2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

53 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

People dogged him that first year but I can't remember when we've had better lb play. The development with Ford and Gbenda specifically has been outstanding.  I imagine he's going to be tough to replace. 

Maybe under Muschamp, we had play/dev as good. Great coach. Hope he kicks ass at Nevada.

54 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The Choater has done an amazing job here. Good for him moving up. People dogged him that first year but I can't remember when we've had better lb play. The development with Ford and Gbenda specifically has been outstanding.  I imagine he's going to be tough to replace. 

Don’t forget Overshown. He had never played LB and Choate turned him into a draft pick. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Maybe under Muschamp, we had play/dev as good. Great coach. Hope he kicks ass at Nevada.

Maybe I’m misremembering but I thought the consensus opinion was that Muschamp the LB coach kept fucking up Muschamp the DC.  I don’t know how else to explain Patrick Nkwopara.

10 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is some good wishcasting, but Avalos has been a DC since 2016. It’s extremely unlikely he falls all the way back to LB coach. 

if it matters, Chote's title was Co-DC and ILB coach, so the Co-DC position title is back available.

Nahlin on some potential options if Choate departs before the playoff game

Spoiler

Reports emerged on Sunday of Texas linebackers coach Jeff Choate becoming the frontrunner to become the Nevada Wolfpack’s next head coach. Bruce Feldman was first to point out the smoke.

IT hears the same and expects Choate to take the Nevada gig.

Timing in this profession is always difficult. Season’s are either over, still going, or in the case of Texas and Choate, everything is still on the line after Texas was named the No. 3 team in the playoffs.

Nevada’s season is of course over, and, with the portal opening this morning and Early Signing Day approaching, there is a lot of work awaiting the next head coach. In addition to immediate roster management concerns, he also has to put together a coaching staff.

But, look how far Texas has come, including Choate’s linebacker room, in just three years. It’s hard to cash in on that sweat equity with Texas having a legitimate shot at winning the National Championship.

Let’s look at UT’s options to fill the void with the matchup against Washington a little under a month away.

Choate pulls double duty

We know there are players who are going to enter the portal but as we reported last week, many will see the playoffs through. Choate is likely in the same emotional boat of wanting to finish what he started.

It would be incredibly difficult to balance the new job with the current one, but thanks to his work over the years, the room is in a good position.

It has veteran leadership in Jaylan Ford, David Gbenda, and Jett Bush, as well as Anthony Hill who takes the game very seriously.

In short, this room doesn’t need to be babysat and micromanaged.

Elevate a support staffer

One name to watch as an immediate, and potential long-term replacement, is senior defensive analyst Henry Fernandez.

From an On3 series on rising support staffers:

+ Assists with Texas’ secondary.
+ Followed Pete Kwiatkowski to Texas after Kwiatkowski was hired as the Longhorns’ defensive coordinator last year.
+ Spent 2019 and 2020 as a graduate assistant under Kwiatkowski at Washington.
+ Former Sacramento State linebacker. Made 106 tackles as senior in 2014.

Obviously Fernandez knows the playbook as well as anyone else.

Another option would be adding staffer Nico Johnson. Johnson won three national championships while playing linebacker for Alabama and was a 4th RD draft pick.

Staff shakeup

Defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski could coach the linebackers by elevating a staffer to coach the Edges. This past offseason Texas hired former NFL defensive end and high school coach and trainer Jacquies Smith.

Smith graduated from South Oak Cliff and attended Missouri. After his journeyman NFL days were over he returned to Dallas to coach and train. One of the players he’s trained is five-star Texas commit Colin Simmons.

Steve Sarkisian will have immediate options, and perhaps even more I couldn’t think of.

As far as a long-term fix, if PK looks to go outside of the program, Utah linebackers coach Colton Swan is intriguing.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nahlin on some potential options if Choate departs before the playoff game

Hide contents

Reports emerged on Sunday of Texas linebackers coach Jeff Choate becoming the frontrunner to become the Nevada Wolfpack’s next head coach. Bruce Feldman was first to point out the smoke.

IT hears the same and expects Choate to take the Nevada gig.

Timing in this profession is always difficult. Season’s are either over, still going, or in the case of Texas and Choate, everything is still on the line after Texas was named the No. 3 team in the playoffs.

Nevada’s season is of course over, and, with the portal opening this morning and Early Signing Day approaching, there is a lot of work awaiting the next head coach. In addition to immediate roster management concerns, he also has to put together a coaching staff.

But, look how far Texas has come, including Choate’s linebacker room, in just three years. It’s hard to cash in on that sweat equity with Texas having a legitimate shot at winning the National Championship.

Let’s look at UT’s options to fill the void with the matchup against Washington a little under a month away.

Choate pulls double duty

We know there are players who are going to enter the portal but as we reported last week, many will see the playoffs through. Choate is likely in the same emotional boat of wanting to finish what he started.

It would be incredibly difficult to balance the new job with the current one, but thanks to his work over the years, the room is in a good position.

It has veteran leadership in Jaylan Ford, David Gbenda, and Jett Bush, as well as Anthony Hill who takes the game very seriously.

In short, this room doesn’t need to be babysat and micromanaged.

Elevate a support staffer

One name to watch as an immediate, and potential long-term replacement, is senior defensive analyst Henry Fernandez.

From an On3 series on rising support staffers:

+ Assists with Texas’ secondary.
+ Followed Pete Kwiatkowski to Texas after Kwiatkowski was hired as the Longhorns’ defensive coordinator last year.
+ Spent 2019 and 2020 as a graduate assistant under Kwiatkowski at Washington.
+ Former Sacramento State linebacker. Made 106 tackles as senior in 2014.

Obviously Fernandez knows the playbook as well as anyone else.

Another option would be adding staffer Nico Johnson. Johnson won three national championships while playing linebacker for Alabama and was a 4th RD draft pick.

Staff shakeup

Defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski could coach the linebackers by elevating a staffer to coach the Edges. This past offseason Texas hired former NFL defensive end and high school coach and trainer Jacquies Smith.

Smith graduated from South Oak Cliff and attended Missouri. After his journeyman NFL days were over he returned to Dallas to coach and train. One of the players he’s trained is five-star Texas commit Colin Simmons.

Steve Sarkisian will have immediate options, and perhaps even more I couldn’t think of.

As far as a long-term fix, if PK looks to go outside of the program, Utah linebackers coach Colton Swan is intriguing.

I wonder if Jacquies Smith has a degree. Nahlin's phrasing indicates that he may not. If not, if the rule is still in place at UT that coaches need degrees, he wouldn't be a candidate.

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Swan graduated from Weber St, coached there for 15 years, and then has been at Utah for the last five years. That sounds like a state of Utah lifer.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I wonder if Jacquies Smith has a degree. Nahlin's phrasing indicates that he may not. If not, if the rule is still in place at UT that coaches need degrees, he wouldn't be a candidate.

Looks like homeboy is degreed. Maybe? What is an MEd, that sounds like at least a degree, and he worked as a teacher. 

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jacquies-smith-03a112192/

Edited by SydneyCarton

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Looks like homeboy is degreed. Maybe? What is an MEd, that sounds like at least a degree, and he worked as a teacher. 

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jacquies-smith-03a112192/

Good for him, if so, and makes the degree concern irrelevant. I was going off of Nahlin's phrasing and didn't do any google homework, so shame on me for that.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

Good for him, if so, and makes the degree concern irrelevant. I was going off of Nahlin's phrasing and didn't do any google homework, so shame on me for that.

I've heard smith referenced by recruits and players a couple times, already. And he trains Simmons, we know. 

The guy might actually be a legitimate asset as a full time coach. 

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

from his mizzou bio: https://mutigers.com/sports/football/roster/jacquies-smith/3248

Is an interdisciplinary studies major who is set to graduate this December, taking only three-and-a-half years to earn his degree

little more googling says he has a degree

https://voyagedallas.com/interview/meet-jacquies-smith-man-vs-woman-dallas/

Jacquies, please share your story with us. How did you get to where you are today?
I was born and raised in Dallas, Texas. I attended south oak cliff high school and from there I earned a football scholarship to attend the University of Missouri. I was a four-year letterman there and graduated with my bachelor degree.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Completely won't happen because of the the whole firing thing but that LB coach from Michigan who got canned for destroying evidence is super good and can recruit. 

That guy wouldn't pass Compliance for a job at UT even it was for a janitorial or food & beverage position. Good grief, man.

Just now, closetojumping said:

That guy wouldn't pass Compliance for a job at UT even it was for a janitorial or food & beverage position. Good grief, man.

That is why i prefaced the statement. 

These were all names when Sark was putting his staff together:

Coleman Hutzler(Alabama)
Mike Stoops(Kentucky) - LOL no
Tosh Lupoi(Oregon) - won't happen
Peter Sirmon(Cal)
John Glenn(Seattle Seahawks) - Recommended by Carroll as a Co-DC type

Random thoughts:

I wonder if a guy like Zach Arnett would take a Co-DC role and LB coach position for us? I'd assume he could get a DC gig at most places.

There is also the Avolos guy who has worked with PK before at Boise. 

While scrolling through my notes from that hiring process I saw the notes on Lanning as a potential LB coach for us on Sark's initial staff, haha. This screenshot from Dawgs247:

97f63ff8a8ae839bf4b13de1ac5ec8b1.jpg

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Coleman Hutzler(Alabama)
Peter Sirmon(Cal)

Random thoughts:

I wonder if a guy like Zach Arnett would take a Co-DC role and LB coach position for us? I'd assume he could get a DC gig at most places.

While scrolling through my notes from that hiring process I saw the notes on Lanning as a potential LB coach for us on Sark's initial staff, haha. This screenshot from Dawgs247:

you are, by choice, posting a blurb from someone who clearly says that his source is Chip fucking Brown? on something he was clearly wrong about, as we know 3 years later?

Michael Scott Reaction GIF

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I've heard smith referenced by recruits and players a couple times, already. And he trains Simmons, we know. 

The guy might actually be a legitimate asset as a full time coach. 

Sark tends to want a few more development skins on the wall for his coaching staff. I remember he passed on Samples due to a lack of experience and went out and got Chris Jackson instead, which has worked out well. I would love to see Hutzler back, Avalos would be very interesting, as would the Utah LB coach. Either way, PK has a pretty deep rolodex but I doubt it will be of many guys with name recognition to the TX fanbase.  

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Coleman Hutzler(Alabama)
Peter Sirmon(Cal)

Random thoughts:

lol Chip Brown

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Texas doesn’t start bowl practice until the 15th choat will be in Nevada until then return to coach in Austin. 

I doubt Texas would be cool with being a man short during this recruiting period. Maybe he can pull double duty, but he can't just eschew his obligations over here.

Just now, texifornia said:

You want a guy who has no stake in the program after January recruiting for us?

He made it clear in his conference his obligations are to Nevada football. He spoke with Sark and will coach through bowl game because he owes it to our players. Choate seems like a straight forward genuine dude. We shouldn’t expect him to recruit for us but I don’t think it’s in his DNA to not give our team 100% effort. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I did a bit of research on current LB position coaches with well developed units and up and coming DCs in g5/d2 and I'm more convinced now that it'll be an unexpected hire. Findings, mostly irrelevant:

• Guess who FSU's LB coach is? Randy Shannon. 
  • Well regarded UAB DC David Reeves walked away from CFB last offseason to take HC at Alabama 5A Jasper High School. Weird. 
  • Lebby hired 35yo and well regarded Chris Marve for DC/LB at 850k/yr. Boy, would it be fun to fuck with Lebby's first staff. 
  • Speaking of SCSU, Jonathan Saxon would be interesting. He came up under the tutelage of one *checks notes* Charlie Strong at Louisville. 
  • Bob Gregory, the last guy to coach Linebackers on the same staff as PK not named Choate, is the ST coach at Stanford. This path seems like a likely one. 
  • Former Bill Snyder LB, Hansen Sekona (poly ties are strong with this one) was a GA helping with LBs under PK at UW. Is now the DC at San Mateo College. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Maybe we'll be able to put another coach on the road in his absence.

I don’t think you can without taking him out of his on field role. I’m fairly certain that he wasn’t the point on any remaining recruitments so that’s irrelevant. Also we’re not taking any LBs this cycle with tyanthony reaffirming his commitment to Aggies. Only other LB we’d be interested in is Justin Williams and that’s not happening.