Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

He got 323 pa.  Alvarez only got 496, so half of those would go to Alvarez if he stays healthy.  McCormick only got 457, so the other half should have gone to him.

But in an ideal world I don’t think Dubon gets 492 pa and Meyers gets less than 341.  So there’s definitely room for a near-everyday OF in the lineup.  I haven’t totally written off Meyers, and if they stick with him I will be hopeful that he can put up a career year and finish as a 2.5+ win/yr player.  But I am pretty confident that 2023 was peak Dubon and that asking him to significantly improve on that is probably unrealistic.

2.5 WAR for Meyers is not unrealistic if he gets full playing time. I want to say he averaged like 1 WAR for 187 plate appearlances but maybe it was 211 or something like that.  At either one if he played every game against LHP (they make up like 35% of the league) that would be something like 200 PA. If he split time the other time with RHP when Yordan or Tucker or Chas is off, or even if he is the starter when we have a fly ball pitcher pitching you could see him getting to 400 PA, in which case he would be right there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We need to be looking to trade Dubon. We don’t need to be paying a utility guy 3.2 million with our payroll. Trade while he may have some value. We got lucky with his production last year. If he plays that much next year we are in  trouble because I don’t think getting another year from Dubon like that is likely. We got great value on the field now turn that value into another piece and grab a cheaper util guy. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

We need to be looking to trade Dubon. We don’t need to be paying a utility guy 3.2 million with our payroll. Trade while he may have some value. We got lucky with his production last year. If he plays that much next year we are in  trouble because I don’t think getting another year from Dubon like that is likely. We got great value on the field now turn that value into another piece and grab a cheaper util guy. 

It's time for Pedro Leon.

• Hook 'Em 1

^^^
He’ll probably be added to the 40 man today before today’s rule 5 protection deadline. I think we currently have 3 open spots.  Other possibilities are

Colin Barber, OF (No. 😎
Justin Dirden, OF (No. 14)
Miguel Palma, C/1B (No. 17)
Zach Daniels, OF (No. 19)
Shay Whitcomb, INF (No. 25)
Jaime Melendez, RHP (No. 27)
Misael Tamarez, RHP (No. 30)

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

^^^
He’ll probably be added to the 40 man today before today’s rule 5 protection deadline. I think we currently have 3 open spots.  Other possibilities are

Colin Barber, OF (No. 😎
Justin Dirden, OF (No. 14)
Miguel Palma, C/1B (No. 17)
Zach Daniels, OF (No. 19)
Shay Whitcomb, INF (No. 25)
Jaime Melendez, RHP (No. 27)
Misael Tamarez, RHP (No. 30)

Barber and Corona are pretty much locks. Whitcomb, Tamarez, and LHP Julio Robaina are likely.  Melendez is an unknown.  I can’t see Dirden, Palma, or Daniels getting protected or drafted.

55 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

That is totally possible but he is a very high ceiling prospect whose skill set translates well to be stashed as a 4th OF on a crummy big league roster for a year.

There were only 15 players taken in last year’s Rule 5 draft. It’s likely he’s not in the top 10% of prospects that will be available. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There were only 15 players taken in last year’s Rule 5 draft. It’s likely he’s not in the top 10% of prospects that will be available. 
Not to mention like 90% of them taken are normally pitchers

So if he is one of the like 3 position players taken then that is gonna suck

12 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Do you think chas can repeat his production ?

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Do you think chas can repeat his production ?

I think he has better chance of maintaining his production than Dubon. I think he’s a good player but wouldn’t be afraid to include him in a trade package. I would just like more speed and athleticism in the outfield wether it be in addition to or in place of Chas. Teams definitely didn’t fear taking an extra base last year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I think he has better chance of maintaining his production than Dubon. I think he’s a good player but wouldn’t be afraid to include him in a trade package. I would just like more speed and athleticism in the outfield wether it be in addition to or in place of Chas. Teams definitely didn’t fear taking an extra base last year. 

espada knows what he has. It’ll be interesting what moves we make 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

We need to be looking to trade Dubon. We don’t need to be paying a utility guy 3.2 million with our payroll.

I think this is a terrible take. He’s a terrific value. His 2.7 WAR in 2023 translates into almost $22 million in value. He probably won’t match that in 2024 but he’d still be a bargain at half that. 

• Hook 'Em 3

53 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I think this is a terrible take. He’s a terrific value. His 2.7 WAR in 2023 translates into almost $22 million in value. He probably won’t match that in 2024 but he’d still be a bargain at half that. 

That value is exactly why we should trade him for the right deal. I like him, good in the clubhouse, a gamer and well liked but we have contracts to extend and we are up against the tax. Unless Crane wants to spend over it, we have to cut somewhere. Every little bit helps. Finding a similar player for $1 mill or less is 2 mil toward a reliever. We really need some young guys to take pressure off payroll but though possible not entirely probable. Tough and creative decisions are in order. Montero is getting Dubons money. But I totally get your point for sure. I’d love to keep him also.

30 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

That’s what non-contenders do. 

Good organizations maximize value.  Your comment could have easily been a response to someone suggesting trading Myles Straw  in 2021.  

If Houston gains more wins by giving Dubon’s playing time to Kessinger and/or Meyers (or another cheap young player) while trading Dubon for a vastly underrated underrated pitcher and/or prospect, they should do that.

• Hook 'Em 1

I know Dubon looks like a dorky 15 year old high school kid, but he's actually 29. Chas is 28, both of them have 3 years of arbitration left. They are both expected to get about 3.2 million in arbitration this offseason, so the question is, which one do you prefer, or do you trade both/neither?  I know which one I prefer of the 2...

image.png.9b0e663b35c66db50c524a0bfab5d139.png

image.png.849ca1a0e1781c47318887d871dc6e47.png

28 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I know Dubon looks like a dorky 15 year old high school kid, but he's actually 29. Chas is 28, both of them have 3 years of arbitration left. They are both expected to get about 3.2 million in arbitration this offseason, so the question is, which one do you prefer, or do you trade both/neither?  I know which one I prefer of the 2...

No one except Dusty would choose Dubon.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

dubon can back up 7 of 9 positions, at a gold glove level

show me who else does that in mlb ?

57 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

dubon can back up 7 of 9 positions, at a gold glove level

show me who else does that in mlb ?

I doubt he would be a gold glove thirdbaseman, he doesn't have the arm for that.

In any case, he's a great utility player, but we have had plenty of those come through the organization over the last decade, and there are always new ones to be called up. I think the argument made upthread was more of a "you have to give something to get something," and Dubon is certainly valuable as a trade piece. His value is considerably less for the Astros when the team is healthy too, which we hope (fingers crossed) none of the starters begin the season on the IL for a considerable amount of time.

So if he can be a piece of a trade that nets the team a better player, or adds some bullpen depth, why not?  The Astros shouldn't have to rely on someone like him in the playoffs, his role should be the 10th man so to speak, but there are plenty of guys who can do that during the regular season. It doesn't have to be one guy backing up 7 others, that's why you have 26 active roster spots. 

• Hook 'Em 1