Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

On 5/6/2019 at 4:16 AM, PilotsError said:

The biggest thing on this show is who Jon really is.  Not being able to watch the Starks' reactions is completel fucking bullshit.  It should have been one of the biggest moments in the series.  But it happens off screen?  And then we don't even see Arya and Sansa discuss it?  She gets on a horse to KL and the other immediately spills it.  LOL.

Agreed.  

We've been following the Stark kids for the last 8 years, but they chose to cut away from the girls' reactions ?  Beyond belief. 

2 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Ease up on the writers and producers for chrissakes. When a series is ending, the top people get offers - often ones they can't refuse. Their spouses are probably bitching at them to get new jobs. They got mortgages and kids in college. Sometimes they have to act while the iron is hot.

Except in this case, HBO is on record as wanting to have this roll out for more years.  The series is ending because D+D no longer wanted to do it.  They decided to end it in 73 episodes.

They've had GRRM's bullet points on how he wanted to end everything for years.  It's not like they just found out last season and have been scrambling to  make it all work, even though it looks that way because of how bad this season is.

This season's shitshow is entirely on D+D.

• Like 1

@Goo Punch

After the last episode I'm on #TeamDerka, I think this explains what is going on concisely.

This show has always made me angry. I was angry when they executed Lady, I was angry when they executed Ned, I was angry with what they did to Drogo, I was angry after the Red Wedding, I was angry when the Nights Watch turned on Jon and murdered him, I was angry when Oberyn Martell died...I have been angry at a lot of things during this show.

However, who I was angry at has changed.

When they executed Lady, I was angry at Sansa for lying and Cersei for demanding Lady's death.

When they executed Ned, I was angry at Joffrey for being a sniveling little prick.

When Drogo died due to the witch, I was angry at Dany for being a twit demanding the women to be saved and going against Dothroki culture and I was angry at Drogo for going along with it. I wasn't angry with the witch...she had her reasons.

When they massacred everyone at the Red Wedding, I was angry at the Freys, I was angry at the Boltons, and I was angry at Catelyn for all her stupid decisions that brought them there.

When the Night's Watch killed Jon, I was angry at them...and Ollie most of all.

When Oberyn Martell died, I was angry at him for delaying the killing blow.

I was angry at all these characters because they were all written fantastically and their actions made sense...even if I was angry at them because they killed off a character I really liked. It was the characters actions that made me angry, and thus made me invested in the story.

Lately though...when something happens...I now get angry at the writers because the characters actions no longer make any sense.

I'm not angry at Arya for killing the Night King...I'm angry at the writers because it makes no sense.

I'm not angry at Dany for not seeing the ships that killed Rhaegal, I'm angry at the writers because ANYONE would be able to see a fleet of ships from that far up in the air.

I'm not angry at the characters that didn't die during the battle of winterfell...I'm angry at the writers for showing them in impossible situations and having them survive.

So basically, Game Of Thrones has always made me angry...but it used to be in a good way that invested me into the show and interested in what happens next...I cared about the characters future, even the ones I hated. But now I just don't care...nothing makes sense anymore so I no longer care what happens. If Cersei wins, whatever...If Dany wins, whatever...If Jon wins, whatever...If Ghost sits on the Iron Throne, whatever.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, USC Traveler said:

Except in this case, HBO is on record as wanting to have this roll out for more years.  The series is ending because D+D no longer wanted to do it.  They decided to end it in 73 episodes.

They've had GRRM's bullet points on how he wanted to end everything for years.  It's not like they just found out last season and have been scrambling to  make it all work, even though it looks that way because of how bad this season is.

This season's shitshow is entirely on D+D.

I read Jon didn't want to do it anymore either

44 minutes ago, MoJames said:

@Goo Punch

After the last episode I'm on #TeamDerka, I think this explains what is going on concisely.

damn that is on point. extremely well said. GoT isn't my favorite TV show ever, but the strongest emotional reaction I've ever had from a TV show was from GoT. I found myself struggling for air because yeh tension was so thick during "Crawl Space" or "Full Measure" ; I cried- not teared up- cried at the end of "Through The Looking Glass", and was equally moved when I watched "The Constant" during LOST; but I have never reacted to a show the way I did to Shireen Baratheon being burned at the stake, desperately screaming for her mother, begging for anyone to save her life, as her weeping mother was held back from rushing to her, finally realizing that she had disillusioned herself to the point of no return. That hit me harder than any piece of TV I've ever seen.

I fucking wept. I wept like someone i knew had died. I was not okay. I legitimately needed time to recover from that episode before moving on with my life. And here's the crazy thing- when I watched that same episode on my second walkthrough of the series, I wept again! The writing, the build up, and most of all the acting from Kerry Ingram- it all led to me being so emotionally invested in the show and the characters that I was legitimately shaken when they killed her off like that. 

This show is a fucking joke now. A traveshamockery through three episodes of the most anticipated final season maybe in the history of TV, at least numbers wise. This show is nothing like that show. This show is Community season four. This show is Sabre era Office. This show is season four Arrested Development. This show is milquetoast hollywood bullshit that's corny and hokey and nonsensical. Just a damn shame. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Ease up on the writers and producers for chrissakes. When a series is ending, the top people get offers - often ones they can't refuse. Their spouses are probably bitching at them to get new jobs. They got mortgages and kids in college. Sometimes they have to act while the iron is hot. Meanwhile you've got snotty actors living off their GOT fame who are saying "cut it short."

Aside from the Starbucks cup, they've done a pretty good job of holding it together.

(Agree that Sansa's a shit for betraying Jon's trust). Little bitch is gonna get someone killed.

mrw-i-sit-in-the-back-of-lecture-so-no-o

What you've just said..... 

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I usually rewatch every episode. I can't do it with the last episode. I keep reading recaps and listening to podcasts, and I just can't relive it again. On to Episode 5.

I’m in similar boat. Rewatched it only 3 times. Usually do 5 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I’ll keep watching for the same reason you visit grandma when they put her in hospice. 

you visit nana in hospice because you love her dearly and she doesn’t have much time.  it’s bittersweet, heartfelt interaction that you’ll cherish forever.  

I keep watching GoT for the same reason I visit my deadbeat dad in the slammer.  he was pretty great when I was little but he started beating my brothers and me and then he killed mom and now he’s on death row.  I fucking hate him for what he has become and want him to die but goddammit he’s still my dad and I can’t help but go sit across the glass and loathe his existence.  I’ll be relieved when he gets the needle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

D&D suck at writing this kind of stuff, but I can't really blame them too much. Editing/adapting is a very different skill than writing/creating.  As a book reader, D&D did a damn good job editing and adapting the books, which is not an easy task because there is an unreal amount of stuff to cut out to make good TV.   That said, I'd estimate that 90+% of the great stuff from the first 5ish seasons came directly from the books, including most of the classic lines, which were nearly direct quotes from the books.  That fact was something TV-only viewers weren't confronted with until recently, which for them obscured the reality of what D&D's job was all along. 

The real blame has to fall on GRRM for not producing more source material.   Eight fucking years since the last book, while writing tons of other shit nobody cares about.   He left screenplay adapters high and dry, and they just aren't capable of producing original work on this level, even with years of backstory established.  Not that many people are, honestly; GRRM created an amazing world that defied expectations in a way that is incredibly difficult these days.

But at least D&D have the balls to finish the damn thing, while some coward seems to have shit in GRRM's pants. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

D&D suck at writing this kind of stuff, but I can't really blame them too much. Editing/adapting is a very different skill than writing/creating.  As a book reader, D&D did a damn good job editing and adapting the books, which is not an easy task because there is an unreal amount of stuff to cut out to make good TV.   That said, I'd estimate that 90+% of the great stuff from the first 5ish seasons came directly from the books, including most of the classic lines, which were nearly direct quotes from the books.  That fact was something TV-only viewers weren't confronted with until recently, which for them obscured the reality of what D&D's job was all along. 

The real blame has to fall on GRRM for not producing more source material.   Eight fucking years since the last book, while writing tons of other shit nobody cares about.   He left screenplay adapters high and dry, and they just aren't capable of producing original work on this level, even with years of backstory established.  Not that many people are, honestly; GRRM created an amazing world that defied expectations in a way that is incredibly difficult these days.

But at least D&D have the balls to finish the damn thing, while some coward seems to have shit in GRRM's pants. 

D&D have known for years George wouldn’t finish. HBO has a basically unlimited budget for this show. They could’ve hired some other fantasy writers to help them put together a quality plot for the last two seasons if they didn’t want to have to write the rest of the story. 

Shitting all over a great story, paying no attention to detail, and having the characters act with no sense or reason for the last two seasons is not a point in their favor. 

• Like 1

Yes, but also how was the dragon hit?  Imagine bird hunting with a .22 caliber instead of a bird shot shotgun.  Then imagine you are on a ship on the water. Loving and down with the waves.  Then imagine it is a large spear that has to be perfectly strait and fletched to fly strait.  And then make it a small moving target half a mile away.

So three direct hits were pretty good, right?

Euron is the Lee Harvey Oswald of ballistas...

There is plenty of blame to go around (and who the fuck cares who's fault it is anyway?) 

ALL of them fucked it up. They are going to have to pull one hell of a 4th quarter comeback to even get back in the game let alone win the fucker. 

I am a glass half full guy so hoping they pulled their heads out of their asses but am losing hope like everyone else. At this point I am really hoping whatever way they chose to end it is at least in some way satisfying.

