Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

One thing I guess kind of worth noting on Daenerys' heel turn.  After Rhaegal went down, she looked pissed riding around on Drogon.  She also looked pissed after Missandei got her bean lopped.

I joked about pissy Dany upthread, but for all the brutality she has committed in the past, justified or not, she never looked pissy like on those two occasions, at least that I can recall.  She has remained mostly calm and "regal" through the prior scenes.

Personally, I think she looked like a petulant little girl from Willie Wonka or something, but that might have been intended by Dolt & Dunce to presage the heel turn.

But I want the love, respect, and adoration of all the people in the seven kingdoms NOW!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Jaime was addicted to her so it informs all of his behaviors on the show.  He behaves like an addict all the way up to the end.

Except he didn’t behave like an addict for over a season. For an addict, it’s a fight stay sober constantly. Jaime didn’t show any conflict or struggle when leaving her to go North, or while he was North, or when he first decided to stay with Brienne. If he had been consistently wrestling with his choice to not go back to Cersei, it would’ve made him giving in to his addiction right at the end a lot more believable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Except he didn’t behave like an addict for over a season. For an addict, it’s a fight stay sober constantly. Jaime didn’t show any conflict or struggle when leaving her to go North, or while he was North, or when he first decided to stay with Brienne. If he had been consistently wrestling with his choice to not go back to Cersei, it would’ve made him giving in to his addiction right at the end a lot more believable.

You mean that whole 4 episodes?  He leaves his addiction to try and reform.  He's had enough, his addiction has asked him or made him fall over the line in the proverbial sand.  He's had enough.  He will be better with out this poison.  He performs well when he has work to do, a challenge in front of him, a distraction of epic proportions.  He even chooses health and happiness over his poison as it's sensible, logical, and good or him.  He's well intentioned.  He can do this, he'll just remain very far away from his poison and live his life.  Reboot his life, move on.... until he can't.  He hears about what may happen and all he can think about is saving his poison.  Saving his sister.  Saving his love.  Saving the only thing he's ever really wanted.... He's an addict and died exactly how he told Bronn he wanted to in season 5 -- in the arms of the woman he loves.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

You mean that whole 4 episodes?  He leaves his addiction to try and reform.  He's had enough, his addiction has asked him or made him fall over the line in the proverbial sand.  He's had enough.  He will be better with out this poison.  He performs well when he has work to do, a challenge in front of him, a distraction of epic proportions.  He even chooses health and happiness over his poison as it's sensible, logical, and good or him.  He's well intentioned.  He can do this, he'll just remain very far away from his poison and live his life.  Reboot his life, move on.... until he can't.  He hears about what may happen and all he can think about is saving his poison.  Saving his sister.  Saving his love.  Saving the only thing he's ever really wanted.... He's an addict and died exactly how he told Bronn he wanted to in season 5 -- in the arms of the woman he loves.  

Yeah, it’s fine and all. I’m not saying it was some crazy plot twist, but showing literally any difficulty in making his decisions would’ve really improved that storyline. Jaime going back to Cersei is so far down the list of blunders this season that it’s not much of a complaint for me.

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

^^^^ the worst. that's what these posts are. the absolute worst. you add nothing to the thread *and* you're literally whining and bitching about whining and bitching. if the writing has fallen off and the characters are no longer behaving they way they've behaved the entire series then people are entitled to complain. this is not a safe space for people who can't handle anyone criticizing a TV show that they like. Go start a NO COMPLAINING AT ALL GoT thread if you need to, but the incessant whinging because others are critical of the show is just. the. worst. 

Will all the people whining and bitching about whining and bitching about whining and bitching just stop it.

5 hours ago, Slade said:

Cersei when Qyburn got his wig split:

GxjU8xv.gif

She quickly and quietly dipped out. That shit was pretty funny. 

much better Cersei-death would have been the Hound just nonchalantly shanking her as she walked by. Don't even bother to look at her. No fuss, no drama, no bullshit with Jamie, no whining about not wanting to die.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

^^^^ the worst. that's what these posts are. the absolute worst. you add nothing to the thread *and* you're literally whining and bitching about whining and bitching. if the writing has fallen off and the characters are no longer behaving they way they've behaved the entire series then people are entitled to complain. this is not a safe space for people who can't handle anyone criticizing a TV show that they like. Go start a NO COMPLAINING AT ALL GoT thread if you need to, but the incessant whinging because others are critical of the show is just. the. worst. 

And... Derka'd!

10 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Have to give another nod to Ramin Djawadi for the music. I particularly liked the use a very low and menacing version of the the Jon/Dany love theme when the armies were landing on the beaches of King's Landing. This was obviously after Varys' execution and Jon's rebuke of Dany so clearly it was a sign of that love disintegrating.

For comparison:

Y'all should check out the bookfags thread if you haven't.  There's no spoilers.  They've had no idea what's going on for roughly 3 seasons now.  They're just unnecessarily smug about it.  There's one episode left and Lady Stoneheart ain't coming.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

I was watching a recap on Youtube and this would have been the undisputed greatest show of all time had the fat man finished the books.  Up until the Viper and the Mountain fight, this show was perfect TV. I still love the show, but it's a shell of its former self.  Reminds me of how far Lost fell after season 3.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I was watching a recap on Youtube and this would have been the undisputed greatest show of all time had the fat man finished the books.  Up until the Viper and the Mountain fight, this show was perfect TV. I still love the show, but it's a shell of its former self.  Reminds me of how far Lost fell after season 3.  

RNTgA

Even if this finished as well as it started the first four seasons, I still don't think this would've been the greatest show of all time, much less undisputed. This isn't even the best HBO show IMO.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

RNTgA

Even if this finished as well as it started the first four seasons, I still don't think this would've been the greatest show of all time, much less undisputed. This isn't even the best HBO show IMO.

looking back on it, john from cincinnati was really really really good.

What's the over/under Bran doesn't even make an appearance in the final episode - just a giant middle finger from two of the worst writers in modern television.

Or if he does, he worgs into Drogon, taking him from Danny to "live out his days" up north, or some nonsense like that.

16 hours ago, BERT said:

Will the ones bitching just admit y'all wouldn't have been happy with this season no matter how it turned out? Good god y'all will whine about anything. 

Not shocking since this is a football board for UT.  Your first sentence defines a substantial number of our fans.

15 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Were they going to last long outside the walls?

Evidently a time-honored strategy in Westeros. Place the soldiers in front of the barriers instead of behind them. It's right up there with slowly commanding your archers to release in unison instead of letting them fire more rapidly at will.

The Romans would have walked through Westeros in a week.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

no independent or abstract thought at all!

I laughed

16 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Oh shut up. That's all you do is add nothing and then get pissy, but yet you're always right. Irony at it's best

And i don't care that y'all complain but i'm reading the same complaints over and over again. Y'all knew it wouldn't be the same cause GRRM didn't write this shit. It's too bad they don't have the time to do everything right. We all knew they were being rushed to finish this. The show is still entertaining. 

14 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea it’s crazy for people who have infested 70+ hours of their lives into a show to expect it to continue operating at the same quality level.

Yeah i get it, i binged watched the last few seasons to catch up. Maybe it's because i binged watched it that i don't have a strong opinion about it like y'all do?

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Where my black nerd fix?

https://blacknerdproblems.com/game-of-thrones-recap-the-bells/

Meanwhile, D&D just setting fire to everything man. We talkin’ soldiers, civilians, small businesses, the spa. Don’t matter. Everybody is getting an early exit. Northerners killing mothers trying to shield their children. Meanwhile, Not-Jon and Tyrion seeing if they can get expressed shipping on their Varys Was Right shirts.

31 minutes ago, MoJames said:

NSIAP, but the reunion no one is talking about from the last episode.

Reveal hidden contents

LN3O4vGEf5qedxyr6dzBC4hIOnXCcn7DTcRmVdLv

The part of the show where my wife is getting spun up by me rolling my eyes towards a five foot nothing girl that has had 18 buildings fall on top of her getting up and galloping off on a bareback horse 14-15 hands tall...

16 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

But you just said it was your favorite episode? You must really hate Varys.

Varys had to spell it out because Jon Snow is an idiot.  Varys no doubt knew what Jon Snow would say at that moment and probably calculated Tyrion betraying him.  So, in a way, Varys did pour gasoline all over himself and let Tyrion light the match.  King’s Landing was doomed at that point but Varys making such a dramatic statement was the only way to save the realm from the Tyranny of Dany. 

Tyrion knew what he did was wrong and tried to convince himself that ringing the bells would hold off Dany... wrong again.  I will be surprised if Tyrion survives the next episode.

23 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Varys had to spell it out because Jon Snow is an idiot.  Varys no doubt knew what Jon Snow would say at that moment and probably calculated Tyrion betraying him.  So, in a way, Varys did pour gasoline all over himself and let Tyrion light the match.  King’s Landing was doomed at that point but Varys making such a dramatic statement was the only way to save the realm from the Tyranny of Dany. 

Tyrion knew what he did was wrong and tried to convince himself that ringing the bells would hold off Dany... wrong again.  I will be surprised if Tyrion survives the next episode.

So I think you are either saying without Varys acting completely out of character and getting lazy to be caught that

a) Jon Snow has a different response when Dany kills everyone

b) or, Dany doesn't kill everyone

Am I wrong?

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

So I think you are either saying without Varys acting completely out of character and getting lazy to be caught that

a) Jon Snow has a different response when Dany kills everyone

b) or, Dany doesn't kill everyone

Am I wrong?

Varys needed to break the spell that Dany has over Jon Snow.   If Varys doesn’t give him an out that he later comes to regret then he would have likely remained loyal to Dany and she would no doubt kill him anyway to keep her throne.  

Varys never expected Jon to join him because Tyrion would have ratted them both out.  Dany was already wishful thinking it was Jon who betrayed her. 

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Varys needed to break the spell that Dany has over Jon Snow.   If Varys doesn’t give him an out that he later comes to regret then he would have likely remained loyal to Dany and she would no doubt kill him anyway to keep her throne.  

Varys never expected Jon to join him because Tyrion would have ratted them both out.  Dany was already wishful thinking it was Jon who betrayed her. 

Ok a couple things. Dany made it absolutely clear that she feels Jon betrayed her by telling her sister. I was never under the impression during the last episode that Varys was shifting Jon at all, outside of maybe his death where Jon gives Dany a glance.

Past that, I have no doubt that without the Varys betrayal and death, the story reads fine with Jon only needing to see Dany go shitbat crazy on KL to switch teams.

His death was pointless in Jon's arc in my opinion. If anything, it was more of a tool to let you know Dany has gone shitbat.

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Ok a couple things. Dany made it absolutely clear that she feels Jon betrayed her by telling her sister. I was never under the impression during the last episode that Varys was shifting Jon at all, outside of maybe his death where Jon gives Dany a glance.

Past that, I have no doubt that without the Varys betrayal and death, the story reads fine with Jon only needing to see Dany go shitbat crazy on KL to switch teams.

His death was pointless in Jon's arc in my opinion. If anything, it was more of a tool to let you know Dany has gone shitbat.

that's where it kind of fell flat, though. it's not shitbat to execute a traitor. 

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread