Week 14, 2023, Texas v Washington, College Football Playoff Edition

Wulaw Horn

On 12/11/2023 at 3:45 PM, Huskyfan1997 said:

One thing is for sure, if UW ends up winning the championship, UO will claim they had the 2nd best team in the nation haha.  We hate UO as much as you guys hate the Aggies. 

Fuck you.  No one hates anyone as much as we hate aggy.

Edited by Slick16
Typo
  • Hook 'Em 1

This has probably been asked and possibly discussed at length already, but will coach to helmet communication be allowed in the playoffs? A colleague of mine says it will be, but I've barely paid attention to any of the bowls today and didn't hear it mentioned. So..

1. True [ ]
2. False [ ]

58 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I am just going to assume you are young and ignorant and not willfully stupid.   

So let me educate you.  

Rankings at the time a game is played is not indicative of the caliber of the team.  Georgia looked solid all year but not world beaters, and yet they held on to the #1 rank.  Does that make Alabama #1 for beating them or does that make the voters look foolish for putting them at #1?   I tend to go with the latter.  Holding on to former ranking is monumentally stupid.  Alabama can claim they beat the #1 team.  But they didn't.  That is Michigan.  If they beat them, then Michigan is no longer #1.   If Washington beats Texas and Alabama than that makes Washington #1, and Alabama did not beat #1.     

Same group of difference makers?  Well, is the team is featuring Casey Cain as a WR in last years bowl game?  Casey Cain had 8 receptions for 200 yards last year, half of which was against you.  This year he has recorded 1 reception.   For a guy who hasn't been injured, that should be a fucking hint as to where he lives on the depth chart.    K-Rob was the feature back last year against you after 2 NFL guys in front left.   K-Rob, was behind Brooks (out for season), Baxter, Blue.   So you got to face our 4th string running back trying to perform like a square peg in a round hole.  K-Rob has 25 carries for 86 yards last year.   This year he has had 12 carries for 134 yards.   What does that tell you?    This is just an example of 2 guys on the team who are still here but I would say their roles and production should be a clue.  But quite frankly, your fanbase is so fucking clueless they probably still wouldn't get it.   

Y'all way overhype Oregon.  I watched them.  I don't care that they beat up the sisters of the poor.  I don't give a flying fuck what some talking head that doesn't watch games thinks about the hype train for them.  I heard those same assholes talked up Colorado as being a badass team and they even laughably put them at 18 in the poll, just 4 spots below Alabama that same week. (see earlier point) Oregon squeaked by a hapless Texas Tech in the waning minutes.   Texas Tech is 5-4 in conference, 6-6 currently.   Sure we had close games as well.  With demonstrated and statistical anomalies in officiating (College Football Nerds called it out on Twitter, media has called it out, not just us) and playing a back-up QB, who is in the portal due to being surpassed by a new guy. 

Sark's demeanor is just your projection.  It is not like he was fired.  He has substance abuse issues during his time there and at USC which is well documented.   Rehab for his personal life and rehab for his professional life seem to have done him some good.   

Your fanbase has a massive inferiority complex and tries to overcompensate for it with stupid projections and statements.   While we try to be welcoming to folks (we have quite a few Sooners on here, and we still fondly remember our KSU friend who passed) we don't generally like retread takes and stupid assessments.   It is fine to come in and chat it up.  Ask questions, and/or share opinions.   But don't forget, Y'all are basically the same team, that won by 7 against a hapless Texas team last year.    Your top 3 WRs were there last year.  You QB is the same.  RB is an upgrade (60 more rushes from this position for the season).   Your secondary looks quite a bit different from last year with only 2 guys still starting and one demoted to second string.    

Now, I will end it here as a conversation piece.  Tell me more about your secondary and linebacker play.  

I think you are the one projecting. If you look at my post you will see I didn’t say anything negative about Sark. Just said he wanted to win the game badly as demonstrated by him chewing out that guy in the tunnel beforehand. I liked Sark and was bummed when he left. He recruited very well and brought us out of the college football basement. Also immense respect for his recovery journey. Alcoholism is very difficult.

I strongly disagree with your Oregon views and they really aren’t backed up by anything except personal opinions and a close TT victory. They only lost two games to us and otherwise had an incredible season with a talented roster and Heisman finalist. They are very good and would be in the CFP if it wasn’t for us. 

to answer your question, our LBs are very solid with Ulofoshio being a first team all conference and a second team all American by PFF. We also have good depth at the position and regularly sub out. Not world beaters, but not a liability.

Secondary has been a liability at times this season but we also had our two starting safeties out for large parts of the season. They were back for the CCG and it showed. Hope it carries over to Sugar Bowl. Mohammed is a stud CB and will play Sundays. Elijah Jackson is a liability but Thaddeus Dixon has been taking his spot recently and is playing well. Secondary is our weakest position group but doesn’t scare me as much now that we are healthy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 4

2 hours ago, JLake said:

(Sweat, Ewers, Worthy, Murphy etc). Didn’t all those guys play in the Alamo Bowl that we beat you all in pretty comfortably? I get that players get better YOY but that works for both teams.

So your thesis is that a guy who was honorable mention all Big 12 in 2022 merely “got better” to become a consensus all American, Outland Trophy winner and Big 12 defensive PoY. Tell me which UW player improved enough to make that “work for both teams?”

i’ll wait but I won’t hold my breath. Your thesis is provably crap. Several Texas players have taken quantum leaps this year. Ewers completed under 60% in 2022. He jumped to 70% year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Yes, because we actually faced the same team this season. This isn't a four loss Texas team with a QB playing his first real games in 2 years. 

Yeah, Ewers is completing 70% of his passes on the year. Saying he’s the same player is nuts. And didn’t we return every starter on our OL or something? They’ve improved a ton even over this season, which is a major reason why our run game didn’t fall off a cliff when Brooks went down. 

If Washington expects Alamo Bowl Texas, we’re going to win by 30+

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

So your thesis is that a guy who was honorable mention all Big 12 in 2022 merely “got better” to become a consensus all American, Outland Trophy winner and Big 12 defensive PoY. Tell me which UW player improved enough to make that “work for both teams?”

i’ll wait but I won’t hold my breath. Your thesis is provably crap. Several Texas players have taken quantum leaps this year. Ewers completed under 60% in 2022. He jumped to 70% year. 

No need to hold your breath pal. Rome Odunze took a giant leap and was a Belitnikoff finalist and had better stats than Harrison Jr. Michael Penix was second in the Heisman voting and our OL are finalists for the Joe Moore award. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

The leap from inexperienced players to more experienced players is almost always larger than the leap from experienced player to more experienced player. 
Our guys were very talented, but still learning how to win. 
They’ve gotten better from the beginning of the year to where they were against OkSt. 
Now, Sark and Co. have a month to prep and our guys have time to get healthier. 

You guys have been banged up all season, but our guys have too. 

7 minutes ago, JLake said:

No need to hold your breath pal. Rome Odunze took a giant leap and was a Belitnikoff finalist and had better stats than Harrison Jr. Michael Penix was second in the Heisman voting and our OL are finalists for the Joe Moore award. 

How is he different than last year? 

And all those guys dominated… oh what’s this? 7 one score games? Huh. Good luck buddy 

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

How is he different than last year? 

Doubled his TD total and 400 more yards. Also made the play that won us the first Oregon game, the Oregon State Game and the Washington State game. All with broken ribs and a punctured lung suffered in the Arizona game. Good enough for you?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 6

2 minutes ago, JLake said:

We won every one of those games. Did Texas win every game this year?

I expect you will be coming back to this site running your mouth if Washington wins.  Question is, will you come back to this site to give Texas its due if Texas wins?  I think not.

14 minutes ago, JLake said:

Not even close. Odunze had normal improvement. He was all PAC-12 and led the conference in receiving yards in 2022. He got some All-America mention last year and a lot this year. That’s no close to the leap Sweat made. He wasn’t even 3rd team all conference in 2022 and he’s the best DL in FBS now, not just a finalist. Sweat started MUCH lower than Idunze and rose to higher highs. 

1 minute ago, 89Horn said:

I expect you will be coming back to this site running your mouth if Washington wins.  Question is, will you come back to this site to give Texas its due if Texas wins?  I think not.

Yep. I think y’all are very good and it will be a good game. I am very confident in my Huskies but it doesn’t mean I think you guys suck.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

8 minutes ago, JLake said:

We won every one of those games. Did Texas win every game this year?

Did you all play a hard schedule or a 2 game schedule (Oregon cough cough)? Do you have a win over another playoff team? Texas wouldve gone undefeated on your schedule. Washington would be lucky to have only two losses with ours. 

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby
  • Hook 'Em 2

Doubled his TD total and 400 more yards. Also made the play that won us the first Oregon game, the Oregon State Game and the Washington State game. All with broken ribs and a punctured lung suffered in the Arizona game. Good enough for you?

Well, I actually meant what about his game changed? I assume the higher yardage total is mostly from McMillan being injured and having less places for the ball to go. 

3 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Did you all play a hard schedule or a 2 game schedule (Oregon cough cough)? Do you have a win over another playoff team? Texas wouldve gone undefeated on your schedule. Washington would be lucky to have only two losses with ours. 

Oregon would be a playoff but for us. That isn’t debatable. If you beat Alabama twice they wouldn’t be in the playoffs either. On top of Oregon, we beat Oregon State and Arizona who are both still ranked. Also beat Utah and USC when they were ranked.

Are you really arguing that a big 12 is better than pac 12 this year?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 6

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Well, I actually meant what about his game changed? I assume the higher yardage total is mostly from McMillan being injured and having less places for the ball to go. 

I don’t even understand this question. He was an all conference wide receiver and became a better, more clutch and consensus all American wide receiver? Do you want some detailed analysis on route running or something? 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 6

Just now, JLake said:

Yep. I think y’all are very good and it will be a good game. I am very confident in my Huskies but it doesn’t mean I think you guys suck.

Doesn’t sound like it.  Sounds like you and others of your ilk coming to this site keep going on and on about your team seemingly trying to convince folks here how good your team is.  Yes, fine, Washington is a damned good team.  If you know how good they are, then you don’t need to be going on and on about it.  I mean shit, it’s all look at me!  Look at me!  Acknowledge how good we are. Fuck.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JLake said:

It’s just weird how UW fans want to divert the topic to conferences when it’s clear that Texas had the tougher schedule than Washington. This keeps happening; I assume they don’t like the direct comparison and derail the process to generalities. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JLake said:

I don’t even understand this question. He was an all conference wide receiver and became a better, more clutch and consensus all American wide receiver? Do you want some detailed analysis on route running or something? 

Yes, actually. How did his game improve? He has higher stats because your second best receiver was injured, leaving less places for the ball to go. Improved stats doesn't equate to improved player given that context. He was also great at jump ball/contested catch situations. Has he improved his YACs? Route running? Blocking? 

5 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

It’s just weird how UW fans want to divert the topic to conferences when it’s clear that Texas had the tougher schedule than Washington. This keeps happening; I assume they don’t like the direct comparison and derail the process to generalities. 

OK. Let’s get direct then. We have two wins over the #8 team in the country (at home and neutral field) and who is only #8 and not #2 because we beat them. We also have road wins against #14 and #21. You all beat the #4 team (best win of the year in CFB; would be #1 or #2 if you hadn’t beat them) and the #22 team on a neutral field. I think I got that right?

Edited by JLake
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

12 minutes ago, 89Horn said:

Doesn’t sound like it.  Sounds like you and others of your ilk coming to this site keep going on and on about your team seemingly trying to convince folks here how good your team is.  Yes, fine, Washington is a damned good team.  If you know how good they are, then you don’t need to be going on and on about it.  I mean shit, it’s all look at me!  Look at me!  Acknowledge how good we are. Fuck.

I said I would and I will. Not going to be able to help with those trust issues I am sensing though :). Also I just said I think you guys are very good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

4 minutes ago, JLake said:

OK. Let’s get direct then. We have two wins over the #8 team in the country (at home and neutral field) and who is only #8 and not #2 because we beat them. We also have road wins against #14 and #21. You all beat the #4 team (best win of the year in CFB; would be #1 or #2 if you hadn’t beat them) and the #22 team on a neutral field. I think I got that right?

Sagarin

image.thumb.png.b4ee3fe738bbebe87ac753bda396d858.png

Massey

image.thumb.png.ed09b0ae6ee0ca339ad8cbe434854f6e.png

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, JLake said:

Oregon would be a playoff but for us. That isn’t debatable. If you beat Alabama twice they wouldn’t be in the playoffs either. On top of Oregon, we beat Oregon State and Arizona who are both still ranked. Also beat Utah and USC when they were ranked.

Yeah I am saying that also. The big 12 was better than the PAC. Definite losses for Washington on our schedule: @Bama. Probable losses: KSU, OU, @Iowa State

13 minutes ago, JLake said:

The conferences are roughly equivalent. Sagarin has the Big 12 third behind the Pac-12 at 2nd, but the ratings are essentially a tie at 78.28 and 78.18. Massey has the Big 12 2nd and the Pac-12 third, but again the ratings are almost a dead tie at 7.85 and 7.84. 

5 minutes ago, JLake said:

We have a home win against #25 and a neutral field win against #20. If you go by the last CFP ranking anyway.

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

We have a home win against #25 and a neutral field win against #20. If you go by the last CFP ranking anyway.

My mistake. Honestly I think we both played harder schedules than Michigan and we both deserve to be where we are. I just think the statement that we would have more losses than you guys with your schedule is far fetched. We could have lost to Alabama but other than that we probably win out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 4

There were 4 games between the Big 12 and the Pac 12. Oregon beat Tech by 8. Utah beat Baylor by 7. Colorado beat TCU by 3. OSU beat ASU by 12. In 4 games, the point differential was 6 points. Seems pretty even. Oh, and Tech is currently beating Cal by 10.

My mistake. Honestly I think we both played harder schedules than Michigan and we both deserve to be where we are. I just think the statement that we would have more losses than you guys with your schedule is far fetched. We could have lost to Alabama but other than that we probably win out.

Uh Huh Sure GIF

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

There were 4 games between the Big 12 and the Pac 12. Oregon beat Tech by 8. Utah beat Baylor by 7. Colorado beat TCU by 3. OSU beat ASU by 12. In 4 games, the point differential was 6 points. Seems pretty even. Oh, and Tech is currently beating Cal by 10.

Screenshot_20231216_224701_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fc0bd637dc018b6e4dccfd8113a4c8e2.jpg

6 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

I usually buy close loss arguments as examples of parity but do you guys really think TCU or Houston is anywhere near your caliber just because they played you close? I sure as shit don’t think ASU or WSU is close to us. College Football is fucking wacky

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 4

I usually buy close loss arguments as examples of parity but do you guys really think TCU or Houston is anywhere near your caliber just because they played you close? I sure as shit don’t think ASU or WSU is close to us. College Football is fucking wacky

My answer is simple. They were that day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We played with an injured or backup QB against TCU and Houston. The stretch of games from Houston to TCU were with our starter very obviously injured or our subpar backup QB. 

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

Sigh... it was regarding Oregon that TT came up.

Please keep track.

I got it but I don’t care about close victories in college football and you all shouldn’t either. Beauty contests are for losers like Oregon. Just win the fucking games you play and eventually you are the national champs.

Just now, JLake said:

I got it but I don’t care about close victories in college football and you all shouldn’t either. Beauty contests are for losers like Oregon. Just win the fucking games you play and eventually you are the national champs.

Unless you are FSU of course but that topic is worn the fuck out.

• Fuck You 7

Just now, JLake said:

Tell that to Florida State. 

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic