2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I assume Bo and Tashard will be getting raises.

I assume Sark and most will be getting raises. I think we can money-whip Choate and beat back a Boise State. I think that would be the smart move for him too. My guess is he eventually leaves for an ACC/Big 12 type head coaching gig.

2 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

I assume Sark and most will be getting raises. I think we can money-whip Choate and beat back a Boise State. I think that would be the smart move for him too. My guess is he eventually leaves for an ACC/Big 12 type head coaching gig.

I assume Boise pays HC 2-3.5 million. No way we match that. 

if he was to take that job who would our top LB coach prospects be? I do know I trust dark in staff acquisition. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Scouring some Boise St boards: seems like their “insiders” feel that the only reason Choate wouldn’t take that job is because he’s offended he wasn’t picked over Avalos a few years ago. But the job seems to be either Choate or the interim guy.   

Some there are pining for Kellen Moore….

Edited by horny_gunman
Can’t spell for shit
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/29/2023 at 3:19 PM, horny_gunman said:

I think that for Choate, it’s more about being a HC again and going back to the mountains. I should think staying at UT gives him a better P5 opportunity, and probably after some of realignment dust dies settles 

I don't agree. Being a LB coach is not going to get him P5 opportunities as a head coach. 

He's gonna have to win somewhere like Nevada. 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Probably as good a time as any for that spot to be in transition.  We should be a very attractive a spot for a new LB coach plus attractive depth chart would mean they get a chance to bring in some guys that burnish the resume.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The Choater has done an amazing job here. Good for him moving up. People dogged him that first year but I can't remember when we've had better lb play. The development with Ford and Gbenda specifically has been outstanding.  I imagine he's going to be tough to replace. 

Great coach, happy for him and wish him the best.  That's the second coach that's gotten a promotion under Sark at Texas. 

Linebackers improved a ton and have a great batch of guys waiting in the wings 

Hopefully no one else this year.  

For those in the know, anyone in particular to target?

3 minutes ago, Acropora said:

Great coach, happy for him and wish him the best.  That's the second coach that's gotten a promotion under Sark at Texas. 

Linebackers improved a ton and have a great batch of guys waiting in the wings 

Hopefully no one else this year.  

For those in the know, anyone in particular to target?

Does Sark get credit for Stan Drayton? 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

My understanding is that Sarkisian has his eyes on an old defensive guru with a ton of LB coaching experience. He’s very, very tanned, relaxed and ready. He can recruit like a motherfucker. Just don’t ask him to handle administrative tasks or coin flip decisions. 

Damn you 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He’s very, very tanned, relaxed and ready. He can recruit like a motherfucker. Just don’t ask him to handle administrative tasks or coin flip decisions.

A little racist

Does he try to sneak Mike Stoops in again?

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My understanding is that Sarkisian has his eyes on an old defensive guru with a ton of LB coaching experience. He’s very, very tanned, relaxed and ready. He can recruit like a motherfucker. Just don’t ask him to handle administrative tasks or coin flip decisions. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well hiring disgraced former Louisville coaches that was once your HC as a coordinator is in these days. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Andy Avalos is probably going to be a name brought up. Coached DL under PK at Boise before moving to LB coach and then DC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Avalos

I thought Avalos was being considered for other DC spots?  As long as the replacement can also recruit with Choate’s energy, make it happen! 

2 minutes ago, horny_gunman said:

I thought Avalos was being considered for other DC spots?  As long as the replacement can also recruit with Choate’s energy, make it happen! 

Wouldn't surprise me. He just seems like a logical candidate and has history with PK like Choate did.

I guess another option could be to move the edge position under Bo Davis. Then you hire a LB coach and PK is just DC with no position group assigned to him. But that would require some moving pieces and might be unconventional. 

23 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Andy Avalos is probably going to be a name brought up. Coached DL under PK at Boise before moving to LB coach and then DC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Avalos

This is some good wishcasting, but Avalos has been a DC since 2016. It’s extremely unlikely he falls all the way back to LB coach. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Wouldn't surprise me. He just seems like a logical candidate and has history with PK like Choate did.

I guess another option could be to move the edge position under Bo Davis. Then you hire a LB coach and PK is just DC with no position group assigned to him. But that would require some moving pieces and might be unconventional. 

Ikaika Malloe is another former UW associate of PK. Coaches the heck out of the DL and EDGE at UW and UCLA.  Seems able to recruit the west coast and may bring/keep Polynesian ties.  In all honesty, this seemed to be a matter of when for Choate, so Sark and PK likely have their guy ready.  JUST NO FREAKING STOOPS!

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Levi said:

So I guess co-DC wouldn’t do it either? 

Doubtful. Maybe he doesn’t get any good DC offers and we can moneywhip him, but he was DC at Oregon before taking the Boise job. Someone will likely offer him a solid DC job, and a meaningless co-DC tag at Texas won’t overcome that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1