Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

Regarding Bronn waltzing into Winterfell and demanding High Garden, how was this threat not run up the chain of command? Bronn threatened to also kill Dany's advisers to give Cersei an advantage. His threat is more than just an assassin trying to carry out a contract kill.

Just now, TheFlyingBoat said:

The Red Wedding resulted in the Brotherhood killing a bunch of Lannisters and Freys. Killing Catelyn turned Petyr and thus brought the Knights of the Vale to the North. No one could prove she blew up the Sept as everyone who knew her plan basically died.

None of that’s true but regardless What does proving it matter? She did it. She doesn’t give a fuck. You think fear of people knowing she broke a parlay would stop her? 

Just now, Baboontyme said:

Didn't anyone watch the interviews with the writers after the show? They made it pretty clear Jamie is going back to Cersei because he loves her and can't quit her.

I can’t stand watching that shit. They just sit there and explain all these storylines and ideas they never actually conveyed during the show itself. It’s annoying AF.

16 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I think Jaime isn’t going to Kings Landing to protect Cersei 

One of the biggest moments in the finale... Jaime will be faced with a decision. Kill Cersei in order to save someone - probably Brienne. And he'll take out Cersei. Inner struggle, etc. That's why the writers sent him on, so he could join his Queen.

8 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Didn't anyone watch the interviews with the writers after the show? They made it pretty clear Jamie is going back to Cersei because he loves her and can't quit her.

i watched it.  i remember benioff saying that, but my initial interpretation on hearing jamie's reasoning was he's going to kill cersei.  

besides i'm not sure if the writers even remember much of anything at this point.  gendry rivers???

53 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

No way it ends well for Bronn.

Samwell fucking Tarly has a better chance at high garden than Bronn. He has a halfway decent family claim. If Dani wins she owes him her life through Jorah, plus she burned his father and brother. Although he may just be happy to get horn hill. Plus he’s the one that found out dragonglass kills white walkers (and I thing found out about the deposit on Dragonstone). All Gendry did was build some shit out of it. Sam is more of a hero than that bastard. 

Edited by heso
  • Like 1

Regarding Bronn waltzing into Winterfell and demanding High Garden, how was this threat not run up the chain of command? Bronn threatened to also kill Dany's advisers to give Cersei an advantage. His threat is more than just an assassin trying to carry out a contract kill.

It’s amateur hour for the Stark/Targareon alliance. They let Bronn in. Then they let Jaime pack up and go back to KL.

Also, Stark’s bloodfeud for Cersei seems to have faded. Understand, Arya’s got a list, and I guess Sansa wants to focus on the North. But, they seem pretty humdrum about the whole thing.

2 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

One of the biggest moments in the finale... Jaime will be faced with a decision. Kill Cersei in order to save someone - probably Brienne. And he'll take out Cersei. Inner struggle, etc. That's why the writers sent him on, so he could join his Queen.

Seems like Brienne is pretty much irrelevant?

1 minute ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

That's wishful thinking and false bravado on Sansa's part.

Not really, but the point of that scene is to convey that Jamie is thinking the same thing Sansa is thinking.  And IMO Sansa is calling it like it is. By now she's too smart to be cocky and overconfident. Cersei may have a fighting chance but she's still the underdog.

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i watched it.  i remember benioff saying that, but my initial interpretation on hearing jamie's reasoning was he's going to kill cersei.  

besides i'm not sure if the writers even remember much of anything at this point.  gendry rivers???

I don't remember which post-episode it was, but recently one of them referred to Dickon Tarly as Sam's older brother. Not exactly a minor detail in Sam's story.

15 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I was wondering how euron and his armada could see Dani and the dragons when Dani couldn’t see them.  If I can’t see you because you are around the corner, then you can’t see me because you are around the corner. 

She would see the armada long before they'd see her, unless she was getting off on the bump and grind you get while riding a dragon

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

None of that’s true but regardless What does proving it matter? She did it. She doesn’t give a fuck. You think fear of people knowing she broke a parlay would stop her? 

I can’t stand watching that shit. They just sit there and explain all these storylines and ideas they never actually conveyed during the show itself. It’s annoying AF.

If they have to explain what happened, then they suck as writers.

The suck started somewhere way back, and has only gotten worse. I'm not really sure what all the hubbbub is about-- this show suffers from shitty writing, and has for a long while.

• Like 2

I like how they just nonchalantly threw out that the Prince of Dorne (does he have a name) is now allied with Dany,, are they going to be a factor in the final battle? Dorne is supposedly one of the strongest kingdoms and has managed to mostly stay out of the wars to this point.

9 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I don't remember which post-episode it was, but recently one of them referred to Dickon Tarly as Sam's older brother. Not exactly a minor detail in Sam's story.

yeah i remember that.  it was episode 1.  and it was also benioff.  dude it just... forgetful.  it's weird.  

fun fact:  benioff also wanted "rains of castemere" to be the theme/intro song.  weiss talked him out of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I like how they just nonchalantly threw out that the Prince of Dorne (does he have a name) is now allied with Dany,, are they going to be a factor in the final battle? Dorne is supposedly one of the strongest kingdoms and has managed to mostly stay out of the wars to this point.

i lost it at that.  they just threw out that fact and didn't say WHO it was?? come on man.  dorne ex machina?

14 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The idiot writers said it was Jaime admitting that he was addicted to Cersei like a drug, more so than loving her, and no matter what he couldn’t break that addiction. 

Which also could be the set up for ultimate love, ultimate betrayal when he gets there to discover she's been cheating on him.  He flips out and more bodies hit the floor.

Some of my takes on this shit

1. Thoroughly satisfying episode even without much action. They threw us a few curves. I figured one of the dragons was going down. Tough to watch, though. At heart, Dany's kind of a fuck up.

2. Making Dany seem plausibly prone to insanity. Maybe she needs to be killed - or maybe she'll sacrifice herself. The Mountain could take her out at the end, giving Jon the ultimate showdown against him. Should be a great battle. A little help from Arya, maybe?

3. Bronn is no longer a good guy - although they're kind of setting him up to make the same hard choice Jaime will be faced with. But the brothers have to now question his loyalty.

4. Until last night, the Hound had been wasted. He and Arya belong together, and both should survive. Nice scene at end. Headed fr Kings Landing, I reckon. Would make a great sequel series together.

5. All the bitching about why didn't they shoot everyone from the castle walls - The scene was set up to show that they  were out of range of arrows and the fucking dragon killers. Don't waste your logic - that's the message the writers were giving you. You got the dragon muching down on a couple of sheep. They could hardly have Tyrion walking to the talk to Cersei if she was 10,000 yards off.

6. Brienne. Thank God they didn't show her tits. Fuck.

7. Gendry just peter principled out of the show. He won't be king.

8. Bran remains worthless. He couldn't warg a pot to piss in.

9. Jon is the ultimate rebel. He will not be king. Instead he will give the crown to Sansa and Tyrion. The midget gets the babe and the money. Martin can rest easy. Jon's got some wild oats to sew.

10. Oh, and I forgot to mention the Starbucks cup on the table at the victory celebration.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, F250 said:

Bronn is a wild card now. Helps keep it interesting. Should be a pretty good finale.

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
3 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:
That's the first thing I thought when I saw the new Kings Landing. Huh? Cersei fucked the place up pretty bad in one Off Season.

Didn't that green shit do a number on the territory when it exploded?

Hell no. Cersei and her kid watched it from the adjoining building.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Or maybe he figured it would be easier for Brienne to get over him if he reminded her how shitty a person he once was.

Maybe after the cosmic fuck Brienne gave him, he laid there in bed and decided that he had to go kill Cersei, but couldn't tell anybody, not even the love of his life. Or maybe she gives bad head.

6 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Maybe after the cosmic fuck Brienne gave him, he laid there in bed and decided that he had to go kill Cersei, but couldn't tell anybody, not even the love of his life. Or maybe she gives bad head.

Dead fish

• Like 1

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Maybe I’m wrong, but I still assume he will end up turning on her.  Except, in this case it will be because he’s bitchy and jealous that she chooses Euron to be her partner and baby daddy instead of him (because she needs Euron, at least until the war is over).  Turning on her as a jilted lover instead of as the culmination of a 6 or 7 season redemption arc would be disappointing.

Jaime won't do something petty. He'll do it to save a life, or end evil et al. As when he killed the Mad King, he'll have a choice. I think he survives the series.

4 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Well, Dany showed her true colors in season 1.  Her older brother Viserys had the better claim to the throne.  But that didn’t stop Dany from giving Khal Drogo the go ahead to kill Viserys.  She showed back then how power hungry she would become.  So I’m not surprised that she’d tell Jon to keep quiet so that she can sit on the Iron Throne.  I think it's in character.

She killed her brother because he fondled her tits. 

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

D&D’s other work was Troy (badly copying someone else’s writing about ancient mythology and warfare ... sounds familiar) and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. 

These guys owe Martin big time.

Or Martin pulled the greatest troll by deciding not to write the books and expose these writers for the clowns they are. 

The Cersei/euron/Jaime triangle should be interesting. I’m assuming he will beat jon and davos’ soldiers to KL despite the day or two head start, pass them without notice, and be inside the gates before the siege. 

one or more of them will be killed by one or more of them.  Though the preview hints that euron is with the fleet as the attack begins.

Those new dragon killer crossbows seemed to reload much faster than the one bronn used. 

Starting to think that Jon needs to die, Dani too. Arya lives but disappears. 

Hound called Sansa baby bird again. Littlefinger’s sigel was the mockingbird. After all is said and done, she may use what she learned from littlefinger to end up on the throne.  She’s turning into him or berys the way she uses information. 

Just an FYI to those of you who are new to r/freefolk, they do not mod production or leaked spoilers. HBO has been much better this season, but last season you couldn't even visit the page without immediately knowing all the major plot points. 

These story arcs need resolution 

Jamie must choose between Cersei and the right thing to do

Cersei and Tyrion - will she finally kill him for killing her father? 

Dany - will she give up the throne for her people she loves (Jon) or burn the innocents?

Jon Snow - will he choose his Stark family or his Queen (love)?

Hound v Mountain 

Arya - will she cross the final name off her list? 

Tyrion - will he choose the Queen he believes in or the King who’s worthy? 

3 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

If I’m Cersei and my brohusband comes back while carousing with the north, I’m putting him in house arrest.

you are cersei.  in the previous episode, you hired bronn to kill both brothers.  in this episode, your most hated brother waltzes up to the front gates where you have a gazillion arrows, large and small, and you let him live.

cersei is going take him back then he's going to stab her in the back.  this show has gotten this bad.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

D&D’s other work was Troy (badly copying someone else’s writing about ancient mythology and warfare ... sounds familiar) and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. 

These guys owe Martin big time.

As soon as they ran out of published source material, they went to shit. Martin is a genius, but slow as molasses. Fuck him for selling the rights to something he won't finish and leaving us with this garish monstrosity.

D&D are hacks that don't understand the characters or story they are trying to tell. Attention to detail is completely non-existent. They left a fucking Starbucks cup on the table right beside Clarke. They don't even know how pronounce Missandei and Cersei correctly on the Inside the Episodes. They don't know that Gendry's last name is Waters. There's the stupidity of the ballistas, being able to mass produce them on every tower and every ship and sniping Rhaegal with the first three shots from a mile away, one of which did a 90 degree turn to hit his neck from the side. Aside from the stupidity of all of that, those ballistas are huge, the ship would be in more danger of tipping over than Guam.  

This season seems like they didn't know how to finish it, decided they had a train wreck on their hands and just wanted it over with as quickly as possible. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pods said:

D&D are hacks that don't understand the characters or story they are trying to tell. Attention to detail is completely non-existent. They left a fucking Starbucks cup on the table right beside Clarke. They don't even know how pronounce Missandei and Cersei correctly on the Inside the Episodes. They don't know that Gendry's last name is Waters.

that was funny. i was like what did he say? meesoondee?

10 hours ago, Loco said:

Vairies  should have known, what happened to all his little birds?  Seems like your spymaster sucks if he can't get a report of monster crossbow fortifications being built on castle walls... of the castle you called home for god knows how many years...  oh, no spies left in the fucking capital?

forgetting all the lapse in logic of warfare and travel and etc, for me the biggest disappointment in the dave'ing of the show, is the castration of all the sharp witted characters and dialogs.

varys, tyrion, hound, jaime, even cersei, have all had the intelligence and cunning and humor completely drained out of them. 

occasionally tormund makes a pass at brienne.  hardee-har-har.  but noone to backfill the likes of queen of thorns in terms of character.

how quickly 10 years of tv turned into an 80s coming-of-age comedy with characters getting drunk and pairing up.

kinda good that the show ends this season.  had it been contracted for 2 or 3 more years, im guessing many would shut it off today

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Agree completely.  

I do kind of wonder if they are being left alone to do whatever they want with this property (ala Rian Johnson and Star Wars), or if HBO actually has a bunch of market research that says the majority of the audience really just got into this show on a very base level because of sex, violence, and dragons, so they need to Michael Bay it up.

I guess, on some level, it’s easier for me to process some faceless corporate overlord dictating a dumb Hollywood blockbuster formula to try to boost commercial success for the series as it became so popular than it is to accept that two hacks just got extremely lucky and have been running this whole thing all along without even knowing or caring about what they’re doing.  But I suspect D&D really are just that lucky and there really is a shocking lack of thought being put into this show, which used to be obscured by the fact that they were just copying line by line from someone else’s work.

I also think GRRM took a much more hands on role in the production when it was his source material.

The lack of detail shown by D&D now seems like it should’ve been more apparent earlier, even if they had the books to aid them.

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread