Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

The Drogon problem is probably why Bran is still there, I hope. Only way to really control Dany's one true advantage is for Bran to warg into it and kill it or even use it against her.

Depends on if its playoff Drogon or regular season Drogon. Just have a bunch of dudes in masks throw spears at it.

Just now, Horny04 said:

The Drogon problem is probably why Bran is still there, I hope. Only way to really control Dany's one true advantage is for Bran to warg into it and kill it or even use it against her.

Maybe.  Possibly.  Use Drogon to take out what (from the upcoming scenes to last episode) is still a considerably sized army.  Danny cries a lot. Waches (as Cersei did ) as her world crumbles in the same fashion as she did to the city.  Lots of screams, etc.  Then fly the dragon in the side of a mountain or something generic like that.

GoTtrailer.jpeg?9rFCw_WaoWfFM5BceW2mf5q1

1 minute ago, seven said:

Dany has been threatening to burn cities to the ground since early season 2. She's always been talked out of it. Anyone paying attention should not at all be surprised this happened after euron killed her dragon and then was provoked even further by killing missendei. The show has been preparing for this for a long time, a lot of you seem to have just never noticed. 

lol. It's actually the inverse. People who watch casually generally buy what Dany did. People who have followed the show and/or books closely don't seem to buy it.  I understand they've always alluded to it, but they've built up the part of her character that kills the guilty and protects the innocent exponentially more. Unrealistically killing one of her dragons and somehow capturing/executing one of her closest friends in a single episode with minimal reaction time from Dany didn't really lay the groundwork to believably undo her development for the last 7 1/2 seasons.

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

My guess

Dany puts Tyrion on trial. John intervenes. Greyworm fights Jon. He kills Greyworm. Dany gets her Dragon all ready to burn him and the north people. Bran wargs the dragon and flies away. Jon kills Dany. 

With where we're at with this show, I would actually enjoy all of that, but the writers have been shying away from the magic/fantasy elements of the show as much as possible for the last 2 seasons, so I doubt they'd go with the dragon warging route, even though I've been hoping to see it for a while. IMO, Bran warging the ice dragon would've been the best possible dragon warging plot.

I'm also not sure if they've really explained that warging a dragon would be close to impossible and pretty much be a suicide mission for Bran.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

With where we're at with this show, I would actually enjoy all of that, but the writers have been shying away from the magic/fantasy elements of the show as much as possible for the last 2 seasons, so I doubt they'd go with the dragon warging route, even though I've been hoping to see it for a while. IMO, Bran warging the ice dragon would've been the best possible dragon warging plot.

I'm also not sure if they've really explained that warging a dragon would be close to impossible and pretty much be a suicide mission for Bran.

At this point, our junior varsity writers are going to completely shit the bed at the end thenext episode and pull a Terminator 2 and have the melted NK reconstitute....

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I watched every episode. When the bells rang and Dany was staring menacingly at the Red Keep, it made complete sense for her to fly over their and burn Cersei into a crisp. 

There is zero character anecdotal evidence that justifies her calculatingly, row by row, street by street, making sure not to miss a single area of King's Landing, murder innocent women and children. 

I don't have a problem with the actual result of Dany turning into The Mad Queen. How we got there is the biggest issue. 

Thrones has been planting the seeds for a Mad Queen heel turn by Daenerys for years. A few moments from the series stand out in particular:

-In Season 1, she and Khal Drogo are excited to give birth to “The Stallion Who Mounts the World,” a near-messianic figure who Mirri Maz Duur says will burn cities to the ground.

-In Season 2, Dany repeats that idea, promising to “burn cities to the ground” once her dragons are fully grown, when she’s outside the gates of Qarth.

-In Season 6, she threatens to return the cities of Slaver’s Bay “to the dirt.”

-Throughout the show, Daenerys has burned people alive: first a master in Meereen, then the Tarlys, and then Varys in this latest episode.

https://www.theringer.com/game-of-thrones/2019/5/13/18617389/game-of-thrones-daenerys-targaryen-season-8-episode-5-mad-queen

I'm not saying it was done perfectly but those complaining that the heel turn came out of left field haven't been watching. She has always been walking the fine line of wanting to be the people's queen and the next minute having everyone and their brother "bend the knee" to show her the respect she deserves. 

And now of course we have people bitching because "male writers" ruined a strong female character because they are males. (not you just twitter being twitter)

It was a solid episode, yes there were plenty of holes but I still enjoyed it and at this point second guessing everything just doesn't seem like it's worth it. 

A lot of what we are seeing comes down to economics. Emilia Clarke supposedly wants out of the series, so she signs on for four weeks of filming (or something like that, perhaps). So she sits on a dragon and stands by a window for most of the season. Heads up - they don't film this shit sequentially. They go to a location, set up the lighting for the shot, the actors come in and do their lines, then go drink coffee and try to get laid. Then they set up the next shot. You could theoretically film the last scene in the first take of the season.

Maybe the Directors want some other shit to happen, maybe they even decide later to do it, but Clarke wants X hundred thousand to return for a week, so they pass. I think quite often they will film a character from the rear - maybe for almost every scene, in case they need to change dialogue somewhere in the story. That way they can show him delivering the lines, but you can't see his lips move. At the end, the editors piece what they have together and hope they've got all the shots they need.

They say that the Oscar for film editing is usually indicative of which film gets the Best Picture award.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

2 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I'm not saying it was done perfectly but those complaining that the heel turn came out of left field haven't been watching.

No one is surprised about the heel turn. It didn't feel like some shocking twist. What we're saying is it wasn't earned through character development or storyline. 

• Like 4

As someone else said earlier in this thread - they should have wrapped up the Night King story in season 7 and dedicated a full final six extended length episodes to the battle for the throne. All of this would have been easier to swallow.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

No one is surprised about the heel turn. It didn't feel like some shocking twist. What we're saying is it wasn't earned through character development or storyline. 

There are plenty of people "surprised" and unhappy with the turn. I agree, the story has been absolutely rushed but we should have all known that was going to happen as soon as we found out there was on 6 episodes to tie up so many loose ends.  

I'm in the camp of really disliking the abruptness of Daenerys' heel turn. The problem is that so much of what has happened this season now feels like filler. I really enjoyed the episode before The Long Night because that was the one where the writers played on all the relationships we've seen developed over the previous seven seasons and so many characters got wonderful moments in it. Ultimately, all of the important characters in that episode survived. Last week's episode was about 45-50 minutes of slow moving plot development and then like 20 minutes of action. We're looking at 1.75 episodes of a six episode season not really doing much to establish what was supposed to be the biggest twist of the final season. 

1 minute ago, JimmyHoffa said:

There are plenty of people "surprised" and unhappy with the turn. I agree, the story has been absolutely rushed but we should have all known that was going to happen as soon as we found out there was on 6 episodes to tie up so many loose ends.  

My point is that if you told every GOT watcher two seasons ago that Dany would turn into the Mad Queen no one would be surprised. But they would have assumed her character and storyline would have properly led her to that ending, which it didn't. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Thrones has been planting the seeds for a Mad Queen heel turn by Daenerys for years. A few moments from the series stand out in particular:

-In Season 1, she and Khal Drogo are excited to give birth to “The Stallion Who Mounts the World,” a near-messianic figure who Mirri Maz Duur says will burn cities to the ground.

-In Season 2, Dany repeats that idea, promising to “burn cities to the ground” once her dragons are fully grown, when she’s outside the gates of Qarth.

-In Season 6, she threatens to return the cities of Slaver’s Bay “to the dirt.”

-Throughout the show, Daenerys has burned people alive: first a master in Meereen, then the Tarlys, and then Varys in this latest episode.

https://www.theringer.com/game-of-thrones/2019/5/13/18617389/game-of-thrones-daenerys-targaryen-season-8-episode-5-mad-queen

I'm not saying it was done perfectly but those complaining that the heel turn came out of left field haven't been watching. She has always been walking the fine line of wanting to be the people's queen and the next minute having everyone and their brother "bend the knee" to show her the respect she deserves. 

And now of course we have people bitching because "male writers" ruined a strong female character because they are males. (not you just twitter being twitter)

It was a solid episode, yes there were plenty of holes but I still enjoyed it and at this point second guessing everything just doesn't seem like it's worth it. 

I don't think too many (any?) people are complaining here about Dany turning bad/crazy, but just with the circumstances under which it happened.   There is a big difference between burning alive soldiers/officials who refuse to surrender or who betray her, on the one hand, and a surrendered population of civilians including children on the other (along with her own troops and Arya, who were in the trenches too).  Especially for a character who is well-established to have a particular soft spot for innocent victims of tyrants. 

And I'm not saying I couldn't buy Dany slaughtering a bunch of kids, if there was a convincing turn of events justifying that transition.   But what was the trigger for taking this enormous step?   She won, and the people essentially defied Cersei to ring the bells and surrender.   Going straight for Cersei would have been in character.   Having Cersei fake the surrender and launch a surprise attack that fails, leading angry Dany to torch everything because there was no real surrender, would have been in character and reached the same result.   It just made no sense to me that Dany would choose to go street by street to slaughter civilians in that moment. 

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Her mother died giving birth to her.

Her father was murdered, stabbed in the back by his sworm protector, Jamie Lannister

Her eldest brother Rhaegar was killed by Robert Baratheon. Rhaegar's wife and children were murdered by the Lannisters during the sack of King's Landing. 

The Lannisters forced her and her brother to flee across the Narrow sea to Pentos. 

She was sold to a foreign horse worshipper who basically rapes her on her wedding night. 

Her baby was stillborn. Her husband died 

The Lannisters try to kill her again

Cersei promises to send troops to help with Night Walkers, doesn't. 

Cersei/Euron kill one of her dragons with Scorpion arrows. 

Cersei cuts the head off her best friend Meisandre. 

Yeah....just flipped the switch there. 

Maybe flipping a switch was a bad choice of words. But Dany has had a stated goal of ruling without tyranny, protecting innocents, etc.  And in the time since all the things you described (except Missandei's death) we have seen Dany be logical, politically savvy, and empathetic. Clearly not insane. The Mad King had voices in his head (he went mad). Sure seems to me Dany went fully mad at some point in the last two episodes in order to be capable of the atrocities we saw.

I get her being ruthless, vengeful, and power hungry. We have seen plenty of that. After Missandei's death and what she perceives as Jon's betrayal, I could understand her roasting Cersei, the Red Keep, and all of its innocent inhabitants. Just some collateral damage in her quest for the Iron Throne and power over Westeros. But why is she intentionally burning the streets of KL, nowhere near the red keep after she clearly heard the bells ringing?  The city and Lannister troops already feared her at that point. Was she having a psychotic break? We don't really know since we don't see her face after she starts her destruction.  That's why I'm interested to see how she is acting next week.

Question: Was the last time we saw Dany's face last night when she was staring menacingly at the Red Keep? I don't recall a single moment of seeing her face/reactions while riding the dragon and torching KL. 

Basically she turned in to the Mad Queen and it was just background action while focusing on other characters.

45 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

My guess

Dany puts Tyrion on trial. John intervenes. Greyworm fights Jon. He kills Greyworm. Dany gets her Dragon all ready to burn him and the north people. Bran wargs the dragon and flies away. Jon kills Dany. 

I think Greyworm would beat Jon's ass, skill wise.

Yep. From a macro-storytelling perspective and micro-detail perspective.  Dragons are easy to kill in episode 4 but impossible to kill in episode 5. Dragon fire doesn’t explode castles in episode 3, but it can cut a parapet of the Red Keep in half and explode through the outer wall of king’s Landing in episode 5.
If dragon fire just explodes everything in it’s path, then why didn’t Jon die at the end of episode 3, when he’s hiding behind a 3 foot high stone wall?
on and on the list of huge inconsistencies go. 

Rejoice in the fact that they will be working on a Star Wars and the precedent has been set for lightsabers to cut through metal and chop limbs with east to glancing off of leather jackets.

The whole story is about the corruption of good men and women. 

Stannis was corrupted by his lust for power. 

The Hound was corrupted by revenge.

Jaime was corrupted by the love for his sister.

Dany was corrupted by her lust for power.

Tyrion has been corrupted by his loyalty to his queen. 

Arya was almost corrupted by revenge. 

Jon Snow? Will he be corrupted by his loyalty to his queen?  

The characters that seem incorruptible usually end up murdered by the ones that are:  Ned Stark and Varys are good examples. 

• Like 1

Woke up hating it now...I wanted to like it.  But I'm on the ship with the writer's mailed it in.  They have rushed everything this season.  All the build up a from prior seasons....threw everyone together with little explanations on things we want to hear.  They took a page out of the Lost writing book.

Varys going out so quick?  Hope he did send out that message about Jon being the true heir.

Cersei with the romantic death..who wanted that?? No confrontation of a face to face with any of the other team.

Jon again didn't really do shit...not important.  Just more of nice guy Jon staring confused about what is right and wrong.

Can we see other scenes and not Arya running around and around....and around?

Build up to Dany going mad was sorta there...but wanted more.

Clegane bowl was legit...just wished it meant something like going through Mountain to get to Cersei so Arya could fight...but then maybe Jaime steps in before Arya. But hey...l'm no writer.  But I realize that was strictly personal between the bros.

At least Aaron Rodgers got burned.

I don't think I will ever re-watch S8, and I am a huge fan of this series.  

I may not be remembering right but didn't Dany used to talk about how she wanted to "break the system or wheel" or something like that? Doesn't really explain killing innocent people but would be consistent with destroying King's Landing / Red Keep.

Also I think this storyline would've been classic GoT if it had been allowed to play out more slowly and in more detail. Unfortunately they're squeezing all of this into a few episodes, when previously it may have been over 2-3 seasons with a lot more intricacy. Just an unfortunate byproduct of the business side of the show and saving too much for the end

55 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

My guess

Tyrion kills Danny like his brother the Kingslayer. 

Poison

Edited by ChickenSandwich

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The whole story is about the corruption of good men and women. 

Stannis was corrupted by his lust for power. 

The Hound was corrupted by revenge.

Jaime was corrupted by the love for his sister.

Dany was corrupted by her lust for power.

Tyrion has been corrupted by his loyalty to his queen. 

Arya was almost corrupted by revenge. 

Jon Snow? Will he be corrupted by his loyalty to his queen?  

The characters that seem incorruptible usually end up murdered by the ones that are:  Ned Stark and Varys are good examples. 

That strikes me as simplistic and not at all accurate.   The Hound wasn't a good man corrupted by revenge.   If anything, he was a bad man redeemed by revenge.  Tyrion hadn't been corrupted by loyalty to the queen.  If anything, he was redeemed from a life of drunken waste by believing in this queen, and loyalty to her didn't stop him from freeing his brother in an attempt to prevent slaughter, so I don't see the corruption either.  Dany got the power she sought, and was corrupted, apparently, purely by heriditary insanity. 

Edited by Mojo Hand

2 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

That strikes me as simplistic and not at all accurate.   The Hound wasn't a good man corrupted by revenge.   If anything, he was a bad man redeemed by revenge.  Tyrion hadn't been corrupted by loyalty to the queen.  If anything, he was redeemed from a life of drunken waste by believing in this queen, and loyalty didn't stop him from freeing his brother in an attempt to prevent slaughter.  Dany got the power she sought, and was corrupted, apparently, purely by heriditary insanity. 

We’re going to have to agree to disagree but Tyrion selling out Varys was his crossing of the rubicon to the corrupted. 

The hound was a bad man because his older brother burned his face off as a child and he sought revenge ever since. 

Dany still hasn’t obtained the power she seeks, that’s why she felt it necessary to burn King’s Landing to the ground. 

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We’re going to have to agree to disagree but Tyrion selling out Varys was his crossing of the rubicon to the corrupted. 

The hound was a bad man because his older brother burned his face off as a child and he sought revenge ever since. 

Dany still hasn’t obtained the power she seeks, that’s why she felt it necessary to burn King’s Landing to the ground. 

To me Tyrion was just beign loyal to Dany, though he obviously had his doubts.  I knew he would turn Varys in. 

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

My problem with the show is the wild inconsistency.  For maybe four seasons, it had a fairly brilliant mixture of intelligent drama and gratuitous violence. 

For the last four, it has veered drunkenly between mediocre drama (either glacially slow or predictable, or both) and gratuitous violence.

I'm not big on this type of fantasy as a general proposition.  If the show had started out like it's finishing up, I never would have gotten into it, and I'd venture that few others would either.

Also less tits as there’s gotten to be more fighting and less fucking

• Like 1

Just now, Barry_McCokiner said:

To me Tyrion was just beign loyal to Dany,

And then he tried to compensate for his misplaced loyalty by freeing Jaime (not very loyal) to prevent the deaths of thousands of people.  Tyrion learned the hard way that ringing the bells wasn't going to stop Dany for burning the city to the ground. 

I never liked grey worm. Stupid face, tight clothes, kills people with a spear with a slash from the wooden end. Mopey. A spear is a liability in close combat and better for ranged.

A real KL army would have kept archers on rooftops and slaughtered the dickless army.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I watched every episode. When the bells rang and Dany was staring menacingly at the Red Keep, it made complete sense for her to fly over their and burn Cersei into a crisp. 

There is zero character anecdotal evidence that justifies her calculatingly, row by row, street by street, making sure not to miss a single area of King's Landing, murder innocent women and children. 

I don't have a problem with the actual result of Dany turning into The Mad Queen. How we got there is the biggest issue. 

This is where I'm at.  She's vengeful but not a bloodthirsty maniac willing to slaughter innocent civilians for the hell of it.  

A real KL army would have kept archers on rooftops and slaughtered the dickless army.

In relation to this, where did that giant explosion come from behind the gate? I just saw a fireball but no dragon hanging out back there. And I'm assuming this is why the archers did not attack ass the army advanced, they were surprised by the giant fireball

Yep, even in the title sequence they had to expand the time at winterfell and kings landing because there’s no other areas where the story exists any longer. They didn’t even do dragonstone, much like Cersei didn’t take dragonstone while it was vacated for the NK fight. 

But why take or destroy an enemy HQ island with your supposedly superior navy when you can just let them head back to it to plan their attack and muster at close range?

13 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I may not be remembering right but didn't Dany used to talk about how she wanted to "break the system or wheel" or something like that? Doesn't really explain killing innocent people but would be consistent with destroying King's Landing / Red Keep.

Also I think this storyline would've been classic GoT if it had been allowed to play out more slowly and in more detail. Unfortunately they're squeezing all of this into a few episodes, when previously it may have been over 2-3 seasons with a lot more intricacy. Just an unfortunate byproduct of the business side of the show and saving too much for the end

Her "break the wheel" talk that was a constant with her character was all about ending tyranny, so naturally how else does on accomplish that any other way besides burning a million people and ruling mercilessly solely by fear?

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

lol wut? The Hand to the Queen reporting a plot for treason to the Queen is the sign he's gone fully corrupted?  ok then.

6 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Listening to the dipshits on Inside the Episodes plants a hatred for them within my soul.  

So much this. It's the absolute fucking worst. Every episode they explain feelings and motivations of characters that were never actually shown during the episode.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The easiest layup in the history of television was having literally ANYONE kill Cersei. And they blew it. On purpose. 

I actually give them credit for taking an even that we've all been craving for years (Cersei's death), and marginalizing it by turning Khalesi into a monstrous Public Enemy No. 1....which, as has been well-established, we should have seen all along. 

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread