway, Cousins' cap hit in Year 3 is $57.5 million.  So, I don't know what load of horse manure Blank and the Falcons' brass sold Cousins, but he was never going to be the guy for more than two years.  In three years when that huge cap hit would be coming down the Falcons are going to be needing to handle a lot of other contracts on the team.  They aren't going to have the money.  

And yeah, according to reports, the Falcons had Penix graded as the #2 QB behind Williams.  Maybe that's a crazy evaluation and completely off base, but if they really think that it's kind of hard for them to pass on the guy.  And they absolutely would have lost out on him.  Either Minnesota, Denver, or Las Vegas would have snatched him.  The word is multiple other teams had him rated much higher than the consensus board.  

I just don't think it's pants on head crazy to go get you a future franchise QB while also paying a vet who can win games for you now with a talented roster.  Culture is an important thing that not many people talk about.  The Falcons have a loser culture.  They miss the playoffs every year even in a shit division and Blank can't fill up that new stadium of his on game days.  Get you a veteran who can win now and then get you the QB of the future.  It's going to cost you.  But it's always going to cost you to find your franchise guy.  With both Cousins/Penix you get to teach up your rook who you hope is the 10+ year guy while also giving Morris a smooth start to his coaching gig while hopefully winning the division, making noise in the playoffs, and establishing a winning culture.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Nuge said:

Is Cousins healthy?
Didn't he just have achilles surgery in November?

He's throwing the ball around at minicamp currently.

He passed a physical for everything but his Achilles, which is supposed to be a separate physical they do later on.  

21 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Penix will be a distraction.  I can see why they like him but this was a mistake imo. If you wanted oenix, why bring in cousins?

Maybe they didn't think Penix was going to be available at 8

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Maybe they didn't think Penix was going to be available at 8

Didn’t see a lot of mocks that had him going in top ten. In fact, quite a few didn’t have him going in the first.  

could’ve traded up to 4,5 or 7 

Penix was rising fast. The Raiders absolutely were gonna take him, that's been confirmed I think. I dont understand the handwringing personally. All we do is constantly talk about how important the QB position is. If you see a guy that you think is a franchise QB sitting there at 8 you take him. Why are we acting like Kirk Cousins matters, at all? Coming off the achilles, old, less playoff wins than Dak. Yeah let's just totally trust him guys. And as far as paying him so much, who cares about that either? Figure out the money later.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Penix was rising fast. The Raiders absolutely were gonna take him, that's been confirmed I think. I dont understand the handwringing personally. All we do is constantly talk about how important the QB position is. If you see a guy that you think is a franchise QB sitting there at 8 you take him. Why are we acting like Kirk Cousins matters, at all? Coming off the achilles, old, less playoff wins than Dak. Yeah let's just totally trust him guys. And as far as paying him so much, who cares about that either? Figure out the money later.

If you don’t trust him why give him 180m?

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Desperate and didn't want to go into next year with Heinecke?

Didn’t think you could get a qb at 8?  Poor planning or research I guess.  Surely they weren’t shocked that penix was there at 8?

Not saying he’s not worthy of a top ten pick though most mocks had him much lower, but just shows poor planning and foresight.   

Edited by closetohumping

The first problem with the pick is the opportunity cost of taking Penix: they probably missed out on adding a good starter to the team (like Dallas Turner or Byron Murphy). The second problem is that Penix is probably a backup for the first two years of his rookie deal. A good QB on a rookie deal is the most valuable asset in the nfl. So you don’t get to take full advantage of that.

On the other hand, they probably think they’re a playoff team with Cousins (so they won’t be picking high) and they probably only plan to have Cousins for two years (so they’ll need another QB soon). If they really think that Penix is a franchise QB, then it makes sense to take him now because of how much more important the position is than any other. If he really is that good, say a top 10 QB starting in 2026, then it’s a great pick because they probably won’t have an opportunity to get that in two years without spending a huge chunk of the cap or a ton of draft capital.

Im not necessarily defending the pick, just saying that I’m not sure it’s as crazy as people are making it out to be. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You don’t take Penix after signing Cousins. You choose a path for your team at the end of 23. If you believe you are a QB and EDGE away, then make a decision. If everything is in place plug in a veteran.

Cousins with an Achilles recovery is a bit questionable, but who else you get? (Too bad they didn’t get Dak, they would have probably extended him @ huge money)
Once you make your plan stick to it. Buy your vet QB, draft your EDGE, get a decent vet backup, and go.

Fontanot came up with this crazy plan and sold it to dummy Blank. They end up with an expensive vet QB, missed on the first defensive pick for a day one contributor, traded a three to reach for a DT. And picked a player who won’t likely play until 2026/27 at age 27. It does no favors for Penix or cousins. It’s just stupid.

Besides the issues of draft and cap management we come to the team situation. In Atlanta the fans will be screaming for Penix the second Cousins throws an INT. It could split the team.

If you liked Penix that much then pass on Cousins. He was easily going to be there at 8. I think it’s stupid to think any rookie qb in this draft is perfect for a ready to win team, Penix has a learning curve and the only way to learn is to play. ATL per usual getting too cute.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

You don’t take Penix after signing Cousins. You choose a path for your team at the end of 23. If you believe you are a QB and EDGE away, then make a decision. If everything is in place plug in a veteran.

Cousins with an Achilles recovery is a bit questionable, but who else you get? (Too bad they didn’t get Dak, they would have probably extended him @ huge money)
Once you make your plan stick to it. Buy your vet QB, draft your EDGE, get a decent vet backup, and go.

Fontanot came up with this crazy plan and sold it to dummy Blank. They end up with an expensive vet QB, missed on the first defensive pick for a day one contributor, traded a three to reach for a DT. And picked a player who won’t likely play until 2026/27 at age 27. It does no favors for Penix or cousins. It’s just stupid.

Besides the issues of draft and cap management we come to the team situation. In Atlanta the fans will be screaming for Penix the second Cousins throws an INT. It could split the team.

If you liked Penix that much then pass on Cousins. He was easily going to be there at 8. I think it’s stupid to think any rookie qb in this draft is perfect for a ready to win team, Penix has a learning curve and the only way to learn is to play. ATL per usual getting too cute.

Ed Zachary.   I think Ross Tucker put it best in that it was a selfish move to ensure they preserve their jobs for two more years rather than make a big run now.  

nothing against penix.  He’s purportedly the one that’s most ready to play.  But Atlanta was shocked penix was there at 8 or if they wanted him that bad why not trade up and spend Kirk’s money on other players?  

fontenot was allegedly threatened by bellichek as well 

• Like 1

NFL contracts are basically rocket science to me, but I'm like 95% sure that they can walk away from Cousins after 2025. So Penix understudies for two years (and/or fills in for Cousins in the event of injury) and then they hand him the keys. Then they have two years (plus a 3rd if they pick up his option) to see if he can be the guy.

Clearly they believe they are a playoff team with Cousins, meaning a worse pick position in next year's draft. I think the big question is could they have traded down and picked up more assets and still landed Penix. I hadn't seen what @Pam Cummings said about Penix and the Raiders. Only time will tell if this all works out, but IMO you can see what they were thinking.

It's way more defensible than Denver's "sign/draft a bunch of guys that suck and hope one of them magically turns good" strategy.

1 hour ago, Texzilla588 said:

traded a three to reach for a DT. 

This was a way more egregious fuckup than the Penix pick, IMO.  Picking Penix causes you problems and costs you in a lot of ways, but the QB position is that important.  

However, this move was just flat out bad.  This Orhohoho kid is an athletic freak, but he's the guy who needs the most development at the DT position.  He's not a plug and play monster.  And no one had him ranked that highly.  The Falcons could have stood pat and still gotten him.  Or they could have traded up and grabbed a CB like Koo-laid McKinstry that they need and still pick this guy up later.  Instead, they just gave away their Calvin Ridley 3rd round comp pick.  

Here's PFF's thinking on the Falcons' draft and all the nuances of the Penix pick.

Everything about this reeks of Fontantot’s insecurity. He engineered the trade of Matt Ryan to Indy and bungled the transition with his parade of losers. The interviews with Belichik obviously shook him regardless of Bill’s promise to just coach.

Blank had told fontanot he was not going thru more years of unknown qb roulette hence he got Cousins, a close approximation to Matt Ryan. I think he overthought it by going ahead and drafting his replacement, but he’s covering his ass. I don’t hate the player, just the pick. I would not have taken Penix at all as blanks other instruction was win now. He’s 81 and wants a ring. This waste of a pick adds distance to that. Pathetic and should be fired.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/40101888/2024-nfl-draft-best-team-fits-landing-spots-top-rookies

Byron Murphy II, Seattle Seahawks

Drafted: Round 1, No. 16

Why he fits: New coach Mike Macdonald will scheme up Murphy as an interior force, taking advantage of his ability to generate backfield chaos against the run game and heat up the pocket as a pass-rusher. In 2023, Murphy had 35 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss and five sacks while at Texas.

Look for Macdonald to get Murphy loose on interior stunts, using the talented defensive tackle's quicks off the ball while also creating one-on-one matchups out of loaded fronts. Macdonald coached defensive tackle Justin Madubuike in Baltimore last season, and Murphy has similar disruptive traits to play that role in the Seattle front as a rookie.

Ja'Tavion Sanders, Carolina Panthers

Drafted: Round 4, No. 101 overall

Why he fits: When targeting tight ends last season, Panthers quarterback Bryce Young averaged just 5.5 yards per attempt. So adding Sanders, a tight end with middle-of-the-field stretch ability, is an upgrade for Young and the Panthers' pass game. Sanders has the frame and catch radius (6-foot-4, 245 pounds) to post-up defensive backs, and he can produce after the catch. Watch for him to run the seams, crossers and unders in the Carolina offense.

In his final season at Texas, Sanders averaged 7.8 yards after the catch per reception and logged 22 receptions of 15 yards or more. There's upside here for him in Dave Canales' offense.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don't really watch the NFL other than my Bucs, so does anyone know how good ATL's o-line is? If it's good then Cousins hopefully can stay upright and he'll have the talent to get them to the playoffs, and Penix can sit and learn. I don't care how old he is when he gets the start, sitting and learning is the way to go instead of throwing your rookie QB out there and killing his confidence. 

Rodgers, Mahomes, Love have all benefitted from sitting for at least 1 year to multiple years. I think Penix is a talent and will do fine so long as his WR'S aren't total garbage. Rondale Moore seems to have some talent, Drake London isn't total shit, maybe Mooney can be decent?, Kyle Pitts can be a freak, and he has Bijan who's a freak of nature. 

This is just my unbiased opinion of what I know about the Falcons. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana