2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

Keep in mind Chryst was FUPM's OC choice, after Boom talked the big dogs into forcing Mack to fire Greg Davis. Boom wanted Holgorsen, but they felt so sorry for making Mack fire his bestest buddy that they let him have his choice. Chryst visited, saw the lay of the land, got an offer, and went home to Wiscy and never called back. Asked wha' hoppened, he simply said "A fish rots from the head down." Mack settled for Harsin, but put him under The Maje. We all know how that turned out.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I agree. I don’t think he’s a bad offensive mind at all. He’d also be a great culture fit. 

People have raved about his contributions to the Texas brain trust around the program. 

Dude knows O-line (as does Ferentz), knows the Big 10 culture and recruiting territory, had offenses that were pretty similar to what Ferentz likes to do, and undoubtedly picked up some ideas on explosiveness while he was here.

It is a huge upgrade for Iowa. Iowa also always seems to find productive RBs and certainly TEs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Asked wha' hoppened, he simply said "A fish rots from the head down." Mack settled for Harsin, but put him under The Maje. We all know how that turned out.

Mack was the problem, though. Whatever you think of Major, he was extremely frustrated by Mack’s unwillingness to listen and work hard. (See: comment I made yesterday on the UW game thread)

15 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

From OC at Texas to QB coach at Cal. That's quite a career decline. 

you left out like fifty hilarious stops for him in between - followed Charlie to USF, then 1 year at McNeese at 7-5, then to SYR where he was fired lol

image.png.1a8ed430e8915d192f1388c4d693290d.png

and his wiki also has some hilarious bits in it:

image.png.e32acd4b8eb2c5266fa5582de976f468.png

13 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Wisconsin should have never fired Chryst in the first place.  He was 42-18 in Big 10 play.  A school has to know its limitations. 

they were an absolute totally and complete shitshow recruiting wise in back of house.

they didn't have a recruiting department for a while, literally. 0 employees.

https://theathletic.com/3661745/2022/10/06/paul-chryst-fired-wisconsin-jim-leonhard/

“The lack of recruiting department hurt that heavily,” said another source familiar with Wisconsin’s recruiting. “They probably would’ve had Jimmy Rolder.”

It’s a prime example of Wisconsin’s recruiting department issues last year, when Chryst went more than eight months with what amounted to a makeshift staff. It began in June 2021 after Wisconsin director of player personnel Saeed Khalif accepted a position to lead recruiting efforts at Michigan State just as the NCAA dead period ended to allow on-campus visits. At the height of Khalif’s tenure, he had four full-time members on his staff and was down to two at the end due, in part, to budget cuts related to the pandemic.

Chryst did not immediately revamp the unit because he said the bulk of the work already had been done on the 2022 recruiting class, and he wanted to ensure he made the right hire. He moved Eric Johnson, already on Wisconsin’s staff as executive director of football administration, over to spearhead recruiting. Johnson had previously spent 15 seasons in coaching and recruiting roles at Iowa, although his last season of involvement there was 2013.

As recruiting staffs across the country bulked up — Khalif said in August 2021 he had 12 people in his department at Michigan State, while Penn State currently lists 10 — Chryst stood pat. His decision to wait until after the season in February, when he put tight ends coach Mickey Turner in charge of recruiting and bolstered the staff, appeared to set progress back.

“With Wisconsin and the way that they recruit, they’ve never been a school that does a lot of recruiting with bells and whistles,” said Allen Trieu, a Midwest football recruiting analyst for 247Sports. “They do what they do and they have success with it.

“So on one hand, I thought it was a little bit odd that they didn’t fill the position. On another hand, because it was Wisconsin, doing this internally and working with the people they had was very fitting to the way that they have generally approached recruiting.”

+

Another recruiting source said that, because Wisconsin’s department was so understaffed, those tasked with tracking and interacting with recruits during home football games weren’t provided with lists of which players would be attending. That’s how Jimmy Rolder slipped through the cracks when he visited campus with a high school teammate.

showing that they knew they screwed up:

Chryst eventually brought in a staff of eight people, many of whom were in their first season in a recruiting department. Wisconsin had signed its three best recruiting classes during the online ranking era from 2019-21, the last of which ranked No. 16 in the 247Sports Composite and featured six four- or five-star players.

+

He never fired an assistant during his time in charge.

24 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

Hard to pick a single "most embarrassing moment" from this past decade; but that one has got to be a contender. 

Not even sure that makes my top 10. 

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sweet tangent. I'll play. 

Contenders:

-Losing to Kansas

-Losing to Kansas again

-TCU buttfucking Texas in public to the tune of 50-7

-Pussies crying on live television begging Texas not to fire Chuckles after a 3rd season of complete ineptitude

-Flying the school brass to Tulsa to land a 3rd rate OC

-Tom Herman and the sledgehammer

-Tom Herman flipping the ESPN cameras off

-Arkansas 2021 - Not SEC good enough as a chorus across the media

-The Eyes debacle during the pandemic

-Shithead Najee Harris "Who Texas?"

-Shutout at Iowa State

-Being up 28-7 on OU and then bending over and showing us

Oh man, so many good ones from which to choose. 

First, fuck you on general principle for forcibly dragging all of us over broken glass.

You forgot:

Not being able to call a fucking coin flip
Everything related to Steve Patterson
Tom Herman mocking an opposing player on the sideline of a bowl game
Having Sean Watson being in the employee of UT and his salary paid with our donations. Which leads me to:
Losing to Arkansas in a bowl game in Houston 7-31 where we had 59 yards of total offense. 
Tom Herman calling up Noah Cain on NSD and telling him NOT to commit to Texas.
Losing to Maryland
Losing to Maryland again with an interim coach on the job for a month AND after the previous coach had killed a guy
Tom Herman literally crying on the sideline losing to Maryland

I could keep going but this is getting too depressing. Someone else can take up this baton of detrius. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Rage+1 8

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Contenders:

-Losing to Kansas

-Losing to Kansas again

-Pussies crying on live television begging Texas not to fire Chuckles after a 3rd season of complete ineptitude

-Shutout at Iowa State

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

First, fuck you on general principle for forcibly dragging all of us over broken glass.

You forgot:

Having Sean Watson being in the employee of UT and his salary paid with our donations. Which leads me to:
Losing to Arkansas in a bowl game in Houston 7-31 where we had 59 yards of total offense. 
Honestly, I could keep going but I don't want to think about it anymore. 
Losing to Maryland
Losing to Maryland again with an interim coach on the job for a month AND after the previous coach had killed a guy

I could keep going but this is getting too depressing. Someone else can take up this baton of detrius. 

Let It All Out GIF by Peloton

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You forgot:

Losing to Maryland

Specifically that fat fuck Bert calling the asswhipping borderline erotic

I'll throw in 2015 OSU because that was probably the worst a game has made me feel

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You forgot:

Losing to Maryland

This reminds me of one of my favorites, of anything, ever:

-Watching an entire fanbase, for an entire offseason, talk themselves into believing that Shawn Watson really was "changing the offense" only to see the same shit trotted out there against Notre Dame as they pummeled Texas on national television and we continued to be a national laughingstock. 

I argued the entire offseason that that shitsack was not changing a fucking thing and everyone was being delusional for taking Charley at his word on that. Once I got past the misery of the Irish embarrassment, I ran amok on 247 and, I think, Shaggy, where a bunch of dipshits had swallowed the company line hook, line and sinker. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, closetojumping said:

This reminds me of one of my favorites, of anything, ever:

-Watching an entire fanbase, for an entire offseason, talk themselves into believing that Shawn Watson really was "changing the offense" only to see the same shit trotted out there against Notre Dame as they pummeled Texas on national television and we continued to be a national laughingstock. 

I argued the entire offseason that that shitsack was not changing a fucking thing and everyone was being delusional for taking Charley at his word on that. Once I got past the misery of the Irish embarrassment, I ran amok on 247 and, I think, Shaggy, where a bunch of dipshits had swallowed the company line hook, line and sinker. 

I went to the ER that night.  Not one of my finer moments.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RollingPresidential said:

The Charlie Strong stuff was happening while I was in law school taking critical race theory. Heady times. I was a very aggressive defender of his that he didn't deserve.

There are a mountain of things to criticize from that imbecile's reign of error at Texas and the majority are legitimate and have absolutely nothing to do with skin color or any other hot button issue in our culture. The guy was just overwhelmed with the role and the whole period was a debacle from beginning to end. Board behavior during those 3 years was quite absurd and I don't think any Texas fan can look back on that period fondly.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

The Charlie Strong stuff was happening while I was in law school taking critical race theory. Heady times. I was a very aggressive defender of his that he didn't deserve.

CRT + Charlie Strong is something no one deserves.

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Contenders:

-Losing to Kansas

-Losing to Kansas again

-Shutout at Iowa State

- Maryland 2 was the angriest I've ever been as a fan

- Related: Malcom Roach middle linebacker hype

- Taysom Hill

- Nick Rose extra point

- Arkansas bowl game

- Mike Yurcich QB room fiasco 

- 2020 Duggan scramble -> Keaontay fumble

• Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Keep in mind Chryst was FUPM's OC choice, after Boom talked the big dogs into forcing Mack to fire Greg Davis. Boom wanted Holgorsen, but they felt so sorry for making Mack fire his bestest buddy that they let him have his choice. Chryst visited, saw the lay of the land, got an offer, and went home to Wiscy and never called back. Asked wha' hoppened, he simply said "A fish rots from the head down." Mack settled for Harsin, but put him under The Maje. We all know how that turned out.

In hindsight now, I can admit that Holgorson would've probably been the best OC hire after the 2010 season. But I've always liked the Harsin/Chris Petersen/Boise St. Offense & definitely still feel that Harsin was the superior OC hire over Chryst.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

9 minutes ago, Richter said:

That Charlie Strong coached game where Ok State blocked three extra points in a half and took one of them back to the house has got to be on the list.

We should have fired him after that game.  Would have saved a lot of pain and it was about as clear of proof as you needed that it wasn't going to work out.

It’s Christmas, Texas is in the CFP with a damned good staff and a fair chance of winning it all, and yet this board is playing the part of my brain at 2:30 in the morning dredging up every dumbfuck thing I’ve ever said or done. 

Why not throw in losing to Rice, inability to punt protect against NC State, or being Rashan Salaam’s Heisman bitch, too? Or a drizzly day in Dallas? Or a cold as fuck day in Dallas? This is fun. 

• Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

Even though I feel like I started this awful tangent with an offhand comment about the Cal President flying in to secure Gilbert, I'm tempted to start a masochist thread in the football board as an attempt to quarantine all this shit. The fucking Ewers thread on the football board devolved into a discussion of the Colorado 2001 CCG for fuck's sake. Let's get a grip. Things haven't been this good for Texas football since right before Colt got his shoulder mangled against Bama. Oh wait... fuck.... got damnit.... 

can we split all this retrospective bitching about shit into a complain about the pre-sark years thread ? 

adding a few of my own that haven't been mentioned 

- mismanaging our backup QBs to the point of them never throwing live game passes and being totally unprepared 

- knee jerk changing our entire offense to a run down hill offense we didn't have the players for , and effectively removing our built in high school farm factory for what has turned into basically the way all modern offenses work 

- allowing entire staffs of b league coaches to be hired 

- being unwilling to fire shitty coaches 

- wasting and under developing talent 

- under recruiting on the offensive line was offensive 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

Hiring an assistant from the Baylor Rape Squad.

excuse me, he was only an analyst! he was the acting special teams coach who was only an analyst since i assume that's all Tom could get him

now the DC at Westwood

as a reminder her was Tom Herman on hiring him: https://www.burntorangenation.com/2017/1/20/14338728/tom-herman-casey-horny-hire-defense-texas-longhorns

The good news in this is that Herman said Horny recognizes his mistakes.

"He had some uninformed and regrettable tweets that he's apologized for, and I'm fully confident that he is in alignment with what our vision is at the University of Texas and will prove to be a very valuable member to our staff. And we've moved on,” Herman said.

+

"He was vetted very rigorously through the athletic department and also myself and my relationship with him," Herman said. "Of course, I knew that the vetting process would come up; was nothing that would deter us from hiring him.”

Edited by NoName