Those cross bows apparently take no time to reload, have limitless amo, 360 degree ability to aim in any direction and can be shot around mountains. Unless they drastically depart the showing from last episode, Cersei’s tech is impossible for the other army to overcome 

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

D&D have known for years George wouldn’t finish. HBO has a basically unlimited budget for this show. They could’ve hired some other fantasy writers to help them put together a quality plot for the last two seasons if they didn’t want to have to write the rest of the story. 

Shitting all over a great story, paying no attention to detail, and having the characters act with no sense or reason for the last two seasons is not a point in their favor. 

I certainly don't count that part of it as a point in their favor; as I said, they suck at writing original-ish material.   But I think the task is much harder than you give it credit for.   Hell, the Lost guys were excellent at creating original episodes, giving some of the best TV moments I've ever seen (as Derka recounts, and also Lindleoff with The Leftovers), and they had a bunch of bullshit in there and were unable to carry it through to the end.  We'll likely never know if GRRM himself could finish this, because he's apparently too paralyzed by fear to even try.

Yeah, there are tons of obvious problems this season that could have been easily fixable.   The writers are also wrapping up a ton of story lines, keeping the plot moving, and still providing some great moments here and there.  You bring in good fantasy writers, you may get some great fantasy logic, but you also may lose some watchability.   There's great fantasy work out there, but how much of it truly crosses over to have mass appeal to non-fantasy audiences, while maintaining deep quality and adaptability to the screen?    Tolkein and GRRM and who else?  It's fucking hard to do.

Hell, books 4 and 5 from GRRM are a slog.  He needed an editor to cut them in half and combine them to make them as good as any of books 1-3, but instead got bogged down in some pretty boring shit.   D&D actually made a few big improvements to a couple of storylines, which I won't get into on the non-book thread, but the point being that it's extremely hard to get the balance right. 

I wish D&D were capable, but IMO it's GRRM who wrote the checks he couldn't cash here.  And worst of all, he refuses to try. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking of going back and re-watching it from the beginning so I can enjoy it one more time before these last few episodes ruin it forever.

I don't follow online threads except for this one and the bookfags one, (having also read the books), so I'm not too worried about spoilering it.

The Kong's Island and Starbuck's scenes are pretty disappointing.

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Those cross bows apparently take no time to reload, have limitless amo, 360 degree ability to aim in any direction and can be shot around mountains. Unless they drastically depart the showing from last episode, Cersei’s tech is impossible for the other army to overcome 

Apparently, they can just shoot through the damn mountain.

1 hour ago, DoobieWah said:

I'm thinking of going back and re-watching it from the beginning so I can enjoy it one more time before these last few episodes ruin it forever.

I don't follow online threads except for this one and the bookfags one, (having also read the books), so I'm not too worried about spoilering it.

The Kong's Island and Starbuck's scenes are pretty disappointing.

The coffee cup scene is unbelievably sloppy but I didn’t see it live and if it wasn’t pointed out to me I’d have no idea it happened. 

Just came here to say this show managed to ruin 4 good seasons and 3 mediocre seasons in only 4 episodes.  Shocking considering how dumb Dan and Dave are - but they really managed to completely suck the life out of this show for me.  Don't really give a fuck who dies now, don't care who ends up on the throne, etc.  

Edited by krevo
  • Like 1

I just watched last night and haven't read all of the posts here yet, but I've read enough to see that "you don't kill people at a parley, and not even Cersei would violate that sacred protocol" is an oft-cited explanation for why Tyrion (and everyone else of note) didn't take a scorpion bolt through the thorax. 

If that explanation for this particularly glaring failure by the writers holds any water whatsoever, can someone please explain why was Missandei beheaded? 

13 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I just watched last night and haven't read all of the posts here yet, but I've read enough to see that "you don't kill people at a parley, and not even Cersei would violate that sacred protocol" is an oft-cited explanation for why Tyrion (and everyone else of note) didn't take a scorpion bolt through the thorax. 

If that explanation for this particularly glaring failure by the writers holds any water whatsoever, can someone please explain why was Missandei beheaded? 

Cersei just forgot she was in a parley

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

There were like 4 other scenes that made absolutely no sense to me and that was definitely one of them.  Of any character that would violate that sacred protocol (blowing up innocent people at a religious trial) it would be Cersei.  There's no getting around why she didn't shoot them or at least kill Tyrion.  If that wasn't in the plans - skip that whole bullshit scene and find another way to let Dany know that her personal assistant is dead.

Edited by krevo

19 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

this is a woman who blew up the cept and thousands of innocent people.  she doesn't give a fuck about decorum. she's handed a gift to end the war and instead decides to chop off the head of some nameless stranger.  nothing anyone has done or is doing this season makes any sense to anyone, not even the writers.

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread