2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

Some say he's a better pitmaster than E-Rob...

EAPtp-UXkAE7_z2?format=jpg&name=large

The Pit Master I believe you're thinking was Terry Price, not E-Rob. And since Terry Price is dead, that's a low bar. 

It's hard to tell in that pic, but is he smoking a joint, or is that just some trick of the coloring/shrub behind him?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

been looking for articles from him being hired with the dolphins or switching to WKU that can at least shine some light on things or make it look better and i don't see shit out there beyond pretty basic press releases

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

The Pit Master I believe you're thinking was Terry Price, not E-Rob. And since Terry Price is dead, that's a low bar. 

It's hard to tell in that pic, but is he smoking a joint, or is that just some trick of the coloring/shrub behind him?

shrub

image.png.c4f8df1821bd69acb7a737a42d96fa43.png

• Hook 'Em 1

The wild part about this hire to me is that there is no evidence, literally zero, that this dude has any business being relied upon as a recruiter at a school like Texas. We are taking it on pure faith that he can contribute there, and so is Sarkisian. "He was amazing in recruiting at Berry/Mercer/Chattanooga/WKU, so you know he'll be awesome at Texas!" Right. "Trust the coaches" is fine and all, but that's usually based in some sort of obvious rationale that the coaches are using. On this one, Sarkisian is just saying "fuck it, I bet he's up for the task". 

This dude is recruiting big bodied badasses against Bates, Bo Davis, Roach, Larry Johnson, Tosh Lupoi and Trey Scott. This is going to be awesome.

• Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, I guess you can still call Terry Price a pit master.*

*save a comfy seat for me in hell

Edited by South Austin
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Got my A&M coaches mixed up, that being said I prefer not to joke at the expense of the deceased so I'll take back my comment. 

also thats definitely a shrub

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, closetojumping said:

The wild part about this hire to me is that there is no evidence, literally zero, that this dude has any business being relied upon as a recruiter at a school like Texas. We are taking it on pure faith that he can contribute there, and so is Sarkisian. "He was amazing in recruiting at Berry/Mercer/Chattanooga/WKU, so you know he'll be awesome at Texas!" Right. "Trust the coaches" is fine and all, but that's usually based in some sort of obvious rationale that the coaches are using. On this one, Sarkisian is just saying "fuck it, I bet he's up for the task". 

This dude is recruiting big bodied badasses against Bates, Bo Davis, Roach, Larry Johnson, Tosh Lupoi and Trey Scott. This is going to be awesome.

My first thoughts exactly. The biggest place he coached in college was Western fucking Kentucky. And he can't even point to an NFL developmental track record. Somebody needs to get the Texas One Fund on speed dial. 

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If they buddy him up with an ex-NFL analyst to bring him up as a coach for the first few years, this could be a great hire. 

Frankly, the resume isn't that different from Choice at the same point, and uh.....that's worked out. 

Counterpoint, USC wanted Choice as well, so that definitely helped his case I'm sure.

That being said I don't feel one way or another on this hire. I hope he works out, but I see no data points to attest that it will. Hope for the best but expecting the worst.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Idk that this is true, though. He's coaching the DL at the senior bowl and has a relatively significant social following among players despite coaching at WKU and off-field in Miami. I understand the assumption in the absence of evidence, but I'd guess there's something out there to give better context for the hire

• Hook 'Em 2

This has stench of having all your chips on Rod Wright, only to have him turn you down, and the going "Oh fuuuuuuuck." This dude makes Rod Wright look like Dick LeBeau. 

Couldn't give Frank Okam a call? At least he's an alum, and did well at Baylor. Fuck. 

Beyond not being able to rationalize this, I have a hard time thinking this could be anything other than "Well, I liked him on the phone interview we had..."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Idk that this is true, though. He's coaching the DL at the senior bowl and has a relatively significant social following among players despite coaching at WKU and off-field in Miami. I understand the assumption in the absence of evidence, but I'd guess there's something out there to give better context for the hire

I've seen several media talking heads, not just Texas ones, refer to him as a "top up and coming coach." I don't know how that's quantified but he seems well regarded?

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

This has stench of having all your chips on Rod Wright, only to have him turn you down, and the going "Oh fuuuuuuuck." This dude makes Rod Wright look like Dick LeBeau. 

Couldn't give Frank Okam a call? At least he's an alum, and did well at Baylor. Fuck. 

Beyond not being able to rationalize this, I have a hard time thinking this could be anything other than "Well, I liked him on the phone interview we had..."

I was about to say, this dude must have knocked the interview out of the park. 

Maybe we did a phone interview with Ogre and without a translator present it was unintelligible. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Got my A&M coaches mixed up, that being said I prefer not to joke at the expense of the deceased so I'll take back my comment. 

also thats definitely a shrub

As you can see, I have no problems joking at the expense of the deceased. 

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If they buddy him up with an ex-NFL analyst to bring him up as a coach for the first few years, this could be a great hire. 

Frankly, the resume isn't that different from Choice at the same point, and uh.....that's worked out. 

We'd have been better off getting the guy back Chaote took to Nevada, or some other on the field spot, who at least had a great rapport with the kids on campus and seemed like an up and comer. Technically *any* hire COULD be a great hire, but there's little here to even wishcast, it's just straight hope.

And comparing this hire to Choice is bullshit. For starters, Choice was already at a more major college than Western Kentucky. Second, Choice played in major college and in the NFL, which has an appeal/story to kids. Third, recruiting is arguably the most important part of a RB coaches job, and that means personality and charisma. That is NOT the fucking case at DL coaching. At all.

Also, I just realized your first point is rather absurd as well. "Well, lets hire another NFL analyst to teach him how to coach and in a few years he'll be a great hire! Come the fuck on, this sounds like the people advocating that for fucking Bryan Carrington. "Just teach him to coach guys!"

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Choice was RBs coach at Georgia Tech for three years before coming to Texas. This dude has never been a DL coach at a P5 school. Pretty big difference.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

I've seen several media talking heads, not just Texas ones, refer to him as a "top up and coming coach." I don't know how that's quantified but he seems well regarded?

Dolphins finished 3rd in sacks, 3rd in pressures,, tied for 4th in rush ypc allowed, 5th in rushing yards given up

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Then link them. I've seen just the quote on Zentiz's twitter, or whatever the fuck his name is, and googling Kenny Baker NFL or Kenny Baker Coach turns up barely fucking anything, no list on hot coaching articles, etc. Dude doesn't even have a wiki page. It's like Baker's got friends in every town and village from here to the Sudan, he speaks a dozen languages, knows every local custom, he'll blend in, disappear, you'll never see him again on the internet. 

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Choice was RBs coach at Georgia Tech for three years before coming to Texas. This dude has never been a DL coach at a P5 school. Pretty big difference.

Well, good news everyone, at least someone is happy with this hire. 

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

to be fair when i first posted i thought he had spent more than A single year in the NFL

doing some digging on who could have recommended him.

2022 WKU coaching staff:

Tyson Helton was part of his brothers staff, who was at USC after Sark was fired. don't see any ties between the DCs at WKU in 20-22 and the PK/Sark trees.

Spoiler

image.png.9867026a5e384b26325ccd0931bd1ddc.png

dolphins coaching staff: https://www.miamidolphins.com/team/coaches-roster/

DL coach has some USC ties but not until 2017 i think.

as far as i can tell, the only guy with clear ties is the dolphins LB coach, who has ties to Flood via Rutgers: https://www.miamidolphins.com/team/coaches-roster/anthony-campanile-x1381

Flood was there 05-15, Anthony Campanile was a player at Rutgers from 01-04, student assistant in 05, HS coach for 6 years, then was a coach at rutgers for 4 years (12-15)

don't see any other connections out there.

everyone is going to want to compare to Jackson's coaching pre Texas, and coaching at a position where the scheme impacts recruiting significantly more - but he was a NFL coach for 3 full years post playing career.

image.png.2144fc12cdfa2b7d7daf5819b4f2dab3.png

16 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

what?

Choice coaching career, who was very highly thought of as a recruiter and developer pre Texas.

image.png.c5072c0ab3e6bb453286ae8853a32a06.png

----------------

this seems like they had zeroed in on Rod Wright. DeMeco Ryans then got rid of the Texans DL coach and will be bumping up Rod. which is hard to turn down, understandably.

Edited by NoName

9 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

i spent like ten min looking for glowing articles about him when he was hired at WKU, promoted at WKU or when he left WKU to go to the Dolphins and found literally zero of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

13 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Get the fuck out of here with your reaching on this. Comparing him to Tashard Choice:

-Choice played big CFB at OU and Ga Tech

-Choice played for years in the NFL, establishing his bonafides further

-Choice spent 3 years recruiting in the SE for a P5 team, and scored multiple skins on the wall in the process

In short, Choice checks every box that a coach or recruit would want to see for a role like TB coach at Texas. It is silly bullshit to claim any comparison whatsoever to this Baker guy. Rationalize it in your mind to make yourself feel better, but spare the spin here. 

Regarding "better context"? Wright didn't want to leave Houston and doesn't like recruiting. Davis left. Orgeron decided it was a "no" for him. They needed someone. This dude was rec'd by people that Sarkisian trusts and he interviewed well. That's great and all, but there is zero, ZERO, evidence to point to this guy being an excellent recruiter at this level. That doesn't mean he won't be, but the only viable rationale for it has already been stated - Sarkisian has a good feeling about his ability to do it.

11 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

That shit is said about every coach hired at a new place unless they had prior scandal attached to them. Language like that is not a data point.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We'd have been better off getting the guy back Chaote took to Nevada, or some other on the field spot, who at least had a great rapport with the kids on campus and seemed like an up and comer. Technically *any* hire COULD be a great hire, but there's little here to even wishcast, it's just straight hope.

And comparing this hire to Choice is bullshit. For starters, Choice was already at a more major college than Western Kentucky. Second, Choice played in major college and in the NFL, which has an appeal/story to kids. Third, recruiting is arguably the most important part of a RB coaches job, and that means personality and charisma. That is NOT the fucking case at DL coaching. At all.

Also, I just realized your first point is rather absurd as well. "Well, lets hire another NFL analyst to teach him how to coach and in a few years he'll be a great hire! Come the fuck on, this sounds like the people advocating that for fucking Bryan Carrington. "Just teach him to coach guys!"

First, I'd prefer to not be angry about the hire for the next 8 months of offseason, so yes, I'm looking for sunshine. 

On Choice, if we're talking about coaching resume, idk how y'all are positioning GT as some sort of coaching incubator that differentiates it from WKU in any capacity at all. Choice does have more athletic accolades, and agreed it helps recruit, but doesn't differentiate a coaching resume. 

Carrington was never a coach. Again, I'm looking for sunshine, but pairing experienced coaches that don't want to recruit with young ones that do is literally an extension of Alabama's analyst strategy. Placating Bryan fucking Carrington is not remotely similar. 

• Hook 'Em 5

For anyone cares, and I know most of you sickos do, the OTF thread has some videos linked of some of his interviews at Western Kentucky or somewhere, where you can see his personality.

https://ontexasfootball.com/forums/topic/145-dl-coach-update-has-texas-found-their-man-thurs-1102-am/#comment-1396

Some of yall came come back here and let me know what you think, because I'm not watching that shit. 

This is 100% about getting an in with D-line recruits from the Atlanta area, which has a knack for producing some good ones. This guy is from there and recruited plenty of guys from there to WKU. And the NFL experience is an even bigger plus. Whole lot of stupid in this thread. I think it’s a great hire. 

Edited by Helobious

With Jackson, we only needed a guy that could handle the personalities in the wr and of course develop. Recruiting wr at Texas with Sark as its coach is pretty easy, and you could see Jackson’s Development angle in the NFL. There isn’t a whole lot of data for Baker in any of those directions. This is a pretty big gamble from Sark imo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I think this calls for a fan cock-block.  What's the banner fund up to these days?

Hahaha. I am excited by this hire, personally. It's pure fucking chaos and it's going to force people into positions that make everyone a little uncomfortable. None of us know shit about him and there isn't a lot of meat on the bone when it comes to his dossier. We're speculating, handwringing, sunshine pumping and fingerpointing already. Outstanding.

I hope this guy crushes it. I don't even dislike the hire, but that's mostly because I knew options had whithered away so some risk was going to be involved. Now we get a guy that presents board chaos? Fucking yes. 

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

to be fair when i first posted i thought he had spent more than A single year in the NFL

doing some digging on who could have recommended him.

2022 WKU coaching staff:

Tyson Helton was part of his brothers staff, who was at USC after Sark was fired. don't see any ties between the DCs at WKU in 20-22 and the PK/Sark trees.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.9867026a5e384b26325ccd0931bd1ddc.png

dolphins coaching staff: https://www.miamidolphins.com/team/coaches-roster/

DL coach has some USC ties but not until 2017 i think.

as far as i can tell, the only guy with clear ties is the dolphins LB coach, who has ties to Flood via Rutgers: https://www.miamidolphins.com/team/coaches-roster/anthony-campanile-x1381

Flood was there 05-15, Anthony Campanile was a player at Rutgers from 01-04, student assistant in 05, HS coach for 6 years, then was a coach at rutgers for 4 years (12-15)

everyone is going to want to compare to Jackson's coaching pre Texas, and coaching at a position where the scheme impacts recruiting significantly more - but he was a NFL coach for 3 full years post playing career.

image.png.2144fc12cdfa2b7d7daf5819b4f2dab3.png

what?

Choice coaching career, who was very highly thought of as a recruiter and developer pre Texas.

image.png.c5072c0ab3e6bb453286ae8853a32a06.png

This is silly noise. Qualified people rec'd him. The bottom line is that Sarkisian interviewed him and thought him a winner. No one needs to read the bowels of potential random connections that could have led to that interview. The simplest connection is that Nagy likes the guy and passed his name on to Sarkisian, but who really fucking cares?

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

First, I'd prefer to not be angry about the hire for the next 8 months of offseason, so yes, I'm looking for sunshine. 

On Choice, if we're talking about coaching resume, idk how y'all are positioning GT as some sort of coaching incubator that differentiates it from WKU in any capacity at all. Choice does have more athletic accolades, and agreed it helps recruit, but doesn't differentiate a coaching resume. 

Carrington was never a coach. Again, I'm looking for sunshine, but pairing experienced coaches that don't want to recruit with young ones that do is literally an extension of Alabama's analyst strategy. Placating Bryan fucking Carrington is not remotely similar. 

You should have stopped after your first sentence. That's fine, and folks would get that.

You're literally comparing Ga. Tech to Western Kentcuky. Ga Tech has won a national title in my lifetime. Now do western kentucky. While we're add it, lets compare which confrence they're in, number of draft picks they've put into the NFL, etc. Recruiting is arguably the most important aspect of being a RB coach, and you just admitted that having better accolades and a resume help recruit, but that it doesn't differentiate his ability to be a more effective coach? "Sure it helps recruit, and we all know recruiting is super important at the RB position, but it doesn't matter." That doesn't pass the smell test, dude.

Yes, carrington was never a coach. But people advocating TEACHING him to coach. You're advocating hiring an NFL analyist to teach this guy to fucking coach. Those were your words. Yes, you're looking for sunshine, but just admit that the reaching you're doing to get there is beyond absurd. You said pair him with an analyst who doesn't want to recruit, ie, get a real coach to teach, and you're somehow shocked that people are responding do that by suggesting maybe if you have to do that, it wasn't a great fucking hire?

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2