Cloak Room Sucks

4 hours ago, immamac said:

This is such a strong post. This is the dilemma. 

I don't have a problem collapsing the boards down that are lightly trafficked and this seem due to happen. 

Your problem - your entire problem - is the lack of separation of Cloak Room from the rest of the site. You’ll never have an anchor sponsor with this setup, unless it’s some rando fringe Austin group. Not only are the politics wildly left, it’s such an echo chamber that the posters there think they’re mainstream. They’re emboldened to post in other forums and are like a terrible virus to the site. I can’t believe how you haven’t learned this. 

Most people want to come here to talk Texas football first, pro sports and other Texas sports second, and then current events / TV/movies / business. If they want a political forum outlet, it should be separate from the group. 

1 hour ago, BP44 said:

Your problem - your entire problem - is the lack of separation of Cloak Room from the rest of the site. You’ll never have an anchor sponsor with this setup, unless it’s some rando fringe Austin group. Not only are the politics wildly left, it’s such an echo chamber that the posters there think they’re mainstream. They’re emboldened to post in other forums and are like a terrible virus to the site. I can’t believe how you haven’t learned this. 

Most people want to come here to talk Texas football first, pro sports and other Texas sports second, and then current events / TV/movies / business. If they want a political forum outlet, it should be separate from the group. 

I can't speak for every other board but I know in the recruiting board if someone toes the line it gets called out pretty quick. Thats part of the reason this board is so good, the self moderation / policing.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

lol what the fuck are you talking about no one talks politics anywhere else we moderate it pretty hard. 

I think you guys try, but like you said above somewhere. It's a polar world and people are all in on their side. So even trivial small banter (not only politics) takes on a life of its own and someone (left, right, conservative, liberal, young, old, straight, gay) always has to be a dick about it. Usually, right after the disagreement starts, the lances come out and its full charge. You guys do your best trying to clean it up and mitigate, but then the culprits follow posters around and just holds a grudge and pepper them with bullshit.  I get we are all assholes with thick skins, but it always leads to resentment and bitter pissing matches that drag others in and down. Be an asshole, but don't be a dick. Be funny, not spiteful.

Thats my biggest and probably only bitch about this place and I think it leads to less traffic and communication and more apathy. I wish I could help find a way to minimize the crap because I really enjoy this place.

image.thumb.png.40cb893b5da9201fdc6039d2a20d63e5.png

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

I also want to say that I haven't been a victim of the above but see it on almost every board. people just don't want to accept someone disagree and not seeing it the way they want them too.

I spend 90% of my time in Other Sports, Music and Hobbies and see about zero of it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, nineliveslost said:

I also want to say that I haven't been a victim of the above but see it on almost every board. people just don't want to accept someone disagree and not seeing it the way they want them too.

I was going to try to be funny and disagree with you about this and then I realized that I actually do disagree with you. Stay away from the cloak room and tread lightly in the daily Texan and there's zero issue. 

4 hours ago, troph said:

People saying be nicer are full of shit. Ban hammer stupid idiots for threadahitting and worthless trolling. It’s destroys threads. The football board would be a cesspool of troll shit if we didn’t crowdsource real trolls. I have ZERO interest in being a part of a community where half the posts are troll shitting.

case in point, the Washington game week thread was unreadable for a while, we pushed out the thread shitters and now there is a really high quality conversation ongoing the last page or more.

Shit talking is different especially if it’s witty. But we are about to end up in the SEC and the trolls are out there and will most certainly try to infect the boards. Fuck trolls ban them immediately. If that means quality posters don’t come as often so be it.

I never thought the trolling was that bad on that thread. I thought it was an overreaction to crowd source them and now there are only horns posting in there. The group think is strong here. There also isn't really another thread for shit talking here because all the Washington talk is confined to that one thread. Maybe we could have used another thread?

Again, there is an ignore function. I  would prefer  posters use  it before dropping the ban hammer unless someone posts some really really horrible racist or otherwise ignorant shit. 

• Hook 'Em 5

I'd suggest turning off reactions in CR/DT, but then those circle jerks would just spillover to other non-related posts. Granted a few already do that anyway, but who knows. You're absolutely right though, the vast majority of "news" is putrid bullshit. Not a good place to start from when starting a discussion. People suck, and it's steadily worsened since Feb 2020.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I was going to try to be funny and disagree with you about this and then I realized that I actually do disagree with you. Stay away from the cloak room and tread lightly in the daily Texan and there's zero issue. 

I never thought the trolling was that bad on that thread. I thought it was an overreaction to crowd source them and now there are only horns posting in there. The group think is strong here. There also isn't really another thread for shit talking here because all the Washington talk is confined to that one thread. Maybe we could have used another thread?

Again, there is an ignore function. I  would prefer  posters use  it before dropping the ban hammer unless someone posts some really really horrible racist or otherwise ignorant shit. 

Exactly....FATWA should be for the last couple of things you listed. Not annoying posters, opponents posters who you find annoying, etc. It's literally cutting off potential new members. But Troph going to Troph.

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I would prefer  posters use  it before dropping the ban hammer unless someone posts some really really horrible racist or otherwise ignorant shit. 

IIRC that's what got that user (and its socks) hammered in the first place. Racial and homophobic slurs. There were a few others that didn't, and stuck around for a bit. I guess they tired of us once they were out gunned with factual conversation, and nobody was buying what they were inaccurately trying to sell.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I disagree. And the reason why it’s only horns now is the same reason why only you and dahobbs are on their board, they don’t really have any quality posters or quality conversation because their board has become a fucking cess pool of idiotic trolling. You think letting “WA good, Texas bad, queers and steers, oh yeah well you’re a fag” trolls continue to post will make that thread better well we are just not ever going to see eye to eye.

Basically it’s a microcosm of the rest of the internet.  Facebook comments, instagram comments, Reddit, other message boards.

the problem isn’t we ban hammered idiots. The problem is humanity has deteriorated to shit. Quality interaction is at an all time low. This place is a radical exception. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, immamac said:

lol what the fuck are you talking about no one talks politics anywhere else we moderate it pretty hard. 

Boards like this don’t have political forums. Cloak Room is an embarrassment to the university. 

2 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

I can't speak for every other board but I know in the recruiting board if someone toes the line it gets called out pretty quick. Thats part of the reason this board is so good, the self moderation / policing.

It spills out to Daily Texan, 6th Street Journal, and Board Discussion in every other thread. It turns off would-be newcomers and advertisers. 

That forum is not a discussion forum. It’s an ideology circle jerk. It doesn’t belong with the other forums and certainly not one designed around school sports. 

7 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Plus we’re pretty damn good at getting wildly off topic. 

This is more of a problem than people care to admit. 

And whoever that sock is, would they be complaining if the CR forum skewed wildly to the right like it did on Shaggy and HF (and it does on Texags)?

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Go read their boards, it’s absolute garbage, it’s not even funny it’s stupid.

4-5 have come over here. 2 are solid. 3 were trolls. Absolute trolls.  I have no say here, it can go where it goes. Imma can take it where ever he wants but if you think the 3 that were banned are the posters this place needs then man I don’t know what to say. Hit a critical mass of them though and those willing to engage in thoughtful discussion or witty banter will slowly disappear. 

Who gives a shit about their boards? Guess what....people probably read this board and think the same thing!

7 minutes ago, BP44 said:

Boards like this don’t have political forums. Cloak Room is an embarrassment to the university. 

It spills out to Daily Texan, 6th Street Journal, and Board Discussion in every other thread. It turns off would-be newcomers and advertisers. 

That forum is not a discussion forum. It’s an ideology circle jerk. It doesn’t belong with the other forums and certainly not one designed around school sports. 

Are you serious? Many have politics boards.  Many have Jan 6 deniers, 2020 election lies and Q believers running amok but they have politics boards.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

This is more of a problem than people care to admit. 

And whoever that sock is, would they be complaining if the CR forum skewed wildly to the right like it did on Shaggy and HF (and it does on Texags)?

I’m not a sock. I’ve been around since HF days. HF was very discussion-oriented and balanced. Shaggy leaned more left than you recall but certainly was more balanced. I’m not politically inclined and don’t really care too much - except CR makes Texas look as bad as Texags and their idiotic politics forum. 

13 minutes ago, BP44 said:

The issue is if you take it away all of that goes into all the other threads. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Who gives a shit about their boards? Guess what....people probably read this board and think the same thing!

Whatever man. We disagree. The very posters we banned post on their board the same way. I checked them out before I decided to be one of many who wanted them gone. Idiotic drivel. Homophobic slurs. You want them here awesome. Me? I don’t. I don’t neg posts often, almost never anyone with positive rep. When neg someone with positive rep totals it’s for only one reason.  A visitor comes over and does nothing but troll and brings their slur slinging culture they can fuck off. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Are you serious? Many have politics boards.  Many have Jan 6 deniers, 2020 election lies and Q believers running amok but they have politics boards.

Kind of. Where I go to get my sports and entertainment fix isn’t political in the slightest. I’m aware some have politics forums, but I don’t go there. I don’t care what Texags has to say, and I don’t care what CR has to say. Other Texas boards simply do not have such distracting, divisive content. 

Just now, BP44 said:

Kind of. Where I go to get my sports and entertainment fix isn’t political in the slightest. I’m aware some have politics forums, but I don’t go there. I don’t care what Texags has to say, and I don’t care what CR has to say. Other Texas boards simply do not have such distracting, divisive content. 

I think the sports message board platform has politics conversations more than not.  And this board is more active than most and more posters are willing to engage that’s going to mean a robust politics forum.  

4 minutes ago, troph said:

Whatever man. We disagree. The very posters we banned post on their board the same way. I checked them out before I decided to be one of many who wanted them gone. Idiotic drivel. Homophobic slurs. You want them here awesome. Me? I don’t. I don’t neg posts often, almost never anyone with positive rep. When neg someone with positive rep totals it’s for only one reason.  A visitor comes over and does nothing but troll and brings their slur slinging culture they can fuck off. 

Maybe not be such a sensitive Nancy....I mean obviously you care so much you decide to go to other team boards to stalk potential members post.

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Maybe. But in the other boards, you’ll at least have some discussion.  CR is unchecked looney tunes. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Maybe not be such a sensitive Nancy....I mean obviously you care so much you decide to go to other team boards to stalk potential members post.

That’s not what I said at all. It’s not black and white. We want more posters but that doesn’t mean you lower standards. I’m sorry you aren’t able to consider nuance and complexity beyond a binary decision set. 

1 minute ago, BP44 said:

Maybe. But in the other boards, you’ll at least have some discussion.  CR is unchecked looney tunes. 

Hahahahahaha.  It’s filled with former republicans unwilling to succumb to conspiracy theories and fascist rhetoric. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Just now, troph said:

That’s not what I said at all. It’s not black and white. We want more posters but that doesn’t mean you lower standards. I’m sorry you aren’t able to consider nuance and complexity beyond a binary decision set. 

The point is FATWA is being used not only for posters you see but anyone who disagrees with group think of this board. To get rid of the latter you have to allow the former to happen. If it gets bad enough a moderator can remove that user. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

I think the sports message board platform has politics conversations more than not.  And this board is more active than most and more posters are willing to engage that’s going to mean a robust politics forum.  

There are very, very few posters that engage in CR. It is the epitome of groupthink. There’s no original thought or discussion that isn’t anger-laced and emotionally-driven. 

3 minutes ago, BP44 said:

There are very, very few posters that engage in CR. It is the epitome of groupthink. There’s no original thought or discussion that isn’t anger-laced and emotionally-driven. 

funny I think quite a few do post there, many of the prolific posters across the forums are there, and some of the smartest posters on this board are there. Even the ones I disagree with I will acknowledge are outliers (in a positive sense) in terms of their intellectual abilities.

Edited by troph

1 minute ago, BP44 said:

there are more than 2000 unique posters in CR - this is false. I think you are just pissed off about politics which is fine. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, BP44 said:

You sound very uneducated about politics. Yes the CR leans left, and yes some of the viewpoints are very disagreeable, but to call the whole thread loony tunes says more about you than them. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, BP44 said:

I’m with you that it’s full of nut jobs, but immamac makes a damn good point that it keeps them there somewhat. 

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

You sound very uneducated about politics. Yes the CR leans left, and yes some of the viewpoints are very disagreeable, but to call the whole thread loony tunes says more about you than them. 

Leans, lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The point is FATWA is being used not only for posters you see but anyone who disagrees with group think of this board. To get rid of the latter you have to allow the former to happen. If it gets bad enough a moderator can remove that user. 

Exactly. Report it or put it on ignore. Don't round up the posse and get out the pitch forks. You want to neg a specific post, fine. But then people go back and neg all the other non offensive posts to get the fatwa going.

This place has a rep for letting shit go. New posters come over here with a certain expectation. It takes a minute to understand what is acceptable. You give them a chance to feel things out and you might get a decent contributor out of it. 

And fuck you @troph for making me agree with bo&w. This is like the time I agreed with helobious. I need a shower. 

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Thats fine and I would agree with you 100%. I haven’t participated in a FATWA on a Texas fan I don’t think ever. 

So that’s NOT what I do with it.  You denigrate LGBTQ people - I don’t mean you think I should be banned from rec league tennis or whatever - I mean you say mean shit then I neg instead of report, that’s it.  

If you are an absolutely shit stain troll, I’ll probably join but those folks are clear and it has nothing to do with views and everything to do with being an absolute waste of time and a degradation of the experience.

The equation for bringing in new, quality opposing team fans is already known. They’ve told us. It’s not allowing them to call people fags in discussion threads or threadshitting - it’s MS paint dick pics. The original content Thujone was doing brought some of our best posters from other universities.  and the answer is simpler. Funny new content similar to dick picks pushed out on platforms younger people will see. That’s it. 

But lowering standards to allow posters who engage thread shitting or in slur slinging culture isn’t going to get you g650, sbbruin, and others like them. It will ruin the board. 

Edited by troph

29 minutes ago, BP44 said:

I’m not a sock. I’ve been around since HF days. HF was very discussion-oriented and balanced. Shaggy leaned more left than you recall but certainly was more balanced. I’m not politically inclined and don’t really care too much - except CR makes Texas look as bad as Texags and their idiotic politics forum. 

27 minutes ago, immamac said:

This. Bingo.

Cloak Room is a quarantine.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Exactly. Report it or put it on ignore. Don't round up the posse and get out the pitch forks. You want to neg a specific post, fine. But then people go back and neg all the other non offensive posts to get the fatwa going.

This place has a rep for letting shit go. New posters come over here with a certain expectation. It takes a minute to understand what is acceptable. You give them a chance to feel things out and you might get a decent contributor out of it. 

And fuck you @troph for making me agree with bo&w. This is like the time I agreed with helobious. I need a shower. 

Suck my … shit never mind. 

and I explained myself. I’m not a FATWA leader here bark at someone else. 

32 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Btw I actually lurk boards for good content … to learn about opposing teams not to stalk. I’m happy to sift through garbage bins to find a few nuggets of content. It’s actually curiosity. This instance with hardcore husky was shockingly bad imo. There is literally no analysis whatsoever over there and more slurs than I could count. 

Edited by troph

47 minutes ago, troph said:

funny I think quite a few do post there, many of the prolific posters across the forums are there, and some of the smartest posters on this board are there. Even the ones I disagree with I will acknowledge are outliers (in a positive sense) in terms of their intellectual abilities.

Hence @immamac’s dilemma. 

52 minutes ago, immamac said:

there are more than 2000 unique posters in CR - this is false. I think you are just pissed off about politics which is fine. 

There’s a lot to be upset about politically these days. I understand. But CR is an embarrassment and you know it. 

49 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

This is absolutely true.  I know for a fact that Cash4Gold, MyPillow, FTX, Dogecoin, and at least 3 of the largest crystal healing bracelet manufacturers in Sedona were all considering high dollar sponsorships here, and each of them pulled the plug when they read Cloak Room.  Those are opportunities we will never get back.  And not just monetary opportunities.  Think of how much we’d be favored in the bowl game if Jonathan Brooks had access to those healing crystals and ivermectin.  He would have only been out 2 weeks and would be rested and ready!

My first pos rep. 

49 minutes ago, Pancho said:

No, HF was right to very right, Shaggy was definitely right of center. And, no HF wasn’t discussion oriented—I got banned by Katy many times for pointing out hypocrisy by posters and their leanings. 

IT has a politics forum. Horns 247 doesn’t, but other 247 boards do and they hide it, similar to ou who has a “hunting forum” on their 247 but when you go in there, it’s nothing but politics. Every other message board for colleges of the Big 12 and SEC also have political forums.

If you don’t care what CR has to say, why are you whining about it? You haven’t exactly given a reason as to why it’s an embarrassment for UT other than you just don’t like to go in there. And if you don’t like to go in there, then don’t. Right now, you’re just bitching to be a bitch. 

HF was center. I know several that got banned by Katy for abbreviating “Palis” during an aughts Levant conflict.  Shag was very balanced. We’ve gone increasingly right to left over the last 20 years which is very understandable (as have I). 

48 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s the fucking Hanna Barbera cartoon soundboard.  It’s nuts. There is no room for any opposing viewpoint (and in a lot of cases with the right these days, there IS no opposing viewpoint).  Your summary judgement about me versus them is par for the course. I’m only commenting in the thread asking for opinions. 

47 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Supporting Ron Paul was the cool thing to do on shaggy.  That politics board was way more out of the mainstream than either hornfans or here.

This. 

It’s not a dilemma - those posters didn’t lose their minds in CR but become amazing contributors elsewhere on the board - not sure if you’ve noticed the Republican Party ran off the road to the far right. There are plenty of former horn fans posters here - myself included - and live and let live types but there’s not a rational second party. If you’d pay attention you’d realize there are dozens and dozen and dozens of reluctant democratic voters here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, BP44 said:

Hence @immamac’s dilemma. 

There’s a lot to be upset about politically these days. I understand. But CR is an embarrassment and you know it. 

My first pos rep. 

HF was center. I know several that got banned by Katy for abbreviating “Palis” during an aughts Levant conflict.  Shag was very balanced. We’ve gone increasingly right to left over the last 20 years which is very understandable (as have I). 

It’s the fucking Hanna Barbera cartoon soundboard.  It’s nuts. There is no room for any opposing viewpoint (and in a lot of cases with the right these days, there IS no opposing viewpoint).  Your summary judgement about me versus them is par for the course. I’m only commenting in the thread asking for opinions. 

This. 

Hey real quick, just a temp check: was the 2020 election stolen?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Logistically speaking, and I admit that the CR can be an echo chamber of the same 37 people having a laugh at the expense of stupid people, how do you cordon off that forum from the rest of the site?  Like a set of requirements like IPIHB kinda thing or?  What does that look like?  Admittedly, it's not the best front door for the site, but I really don't see that as an issue.  I don't think Imma and this site have lost sponsors because somebody posted, "Hey, what if some people at the Capitol that day are actually convicted felons now?"  I guess you could bury it under another "level" and I doubt most folks would have a problem with it.  

As stated above repeatedly, it doesn't leak out into the rest of the site very often and when it does...it's self-policed/reported/negged/etc.  It does present a problem with legit, major news stories though.  Something that always needs evolving moderation.  Plus, my computer company put this cool thing on my computer where I can just scroll past shit I don't feel like reading.  Works not just on surly, but on news sites as well.  

Only time you worry about a surly poster is when they quit bitching about CR, Shaka, or the Sunday starter. 

I've been waiting 7 years for somebody from any of the old sites to provide me with the evidence that supports their inherent feelings about who the best President EVAH! is.  And nothing substantive has ever been posted.  Until then, it's actually pretty fucking funny in the CR if you know where to look.  Then again, humor takes a modicum of self-reflect, wit, and erudite literacy.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, troph said:

Cloak room isn’t what would drive a sponsor away. It’s language, porn, and irreverence. So we should all pony up some $$$.

Generally speaking it’s this. A lot of it is “we don’t buy ads directly anymore talk to our ad network” and then that ad network wants to buy shit at stupid dumpster rates that make no sense. 

The sponsors all have significant ROI from the site it’s not hard to get a return if you are a business that offers a service or a good product here as the user base is extremely loyal. Like straight up it’s kinda weird that we don’t have a law firm sponsor for all legal needs as weird as that would be it would kill it here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, troph said:

Cloak room isn’t what would drive a sponsor away. It’s language, porn, and irreverence. So we should all pony up some $$$.

What about irreverent language porn?  I would pay to watch that.  I like being talked down to while going down.  

Just now, immamac said:

Generally speaking it’s this. A lot of it is “we don’t buy ads directly anymore talk to our ad network” and then that ad network wants to buy shit at stupid dumpster rates that make no sense. 

The sponsors all have significant ROI from the site it’s not hard to get a return if you are a business that offers a service or a good product here as the user base is extremely loyal. Like straight up it’s kinda weird that we don’t have a law firm sponsor for all legal needs as weird as that would be it would kill it here. 

I dunno law firms are weird. I’ve spent $0 on advertising in 15 years of running my own firm. And not everyone is a potential client.