Texas Football Roster 2024 -- "You never lose a game if the opponent doesn’t score" DKR

LTtxfan

Thx for this recent Depth Chart post @AP101S

Offensive Notes:

- Sanders is unlikely to return. Not sure about Ewers or Brooks. Leaving them in until I hear something definitive.

- Mitchell is not listed, but he might return.

- Majors was recognized on Senior Day (which is why he is in italics), but is expected to be back.

image.png

Defensive Notes:

- Carter, Gbenda, and Watts were all recognized on Senior Day, but are expected to be back.

- There's a lot of position flexibility, so not sure where to put some of these names (e.g., Mukuba might start at Star).

- Not sure who will be starting at Mike. I showed Gbenda and Hill as starters, but I thought they both played Will, so not sure how it will end up.

- Never sure who to put as Buck vs. Sam, especially the RS FR.

image.png

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TzoBTIvCXfZIk7Sz3C9txMg0yPvrXyVM/edit#gid=1682239859

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe we are the bird and Evans is the worm and his pistol is a metaphor for a terrible attitude and cancer on a roster that we have to avoid, or maybe we are the worm and all of college football is the bird and the pistol is a metaphor for Texas being back, but I’m thinking we are the worm and all of the SEC is the bird and they think they are going to eat Texas alive - SECSECSEC - but the pistol is our metaphor for the trophy after winning the conference championship in our first year in the SEC.

// Jules talking to Ringo at the diner

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 minutes ago, troph said:

Maybe we are the bird and Evans is the worm and his pistol is a metaphor for a terrible attitude and cancer on a roster that we have to avoid, or maybe we are the worm and all of college football is the bird and the pistol is a metaphor for Texas being back, but I’m thinking we are the worm and all of the SEC is the bird and they think Texas isn't SECSECSEC ready but the pistol is our metaphor for winning the conference championship in our first year in the SECSECSEC

// Jules talking to Ringo at the diner

I like the third one. 

• Haha 1

NEW GUYS 
Screenshot_20240105-064710_kindlephoto-3394075.thumb.png.3613da2559ed19808e2c0d31de2592bb.png
Screenshot_20240105-064839_kindlephoto-3481880.thumb.png.4f5cc9e3f75c3fba523de73f2e10531b.png
Screenshot_20240105-065003_kindlephoto-3565600.thumb.png.86e8716d8c3675361ad174944e75cb0e.png
Screenshot_20240105-065115_kindlephoto-3638528.thumb.png.29818af6322ccf0b015c417cf6e82ddc.png
Screenshot_20240105-065236_kindlephoto-3719895.thumb.png.3d8781bd9e56de8ebd8b2ffc5d9f668d.png
Screenshot_20240105-065451_kindlephoto-3853984.png.538cec5eb9abf74dfda190a7644b54da.png
Idk why I was thinking Kobe Black was a 5*? No matter though, kid can play. It is cool the services are now ranking transfers on actual CFB production, much more accurate than those coming out of HS.

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

DT depth may be an issue in 2024

Seems like a weird move. Wasn't incredibly productive, but was solid depth. Seems like he'd have a good shot at more PT with most of the room being so young. I can't see anyone offering him a bag. 

Why tf would he do that being in line to possibly start next season? Makes no sense, but then again the same could be said of a lot of transfers these days.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, ousux said:
41 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Why tf would he do that being in line to possibly start next season? Makes no sense, but then again the same could be said of a lot of transfers these days.

Maybe Bo Davis told him to get in the motherfucker. We’ll see how he plays the portal to replace him.

Edited by USNALonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• blacklab changed the title to Texas Football Roster 2024 -- "You never lose a game if the opponent doesn’t score" DKR
11 minutes ago, Royale with cheese said:

You'd best talk to Tippi Hedren before you go making rash assumptions. But then, I didn't see her packin' . . .

Hitchcock was packing things for her. 

Melanie Griffith was the best thing Tippi ever did.

• Hook 'Em 1

2024 Defensive Roster should have more playmakers with speed and quickness.  Replacing T'Sweat & Murphy won't be easy, but lots of room for improvement with the rest of the defense. 

Our 2023 defense didn't generate enough turnovers especially fumbles.  Need to see more "strip, punch & rip" from our tacklers.    Pass coverage skills have got to improve.  And please PK get them to generate a good fuckin' pass rush in 2024.  

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

2024 Defensive Roster should have more playmakers with speed and quickness.  Replacing T'Sweat & Murphy won't be easy, but lots of room for improvement with the rest of the defense. 

Our 2023 defense didn't generate enough turnovers especially fumbles.  Need to see more "strip, punch & rip" from our tacklers.    Pass coverage skills have got to improve.  And please PK get them to generate a good fuckin' pass rush in 2024.  

Hopefully we can make some headway towards being DBU again. Existing players a year older, stud recruits coming in. Perhaps a better pass rush yields changes in type of coverage. Personally, I want closer coverage at line of scrimmage. We are so vulnerable to teams with decent passing.

Is Gideon a problem?

• Rage+1 1

Our interior DL will be softer and don’t love that going into the SEC, but the pressure from the edges should be better than anything we’ve seen the past 10 years.  That pressure should also help our secondary. 

Watts leaving per Inside Texas. 
Not a surprise, would have been a luxury to have him back for a other year. What about the Wake Forest kid? Muhammad will be ready to lock down his side next season but it would be nice to have some experience at corner.

13 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Rumor is Watts was asked to move to Safety and said no.  

It was either that or get passed up by Muhammed. He would have been additive in the safety room, but we won't really take a step back at db. Kind of a bummer since he has no shot at corner in the nfl.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Tracking Portal Destinations (Update 1/5/24)

• DB  Larry Turner-Gooden  San Jose St.
  • DB   Xavion Brice     North Texas
  • DB   BJ Allen Jr.       North Texas
  • DB   Jalen Catalon
  • WR   Casey Cain       UNLV
  • WR   Isaiah Neyor
  • QB    Maalik Murphy    DUKE
  • OL/DL  Sawyer Goram-Welch
  • DL      Kris Ross
  • DL      Trill Carter
  • S        Jerrin Thompson
  • S        Kitan Crawford
  • QB      Charles Wright

Watts did well for us but I am ready to see what is next.  He has the size to potentially have a nice NFL career but I felt like more often than not he lost 50/50 balls and was just not quite good enough to make the big play.  He rarely got burnt outright but he always just seemed a step slow and was a half second away from stopping the big play that just happened. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Watts did well for us but I am ready to see what is next.  He has the size to potentially have a nice NFL career but I felt like more often than not he lost 50/50 balls and was just not quite good enough to make the big play.  He rarely got burnt outright but he always just seemed a step slow and was a half second away from stopping the big play that just happened. 

He does not have the cover skills to be an NFL CB.  Maybe safety . . . ?