Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

3 hours ago, heso said:

Samwell fucking Tarly has a better chance at high garden than Bronn. He has a halfway decent family claim. If Dani wins she owes him her life through Jorah, plus she burned his father and brother. Although he may just be happy to get horn hill. Plus he’s the one that found out dragonglass kills white walkers (and I thing found out about the deposit on Dragonstone). All Gendry did was build some shit out of it. Sam is more of a hero than that bastard. 

sam shouldnt have survived episode 3

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

you are cersei.  in the previous episode, you hired bronn to kill both brothers.  in this episode, your most hated brother waltzes up to the front gates where you have a gazillion arrows, large and small, and you let him live.

cersei is going take him back then he's going to stab her in the back.  this show has gotten this bad.

Motherfucking this. I screamed this at my stupid tv. Stop being stupid Immediately 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Agree completely.  

I do kind of wonder if they are being left alone to do whatever they want with this property (ala Rian Johnson and Star Wars), or if HBO actually has a bunch of market research that says the majority of the audience really just got into this show on a very base level because of sex, violence, and dragons, so they need to Michael Bay it up.

I guess, on some level, it’s easier for me to process some faceless corporate overlord dictating a dumb Hollywood blockbuster formula to try to boost commercial success for the series as it became so popular than it is to accept that two hacks just got extremely lucky and have been running this whole thing all along without even knowing or caring about what they’re doing.  But I suspect D&D really are just that lucky and there really is a shocking lack of thought being put into this show, which used to be obscured by the fact that they were just copying line by line from someone else’s work.

There's a huge element of fatigue as well.  They didnt want to pursue/get involved in the prequels and spinoffs.  Imagine working on basically the same project for over a decade.... anybody would get burn-out.  They did the adaptation, did a bit of guided writing, and on this last lap they've basically just mailed it in.  Check's been cashed.  Emmy's collected.  Half of their entire career is done... time for fresh air

13 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

The amazing part to me isn’t that she left a coffee cup in the shot, it’s that no one caught it in the edit. 

Or, did they catch it, question if they should edit out, and then D&D go “nah, no one will notice that”

Edited by heso

20 hours ago, gurt said:

This was just ridiculous. How can she not see the ships around the bend when she is a few hundred feet in the air?

Yes, but also how was the dragon hit?  Imagine bird hunting with a .22 caliber instead of a bird shot shotgun.  Then imagine you are on a ship on the water. Loving and down with the waves.  Then imagine it is a large spear that has to be perfectly strait and fletched to fly strait.  And then make it a small moving target half a mile away.

So three direct hits were pretty good, right?

30 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I think we can all agree Euron is going to die soon. 

I don't think he'll die until the last episode. Cersie needs a strongman to remain at her side in this upcoming war. It can't be Jaime making decisions that will kill thousands. He has to emerge a hero. Don't think The Mountain would work well as her strategic advisor.

Guest Lobo

Also, someone please 'splain to me how Cersei's hand knows so much about what happened to Danny's forces?  Wouldn't word around King's Landing be something to the effect of, "Oh, you hear about those northern armies and Essos armies joining together to fight the undead?  Curious why our Queen didn't say a word about it or help us defend/prepare?"  

Guest Lobo
2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

So do we believe since Dany named the dragons male names, they are all males? Are there more eggs hiding below Dragonstone?

No, we know they're Mail Dragons because they carry scrolls like ravens.  Plus the balls.  

8 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Jon ditches Ghost, his loyal companion, and can't even be bothered to go give him a PAT ON THE HEAD? After everything Ghost has done for him? WTF?! WTF?!  Worst scene in the series.  Jon is the shittiest pet owner in Westeros.  

Yeah! WTF was with that.

Dont know if anyone saw it or is talking about...but podrick drank on the are you a virgin question...is that why the whores gave the money back? Lied about it to save him face

Or was only brienne under the rules to drink for the question

Could be a little sly clue

7 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

These assholes made the Wolverine movie with the fucked up Deadpool that had to be retconned?

maybe GRRM will retcon these last two seasons and make a different and better ending in the books. 

Going back and looking at their resumes now, it's pretty shocking that HBO handed them the keys to such a high profile project. Hard to believe now that it's part of the monoculture, but expectations must've been relatively low when this thing started out.

13 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Dont know if anyone saw it or is talking about...but podrick drank on the are you a virgin question...is that why the whores gave the money back? Lied about it to save him face

Or was only brienne under the rules to drink for the question

Could be a little sly clue

I believe Podrick drank because he laid pipe...as if to say, "Fuck no, not me, but I'm not wastin this drank."

When Jaime decided to leave Brienne, it was after he was told Dany lost a dragon, right? I took that scene as Jaime realizing that Cersei might actually win, and he needs to help stop her. 

He lied to Brienne to make it easier to leave. D & D are just blowing smoke up everyone's ass with their "Inside GOT" segments. 

I believe Podrick drank because he laid pipe...as if to say, "Fuck no, not me, but I'm not wastin this drank."
Maybe...ill have to dbl check it later but i recall him giving a little look and taking a drink
I know the game as been in a few episodes and im trying to think if just brienne was on the hook for the question

18 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Going back and looking at their resumes now, it's pretty shocking that HBO handed them the keys to such a high profile project. Hard to believe now that it's part of the monoculture, but expectations must've been relatively low when this thing started out.

It wasn't that high profile when it started.  Yes, the books were popular among bookfags, but I'm a reader (non fiction) and had never heard of the damn thing until I saw a billboard for season 1.

Benioff wrote the 25th Hour (Spike) book the movie was based on.  He's also married to Amanda Peet.  Not sure about the other D guy but they had enough pull to get HBO to launch this thing with them at the helm. I read that when they approached GRRM about making the show, he asked them who Jon Snow's parents were and they answered correctly.  So voila, they get the keys to finish the story on screen. 

HBO probably had no idea how far it would take off when they green lighted it, but they have what they have to march forward.

And I've been entertained post books, and given them plenty of rope to hang themselves, and they finally did with that last episode.  Trash. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

When Jaime decided to leave Brienne, it was after he was told Dany lost a dragon, right? I took that scene as Jaime realizing that Cersei might actually win, and he needs to help stop her. 

He lied to Brienne to make it easier to leave. D & D are just blowing smoke up everyone's ass with their "Inside GOT" segments. 

Possibly, or he knew Dany was going to be pissed and she was definitely going to storm the castle.  Either way I'm pissed he flipped back.

6 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Maybe after the cosmic fuck Brienne gave him, he laid there in bed and decided that he had to go kill Cersei, but couldn't tell anybody, not even the love of his life. Or maybe she gives bad head.

he lay there in bed.  lay.

21 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Any chance Sansa goes full frontal in these last two episodes? We got plenty of Danny, Arya (stunt double) side boob, and Cersei (stunt double) full frontal. How bad do you want to win the game of thrones, red?

That wasn’t a double for Arya. 

16 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Possibly, or he knew Dany was going to be pissed and she was definitely going to storm the castle.  Either way I'm pissed he flipped back.

That’s how I viewed it. Pissed dany means she’ll stop at nothing until Cersei is dead, no chance for throne abdication or exile for Cersei. One of the two now definitely has to die.   

45 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I think some of you have confused a fantasy show with a history channel documentary on Westeros military tactics.

So you would send your Queen to negotiate with Cersei from the low ground with only 20 pikemen, putting both your Queen and her dragon well within range of ballistas and archers?  The same ballistas that took out another dragon at a greater distance only days before?

Bad strategy all around. Dany for meeting there in the first place, and Cersei for not trying to end the war right there. 

Then there is also Missandei, who had accepted her own death already and was standing right next to Cersei at the edge.  Grab and fall. 

52 minutes ago, achooloco said:

That wasn’t a double for Arya. 

That’s how I viewed it. Pissed dany means she’ll stop at nothing until Cersei is dead, no chance for throne abdication or exile for Cersei. One of the two now definitely has to die.   

Do you really think Jaime believed at any point that Cersei would survive if she lost the war? This is a clear set up for Jaime to help take out Cersei, and he might do it himself. 

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Do you really think Jaime believed at any point that Cersei would survive if she lost the war? This is a clear set up for Jaime to help take out Cersei, and he might do it himself. 

At some point Jaime has to tell us what he's thinking (hopefully), but he knows Cersei is no good. And he knows that even if he joins her and they win, she'll kill his ass at some point, so he's got to take her out. Wonder if he confided in Tyrion. I think he's going to kill her or die trying.

6 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

It wasn't that high profile when it started.  Yes, the books were popular among bookfags, but I'm a reader (non fiction) and had never heard of the damn thing until I saw a billboard for season 1.

Benioff wrote the 25th Hour (Spike) book the movie was based on.  He's also married to Amanda Peet.  Not sure about the other D guy but they had enough pull to get HBO to launch this thing with them at the helm. I read that when they approached GRRM about making the show, he asked them who Jon Snow's parents were and they answered correctly.  So voila, they get the keys to finish the story on screen. 

HBO probably had no idea how far it would take off when they green lighted it, but they have what they have to march forward.

And I've been entertained post books, and given them plenty of rope to hang themselves, and they finally did with that last episode.  Trash. 

IIRC, the only other credits Dumb and Dumber have is X-Men: Wolverine (complete and utter shit-show) and Troy (beyond mediocre). 

I think the reason HBO gave them the reins is because they probably figured those two hacks would never have to write anything original for the entire run of the series.  George already had four giant books out.  The fifth was just about to be published.  They must have figured it was a lock for the books to be done well ahead of the show.

Plus, if you think back to 2010 or w/e this whole thing got pitched, what was the biggest recent money-maker around in film?  Harry Potter/Twilight.  So I'm sure those HBO execs were looking to cash in on that wave, just with adults instead of kids. 

11 hours ago, 52-80 said:

There's a huge element of fatigue as well.  They didnt want to pursue/get involved in the prequels and spinoffs.  Imagine working on basically the same project for over a decade.... anybody would get burn-out.  They did the adaptation, did a bit of guided writing, and on this last lap they've basically just mailed it in.  Check's been cashed.  Emmy's collected.  Half of their entire career is done... time for fresh air

That's definitely part of it.  When you add their lack of talent to their lack of desire to do the show anymore, it's a deadly combination.

These are some quotes from an interview they did after season 6.

https://deadline.com/2016/08/game-of-thrones-david-benioff-d-b-weiss-emmys-interview-1201803698/

Working on a drama 363 days a year really makes us appreciate animation. Because you know what it’s not? Live action drama. On which we spend 363 days a year.

When we pitched this show, we were both unmarried, without children, and one of us (David) had made a 20 minute short film on which the other (Dan) did craft service. We now have two wives who have chosen to stay married to us for some reason. And five children, one of whom was born at the Ulster Hospital in Belfast, all of whom are raised together, travel together, and speak their own secret language like carnies. Actually, the kids do go home when school starts. And the three months or so during the fall school year while we’re shooting involve us doing a lot of flying between Belfast and Los Angeles, which isn’t normal, especially as far as sleep patterns are concerned. 

23 hours ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Rationalize things before spewing shit out.  

We’re running out of time.  

D+D's bad writing forces a lot of people to rationalize too many things that are nonsensical, until it gets to a point where the show's not enjoyable any more.  You might be able to still enjoy the show,  which is great for you, but no one needed to make any rationalizations during the first four seasons because the quality of the writing was light years better.

I honestly wish I still liked the show as much as you do, as I did during the first four seasons, but it seems like a very different show these days.

As far as the time that's remaining on the show- that's 100% due to D+D deciding that they were going to finish the show in 73 episodes, instead of 80, 90 or whatever.  They boxed themselves into this corner.

• Like 3

It’s going to get worse, not better. Just prepare yourself. D&D think they are smarter than everyone else and have some clever ending cooked up that the plebes will enjoy after we think on D&D’s level. 

The parallels between seasons 7 and 8 and the Star Wars Eps 7-9 are uncanny. No planning in the story arc or where it all ends, ruining characters by going against who they were and what they had learned previously, loss of original writer/creator, etc. 

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread