Things not going well for Twitter

Parliament

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-twitter-fake-accounts-20180709-story.html

Twitter Inc.'s stock sank Monday after a news report said the company suspended more than 70 million accounts in May and June — a cleanup of the platform that may affect user growth.

That's gonna leave a mark.

The company estimates that roughly 5% of its active users are fake or involved in spam, but outside researchers have said the number is much higher.

That's gonna leave a scar.

5 minutes ago, Parliament said:

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-twitter-fake-accounts-20180709-story.html

Twitter Inc.'s stock sank Monday after a news report said the company suspended more than 70 million accounts in May and June — a cleanup of the platform that may affect user growth.

That's gonna leave a mark.

The company estimates that roughly 5% of its active users are fake or involved in spam, but outside researchers have said the number is much higher.

That's gonna leave a scar.

And the CFO came out before lunch and said they don't count those users into the all important metrics Wall Street looks for.  We'll see what happens.  I think the move was way overdone and the research wasn't exactly thorough.  

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

That's what the guys at MySpace said.

As a consumer of Twitter, I can say the slight visible changes they’ve made to the platform over the past few years have improved the user experience, including killing off those 70 million accounts.

Twitter has already changed the world in big ways going back to the Arab Spring eight years ago and the 2016 election of Trump.

The platform isn’t going to lack investors anytime soon.

5 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Forward P/E is around 70, which is about what FB was at this stage in the game prior to their explosion. 

Forward P/E is implying earnings will be 31 times higher for the next 12 months  than they were the previous 12 months? I doubt it.

7 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Forward P/E is implying earnings will be 31 times higher for the next 12 months  than they were the previous 12 months? I doubt it.

Well, considering they started turning a profit 2 quarters ago and that is growing quickly, it’s not that hard to imagine.   Not to mention that two quarters prior on the trailing were losses rather than positive earnings, it makes it fairly realistic.  I have been making a case on investing in TWTR since it was in the 14-17 range.   I think it still goes higher from here and a high likelihood of it getting bought by GOOG, AMZN, DIS, or merger with NFLX

Edited by Trey3216

Long term, twitter has to dump the fake accounts.  If it means speed bumps in "active users" so be it.  Twitter's downfall will be stuff like bots.  Go get 'em. 

As a user of twitter but stock holder of Square, I don't care if twitter goes under; I hope Jack Dorsey gets back to Square full time...

Fucking fake accounts? Shit, my account was hacked 5+ years ago and started filling up my 8 followers with spam. I contacted Twitter numerous times to correct the issue and was basically told I couldn't prove it was my account even though I had access to all associated other accounts. They clearly didn't give a fuck and don't give a fuck. They just want volume.

Even now I'm told anytime I click on a Twitter link from Tapa that it's taking too long and that it's my fault and I need to sign up for Twitter. I tried and they said the account was already in use. No shit, it's my email address and my account that you locked me out of so you could let spammers increase your post count. Twitter encourages hackers and spam accounts.

Beyond that, Twitter is ruining social discourse and helping to destroy the country.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

Fucking fake accounts? Shit, my account was hacked 5+ years ago and started filling up my 8 followers with spam. I contacted Twitter numerous times to correct the issue and was basically told I couldn't prove it was my account even though I had access to all associated other accounts. They clearly didn't give a fuck and don't give a fuck. They just want volume.

Even now I'm told anytime I click on a Twitter link from Tapa that it's taking too long and that it's my fault and I need to sign up for Twitter. I tried and they said the account was already in use. No shit, it's my email address and my account that you locked me out of so you could let spammers increase your post count. Twitter encourages hackers and spam accounts.

Beyond that, Twitter is ruining social discourse and helping to destroy the country.

RT: @houstonhorn