Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

it was absolutely fucking horrible writing.  as has been the case pretty much all of the final 2 seasons.  was season 6 the end of the books?  because it's been dog shit since cersei blew up the sept.

Ooooooh......the “bad writing” card. Get the fuck over yourself. That was A+ entertainment and if anyone didn’t enjyit they should give the fuck up on life.
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

it was absolutely fucking horrible writing.  as has been the case pretty much all of the final 2 seasons.  was season 6 the end of the books?  because it's been dog shit since cersei blew up the sept.

What was horrible about it? This has been building since the beginning of the series. It has nothing to do with the books not being finished.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

That was the cleverness of GRRM's troll.  He makes the audience like and root for Dany for years, even though it's been in plain sight all along that she wasn't exactly the classic hero. 

He makes you root for her while she's doing things that are blatantly manipulative, ruthless, and brutal - and which cause widespread death and destruction - just because she's doing it to the people you don't like and not to the Starks. 

He makes you root for her to take the throne because it's her birthright - even though it's not,  and it was clear it wasn't really from Season 1 when she ok'd her husband murdering her older brother who was ahead of her in succession - because again her brother was a douche. 

He makes you like her calling card of making everyone literally bend the knee and recite her million titles whenever they address her, even though it's a blatantly obnoxious habit you'd expect to see from an ego-maniacal despot in any other story.

But now the person with a better claim to the throne is someone we like, and suddenly her trumped up "birthright" claim doesn't seem so cool.  And now she's wrecking King's Landing instead of a slave city.  And now the people that undermine her conquering her way to the throne are characters we know and like instead of Son of the Harpy behind a mask.  That changes everything.

Well done, GRRM.

100% this.  This turn has been set up from the beginning of Dany’s arc.  Anyone saying it’s “lazy writing” hasn’t been paying attention.  It has been a pretty intricate setup all along.  

• Like 3

the first time around -  they had the element of surprise and she took off running. in shock of losing the second dragon 
second time around - everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. when she started taking out ships, prepping / loading / positioning / aiming that weapon (and ship) becomes very difficult 

sure

11 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

She was never the heroine of the story.  She’s always been a wild card.  She has been pretty brutal many times throughout the series.  The signs have always been there.  There has been one hero through whole thing, Jon Snow.  

She hasn’t murdered thousands of innocents.

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

the first time around -  they had the element of surprise and she took off running. in shock of losing the second dragon 

second time around - everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. when she started taking out ships, prepping / loading / positioning / aiming that weapon (and ship) becomes very difficult 

It's just really bad storytelling. And anticlimactic. 

There literally wasn't one thrilling moment in the entire episode. 

• Like 2

The whole character arc of Jaime was utterly pointless, only outdone in its idiocy by Euron’s.

Very convenient that he happened to wash ashore at the exact right place and time for Jaime to walk by.

Last week the ballistas were unstoppable killing machines, this week they were utterly useless. Consistent!

So many other dumb things, but whatever

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Entertaining to watch, but for Dany to do that in such violent fashion really has little to no justification based on what we've seen in the show from her character and from recent events.

She burns people who betray her. Fine. She burns people in the way of her getting the Iron Throne. Sure. But indiscriminately burning the city and murdering its people?  All because she was betrayed by Varys (and by proxy Sansa, Tyrion and Jon), and Missandei died?

I personally think it fits her character. She's had her eyes set on the Iron Throne since the first season and she's surrounded herself with people who were extremely loyal to her and supported that goal. She lost Jorah at Winterfell and lost Missandei last episode. She's doubted Tyrion for a while and now she knows he was used to spread a truth that undermines her goal of the throne. She loves Jon but he is now hesitant to return that love, acknowledging her as his queen but no longer returning her affection. She knows Sansa and Arya are against her. and she's paranoid they will flip Jon against her.

On top of all of that, she watched the people in the north give credit to Jon but not to her. She has come to realize she is a foreigner in Westeros with very little support, and even though she's finally on the verge of winning the Iron Throne, she feels completely rejected by everyone around her. As she is winning control of King's Landing, she flips and decides hell with it, burn them all.

If people won't love her then they can fear her. This is the path she's been on since she allowed Khal Drogo to kill her brother.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gurt said:

The whole character arc of Jaime was utterly pointless, only outdone in its idiocy by Euron’s.

The only bad part of Jaime's character arc was his hookup with Brienne last week. Otherwise he's always been addicted to Cersei. One of the great things about GoT is that it doesn't have purely good or purely bad characters. Lots of characters straddle that line and Jaime has done it almost more than anyone, except possibly Theon. I think a lot of people felt Jaime's character arc required an upward trajectory of redemption, but in the end, Jaime is the same guy he's always been. He went to help at Winterfell because he honestly feared the NK and the army of the dead, but that never meant he was over Cersei. As soon as his work up north was done, he went right back to her.

What else would people want for his character? Magically run away with Brienne and live a happy life? gtfo.

Edited by wild_turkey
  • Like 2

Fantastic episode. Best of the season by a long shot. Anyone who couldn’t enjoy that is a miserable fuck. We all knew Mad queen Dany was coming and she didn’t disappoint. I enjoyed the scene when Grey Worm turned to look at Jon Snow when he told the Northerners to stop attacking when the unsullied attacked the Kings Landing army after they dropped their swords. 

Wished Cersei had a more miserable death like someone cutting out her fetus while she was still alive and showing it to her and then slitting her throat, but whatever, I’ll take it.  

Kings Landing being in ashes was prophecied in a dream or some shit like 3-4 seasons ago.  This was expected.  Can’t wait to see the Dany vs Jon confrontation next week.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

So I guess Bronn is really up shit creek.

Bronn's involvement in this last season might be the most disappointing thing of all. He was my favorite character. This season they just used him to drum up false suspense with no resolution, and his character is completely inconsequential.

8 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

On top of all of that, she watched the people in the north give credit to Jon but not to her. She has come to realize she is a foreigner in Westeros with very little support, and even though she's finally on the verge of winning the Iron Throne, she feels completely rejected by everyone around her. As she is winning control of King's Landing, she flips and decides hell with it, burn them all.

If people won't love her then they can fear her. This is the path she's been on since she allowed Khal Drogo to kill her brother.

Fair point.  She realized she couldn't rule Westeros except by striking fear in the people, as she said to Jon when he pulled away from her.  But the level of violence is still pretty jarring.

Edited by LonghornSean

I find it hilarious the tech dropout above is complaining of horrible writing. Dumbfuck wouldn’t know what good writing was if it slapped him in the face. Show was entertaining as fuck. What more can you ask for? Dialogue in a show that was entirely dedicated to a cataclysmic buttfucking of kings landing?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Bronn's involvement in this last season might be the most disappointing thing of all. He was my favorite character. This season they just used him to drum up false suspense with no resolution, and his character is completely inconsequential.
Theres still time for bronn to take over the iron throne

Just now, Fat Bastard said:

I find it hilarious the tech dropout above is complaining of horrible writing. Dumbfuck wouldn’t know what good writing was if it slapped him in the face. Show was entertaining as fuck. What more can you ask for? Dialogue in a show that was entirely dedicated to a cataclysmic buttfucking of kings landing?

Maybe characters that make sense. Seems simple enough.

2 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Except that he brought Cersei an army and a navy and killed a dragon which set up the whole part of the story that we just watched.   

None of that mattered in the slightest. One dragon wiped out all of that in 10 minutes and the killing of Rhaegal was some Walking Dead level TV. The show is a soap opera now with great special effects.

• Like 2

It's just really bad storytelling. And anticlimactic. 
There literally wasn't one thrilling moment in the entire episode. 

Yeah, once you saw the fleet and ballistas fail, then you see the Golden Army standing outside the gates (bold strategy), the battle was over. You then just have to see how crazy Daenarys is going to go. I was waiting for more and never got it.

I just got new character osmosis for Arya, who experienced firsthand the wrath of Daenerys. Nevermind she’s a ninja and knew the back way out. We got 10 minutes of her running and crying? Why? So she turns her anger at the Lannisters for killing her parents to redemption by stopping the Mad Queen.
  • Like 2

Just now, maninblack said:

None of that mattered in the slightest. One dragon wiped out all of that in 10 minutes and the killing of Rhaegal was some Walking Dead level TV. The show is a soap opera now with great special effects.

Without him, Cersei would have abandoned King’s Landing and there would have been no battle, no heel turn, no conflict.  Sounds like a fun show.  

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

"Filler" episodes provide character development, which this season sorely missed. 

We have seven seasons of development.  Time for resolution.   If you don’t like the resolution, that’s fair, but don’t call it lazy or wrong.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
17 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Theres still time for bronn to take over the iron throne

They'll spend a month sifting through rubble, and by the time they figure out what went wrong, Bronn will be sitting on a throne in Highgarden, earning twenty percent ...

• Haha 1

you guys can bitch and moan about bronn, jaime, and other characters that got royally fucked around the last couple seasons, but allow me to place my vote for tyrion.

what the fucking fuck?  he went from one of the great characters in modern dramatic television history to a mopey, whiny little shit who sucks at his job.

let's recap his role for the night:

whine to dany over something he screwed up.  mention the bells.  mention the bells.  mention the bells again.  try for the 9th time to convince someone to do something, usually a family member, and then have them not to do for the 9th time.  mention the bells again.  get someplace high so that you can see the battle.  instead of mentioning the bells, stare longingly at the bells.  then disappear for the length of the veep finale.

there are a lot of ways to give this show a proper happy ending.  there are a lot of ways to give this show a proper, twisty, mustache twirl evil ending.  i feel like we're on a collision course with neither.  see everyone in a week.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

you guys can bitch and moan about bronn, jaime, and other characters that got royally fucked around the last couple seasons, but allow me to place my vote for tyrion.

what the fucking fuck?  he went from one of the great characters in modern dramatic television history to a mopey, whiny little shit who sucks at his job.

whine to dany over something he screwed up.  mention the bells.  mention the bells.  mention the bells again.  try for the 9th time to convince someone to do something, usually a family member, and then have them not to do for the 9th time.  mention the bells again.  get someplace high so that you can see the battle.  instead of mentioning the bells, stare longingly at the bells.  then disappear for the length of the veep finale.

there are a lot of ways to give this show a proper happy ending.  there are a lot of ways to give this show a proper, twisty, mustache twirl evil ending.  i feel like we're on a collision course with neither.  see everyone in a week.

Save for the Battle of Blackwater Bay, Tyrion has fucked up every move he’s made as Hand to two monarchs. He’s not as smart as he thinks he is. And Dany said it herself last week, he’s not the only clever one. 

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Yeah... still waiting for Jorah’s “give him 1 more chance” speech to pay off. 

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The easiest layup in the history of television was having literally ANYONE killing Cersei. And they blew it. On purpose. 

Technically, Dany did kill her.  And she was reduced to blubbering for her own life after watching her bluster and bravado burn and crumble around her.  It was a pretty hard fall for her character.  It wasn’t as satisfying as watching her struggle for air and turning purple or seeing her being eaten by starved dogs, but it’ll do.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

Her death, or lack of theatrics of it, is my only gripe. Hell, Clegane could’ve just knifed her in the ribs as she casually walked past him

This episode will go down as one of the biggest disappointments in scripted television history. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread