Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

It is shocking to me how badly these guys, D&D, are shitting the bed.  I went from "This is my favorite show of all time I can barely stand the wait between the end of season 7 to the start of season 8" to thinking these dudes should not work in the industry again in the span of a month.

Some of the shit in 8.3 and 8.4 are just so unbelievably stupid its hard to see how they made it into a draft let alone to the fucking screen.  HBO should redo the final season.  I never thought I'd say this, considering book 5 came out during the first season of the show and we're still waiting on book 6, but maybe this shit show will finally light a fire under GRRM and he'll get another book out before he dies.

I mean this 100%, I'm convinced they could have crowdsourced a far smarter and satisfying final season from hipster dorks on Reddit than what they are putting out so far.

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I'm getting to the point where I am going to stop reading this thread.  The bitching and whining about the deteriorating quality of season 8 is starting to grind my gears.  I still very much enjoy this show.  Coming here is starting to compromise my enjoyment.  Maybe I'll check back in after it's over.

I wonder if this is how he approaches basketball season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I'm getting to the point where I am going to stop reading this thread.  The bitching and whining about the deteriorating quality of season 8 is starting to grind my gears.  I still very much enjoy this show.  Coming here is starting to compromise my enjoyment.  Maybe I'll check back in after it's over.

god_damn_right_breaking_bad.gif

26 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I saw where GOT was the first audition for the actor that plays Sam.  That guy kills his role.

There is some really top notch acting on this show. Some that have stood out to me are Theon (Alfie Allen), Cersei (Lena Headey), Jamie (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau), Qyburn (Anton Lesser), the Hound (Rory McCann), and Mellisandre (Carice van Houten because reasons).

Edited by elguapo

15 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I actually like the show and look forward to every Sunday night

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

scene kicks ass.. when jon starts breathing hard.. goosebumps. prolly seen it 50 times already

One of the most impactful lines of the entire series.

"You gave up your crown to save your people.  Would she do the same?"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I saw where GOT was the first audition for the actor that plays Sam.  That guy kills his role.

I'd seen him as Giovanni de Medici in Borgia, so I assumed that was his first role, but they both came out in 2011 so I guess he auditioned for GoT first.

5 hours ago, Hozz said:

It is shocking to me how badly these guys, D&D, are shitting the bed.  I went from "This is my favorite show of all time I can barely stand the wait between the end of season 7 to the start of season 8" to thinking these dudes should not work in the industry again in the span of a month.

The show has been getting bad for some time now, long before this season. Remember the whole “let’s go capture a zombie” episode from last year? That was a foreshadowing of how bad the writing was going to be this season.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I agree some folks are being too harsh.  For me, Ep 1 was basically what I expected, 2 and 4 were subpar but not unwatchable, and 3 was very good.  So on balance, I'd say it's been okay.  And people are judging an unfinished season.  I have high hopes for the last two episodes.  We'll see.

Who are her people. The north are Jon's kin, as far as he knew. Who in westeros does Dany give a fuck about to save? She just wants the throne.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I agree some folks are being too harsh.  For me, Ep 1 was basically what I expected, 2 and 4 were subpar but not unwatchable, and 3 was very good.  So on balance, I'd say it's been okay.  And people are judging an unfinished season.  I have high hopes for the last two episodes.  We'll see.

I liked them all, 4 wasn't bad.  Yeah, Dany's a dumbass, long been established no?

6 hours ago, PilotsError said:
11 hours ago, Augustus said:

Who are her people. The north are Jon's kin, as far as he knew. Who in westeros does Dany give a fuck about to save? She just wants the throne.

For 7 seasons Dany has said she wants to be a ruler of the people. To save people from tyrants and such. Her people are everyone. She freed slaves and then stayed around to make sure they stayed free. She freed the Unsully from their tyrant. She asked them to follow her. She didn’t demand it. She believes her destiny is to sit on the iron Throne, yes, but also to free the people from the Tyrant who currently sits upon it. 

So that question is her ultimate question and her decision will be the conclusion of her character. What was this really about? Getting the crown or helping the people? 

So kind of big deal. 

The big dragon is Dany, the little ones are her 3 dragons and the comet is the comet from s2 that some believe marked the rebirth of dragons. The original opening told the story of Robert's rebellion, the s8 opening just shows some of the more important events from the show. I wouldn't look too much deeper than that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

I kind of wonder if the outcome is that Dany decides to leave Westeros to Jon and heads back east to rule her Essos cities.

She's loved there, and she hasn't looked at home in the West.

This makes a fair amount of sense. If she isn't killed, maybe she pulls out a few eggs and goes off the raise baby dragons - her true children. I still say Tyrion and Sansa rule the roost. The midget gets the girl. Jon the rebel survives but leaves to conquer new worlds. Jaime is a mess for having killed his sister and his kid. He takes off alone into the wilds, but not far behind will be Brienne, who also survives. Arya and the Hound leave together, also to explore new worlds. Perhaps Jon joins them. That would be a satisfying ending, assuming he can manage a cute comeback to one of the Hound's one-liners.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

8 minutes ago, seven said:

The big dragon is Dany, the little ones are her 3 dragons and the comet is the comet from s2 that some believe marked the rebirth of dragons. The original opening told the story of Robert's rebellion, the s8 opening just shows some of the more important events from the show. I wouldn't look too much deeper than that. 

Speaking of the comet, I was reading world history to my kids last week and it said that Haley’s comet passed by right before the battle of Hastings, and that the people thought it was a sign. Really grounded the whole show in reality for me. 

33 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

This makes a fair amount of sense. If she isn't killed, maybe she pulls out a few eggs and goes off the raise baby dragons - her true children. I still say Tyrion and Sansa rule the roost. The midget gets the girl. Jon the rebel survives but leaves to conquer new worlds. Jaime is a mess for having killed his sister and his kid. He takes off alone into the wilds, but not far behind will be Brienne, who also survives. Arya and the Hound leave together, also to explore new worlds. Perhaps Jon joins them. That would be a satisfying ending, assuming he can manage a cute comeback to one of the Hound's one-liners.

what if Sansa and Tyrion rule the south and Jon takes the north?  Could be a neat little ending.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pods said:

original.gif

we're a long way away from that show now. from Jon and Dany's merrily frolicking around on dragons to the way that all of our main characters are still alive, at this point i'll be shocked if "good" doesn't win vs "evil", never mind that what made this show great was that the entire concept of "good vs evil" in this universe didn't exist until recently. everyone has both good and bad about them, and when your number gets called it gets called. that was the formula. now it's the good guys vs the bad guys, and i'm 100% expecting an ending that betrays the foundation of the show. 

Just now, Goo Punch said:

we're a long way away from that show now. from Jon and Dany's merrily frolicking around on dragons to the way that all of our main characters are still alive, at this point i'll be shocked if "good" doesn't win vs "evil", never mind that what made this show great was that the entire concept of "good vs evil" in this universe didn't exist until recently. everyone has both good and bad about them, and when your number gets called it gets called. that was the formula. now it's the good guys vs the bad guys, and i'm 100% expecting an ending that betrays the foundation of the show. 

Yes, indeed.

The incomprehensible amount of work he put in creating this world and thousands of years of its history, and the endless characters/houses that populate that world notwithstanding, the greatness of this work was the more realistic depiction of the heroes and villains.

The Founding Fathers owned slaves, Gandhi was sexist if not misogynist, Churchill's attitudes toward India and it's people was pretty disappointing, Martin Luther King hated puppies (possibly), and on and on.  

Real people are capable of heroic and awful deeds, and this show emphasized that.

6 hours ago, GottaB said:

78b4d7f21562c0abdd776bea3d77681c.jpg

Hmmm.

Callback to a past GRRM talk with his publisher that he had a novel in the works highlighted by three things. Birth of dragons, a threat of a supernatural being and a feud between two families

There has been a pretty bright line drawn between the good side and the bad side throughout the series.  Lannisters vs. Starks.   Individuals and some families have moved back and forth across that line, but that line hasn’t really moved.  Good has lost a lot in this series because good is dumb.  Just because good has taken it in the shorts over and over again in this series doesn’t mean that having them finally win the big one is a betrayal of the overall tone and theme of the series.

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread