Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

11 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

It’s going to get worse, not better. Just prepare yourself. D&D think they are smarter than everyone else and have some clever ending cooked up that the plebes will enjoy after we think on D&D’s level. 

The parallels between seasons 7 and 8 and the Star Wars Eps 7-9 are uncanny. No planning in the story arc or where it all ends, ruining characters by going against who they were and what they had learned previously, loss of original writer/creator, etc. 

Yep. Funny how this thread went from dogging on the people who weren’t enjoying this season to nearly everyone realizing how bad it sucks.

I’m going to continue watching because of how many years I spent watching the previous seasons, but this thing isn’t getting any better in the last couple of episodes.

I’m going to be pissed if everyone just believes Jon’s parentage without question and no explanation. Everything that has happened in the 7 kingdoms in the last 25 years was built on a lie and everyone just accepts it. 

Someone needs to at least pull Howland Reed out of hiding and ask him where Ned got that newborn baby. 

15 minutes ago, housious said:

Yep. Funny how this thread went from dogging on the people who weren’t enjoying this season to nearly everyone realizing how bad it sucks.

I’m going to continue watching because of how many years I spent watching the previous seasons, but this thing isn’t getting any better in the last couple of episodes.

I’m still enjoying the hell out of it. It’s still really good TV. I’m more pissed that they’re ruining the ending because they got bored with it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, smuggs said:

^ Same. As sloppy as it's been lately I will be sad to see it go.

I’m hoping the spinoff will be up to par. GRRM said there were 5 ideas pitched, 3 of which got approved. The first is going to be about the initial Targaryen conquest of Westeros. 

7 hours ago, maninblack said:

They really are very weak and it's shit like this that highlight it. 

One thing that has always bugged me is when, for example, Sansa will walk up to someone, say something cute or important and then just walk away - like these people have something better to do all day than have a full conversation.

1 hour ago, heso said:

I’m going to be pissed if everyone just believes Jon’s parentage without question and no explanation. Everything that has happened in the 7 kingdoms in the last 25 years was built on a lie and everyone just accepts it. 

Someone needs to at least pull Howland Reed out of hiding and ask him where Ned got that newborn baby. 

episode 5:  Jon takes a 23&me test.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heso said:

Literally Bran's only purpose for 8 seasons was to validate this truth. But that's not enough?

I think it's pretty clear that D&D came up with a few major events first (Night King gets a dragon!, Jaimie abandons sister! Epic battle at Winterfell!, Dany's BFF gets beheaded, driving her into rage!, etc.), and then forced the story to those points by any means necessary. It's much easier to write a story in that manner: Build up to Big Moment --> Big moment --> Aftermath of Big Moment and transition towards next Big Moment. Rinse and repeat. Fuck nuance.

So Arya is going to kill Cersei anyway, but never thought to support Sansa in the war counsel by saying, "Let the armies rest, and send me. Give me a day or two once I get there to stab a bitch. If you don't have a raven in a fortnight, march away." What are they going to say to the girl who just killed the fucking Night King?

Also, fuck Sansa for immediately putting Jon's life at serious risk. Ned let their Mom think that he was a cheater for his entire life because he understood the gravity of the truth. But Sansa can't wait 3 seconds to tell the biggest mouth in the Kingdom?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, slorch said:

I believe Podrick drank because he laid pipe...as if to say, "Fuck no, not me, but I'm not wastin this drank."

Yeah I wouldn't buy otherwise. The way he pulled those two girls? No virgin has that kind of confidence just to take them to the room for conversation.

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m telling you, Sansa is the new littlefinger. 

She doesn’t want dani, and she knows Jon will refuse but will support her over a Lannister or gendry. Let Tyrion/verys take out Dani, then let jon abdicate and choose her to rule. 

Maybe, but it's not like Dany is putting off good vibes.  Sansa is totally reasonable in being weary.

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

Not Bran.  He's done little more than roll his eyes for the last two seasons.

He did manage to fuck hodor’s life up pretty good through some crazy bill and Ted style time loop where the future has to happen before the past so that it can affect the past. 

3 hours ago, housious said:

3 hours ago, heso said:

I’m still enjoying the hell out of it. It’s still really good TV. I’m more pissed that they’re ruining the ending because they got bored with it. 

This. SO FAR this season has been a failure of their own success. The long wait, how great the series (for the most part) has been, only 6 episodes to tie up a shit ton of story lines, among a ton of other factors has led to people being disappointed.  

All that said they still can finish strong but are (obviously) running out of time. I just really hope they don't pull a Seinfeld. 

this show has become a cliff notes version of itself.  remember when the dialogue scenes were some of the best written material on tv.  tyrion used to steal every scene he was in because of the acting and dialogue.  now it's just a highlight action reel without much substance in between.  even when they have dialogue such as the plan to move south and the warning about the iron fleet, all that shit gets ignored in the highlight reel.  dialogue doesn't even matter anymore.  they want to rush the highlights of action sequences to show who wins the crown.

they fucking gave up any sense of quality. 

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo

Hand to Cersei: I will list everything we know about your forces in detail.

Tyrion: I will list my knowledge of my sister's pregnancies, giving subtle nods even to who the father is.

Everyone else:  No matter these two just exchanged information no one else in the realm could possibly have.  Back to shenanigans.  

6 hours ago, USC Traveler said:

That's definitely part of it.  When you add their lack of talent to their lack of desire to do the show anymore, it's a deadly combination.

These are some quotes from an interview they did after season 6.

https://deadline.com/2016/08/game-of-thrones-david-benioff-d-b-weiss-emmys-interview-1201803698/

This is their excuse for being shitty writers? There is a cure for being a shitty writer, its called "Getting another job, you fucking hacks."

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He did manage to fuck hodor’s life up pretty good through some crazy bill and Ted style time loop where the future has to happen before the past so that it can affect the past. 

That was pretty fucking weak and stupid. Only thing weaker and stupider was Bronn and Jaime's Summer Vacation in Dorne.

13 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Do you really think Jaime believed at any point that Cersei would survive if she lost the war? This is a clear set up for Jaime to help take out Cersei, and he might do it himself. 

Well dany has at times been diplomatic. She had just elevated gendry, she had put aside throne quest to fight the WWs. Considering all the other wtf writing going on, Cersei abdicating and pleading for mercy would be the only way she loses war but lives. Granted not very plausible at all she abdicates but just saying. If anything DD wanted us to think that was at least possible by Tyrion offering it. 

Oh wait, I misread the post I quoted.  My initial reaction was the show wants us to think he flipped but I wouldn’t be surprised if your take that he goes to finish her off (mercifully instead of whatever Dany has planned) is correct or perhaps to convince her to flee before the nukes hit. I think he always knew her death was possible but it’s  one thing to know death comes to us all, quite another to confront it in the immediate future. 

We’re all gonna die one day but if I’m a cunt’s hair away from getting tboned by an out of control 18 wheeler next time I drive past a 4way stop, you can be damn sure I’m pulling over, checking my draws and doing some life evaluating.  Same with Jaime, he knew she might die in the war but Cersei against a mad queen means she most definitely is dead since Dany probably wants her dead as much as she wants the throne...

12 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Well dany has at times been diplomatic. She had just elevated gendry, she had put aside throne quest to fight the WWs. Considering all the other wtf writing going on, Cersei abdicating and pleading for mercy would be the only way she loses war but lives. Granted not very plausible at all she abdicates but just saying. If anything DD wanted us to think that was at least possible by Tyrion offering it. 

Oh wait, I misread the post I quoted.  My initial reaction was the show wants us to think he flipped but I wouldn’t be surprised if your take that he goes to finish her off (mercifully instead of whatever Dany has planned) is correct or perhaps to convince her to flee before the nukes hit. I think he always knew her death was possible but it’s  one thing to know death comes to us all, quite another to confront it in the immediate future. 

We’re all gonna die one day but if I’m a cunt’s hair away from getting tboned by an out of control 18 wheeler next time I drive past a 4way stop, you can be damn sure I’m pulling over, checking my draws and doing some life evaluating.  Same with Jaime, he knew she might die in the war but Cersei against a mad queen means she most definitely is dead since Dany probably wants her dead as much as she wants the throne...

apparently the directors have said he flipped.  I'm anticipating a Euron/Jamie throwdown of some sort.

14 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Jaime knows - as we all do from watching this show for 8 years - that Cersei will never, ever surrender. She literally said in Season 1: "When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die."  

This has nothing to do with Dany's diplomacy. Jaime can't convince her to flee, surrender, or take exile. That is not how her character works or thinks. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

apparently the directors have said he flipped.  I'm anticipating a Euron/Jamie throwdown of some sort.

Piece of advice: Don't believe writers/directors when they tell you something while their story heavily involves deception and plot twists. They want you to think he has "flipped". 

• Like 1

Ease up on the writers and producers for chrissakes. When a series is ending, the top people get offers - often ones they can't refuse. Their spouses are probably bitching at them to get new jobs. They got mortgages and kids in college. Sometimes they have to act while the iron is hot. Meanwhile you've got snotty actors living off their GOT fame who are saying "cut it short."

Aside from the Starbucks cup, they've done a pretty good job of holding it together.

(Agree that Sansa's a shit for betraying Jon's trust). Little bitch is gonna get someone killed.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Watch nobody die...and in the end they all agree that war isn't the answer and agree to take territories and leave each other alone.

Maybe open up a trade market

And the dragon and wolf make babies like in Shrek.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Watch nobody die...and in the end they all agree that war isn't the answer and agree to take territories and leave each other alone.

Maybe open up a trade market

I am pretty checked out now so this would be awesome to see just for the meltdowns people would have

• Like 2

Just now, Zepol87 said:

I am pretty checked out now so this would be awesome to see just for the meltdowns people would have

Hell have Bran re-incarnate the Night King from his Raven form for them to become the first openly gay couple in Westeros. 

• Like 2

Do you not remember what Sansa says? "I wanted to be there to see Cersei get executed, looks like I'm going to miss it."  
That scene is all about the fact that Dany is about to retaliate and wipe Cersei out.

I’m not in the overall hate club, but I think what was an absolutely great show is now a good show. I think you guys are arguing over crappy writing. In the beginning of the series, Martin was able to show character arcs through phenomenal writing - slowly feeding charcter history and motivations. Now, it’s just vague mumbling because D and D don’t know how (or cant) do that and are trying to generate tension.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Ease up on the writers and producers for chrissakes. When a series is ending, the top people get offers - often ones they can't refuse. Their spouses are probably bitching at them to get new jobs. They got mortgages and kids in college. Sometimes they have to act while the iron is hot. Meanwhile you've got snotty actors living off their GOT fame who are saying "cut it short."

Aside from the Starbucks cup, they've done a pretty good job of holding it together.

(Agree that Sansa's a shit for betraying Jon's trust). Little bitch is gonna get someone killed.

Yeah who gives a fuck if they mail in the last 2 seasons, not like anyone has been following this story for 15+ years waiting to see how it finishes.

32 minutes ago, deech said:

Do we just assume it was Sansa who told tyrion?   It wasn't on screen. Could have been Bran or somoene else.  I mean they heavily implied it was her.  

I'm pretty sure it was Stannis.  We didn't actually see him die, so he's probably still alive and is roaming around the North spreading gossip.

Edited by idigTexas
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I'm pretty sure it was Stannis.  We didn't actually see him die, so he's probably still alive and as roaming around the North spreading gossip.

How do we know that was even Stannis? We didn't actually see Syrio die, what if Syrio is a faceless man who assassinated the real Stannis and wore his face to spread the Lord of Light religion to Westeros?  Stannis/Syrio revealed himself to Brienne, so she didn't kill him. Stannis/Syrio is now roaming the North spreading gossip that Jon is the true king in an attempt to sway public opinion to the Lord of Light's chosen ruler.

11 minutes ago, elguapo said:

How do we know that was even Stannis? We didn't actually see Syrio die, what if Syrio is a faceless man who assassinated the real Stannis and wore his face to spread the Lord of Light religion to Westeros?  Stannis/Syrio revealed himself to Brienne, so she didn't kill him. Stannis/Syrio is now roaming the North spreading gossip that Jon is the true king in an attempt to sway public opinion to the Lord of Light's chosen ruler.

Awesome post.  Some folk's "loose ends," which are not loose ends at all, will not be resolved no matter what happens.    

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread