Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

Eurons fleet and warriors are useless on land. There was no reason to take a ship anywhere, they should have marched to King's Landing and picked up lots of new troops along the way. Really dumb move, but not surprising.

It is interesting that Cersie used the distraction of the Night King to fortify the city with scorpions. Those things are nasty to fight against, and could cause this show to end with zero live dragons. It would be tough for Dany to rule without any dragons, and just about everyone she loved is dead.

I think they are setting up the ending to be one last twist where Jon has to kill Dany or let her be killed, and he ends up on the throne against his own wishes, and we get The Sad King as he wallows in depression for the rest of his life. That seems like a GRRM type ending, replete with disappointment and sadness.

• Like 1

The rampant stupidity continues unabated:

Dany doesn’t want to wait let her dragons and the Northmen heal, or wait for reinforcements from Dorne. 

Jon, Tyrion, etc don't want to Dany to kill innocents and look evil by burning the city, so they're going to starve them out instead ?  That will make her look benevolent ?

We don't get to see Arya and Sansa's reactions to the news of who Jon's parents were. 

After Dany's fleet was savaged by Euron last season because Yara apparently had no scout ships, Dany once again goes back to sea instead of marching overland, and has no advance scouting to see where Euron might be hiding ?   D+D literally said after the episode that "Dany forgot about Euron."  LOL

Euron's ships apparently can’t be seen from the air ? 

Euron has ship-to-air guided crossbows that can shoot around mountains and are deadly accurate at long range and high altitude, but not so much during a low-altitude frontal attack ?

The Unsullied are able to swim ashore in their armor, but somehow Missandei can’t, even though she grew up on a tropical island and is only wearing leather ? 

My wife and I had low expectations for this week, and were still disappointed.  These next two weeks could get really ugly.  A complete crash and burn isn't out of the question.

• Like 6

Did anyone even care about Rhaegal dying this week ?  It seemed so forced and contrived, it didn't really land for my wife and I, and my wife was in tears when Viserion died.  

And then they spent no real time showing the impact on Dany.  Contrast that with when she lost Viserion North of the Wall.  These guys are on such a sprint to the finish that it seems like nothing else matters.

For the second week in a row, Arya's story was the one thing in the show that made sense and didn't have her behaving stupidly or out of character.  I would ordinarily not want her to take out both the NK and Cersei, but given how few reasons there are to cheer for anyone else at this point, I'd be fine with her taking out Cersei.  I've got a bad feeling about the Hound though. Felt like obvious foreshadowing when he asked her if she would finish him off if he was dying.  Could see him killing his brother, but getting mortally wounded in the process, and Arya putting him out of his misery.  

Hopefully I'm wrong and they both survive.  With the way things are going in the other storylines, I'd rather see the Arya and Hound roadtrip killers spinoff and the Tormund/Ghost frozen adventures spinoff, with D+D nowhere near either one.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Slade said:

A great point a friend of mine brought up:

They have Bran on their side. He can warg into ravens, birds, whatever, and fly ahead and scout for their ships as they sail south. Guess not. Bran is just gonna sit there and be relegated to uselessness again. 

They suck at using the dragons and Bran.  They let a whiny cunt rule them who no longer has an army.

They do not want to win.

Did anyone even care about Rhaegal dying this week ?  It seemed so forced and contrived, it didn't really land for my wife and I, and my wife was in tears when Viserion died.  
And then they spent no real time showing the impact on Dany.  Contrast that with when she lost Viserion North of the Wall.  These guys are on such a sprint to the finish that it seems like nothing else matters.

For the second week in a row, Arya's story was the one thing in the show that made sense and didn't have her behaving stupidly or out of character.  I would ordinarily not want her to take out both the NK and Cersei, but given how few reasons there are to cheer for anyone else at this point, I'd be fine with her taking out Cersei.  I've got a bad feeling about the Hound though. Felt like obvious foreshadowing when he asked her if she would finish him off if he was dying.  Could see him killing his brother, but getting mortally wounded in the process, and Arya putting him out of his misery.  

Hopefully I'm wrong and they both survive.  With the way things are going in the other storylines, I'd rather see the Arya and Hound roadtrip killers spinoff and the Tormund/Ghost frozen adventures spinoff, with D+D nowhere near either one.
Lol... stupid things wives say and do thread is that way---->

7 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Some nice little one-liners sprinkled throughout. Hound giving Gendry shit over Arya, as mentioned the Hound when Arya shows up to tag along. 

Guess she isn’t planning on going back North. Not sure what to make of that. You knew she would turn Gendry down though. 

Speaking of Lord Gendry Baratheon, nice little move by Dany. I thought she was going to be all cunty about it, then nope. That was a good deed by her, but it’s too bad she’s spinning into the madness of her heritage.

That was a power move by her.  She wanted to get the crowd toblike her.  

1 hour ago, USC Traveler said:

The rampant stupidity continues unabated:

Dany doesn’t want to wait let her dragons and the Northmen heal, or wait for reinforcements from Dorne. 

Jon, Tyrion, etc don't want to Dany to kill innocents and look evil by burning the city, so they're going to starve them out instead ?  That will make her look benevolent ?

We don't get to see Arya and Sansa's reactions to the news of who Jon's parents were. 

After Dany's fleet was savaged by Euron last season because Yara apparently had no scout ships, Dany once again goes back to sea instead of marching overland, and has no advance scouting to see where Euron might be hiding ?   D+D literally said after the episode that "Dany forgot about Euron."  LOL

Euron's ships apparently can’t be seen from the air ? 

Euron has ship-to-air guided crossbows that can shoot around mountains and are deadly accurate at long range and high altitude, but not so much during a low-altitude frontal attack ?

The Unsullied are able to swim ashore in their armor, but somehow Missandei can’t, even though she grew up on a tropical island and is only wearing leather ? 

My wife and I had low expectations for this week, and were still disappointed.  These next two weeks could get really ugly.  A complete crash and burn isn't out of the question.

Dany is in a hurry to get the fucknoutnof winterfell and win this war as she rightfully senses that the masses would want Jon to be king if they found out 

starving them out buys time and who knows maybe theyd supply food to the citizens?

do you whine because it makes you feel like one of the guys here?   Rationalize things before spewing shit out.  

Dany is changing before our eyes.  Maybe she cried over the dragon maybe she doesn’t.  Does anyone care if it’s shown other than you and your wife.  We’re running out of time.  

Edited by Barry_McCokiner
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 5

8 hours ago, TexArcher said:

That's what I told a friend of mine.  How the hell do they get ambushed anymore?  How does Dany not know there's an arsenal of nuclear crossbows floating around King's Landing?

Vairies  should have known, what happened to all his little birds?  Seems like your spymaster sucks if he can't get a report of monster crossbow fortifications being built on castle walls... of the castle you called home for god knows how many years...  oh, no spies left in the fucking capital?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

Vairies  should have known, what happened to all his little birds?  Seems like your spymaster sucks if he can't get a report of monster crossbow fortifications being built on castle walls... of the castle you called home for god knows how many years...  oh, no spies left in the fucking capital?

Everyone knew the bows existed.  Probably didn’t take Euron long to get them on board his ships

Guest Lobo

To be fair, she does look at a lot like the starbuck's logo lady.  Plus, she puts her legs next to her ears like that for Jon Snow.  

5 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

What the fuck is going on with Ghost? Do they just not know what to do with him? 

I don't know why they didn't just lit him get killed by the undead.  The bigger disappoint for me is Bran...such a wasted character. 

The episode was a mixed bag that included some of the worst scenes in the entire series (Rhaegal's death, Gendry's proposal to Arya, Bronn walking into Winterfell with his crossbow) but also some relatively classic scenes (Hound and Arya scenes, Tormund scenes, Varys and Tyrion scenes).  It served its purpose to assemble the characters for the final battle but certainly won't be remembered as a great episode.

Rhaegal's death was the low point of the season for me.  Just incredibly weak writing.  Why not have Dany just see the ships from a distance and lead the two dragons to burn them up only to be taken by surprise by the crossbows during the attack run?  

Also, how many times this season will a line from the glory days of the show be quoted?  Most of the best lines in this season are callbacks to lines in previous seasons.

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

This is funny as fuck but am I the only one that was bummed out by this scene? Poor Brienne finally found a man and he gives her the pump and dump. I felt bad for her.

Yeah I was pissed. You can't fuck around with Brienne like that. 

Tyrion's "climbing the mountian" exchange with Jaime was fantastic.

LOL at rapid-fire, hyper-accurate, VW-bus-at-400mph-energy-packing-when-they-hit crossbows. Ridiculous, ruined the whole episode for me. This is the secret weapon that defeats dragons routinely? Dragons kind of suck if so.

That plus they apparently have a higher shot arc then Steph Curry to get over that fucking island and still hit their target.

How Dany and the dragons, while flying, didn't see a separate fleet of that size and that fleet has line of site on them is one of the dumbest things D&D have forced down our throats. That plus everyone has to literally be aggy levels of stupid not to expect something around Dragonstone considering it's relation to Kings Landing.

Thank God this is the last season.
  • Like 2

I don't think bran gives a shit to help either side.  He knows the consequences of Jon telling Sansa and says it's up to you when it could mean he's fucked the minute he told her and Bran knows it. 

He should have warged into the dragon when Jon fell off.  That was a missed opportunity.  Him helping now doesn't make any sense. 

The big plot writing so far has been sub par.  I feel confident that if a lot of people in this thread and a lot of fans of the show were to sit down and write key plot points over these last episodes that they would have made this ending much more interesting.  I mean Dany jumps in boats after getting her ass handed to her last season.  

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

If Jon truly doesn't want the throne, he should shut the fuck up.

Fucking this. What’s the point of telling anyone if you don’t want the throne, and you don’t want to stir the pot. I swear, deep down, Jon is the dumbest mother fucker. No common sense.

1 minute ago, deech said:

I don't think bran gives a shit to help either side.  He knows the consequences of Jon telling Sansa and says it's up to you when it could mean he's fucked the minute he told her and Bran knows it. 

He should have warged into the dragon when Jon fell off.  That was a missed opportunity.  Him helping now doesn't make any sense. 

The big plot writing so far has been sub par.  I feel confident that if a lot of people in this thread and a lot of fans of the show were to sit down and write key plot points over these last episodes that they would have made this ending much more interesting.  I mean Dany jumps in boats after getting her ass handed to her last season.  

I'm not suggesting Bran should be helping now, just that they went to all that trouble to develop a character with a very unique skill set, and then do nothing with him.  Why have him in the series at all?  He may as well have died from the fall.  They could have easily come up with other ways for the Night King to get south of the wall and for the truth about Jon to be known.  I think he was destined for bigger things, but is a casualty of the rush to finish, along with so many others.   

• Like 4

8 hours ago, gurt said:

Everyone sucks at everything now. The writers made the characters as dumb as their selves

JFC this.  This shit is turning into the Walking Dead.  Afraid to kill off main characters so they kill the tiger, I mean dragon.  

Whimper....whimper....whimper....Dracarus!

Bitch, you know you're going to die.  Circie is right fucking next to you.  Sure, your hands are shackled, but grab her ass and take a swan dive together.  War over.

*were her feet shackled?  Even so, loosely.  Tip that bitch off the wall.  

1,000+ years of dragons.  Ultimate tactical advantage in all the realm.  Nobody thought about a big ass bow and metal arrows?  Big ass bows that conveniently only point in one direction?  Ships tend to have this giant wood pole in the middle of them that tend to obscure metal arrows.  Bitch, swing around.  

Giant metal bows mounted on the walls?  Out in the open?  That also only point in one direction.  Still have your trebuchets?  Assuming a plan to storm a giant castle involved siege works of some kind.  Way to serve up a giant shit sandwich after a kick ass earlier episode.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_ulOiepm4wGJeihOxuzc

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, heso said:

Multiple times this episode. 

I'll look closely when I re-watch, but I think you're just assuming they did.   Seems like information (not related to humongous crossbows) is pretty damned snappy.

1 minute ago, Loco said:

I'll look closely when I re-watch, but I think you're just assuming they did.   Seems like information (not related to humongous crossbows) is pretty damned snappy.

They show them with the scrolls, but not the ravens flying. 

12 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

JFC this.  This shit is turning into the Walking Dead.  Afraid to kill off main characters so they kill the tiger, I mean dragon.  

It's reminding me quite a lot of Walking Dead.  For one thing, I don't care about any of the characters any more.  Arya is probably still my favorite but she's moved beyond even really being a person to something supernatural with god-like abilities.  The stupidity of the characters gets so bad that it's all a lot of people can talk about in a story that features zombies and dragons and shit.  Why can't these Walking Dead idiots find water?  How the fuck are you going to get ambushed by Euron's fleet for the 3rd time? 

• Like 3

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread