Tell Me About Washington

Vic Mackey

Does any coach in that situation have to say anything more than, “We’ve done a lot together. It was a great shared experience for all of us, a time we’ll never forget. Our work together opened a lot of doors for all of us and I am confident that you will build on this and do even greater things in life”.?

Hell, “Peace, out” would have been a better speech

Edited by statsman
  • Like 2

Roster left behind for Huskies is not good.  Grubb might end up being be happy that he wasn't considered to be their next Head Coach.

Washington previously hired Coach Lake off their staff and it ended in disaster, so many speculated they would not pursue Grubb.  Three folks seem to be top candidates:  Klieman, Fisch, and Leipold.

Potential Candidates to Become the Next UW Football Coach

LARS HANSON      21 HOURS AGO

Troy Dannen, on the job as the Washington athletic director for just three and a half months, probably never envisioned he'd be looking to hire a new Husky football coach so soon.

Yet with Kalen DeBoer off to coach Alabama after guiding the UW to the College Football Playoff championship game, Dannen is tasked with just that.

During his introductory press conference in early October, the new Husky athletic director made it clear how important it is to have a successful football program for the health of an overall athletic department. 

"Football is the economic animal and the economic engine in every department," Dannen said. "You have to feed that engine, because if you don't feed that engine and it dies, it takes a lot away from other programs."

So who will be DeBoer's UW coaching successor?

Kansas State coach Chris Klieman — who has a Dannen connection — might be a good place to start to see if he has any interest. Klieman served as an assistant football coach at Northern Iowa when Dannen was in his first year as athletic director at the school in 2008.

Klieman, 56, is 111-37 overall as a head coach, which includes winning four FCS National Championships for North Dakota State from 2014-18, before moving to Kansas State in 2019. He has a 39-24 record with the Big 12 school. 

The UW will receive a $12 million buyout for DeBoer's departure that could cover buyouts for several potential candidates. Arizona's Jedd Fisch, Kansas coach Lance Leipold and Klieman each have buyouts in the $6 million range.

A decision on a UW head coach has to come fairly quickly. NCAA rules enable players with a departing coach to have a 30-day window to enter the transfer portal, from the date when their coach accepts another job. 

8 hours ago, statsman said:

Does any coach in that situation have to say anything more than, “We’ve done a lot together. It was a great shared experience for all of us, a time we’ll never forget. Our work together opened a lot of doors for all of us and I am confident that you will build on this and do even greater things in life”.?

Hell, “Peace, out” would have been a better speech

Yes, that was awful. First they have to find out you’re leaving via ESPN. And then because it was all BS. “I just got the opportunity 24 hours ago.”  So you switching agents to Jimmy Sexton, interviewing with Bama while you’re in Houston prepping for the NCG and Saban waiting to announce his retirement until a couple of days after said NCG was all just coincidental stuff that happened?  This was already done. Sexton just used the two days to get his other guys raises. 

Clearly Deboer wasn’t a Boy Scout as the “leave it better than you found it” didn’t enter the equation. Other than Penix, the NFL dudes on that roster were already there and your recruiting was, shall we say, lackluster. Literally signed zero in-state players. Really looking to setup those relationships for the long-term, eh coach?  

You slammed the door on Grubb ever getting a chance because he was gonna have the same message you did and no one in that locker room was going to buy it. (And the previous experiences promoting assistants has not gone well at UW historically). 

Just say thanks for selling out, I’ve enjoyed my time here, good luck and be out.  When 25% of the guys show up and those that did are tweeting “crocodile tears” after, I’d say your message didn’t quite land.

Look, I get it, there’s probably only 7 places that don’t lose their HC to other CFB opportunities (UT, Bama, UGa, LSU, Mich, Ohio State and USC - I would have included ND and OU but recent history suggests otherwise).  But the manner in which it happened sucks.  But I’m not bitter… 😂

The sad part for CFB is that given the timing, UW has to be hoping Fisch is going to gut his UA roster (particularly Fifita and TMac) after he comes. Which sucks for that squad. Wonder if UA gives Grubb a look?

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Good hire. I got laughed at in the aggy HC threads, but Fisch one of the few candidates that concerned me. And then he took OU apart in the Alamo Bowl. 

Is that how you saw that game? Really?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cajun said:

Ooph!  That was really bad.

It wasn't the Gettysburg Address but at least he spoke to the team which is more than a lot of coaches are willing to do nowadays.  I thought he made a few good points. There's no good way to change jobs for college coaches now 

14 hours ago, Cajun said:

Ooph!  That was really bad.

"Guys, you have worked your asses off and sacrificed for our team.  You have seen how your work and sacrifice got us into position to win a national title.  I appreciate your hard work, and love each and every one of you, and our time together.

I now have an amazing opportunity to coach at a legendary school with high expectations.  It will be a huge challenge, and I couldn't pass on such a chance.

I trust that the university will hire an outstanding coach to lead you in your future efforts.  I wish you all the best in life, and hope that each of you succeeds beyond your wildest dreams, in all of your endeavors."

How hard is that?  Basic Leadership 101 stuff.

7 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

"Guys, you have worked your asses off and sacrificed for our team.  You have seen how your work and sacrifice got us into position to win a national title.  I appreciate your hard work, and love each and every one of you, and our time together.

I now have an amazing opportunity to coach at a legendary school with high expectations.  It will be a huge challenge, and I couldn't pass on such a chance.

I trust that the university will hire an outstanding coach to lead you in your future efforts.  I wish you all the best in life, and hope that each of you succeeds beyond your wildest dreams, in all of your endeavors."

How hard is that?  Basic Leadership 101 stuff.

Get rid of second paragraph and you can sell it to college coaches as they count money out the door 

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

It wasn't the Gettysburg Address but at least he spoke to the team which is more than a lot of coaches are willing to do nowadays.  I thought he made a few good points. There's no good way to change jobs for college coaches now 

It was a rambling, insincere, and nearly incoherent mess.

And I'm being kind.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, that business about, “for probably all of us, there’s someone else that can do our jobs better”…wtf?

Just say- “I promise you that this great program that you committed to will find coaches as good, maybe better than us.” Stop. 

On 1/12/2024 at 8:10 PM, TXpride said:

They don't seem to realize that Washington isn't, never has been, and never will be a destination job. Unless there's some personal ties, any coach would leave UW for a blue blood.

Have you fired Sark yet?  Now 0-3 vs. this non “blue blood.”

Is it true that Sark brought back his drinking buddy, cheat on his wife wingman Johnny Nansen?  If so, you are fucked.

• Fuck You 13

6 minutes ago, Sundodger said:

Is it true that Sark brought back his drinking buddy, cheat on his wife wingman Johnny Nansen?  If so, you are fucked.

Sark cheats on his wife - no fkin way - win loss records and cheating on wife have nothing to do with your  program being a  non- blue blood. Chill out shit head 

49 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Paywall article predicts Washington job is just another stepping stone for Fisch...  doubts he'll stay long. 

Holy Shit Fisch changes job locations a lot 😋

Screenshot_20240116-052814_kindlephoto-10866734.thumb.png.3b13bdcd9522040cdb31ccbf8fcb3cc5.png

Edited by LTtxfan

10 hours ago, Sundodger said:

Sark and Deboer both left for better jobs. Don't know what to tell you. I would say I know how you feel, but I don't. It's gotta suck though.

Paywall article predicts Washington job is just another stepping stone for Fisch...  doubts he'll stay long. 
Screenshot_20240116-043610_kindlephoto-8858888.png.a98c0f08f5f681ed8c64eb4f4579db3c.png

Should have stayed where he was then. He had a lot of starters coming back and would have certainly won more than what he has now in Washington.

19 hours ago, Sundodger said:

Yes, let the butthurt flow through you!

7 hours ago, markstanco said:

Should have stayed where he was then. He had a lot of starters coming back and would have certainly won more than what he has now in Washington.

Both DeBoer and Fisch made questionable moves in my mind. I would never want to follow a legend like Saban, but given what's left behind at UW, I can understand him wanting to GTFO while the iron is hot. I still don't think he'll last more than three seasons unless he captures lightning in a bottle and can keep Alabama competitive at the top of the SEC. 

Fisch is the one that I super don't understand. He's walking into UW with a complete rebuild of the roster on his hands. He could have stayed behind in Tucson and been competitive in the Big 12 in year one. When the UF job opens up, he's be perfectly positioned to get that job. Instead, he's heading up to Seattle to a team with a gutted roster and moving into the Big 10 that plays a slightly different variety of football than what he's accustomed to in the Pac 12 and upcoming Big 12. I'm betting he flounders there and won't be candidate for his dream job at UF when it comes open. Super shortsighted, IMO.

9 minutes ago, royiv said:

Both DeBoer and Fisch made questionable moves in my mind. I would never want to follow a legend like Saban, but given what's left behind at UW, I can understand him wanting to GTFO while the iron is hot. I still don't think he'll last more than three seasons unless he captures lightning in a bottle and can keep Alabama competitive at the top of the SEC. 

Fisch is the one that I super don't understand. He's walking into UW with a complete rebuild of the roster on his hands. He could have stayed behind in Tucson and been competitive in the Big 12 in year one. When the UF job opens up, he's be perfectly positioned to get that job. Instead, he's heading up to Seattle to a team with a gutted roster and moving into the Big 10 that plays a slightly different variety of football than what he's accustomed to in the Pac 12 and upcoming Big 12. I'm betting he flounders there and won't be candidate for his dream job at UF when it comes open. Super shortsighted, IMO.

DeBoer is repped by Jimmy Sexton so it’s pretty obvious he was going to the SEC the first chance he got. 

Fisch went to UW because Arizona didn’t want to guarantee his contract until the BOR met in Feb to approve. 

The BOR meeting comes after the discovery of a $240M accounting error by the school. I know athletics and academics are separate but I would get away from that financial train wreck as fast as possible if another school was throwing more money at me. 

Some of Arizona’s staff worked with Sark in the past so I would not be surprised if Fisch was scared they’d be hired away. If Arizona sucked next year, there’s no chance Fisch would be able to get a contract like the one UW is giving him now. 

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

My thought on this is yours.  DB will lose 2-3 every year sans a good year, but the gumps will be hanging on to old sec and expecting 11 wins in a down year.  Wont end well.  Losing 2 in the new sec is a top 10 spot most years.  You can get in backside with 3 losses from being in the conference alone. 

The one thing about DB is he has hired a lot of buddies, but the South Alabama hire is spot on.  He is really taking on the tom herman hiring of friends.   

As for fisch, no clue on that move.  That dumbass could have stayed put in the B12 and got in the playoffs way easier than at washington. but now he is in the B1G with that depleted roster of multiple 1st rounders. Stay at az, get to the playoffs and then get paid.  Crazy.  Maybe he is the 2020ish version of matt campbell and he knows it and took the payday.

On 1/16/2024 at 3:50 PM, royiv said:

You are not taking into account what an organizational and financial shitshow U of AZ is right now.

14 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

You are not taking into account what an organizational and financial shitshow U of AZ is right now.

Okay. I didn't live in AZ for 20 years and I'm not married to a UA alum. I stand by my original post. We can revisit it when Fisch flames out at UW.

Washington AD details efforts to keep Kalen DeBoer

AD Troy Dannen told local media he offered to more than double DeBoer's salary to remain in Seattle.

ZACH BARNETT     9 MINUTES AGO

Washington was not able to keep Kalen DeBoer, but it wasn't for a lack of trying.

AD Troy Dannen detailed to local media that the Huskies ultimately made two offers to increase DeBoer's contract throughout Washington's run to the national championship game. 

The first would have paid him $8.7 million per year, and the second upped his prospective salary to $9.4 million. DeBoer made $4.2 million in 2023.

DeBoer likely would've gladly signed the $9.4 million per year offer until fate intervened. Fate, in this case, being Jimmy Sexton, who became DeBoer's agent during the fall. 

DeBoer's contract details at Alabama are yet to be released. Nick Saban earned $11.1 million in salary last year.

Though Dannen undoubtedly would've rather spent the money and kept DeBoer, his departure helped Washington's balance sheet.

Alabama paid $12 million to buy DeBoer out of his contract, and Jedd Fisch signed a 7-year contract starting at $7.5 million.

• 2 months later...

Just hired away Wazzu's AD. Absolutely cold-blooded.

Pete Thamel: Washington to hire AD Pat Chun from Washington St.

The University of Washington is finalizing a six-year deal to hire Pat Chun, the athletic director at rival Washington State, as the school's new athletic director, sources told ESPN on Tuesday. The hiring of Chun, who brings both a familiar face and strong Big Ten ties, marks a swift response to the sudden departure last week of Troy Dannen to become Nebraska's athletic director after only six months on the job at Washington.

Chun has led Washington State since January 2018, and his duties there included being selected to serve on the College Football Playoff committee and helping manage the university's future in the aftermath of mass departures from the Pac-12. His experience in the Big Ten proved appealing to the Washington brass, with the university entering the conference for the 2024-25 school year. Chun's expected hire marks the rare occasion of the hiring of a rival school's athletic director, although the extenuating circumstances of the Pac-12's recent flurry of departures make this move less jarring.

Chun worked for 15 years at Ohio State, where his responsibilities included everything from managing all facets of external relations to serving as the administrative liaison with the football program. That time gave him a window into the ways of the Big Ten, as he spent significant time in both fundraising and football, which will be two linchpins of his tenure in Seattle. His ability to lead an athletic department during financial challenges was valued, as Washington faces significant stadium debt. The school also must find ways to be competitive in the Big Ten while only receiving half of the television revenue -- along with Oregon -- of its peers through 2029-30.

Chun's time at Washington State included the successful hire of men's basketball coach Kyle Smith, who left this week for the head-coaching job at Stanford after leading the Cougars to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2008. That job is currently open. Chun also hired Kamie Ethridge as women's basketball coach, and she led WSU to the Pac-12 tournament title in 2023 and three straight NCAA tournament bids -- both firsts in school history.

Chun's tenure included promoting Jake Dickert from assistant coach to head football coach, a move that's resulted in two bowl appearances -- one as an interim -- and a 15-16 overall record that includes two wins over Wisconsin. When Chun was hired at Washington State, he became the first Asian American athletic director to lead a Power 5 school. Chun came to Washington State from Florida Atlantic, where his tenure included the hiring of Lane Kiffin as football coach.

• Like 1