Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

4 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

I'm thinking of going back and re-watching it from the beginning so I can enjoy it one more time before these last few episodes ruin it forever.

I don't follow online threads except for this one and the bookfags one, (having also read the books), so I'm not too worried about spoilering it.

The Kong's Island and Starbuck's scenes are pretty disappointing.

I've been doing this over the past month or so, the first 4 seasons are some of the greatest TV ever made.

Dany and Grey Worm have killed Sons of the Harpy people in Essos during negotiations/parleys, Cersei blew up the sept with all the Sparrows and half the nobility of Westeros, the Red Wedding occurred at a place when everyone was supposed to be off limits, and so on and so forth.  
Really anyone except Brienne and maybe Jon, but especially Cersei, suddenly feeling honor-bound by the rules of parley is absurd on its face.  And as you point out, it’s even more ridiculous considering they killed Missandei at the parley anyway.  

They parlayed during the zombie exhibition OK. You could make the stronger argument about this last parlay if Cersei hadn’t sent Bronn to assassinate her brothers. Then you could make the argument that Cersei had different plans for Tyrion than shooting him during the parlay.

• Like 1

Image from next episode. Snow's army at the gates. I'm trying to figure his strategy here. Is he going to attempt the Night King's "Tsunami Steamroll" on King's Landing, only with live and far fewer bodies? Maybe they should wait until a midnight blizzard rolls in.

5-courtesy-of-hbo.jpg

44 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I just watched last night and haven't read all of the posts here yet, but I've read enough to see that "you don't kill people at a parley, and not even Cersei would violate that sacred protocol" is an oft-cited explanation for why Tyrion (and everyone else of note) didn't take a scorpion bolt through the thorax. 

If that explanation for this particularly glaring failure by the writers holds any water whatsoever, can someone please explain why was Missandei beheaded? 

I think the explanation is that Cersei doesn't merely want Tyrion to die; she wants to kill him in a satisfying or sadistic way.   E.g., killed with the same crossbow he used for his father (as she told Bronn to do), or captured and tortured in some other fashion. Like how she killed the "shame" lady, or Ellaria and Tyene Sand.   It's pretty in-character, IMO.   I mean, it was clear that Tyrion was taking a big risk and she almost had him killed.   Everyone held their breath and Cersei thought hard about it.   But he was betting that her sadistic narcissism would hold her back from giving him such a quick death, and I buy that. 

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

I think the explanation is that Cercei doesn't merely want Tyrion to die; she wants to kill him in a satisfying or sadistic way.   E.g., killed with the same crossbow he used for his father (as she told Bronn to do), or captured and tortured in some other fashion. Like how she killed the "shame" lady, or Ellaria and Tyene Sand.   It's pretty in-character, IMO.   I mean, it was clear that Tyrion was taking a big risk and she almost had him killed.   Everyone held their breath and Cercei thought hard about it.   But he was betting that her sadistic narcissism would hold her back from giving him such a quick death, and I buy that. 

And the rest of the people behind him that could've be destroyed by railgun ballistas and archers and ended the immediate threat to her rule?

Just now, krevo said:

And the rest of the people behind him that could've be destroyed by railgun ballistas and archers and ended the immediate threat to her rule?

The show established that they were out of range.  Which is why everyone got tense when Tyrion approached closely and the archers picked up their bows.    The railgun ballistas are antiaircraft and cannot necessarily shoot objects on the ground from above. 

13 minutes ago, krevo said:

There were like 4 other scenes that made absolutely no sense to me and that was definitely one of them.  Of any character that would violate that sacred protocol (blowing up innocent people at a religious trial) it would be Cersei.  There's no getting around why she didn't shoot them or at least kill Tyrion.  If that wasn't in the plans - skip that whole bullshit scene and find another way to let Dany know that her personal assistant is dead.

That was all very weird, of course, but I can suspend enough belief that Dany's army was parked just beyond the reach of Cersei's capability even if the camera certainly doesn't show that. However, not killing Tyrion was odd. She loathes him. If that had been Jaime OTOH, I could see her not being able to go through with it. A potential workaround would be Cersei riding out herself to parley with Tyrion. At least that would show that she couldn't order Tyrion dead without reprisal from those that rode up with him.

I've enjoyed the series to this point but I'm ready for it to finally end. This isn't particularly my genre and I didn't start watching until it was already in the second or third season. I think I caught up to real-time sometime during Season 4.

Just now, longhornmatt said:

They shot the other ships in the naval battle while also being able to shoot up at the dragons.  I don’t think it’s clear they can’t shoot ground targets or adjust their firing angle.

It's not clear that they can't, but it's nitpicking to assume they can, and that the group was within the range at which they could do it.   The ship-mounted ones shot at the same level; the ones mounted on top of the wall would have had to shoot downward.   And the relative distances were unclear. 

What the weapon did during that battle was absurd and completely worthy of scorn.    Quibbling with whether the parlay party was within range or not is a stretch.  Did they really need an aide to say "We should stop here, your grace, as we are out of range of their weapons"?    It was established by the context. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Image from next episode. Snow's army at the gates. I'm trying to figure his strategy here. Is he going to attempt the Night King's "Tsunami Steamroll" on King's Landing, only with live and far fewer bodies? Maybe they should wait until a midnight blizzard rolls in.

5-courtesy-of-hbo.jpg

I mean, I know nothing makes sense anymore, but if this is the next episode, then why the fuck was it so important for Dany to roll down ahead of Jon? 

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Dany and Grey Worm have killed Sons of the Harpy people in Essos during negotiations/parleys, Cersei blew up the sept with all the Sparrows and half the nobility of Westeros, the Red Wedding occurred at a place when everyone was supposed to be off limits, and so on and so forth.  

Really anyone except Brienne and maybe Jon, but especially Cersei, suddenly feeling honor-bound by the rules of parley is absurd on its face.  And as you point out, it’s even more ridiculous considering they killed Missandei at the parley anyway.  

27 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

this is a woman who blew up the cept and thousands of innocent people.  she doesn't give a fuck about decorum. she's handed a gift to end the war and instead decides to chop off the head of some nameless stranger.  nothing anyone has done or is doing this season makes any sense to anyone, not even the writers.

50 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I just watched last night and haven't read all of the posts here yet, but I've read enough to see that "you don't kill people at a parley, and not even Cersei would violate that sacred protocol" is an oft-cited explanation for why Tyrion (and everyone else of note) didn't take a scorpion bolt through the thorax. 

If that explanation for this particularly glaring failure by the writers holds any water whatsoever, can someone please explain why was Missandei beheaded? 

Maybe cause I’ve been reading a ton of last kingdom books but I think parley is different from what y’all are associating it with. First off, I liked the episode so I’m not trying to defend it too much. It seems everyone but me hated it, cool. Y’all do make good and reasonable points. The show has gone down hill plot/writing wise but it’s always been a “popcorn movie” of a show for me so I guess I’m just watching for shits and giggles. 

With that said, in re: to parley, business negotiations/deals aren’t as “sacred” as parley. Business deals do go South and people died a lot in their universe/our medieval times. But Parley is two opposing armies/groups calling timeout to insult and maybe talk it out, but mostly to size each other up before the (almost always assured) killing starts. But you can’t do that from a distance so you truce it out so you can get next to each other w/o fear of dying (for the most part). Was sons of the harpy the unsullied owners? I Forget right now.

blowing up the sept isn’t really anti-decorum strictly speaking. As far as I know, there wasn’t or isn’t a truce in religious buildings in their world. And even in our medieval England, you had to give a shit about that religion for it to matter, ie vikings killed a lot of people in churches. Like bronn said, kill enough and you get to made into a king. 

The red wedding is the only real custom/decorum that got violated (that I can think of off the top of my head) and the consequences were extremely dire (not Too bookfag but some Freys get made into a pie and on the show I think we are to believe that Arya killed off every single male Frey).  

As for missandei, killing hostages was done but usually right after the parley or before but only if your side had killed hostages as well. And in that case seems that usually one side starts the offer of parley with “ok you killed ours we killed yours, let’s talk”. And really you could argue missandei died after it was technically over. You could also argue the other way too, for sure. But qyburn said surrender or she dies. Tyrion counteroffered, Cersei said nope. End of parley, here take her head back. Or alternatively, for all we know, killing missandei was breaking parley so now decorum karma will fuck over Cersei.

So I agree plenty of wtf stuff and shit writing all around but in my humble opinion, the parley in ep4 is way down on the list of crap writing in the show since it mostly fits with a number of other portrayals I’ve read about/seen. Even in our word, waving a white flag in order to talk seems to be respected for the most part. Not saying it has a perfect record but I thought most people would be okay with that. Guess not. 

19 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I think the explanation is that Cersei doesn't merely want Tyrion to die; she wants to kill him in a satisfying or sadistic way.   E.g., killed with the same crossbow he used for his father (as she told Bronn to do), or captured and tortured in some other fashion. Like how she killed the "shame" lady, or Ellaria and Tyene Sand.   It's pretty in-character, IMO.   I mean, it was clear that Tyrion was taking a big risk and she almost had him killed.   Everyone held their breath and Cersei thought hard about it.   But he was betting that her sadistic narcissism would hold her back from giving him such a quick death, and I buy that. 

That’s a good point too. Better reasoning than mine.

24 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

It's not clear that they can't, but it's nitpicking to assume they can, and that the group was within the range at which they could do it.   The ship-mounted ones shot at the same level; the ones mounted on top of the wall would have had to shoot downward.   And the relative distances were unclear. 

What the weapon did during that battle was absurd and completely worthy of scorn.    Quibbling with whether the parlay party was within range or not is a stretch.  Did they really need an aide to say "We should stop here, your grace, as we are out of range of their weapons"?    It was established by the context. 

Nitpicking? Nah, not really.  The whole scene felt weird.  Rhaegal was just picked off by those weapons from a bobbing ship half a mile away, and now Dany has her last surviving dragon parked on the frigging ground, stationary, at a distance that appears to be WELL within range based on the Rhaegal surprise attack. If Dumb and Dumber's intentions were for Dany's army to be safely out of range, they failed miserably to show it.

Most say Cersei is ruthless, cunning, but loves her children.  I call BS.  she only "loves" her children because she gets reflected glory.  Witness the "Tommen betrayed me," line when he committed suicide.

She's not particularly cunning.  Most of her schemes go badly.  For example giving the high sparrow so much power. Sending Jamie to Dorne to fetch her daughter back home.  Sending Bron to kill Jamie and Tyrion (wtf did she expect?)

She's not ruthless, at least not directly, and only when backed into a corner. She did it through 3rd parties.

• Ned tells her he knows her children are bastards of incest, so she is forced to have Robert killed and Ned charged with treason.
  • She has the Sept of Baelor blown up because she was going to be imprisoned again.  But she watches from a distance.
  • She tells Jaime not to leave her to go fight with the North, or she'll have him killed.  Then has The Mountain stand down.
  • She wanted to have Tyrion executed for killing Joffery, but not by her hand, but after a trial and with an executioner.

So to me, there was no doubt she would stand down again and not give a public order to kill Tyrion.

Also, she's had no experience with warfare.  All she has is Euron Greyjoy, who while adept at sea battles has no on land experience.  She has the sell swords of the Golden Company, and I'm sure their leader is skilled, and it is possible that Jamie will return to fight for her, but...

Finally, remember the Battle of Blackwater, when it looked like Stannis couldn't be stopped? What did she do? She went and hid in the throne room and prepared to commit suicide.  If the Targaryen forces look like they will overrun Kings Landing, she'll kill herself.

just my two cents.

• Like 1

We should have a fan fiction contest where everyone posts their most disappointing possible ending and see who gets it right. Because it’s not going to be Jon and Danny married in KL, Sansa (and Tyrion?) married in Winterfell, Gendry and Arya married in StormsEnd, Jaime and Brienne married Casterly Rock, and Cersei and the Mountain dead by scorpion bolt up the butthole. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

5-courtesy-of-hbo.jpg

So even though winters have come and gone for ages in Westeros without a night king invasion, killing the night king has stopped winter from reaching King’s landing?

6 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Those cross bows apparently take no time to reload, have limitless amo, 360 degree ability to aim in any direction and can be shot around mountains. Unless they drastically depart the showing from last episode, Cersei’s tech is impossible for the other army to overcome 

Super unrealistic. No way you would shoot a warning shot with a crossbow

1 hour ago, 77horn said:

Most say Cersei is ruthless, cunning, but loves her children.  I call BS.  she only "loves" her children because she gets reflected glory.  Witness the "Tommen betrayed me," line when he committed suicide.

She's not particularly cunning.  Most of her schemes go badly.  For example giving the high sparrow so much power. Sending Jamie to Dorne to fetch her daughter back home.  Sending Bron to kill Jamie and Tyrion (wtf did she expect?)

She's not ruthless, at least not directly, and only when backed into a corner. She did it through 3rd parties.

• Ned tells her he knows her children are bastards of incest, so she is forced to have Robert killed and Ned charged with treason.
  • She has the Sept of Baelor blown up because she was going to be imprisoned again.  But she watches from a distance.
  • She tells Jaime not to leave her to go fight with the North, or she'll have him killed.  Then has The Mountain stand down.
  • She wanted to have Tyrion executed for killing Joffery, but not by her hand, but after a trial and with an executioner.

So to me, there was no doubt she would stand down again and not give a public order to kill Tyrion.

Also, she's had no experience with warfare.  All she has is Euron Greyjoy, who while adept at sea battles has no on land experience.  She has the sell swords of the Golden Company, and I'm sure their leader is skilled, and it is possible that Jamie will return to fight for her, but...

Finally, remember the Battle of Blackwater, when it looked like Stannis couldn't be stopped? What did she do? She went and hid in the throne room and prepared to commit suicide.  If the Targaryen forces look like they will overrun Kings Landing, she'll kill herself.

just my two cents.

Agree for the most part.  Earlier in the thread, someone said that Cersei was "clever" and "plays the game well" and I don't agree with that. She simply brute-forces her way through.  It might be effective short-term, but just as everyone turned on the Mad King, they'll turn on Cersei even quicker.  Because ultimately, people just don't like getting burned alive and will only put up with it for so long before they'll take your ass out.  She has no concept of the long game, and wouldn't last for long even if she did take the iron throne.

Did Cersei even know how much of Dany's army was left after the battle at winterfell? She knows they apparently defeated the Night King, but doesn't necessarily know much beyond that. She also knows that there are competent commanders in Dany's army who aren't there. And that Dany is reckless as is evidenced by her letting her dragon get shot out of the sky so easily. She is probably better off with Dany leading the army than Jon or any other of the leaders who would assume command of she killed Dany. Maybe she knows this?

4 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Did Cersei even know how much of Dany's army was left after the battle at winterfell? She knows they apparently defeated the Night King, but doesn't necessarily know much beyond that. She also knows that there are competent commanders in Dany's army who aren't there. And that Dany is reckless as is evidenced by her letting her dragon get shot out of the sky so easily. She is probably better off with Dany leading the army than Jon or any other of the leaders who would assume command of she killed Dany. Maybe she knows this?

Qyburn has spys in the north so I assume Cersei knows Dany lost a lot.

3 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

My take on it was as much as she professes to hate him, he is still her brother and she has a hard time making that finale gesture to have him whacked...at least in front of her.  It's one thing to send Bronn out to kill him remotely, it's another to watch him die.

She had the same dilemma at the end of Season 7 when the Mountain was ready to crush his skull if she gave the nod.  As in this episode she thought long and hard but couldn't bring herself to do it.

The unforgivable sin for a writer is to insult the intelligence of the audience.  Especially an audience that's more willing than most to overlook some stuff here and there because the show has been so fantastic.

I seriously cannot believe some of the decisions that were made in the creation of the final season of one of the most awesome series ever made.

I try to imagine a bunch of guys sitting around a table and not one of them interjecting, "Wait...is our goal here just to say fuck you to the audience?  Because this some serious fuck you stuff y'all are suggesting."

Edited by Augustus
  • Like 4

Dany is turning heel.  Jon will put her down.  Not sure who gets the honor on Cersei.

Jamie will kill her, it's the only reason to send him back to King's Landing. He will probably have to confront Euron too.

I imagine Yara will show up randomly to kill Euron and officially become the Lord of the Iron Islands.

6 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Most disappointing ending?  Hmm.

1. Cersei is mortally wounded by a rampaging Dany, but in her dying moments reconciles with Tyrion and Jamie and apologizes to the Starks. Everyone is moved by this and decides to forgive her. They are able to save her baby right before she dies.  The baby takes its place on the iron throne, and the other characters conclude that Cersei really was misunderstood all along and was just a strong woman who would do anything for her children, like any good mother.

2. Dany kills Jon, Tyrion, Jamie, Arya, Varys and Davos in one sudden dragon fire burst, as they were all somehow unaware of the giant dragon overhead while they were meeting to plot how to stop her.  As Dany is about to be coronated Queen, Bran wargs into a pigeon and shits where Dany is about to step, causing her to slip and fall, breaking her neck.  She dies.

3. The Mountain and Hound hug it out and decide to open a tavern together.

4. Sam and Gilly decide Craster was right all along, and sacrifice their baby to try to conjure back the spirit of the Night King.  They move North of the Wall to use maester knowledge to try to form new white walkers.

5. Stannis is not dead, and he kills Brienne for being weak in choosing to let him live.  Haunted by burning his daughter, he joins Sam and Gilly’s child sacrifice cult to prove it isn’t such a bad thing to do.

6. Sansa and Euron get married.  Euron chooses Sansa over Cersei when Sansa tells him he wants a good girl but needs a bad pussy.  Sansa then betrays Jon and Arya to Dany so she can make a clean break from her past and start over with Euron.

7. Bronn joins the Faceless Men, and shows them how they’re really failing to maximize revenue from their killing contracts.  They relocate from Braavos to the Reach and diversify into banking and farming.  The Citadel becomes a mixed use building with a Madame Tussaud’s wax faces museum for tourists.

8. Gendry inexplicably decides to take a row boat to the Storm Lands, and as of yet has not arrived to take his place as lord.  He is believed lost at sea, although fishermen sometimes report sightings, leading him to be known as Lord Gendry Rivers of the Loch Ness.

All of these sound somewhat entertaining. I wouldn’t mind some treachery as long as there is a point to it all. My expectations are zero. 

My shitshow prediction: Danny will go nuts because she is an impulsive idiot and start killing everyone including Cersei and Jaime. Probably Tyrion and Varys too for treason and she will plot to kill Jon just to tie up the loose ends. Jon or Arya kill Danny. One of the remaining Starks gets killed in a pointless “Meet Joe Black” kind of death. Hound and Mountain duel it out for a few scenes but the dragon ends up nuking the whole place and killing them both. We get zero additional insight about the NK’s backstory/plan or 3 eyed raven, and Bran does nothing else with his raven power to justify his storyline and screentime over these seasons.  Jon is so disheartened by it all he climbs on the last dragon and flies off into the sunset, a la old man Luke Skywalker. Some random ass gets the iron throne, like Theon’s dikey sister or Qyburn. Last scene is Sam writing it all on scrolls like “There and back again: A Hobbit’s Tale” by Bilbo Baggins, but puts down his quill to go have a catch with Sam Jr. Cut to black. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, crash_davis said:

this is a woman who blew up the cept and thousands of innocent people.  she doesn't give a fuck about decorum. she's handed a gift to end the war and instead decides to chop off the head of some nameless stranger.  nothing anyone has done or is doing this season makes any sense to anyone, not even the writers.

This is a recurring comment. There could be plenty of reasons why Cersei didn't choose to kill Tyrion at that moment. You can't maintain that the writers failed because she didn't "do what was logical." We don't know what her game plan is. Why decide to murder someone in cold blood right then and there when his death would have no affect on the outcome of the battles to come. It would no doubt anger the shit out of Jaime. For all we know, she and Jaime have a secret pact. He infiltrates the enemy and waits to betray them when it matters the most. if so, why risk that? We don't know her long game.

If anything, Cersei is calculating. Sometimes you have to suspend disbelief and just go where the writers are taking you. Too much bitching. The season has been awesome so far.

Okay, Bran has been a fail, but I gotta believe they still have BIG plans for him. I have no fucking idea what, but I;m just going to wait and see. Who knows, maybe he's got a fucking vial of wildfire stuffed up his ass and plans to detonate it when he gets close to Cersei. If anyone is going to die in the next two episodes, it's fucking Bran.

And Cersei is not getting out of this alive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

For all we know, she and Jaime have a secret pact. He infiltrates the enemy and waits to betray them when it matters the most. if so, why risk that? We don't know her long game.

that would be a gigantic sacrifice of logic.   

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Since Millasandre got beheaded in the middle of the parlay, why didn’t they execute that Qyberg douchebag out there in the field?

Missandei was a prisoner of war.

Qyburn was the Queen's messenger at a parlay, so it's against convention--at leas that's what the writers were counting on us to accept, as it's so consistent with Cercei's character.

I happen to like Qyburn quite a bit.  He's a great character and the actor is superb.  I've seen him in other shows and he's always terrific.  He played Thomas More in the miniseries Wolf Hall, and was fantastic.

12 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Nitpicking? Nah, not really.  The whole scene felt weird.  Rhaegal was just picked off by those weapons from a bobbing ship half a mile away, and now Dany has her last surviving dragon parked on the frigging ground, stationary, at a distance that appears to be WELL within range based on the Rhaegal surprise attack. If Dumb and Dumber's intentions were for Dany's army to be safely out of range, they failed miserably to show it.

Yeah-  they looked much, much closer than the distance from Euron's ship up into the sky to where Rhaegal was.  And Drogon is just sitting there ?

These guys can't even keep internal consistency in the story within one episode.  They literally don't care.  

5 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

For all we know, she and Jaime have a secret pact. He infiltrates the enemy and waits to betray them when it matters the most.

That pact probaby doesnt include risk of getting himself killed going to the north; risk of getting himself killed fighting zombies; and then fucking a gigantic big woman

3 hours ago, USC Traveler said:

Yeah-  they looked much, much closer than the distance from Euron's ship up into the sky to where Rhaegal was.  And Drogon is just sitting there ?

These guys can't even keep internal consistency in the story within one episode.  They literally don't care.  

The dragon should have five bombed the ships! They can't shoot at that high of an angle! The dragon and Dany's party were at a lower elevation than the giant crossbows designed to shoot dragons out of the sky, the same ones that were apparently so hastily built that they couldn't shield the operators and instead left them totally exposed! The giant crossbows can obviously shoot at the low angle required to kill them all! Why isn't this show consistent?!

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread