2023-24 Houston Rockets Thread - Climbing out of the Gutter?

BigOrange1

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Feels like this Green’s first year learning basketball in the last 5 years. Maybe he will ramp up as the season goes on?

For TR+1st, I’d rather let it ride. 

That is the problem though. Green has to be pushed before he takes his profession seriously. The whole notion of Green finally getting coached fails because Sengun had the same coaching as Green with the Rockets and he has improved every season. Either you have it you to get better or you don't. I don't think Green has it him in to get better.

Rozier would be a great fit on this team due to his shooting he is shooting the absolute shit out of the ball right now. I get the idea of trading a distressed asset, but you have to also consider the fact that Green's value might not be done falling.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

His game tonight really pissed me off. He is unplayable at the end of a close game with his stupid turnovers and crappy shot selection. I’m done. Get what you can for him at the deadline.

Played the entire OT and the Rockets were sunk. Took one shitty shot that was blocked. Put any vet SG in his place and the Rockets are easily in the top 6 of the West.

• Hook 'Em 1

Worst half of basketball the Rockets have played all season. Lucky to be only down 12 to the Hawks at home at the half. Our defense and rebounding have been non-existent the past 3 games. This is not Ime’s winning style of basketball. Did they get too fat and happy with the 5 game win streak?

Edited by Macklemore

15 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Worst half of basketball the Rockets have played all season. Lucky to be only down 12 to the Hawks at home at the half. Our defense and rebounding have been non-existent the past 3 games. This is not Ime’s winning style of basketball. Did they get too fat and happy with the 5 game win streak?

Green is getting exposed every game now defensively. Today the bench has given us nothing. Atlanta is awful, so I bet we can make it a good game in the 2nd half.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was fucking around with a trade machine..... how about this three teamer which it accepted (and you guys balance with the draft picks to make it work -- I think Cleveland probably gets some)

Rockets get: Donovan Mitchell, Myles Turner

Cavs get: Buddy Hield, Jalen Green, and picks

Pacers get: Fred VanVleet and Jock Landale and picks

This requires that Pacers and Cavs have decided they are toast this season, and I think they say "no" anyway, but I was stunned this got through the algorithm.  

Edited to add..... Cavs absolutely say "no" here unless they want to reboot again, tank, and hope they can pair a top 3 pick with healthy Mobley and rehabilitated Green.

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Another game and half and just more horrible play from Green. It's crazy he's getting in run right now, he's fucking abysmal, like he needs to go the GLeague abysmal.

Ime benching him for the final 18 minutes of a tight game indicates he agrees with you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

After the seasons of John Wall-assisted tanking for top picks, if I could only keep 3 it would probably be the later picks Sengun (obviously), Eason, and Whitmore whose picks had nothing to do with tanking. 

Yeah it is wild we did better with the lower picks in all three years I was thinking the same thing. I'm still pissed we didn't draft Mobley in 2021 that was who I wanted. In 2022 I was cool with Jabari but I wanted Ivey a bit more then last year in 2023 I was pissed off we got to pick 4th in a 3 player draft but it seems like we managed to take the shittier of the Thompson twins even at that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

If Drafting Mobley means no Sengun, I’d do it again. Segun is the better player. 

Yeah. But in real time this past draft and sense, it confused my pea brain that we drafted a freaky athletic guard who can’t shoot when we already a great one of those in Jalen. 

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

After the seasons of John Wall-assisted tanking for top picks, if I could only keep 3 it would probably be the later picks Sengun (obviously), Eason, and Whitmore whose picks had nothing to do with tanking. 

Something has clicked with Jabari. He is averaging 27 pts/10 rebounds the last 3 games playing very efficiently. He and Şengun played like the best young frontcourt tandem in the league last night. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Yeah. But in real time this past draft and sense, it confused my pea brain that we drafted a freaky athletic guard who can’t shoot when we already a great one of those in Jalen. 

Jalen and Şengun were drafted in 2021, in the same draft Mobley was picked by Cleveland. You’re confusing Jalen Green with KPJ who was already on the team.

Edited by Macklemore

14 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Jalen and Şengun were drafted in 2021, in the same draft Mobley was picked by Cleveland. You’re confusing Jalen Green with KPJ who was already on the team.

No I’m saying I wouldn’t have drafted Thompson in 2023 since Jalen has shitty shooting on lockdown already. Houston played the game of lotteries and lost. I would’ve traded the #4 pick or taken someone who wasn’t a G-league project. 

15 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Another game and half and just more horrible play from Green. It's crazy he's getting in run right now, he's fucking abysmal, like he needs to go the GLeague abysmal.

But they have to feature him so they can get him ready for an inevitable trade! Maybe they can send him to Philly, since they love former Rockets.

Would love to see him, Oladipo and Amen+picks going to Cleveland for Mitchell. If Brooklyn is really trying to get Mitchell, we need the Rockets get in on that trade to prevent those future picks from losing value. Can't let Brooklyn get better, but I also think Mitchell would be a great fit here to help improve the offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

He's likely pouting and now he is completely detrimental to the team when he is on the court. If we could flip for a rotational guard on a decent contract, we should do it. We also need to clear Tate from the team because he's the Rockets version of Jake Meyers.

I bought my son a Tate jersey for Christmas. He's staying. 

Edited by Slacks
Swypo

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The new one plays defense and passes really well. 

5 minutes ago, Slacks said:

The new one plays defense and passes really well. 

Doesn't matter because he can't shoot from anywhere on the court. The problem is the Rockets need to win this year, but only Smith, Eason, and Sengun are capable of helping them do this. Green, Whitmore, and Thompson aren't those guys this season. Then you have the other wasted picks that we had to give away to other teams for future draft assets. If they can be used to bring back quality rotation pieces thn they should be traded.

Edited by HtownHorn

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Doesn't matter because he can't shoot from anywhere on the court. The problem is the Rockets need to win this year, but only Smith, Eason, and Sengun are capable of helping them do this. Green, Whitmore, and Thompson aren't those guys this season. Then you have the other wasted picks that we had to give away to other teams for future draft assets. If they can be used to bring back quality rotation pieces thn they should be traded.

Shooting skill can be acquired by elite athletes who have the discipline to focus on acquiring the skill. He hasn't been properly coaches to shoot. 

What are we attributing Green's swoon to? A lot of people are pointing out that he's a ball dominant scorer while Fred of course is a facilitator. They just don't see like a good pairing. 

I'd hate to move Green for more picks. I think we something more proven in return. What's good value for Green? 

29 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What are we attributing Green's swoon to? A lot of people are pointing out that he's a ball dominant scorer while Fred of course is a facilitator. They just don't see like a good pairing. 

I'd hate to move Green for more picks. I think we something more proven in return. What's good value for Green? 

Depends on the team, right?

If they need a ball dominant scorer, they probably dont have much to offer in return, even if they value him highly. 

If they have a faciliting PG, they're not going to value a ball dominant scorer. 

Either way, it's not going to maxize the return for the potential. 

Me, as a GM, I don't think you abandon high potential after a bad half of a season unless you can get return that add significantly to the win column

Edited by Slacks
Swypo

Whitmore offensively is already worth playing significant minutes. He has a smooth jumpshot and a great finisher around the basket. Ime wants/needs him to get better defensively. Once that light clicks on, we need to move Jalen and Tate for a backup 5, an off the ball SG that plays great defense, and a draft pick. Then we're cooking next year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 12/24/2023 at 9:34 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

If Drafting Mobley means no Sengun, I’d do it again. Segun is the better player. 

Hindsight 2020 and what not I'm just saying in 2021 when we were drafting I got pissed we didn't draft Mobley with no conception of who the player Sengun would go on to be....

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Tough loss, Halliburton is so fucking good. 

I absolutely love the way Ime handles his players and challenges them. How do they respond to adversity? I think Jalen played less than 20 minutes tonight. I'm not a big believer in him, but if he's gonna figure it out, now is the time to wake up. 

I just wish Whitmore got some time on the floor. Oh and I wish Brooks wasn't a complete dumb shyte too.