Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

7 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Seen this show before but you’re right, we will have to wait and see what happens.

Just not ready to declare next season lost until I see what our roster looks like in August. Because people did that last year after the tournament (10 win season incoming!!!) and we basically replicated Beard’s first season 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I'm sure the goalposts will move.  "No no no... I meant we will have a losing season in CONFERENCE". 

Then... "No no no, I meant we will have a losing season against top-10 teams."

Do you not want Texas to be good at Basketball? Why do you want to set the bar low so that your guy can cross it and say it's all good, as he did better than expected.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I’m willing to put down cash that Texas basketball will finish above 500 next year. @closetojumping will acknowledge that I pay when I lose which is often

No shit we will finish above .500 lol. If not he should be shitcanned without hesitation. Terry needs to make the tourney again next year. 

12 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

No shit we will finish above .500 lol. If not he should be shitcanned without hesitation. Terry needs to make the tourney again next year. 

We also don't even know our schedule lol 

45 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Do you not want Texas to be good at Basketball? Why do you want to set the bar low so that your guy can cross it and say it's all good, as he did better than expected.

I just like clarity.  If someone is going to be a blowhard and say stupid shit like we are going to finish 10-20 next year, then they should clarify their projection and stand by it.

And in the spirit of clarity, I will reiterate my position on RT.  He is performing slightly better than I expected and right at our historical average over the last 25+ years.  And Texas can do a lot better than that. 

He isn't a shitty coach, or even an average coach considering the whole landscape of college basketball.  He is a good coach. But he will likely never be an elite coach and that is what Texas should want (and what we had with Beard).  

The fact that he is a good coach is actually our worst case scenario.  If he was shitty, he would indeed go 10-20 and we could fire him easily. But because he is a good coach with tremendous resources, we will likely make the tournament every year with an occasional run.  (Hell, we could still make a run THIS year.)  We will finish in the top half of the SEC next year.  We will reload with some good players in the portal.  And it is going to be very unlikely that RT will fair hard enough to be fired before his contract ends.

I think most of our fans understand this about RT - even the ones who are entrenched on both polar ends of the spectrum.  The ones who are overly negative want him to suck so that we can fail quickly and move on.  The ones who are overly positive know he is likely to limp along for years making the tourney and hope against hope that he will outperform expectations.  Neither scenario is likely to happen and both are just coping mechanisms. 

We are all stuck with good, but not great RT for the foreseeable future.

• Hook 'Em 6

51 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

He needs to win some games in the tourney. Not just make it.  Most teams with a pulse will

• Hook 'Em 1

This team has two high level offensive players, the rest are unreliable at best, inept at worst. 

Abmas looks bad some games because we can’t punish teams offensively for over playing him. He is successful in spite of the roster. 

Disu is basically the same, and when he goes out Max is 5 on 1 offensively. 

And RT fucked up putting Horton back in the starting 5. Our best chance for high level wins is to surround Disu and Max with our three best defenders and Brock. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Because people did that last year after the tournament (10 win season incoming!!!)

that didn’t happen after the tournament, it happened after we were a month into the offseason and all the news we’d gotten was that our entire recruiting class had opted out of the NLI’s, that dillon mitchell was gone for the nba draft, and that all of our transfer targets were choosing other schools. people had every reason to be worried.

41 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

This team has two high level offensive players, the rest are unreliable at best, inept at worst. 

Abmas looks bad some games because we can’t punish teams offensively for over playing him. He is successful in spite of the roster. 

Disu is basically the same, and when he goes out Max is 5 on 1 offensively. 

And RT fucked up putting Horton back in the starting 5. Our best chance for high level wins is to surround Disu and Max with our three best defenders and Brock. 

@HookEm Disu is our only player who plays consistently well when he is on the floor and he was not one of RT's recruits. I disagree with the position you are taking that he is a good coach. Our offensive scheme is basically dribble, dribble and jack up 3s. We have no consistent defensive identity. We can get up for some games like an underdog playing Texas does and we look good when our 3s are falling. I don't know how you watch this and say he is a good coach.

Sorry, I didn't mean to quote @ChickenSandwich. I agree with you.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

The only thing worse than watching this team shit all over themselves is the usual suspects here defending RT ad nauseam.

He sucks and always has sucked. 

He was the head coach for our first visit to the second weekend in March Madness since George W was president. Your overrate Texas Basketball history. If Disu didn’t go down we likely make the final four last year.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

He was the head coach for our first visit to the second weekend in March Madness since George W was president. Your overrate Texas Basketball history. If Disu didn’t go down we likely make the final four last year.

Granted we have had a mediocre history in this sports, but you can't change that culture if you keep accepting mediocrity. The fanbase was energized by Beard, as we thought we finally had someone who could take us to the promised land. It's deflating for most of us now that we appear to be heading back to mediocrity.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Granted we have had a mediocre history in this sports, but you can't change that culture if you keep accepting mediocrity. The fanbase was energized by Beard, as we thought we finally had someone who could take us to the promised land. It's deflating for most of us now that we appear to be heading back to mediocrity.

Chris Beard won 0 conference tournament games and 1 tournament game

Rodney Terry won a conference tournament title and 3 tournament games.

The whitewashing of what a wife beating coach accomplished here is impressive.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I don't know how you watch this and say he is a good coach.

I invite you to watch some non-tournament teams.  The college basketball product across the board is pretty shitty.  When we play teams outside the top-50, we win 95% of the time under RT.

When I say he is a "good coach", I mean it holistically, not just gameday scheme and X's and Os. In my opinion, he is a great recruiter and very good at retaining talent.  He is a solid motivator and the team tends to play hard.  Under other coaches, they could have quit last year when Beard F'ed up or this year in January when it seemed like the wheels were coming off. We want to attribute that to the team being "player led", but that itself is an identity that the coach fosters or destroys.  

He experiments with lineups and the team seems to get better as the year goes on.  Most of our players have developed pretty well, even if Hunter can be frustrating.  He isn't an egomaniac and seems like he respects and leverages his assistants (and they are all pretty solid).  

The main problem we have had is consistency.  At times, the team looks like a Final Four caliber team.  The blowout win at Tech was extremely impressive in that environment.  The first half of Baylor and K-State were about as good as any Texas team has looked in 20 years. But then some adversity happens, like Disu getting hurt or getting in foul trouble, and the rest of the team fails to pick up the slack.  They are not mentally tough like some of the teams we have had in the past.  But on the flip side, pushing players to the breaking point constantly also has its risks, like the late season collapse by some Barnes teams.  Or the heavy attrition under Beard just about everywhere he goes.

"Good" is relative anyway.  I think we can agree he hasn't been good enough.  

8 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Lol what? He took over a rotten culture left by Shaka Smart. He has a long track of success. He energized the fanbase and made watching Texas basketball fun again. There is a lot to dislike Beard for as a person but what he did for Texas basketball in a very short period time is not one of them. 

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I invite you to watch some non-tournament teams.  The college basketball product across the board is pretty shitty.  When we play teams outside the top-50, we win 95% of the time under RT.

When I say he is a "good coach", I mean it holistically, not just gameday scheme and X's and Os. In my opinion, he is a great recruiter and very good at retaining talent.  He is a solid motivator and the team tends to play hard.  Under other coaches, they could have quit last year when Beard F'ed up or this year in January when it seemed like the wheels were coming off. We want to attribute that to the team being "player led", but that itself is an identity that the coach fosters or destroys.  

He experiments with lineups and the team seems to get better as the year goes on.  Most of our players have developed pretty well, even if Hunter can be frustrating.  He isn't an egomaniac and seems like he respects and leverages his assistants (and they are all pretty solid).  

The main problem we have had is consistency.  At times, the team looks like a Final Four caliber team.  The blowout win at Tech was extremely impressive in that environment.  The first half of Baylor and K-State were about as good as any Texas team has looked in 20 years. But then some adversity happens, like Disu getting hurt or getting in foul trouble, and the rest of the team fails to pick up the slack.  They are not mentally tough like some of the teams we have had in the past.  But on the flip side, pushing players to the breaking point constantly also has its risks, like the late season collapse by some Barnes teams.  Or the heavy attrition under Beard just about everywhere he goes.

"Good" is relative anyway.  I think we can agree he hasn't been good enough.  

I hate to quote Fran but he described this syndrom very eloquently during one of our games ( i believe it was the tech game). Big 12 has a number of teams that look like world beaters in 4-5 games and then look awful in other 4-5 games. That's your middle of the pack. How you look during the rest of the games defines you how good or bad you are.

22 minutes ago, HookEm said:

-the team has regressed since RT put Horton back in the lineup and reduced Weaver's minutes.  

The main problem we have had is consistency.  At times, the team looks like a Final Four caliber team.  -

-Nonsense.  You are being fooled by the handful of times we hit the terrible 3s we are taking.  When the shots stop falling for the role players, the team crumbles (see Tech - lasted two halfs, and Baylor, Kansas KSt etc where we could only keep up the lucky shooting for a half.  We don't shoot well often.  We are also so poor at perimeter defense, in games where we shoot out of our minds (Baylor 1st half), we can't break away due to open 3s.

The blowout win at Tech was extremely impressive in that environment.  The first half of Baylor and K-State were about as good as any Texas team has looked in 20 years. But then some adversity happens, like Disu getting hurt or getting in foul trouble, and the rest of the team fails to pick up the slack.  They are not mentally tough like some of the teams we have had in the past.  But on the flip side, pushing players to the breaking point constantly also has its risks, like the late season collapse by some Barnes teams.  Or the heavy attrition under Beard just about everywhere he goes.

"Good" is relative anyway.  I think we can agree he hasn't been good enough.  -Average is the word you are looking for

17 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Beard would never lose BLOW A 20-POINT LEAD in the first game of the big 12 tourney.

(that was shit tho)

At least Beard had such a stellar coaching resume that he was able to deflect any responsibility from himself and throw his players under the bus after they blew a 20-point lead and lost to TCU in their first-round Big 12 tournament game two years ago.

You know -- shredded their dignity so they'd be ready to focus on reaching the Sweet 16 the next weekend. 

“I think we’ve got a bunch of guys that think they have the answers, but they really don’t,” Beard said.

Wait... what? 

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/2022/03/10/texas-christian-university-beats-texas-basketball-big-12-mens-tournament/6991607001/

34 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

dude. stop. this is why the word disingenuous keeps getting used. this pro-RT crowd incessantly boils down what beard did here to “he won one tournament game”.’ stop it. just stop. in one breath you use UT Basketball’s mediocre history to praise RT for “leading” us to the elite 8 (when we all know good and damn well that it was beard’s players who led that run), only then you turn around and denigrate the job that beard did to end our  8 year stretch without a tourney win, suddenly ignoring said mediocre history and what a huge achievement that was for this program.

beard took over a roster that couldn’t even fill out a starting lineup, signed the no.1 transfer class in america, finished behind only KU, BU, and TTU in the toughest league in america, and then ended our nearly decade long tourney drought, again, with a team that had no size, no athleticism, no shooting, and no nba talent. he then brought in tyrese hunter and jabari rice + a good recruiting class and by december of his second year he had Texas at no.1 in kenpom for the first time in school history, and nationally regarded as one of the 3-4 favorites to win the ncaa tourney.

speaking of school history, chris beard took over a program where fan interest had been killed by shaka smart’s unique blend of top 5 national recruiting + inept teams + horrible results, and all Beard did was create the highest level of fan interest and best game day atmosphere in the history of the program, essentially overnight. chris beard was doing at Texas what he had done everywhere else he’s ever been: make his program elite overnight by instilling his ferocious yet consistent style of play and coaching up his players to be able to execute it.

every single thing that rodney terry has “accomplished” at Texas he did so with beard’s players who were already well drilled 20-somethings with tons of experience and prior elite coaching. when RT has been in charge on his own he has produced one of the worst defenses in modern Texas history, THE worst three point defense we’ve ever had, a completely volatile and mercurial product on the floor, he’s taken a wildly consistent team and made them wildly inconsistent, and he’s taken all of the basic tenets of wining which his predecessors rick barnes and chris beard tried to instill in him and he’s thrown them out the window. bad shots, low IQ players, crappy defense; its as if he learned nothing from them.

IQ is down, consistency is down, wins are down, defense is WAY down, fan interest is down, and all of this has happened despite RT taking over a situation that was 1,000x more set up for success than the situation that Beard had taken over just 18 months prior. and you guys want to come in here and seriously claim that RT has already done more here than Beard ever did. what a load of horse shit.

these incessant arguments saying that RT has accomplished more than beard did here are one of two things: a downright lie that you’re trying to perpetrate because you’re butthurt about Beard, or a scathing indictment on your ability to understand what you are watching when you watch Texas basketball. either way, everyone here will be better off when you people stop it with this completely disingenuous nonsense. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I get confused, do we give all of the credit to RT for last season, or are we still calling him a first year coach?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Agreed.  If we start six, we would win more often.

• Haha 3

all Beard did was create the highest level of fan interest and best game day atmosphere in the history of the program, 

Again, I'm not sure how Beard gets credit for the UT Regents decision to blow up the Erwin Center and build a new facility for basketball, but you keep doing you. 

• Fuck You 4

3 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Again, I'm not sure how Beard gets credit for the UT Regents decision to blow up the Erwin Center and build a new facility for basketball, but you keep doing you. 

When it comes to student attendance, Chris Beard is slowly but surely changing Texas basketball culture – The Daily Texan

Finance senior Spencer Van Gelder was one of the students denied entry. Saturday’s game was the first time that he was turned away from the Frank Erwin Center. 

“We went to the student section entrance,” Van Gelder said. “At that gate, they told us that they weren’t letting any more students in.” 

For Texas, a full student section is almost unheard of. The last time a men’s basketball game sold out was in 2016, when Texas hosted No. 1 Kansas. 

After Saturday’s 52-51 win over Tennessee, Beard thanked the fans that sold out the Drum for affecting the outcome of the game. 

“Today’s crowd was the best in college basketball,” Beard said. “There might have been one as good, but there wasn’t one better and they helped us win the game.” 

Beard has gone out of his way to incentivize students to show up to games and build a home-court advantage. The head coach visited multiple fraternity houses in the preseason,  hosted a party at the UT tower for the student body in November and hosted an event on campus called “Coach Beard and Coach Beard,” interviewing actor Brendan Hunt from the popular TV show Ted Lasso. 

The program also continues to provide freebies for students that show up to games. Free breakfast tacos were given out to the first 500 students that showed up to the Jan. 22 game against Oklahoma State, which had 13,203 people in attendance. The Erwin Center’s total capacity is 16,540. 

Beard is slowly but surely building up a basketball culture at Texas that aims to compare to blue blood programs like Kansas and Kentucky. He and his team have already experienced the environment of a “basketball school” — loud and sold-out student sections. 

Texas’ game against Gonzaga was a “tent city” game for the Bulldogs with students camping out days in advance of the game to secure their seats inside the arena. 

• Hook 'Em 3

anyone who understands what they are watching saw chris beard take our defense to a level that went beyond 99% of even rick barnes’s best defenses, and he did so without having the likes of Doj Balbay, Avery Bradley, Damion James, and Dexter Pittman all playing on one team. anyone who understands ball knows how remarkable the defensive coaching job was by beard with a roster full of players who were pretty much all no more than 70%-80% as good as the type of players who are ideally a fit to excel in beard’s system.

so of course, anyone who knows what they are watching saw the immediate and drastic drop off in defensive intensity, buy-in, and results from the very moment that RT took over. the team literally went from being a U of H level defense to a crappy defense overnight. simply replacing beard with RT reduced our team to a shadow of its former self. it was immediate, it was evident, and it was jarring to watch.

this drastic and immediate drop off is the reason that i have been so completely flabbergasted that we have so many people here who either are pro-RT or who “want to give him time”. if you understand what you’re watching then you knew right away that RT had taken over a ready-made title contender and immediately reduced it to a shell of itself. that was your sign. that should have shown you everything you needed to see.

hell, most of you DID notice, as our results under Terry were totally underwhelming, and the consensus on this very board early last march was that RT would not be hired as our next HC. it was done. only then the postseason run happened, and suddenly those three weeks of better basketball (which was the product of a bunch of 22 year old men fighting their asses off knowing every game could be their last one together, and not the product of RT’s amazing coaching) made a whole bunch of you forget what you’d already watched and seen and understood, and now here you are a year later leading the charge for patience for RT. it’s surreal. it’s just surreal to me.

• Hook 'Em 2

•the roster that chris beard inherited 

•the results after he took over

•the trajectory of the program 

•the roster that RT inherited

•the results after he took over

•the trajectory of the program 

you pro-RT people go ahead and fill out this form for me, and then come back here add tell all of us again how RT deserves this job, deserves more time, and has done a better job than Beard.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

This is so fucking dumb. Beard was the sole reason that the first season at Moody was electric. We blew it big time by getting rid of the best coach we’ll ever have. Just as stupid as Tech firing the Pirate. They still haven’t recovered from that mistake and it’s been over 15+ years since they allowed CJK5H and his idiot son to kill their program. Beard should have been suspended until the criminal case went through its process and then reinstated once the charges were lifted. Hopefully, we can hire a better basketball coach but it will be next to impossible to find a guy who brought the entire package that Beard brought to the table. For me, watching a Beard-less Texas program play is depressing as fuck and has killed my interest in the program. I am not the only one. I sit stewing in envy of Cougar High whenever I watch their games longing for a coach like Sampson. 

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Beard juiced the crowds in Lubbock the same way. It's just part of his game plan wherever he is. The new arena is an irrelevant detail. Any coach worth his salt is going to dedicate part of his time to encouraging students and fans to show up and be loud and he's a great motivator in that vein.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you pro-RT people go ahead and fill out this form for me

Scroll up and you will see I posted much of what you are asking for. 

Chris Beard inherited: Andrew Jones, Matt Coleman, Courtney Ramey, Greg Brown, Jericho Sims, Kai Jones, Jase Febres, Donovan Williams, Royce Hamm, Kamaka Hepa, Gerald Liddell and Brock Cunningham.  All of those dudes had eligibility left. 

He managed to keep: Andrew Jones, Courtney Ramey, Brock Cunningham, Jase Febres

Whatever. He rebuilt the roster. When he went to Ole Miss, he lost all but like 3 guys there as well.  And he will lose a ton from Ole Miss this year and will rebuild again. It is kind of his M.O.

The program was definitely on a better trajectory under Beard. You would have to be a moron not to see it.  And for as good as Beard is as a coach, he is an even better salesman.  He knows how to generate fan interest better than literally anyone, and then he backs it up on the court.  RT ain't Chris Beard.  Only trolls would argue otherwise.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

You may as well stop following Texas basketball then, because he is going to be with us for a while.

If he can keep delivering 20 win seasons and NCAA appearances he will. That seems to be good enough for us.

But I don't know. This year doesn't feel like his floor here.

The program was definitely on a better trajectory under Beard. You would have to be a moron not to see it.  And for as good as Beard is as a coach, he is an even better salesman.  He knows how to generate fan interest better than literally anyone, and then he backs it up on the court.  RT ain't Chris Beard.  Only trolls would argue otherwise.

That brief period he was coach was the most dynamic period since the early days of Tom Penders. For all of Barnes' excellence he didn't really get the fanbase fired up. From the day he got hired to the day he got arrested was a pretty magical period, you felt like we were headed upwards to something great.

Ah well. It was fun while it lasted. 

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Finance senior Spencer Van Gelder was one of the students denied entry. Saturday’s game was the first time that he was turned away from the Frank Erwin Center. 

“We went to the student section entrance,” Van Gelder said. “At that gate, they told us that they weren’t letting any more students in.” 

The Abe Lemons years were equally as raucous, though not noted because of the cavernous Erwin Center. His post-game fetes at the Red Tomato were the hottest ticket in town.

If a single sellout is your barometer for changing the culture, then the same thing happened for the Texas-Texas A&M game in Spring 1985. Credit Bob Weltlich for that one. 

The Erwin Center was regularly sold out for conference games in the early Penders years. And -- even though to fans in the mezzanine it looked like 10 Ken dolls fighting for a peanut -- they were loud if something exciting happened.  

The sold-out student section stormed the court against Iowa State in an early-2000s win courtesy of Rick Barnes. 

Again, you can't claim Chris Beard changed the culture when the pattern is the same -- half-empty Moody Center in November and December, packed house for conference games now that the team is good. The only difference between now and 1990 is the university has a basketball arena instead of a multi-purpose center that was LITERALLY designed more to accommodate for a Ringling Bros. circus (the tunnel entrance had to be large enough for elephants) than college basketball.

• Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

This is so fucking dumb. Beard was the sole reason that the first season at Moody was electric. We blew it big time by getting rid of the best coach we’ll ever have.

Beard improved the product over what Shaka Smart had offered.

He wasn't a miracle worker entering the enchanted land of fandom by waving a wand and sprinkling some magic fairy dust over the UT alumni and student body to wake us up after 118 years of not being aware that Texas had a basketball team.  

Edited by Reality Check
  • Fuck You 4

26 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

We blew it big time by getting rid of the best coach we’ll ever have. Just as stupid as Tech firing the Pirate.

Look I really enjoyed Beard but this is ridiculous. He hadn't actually done shit here yet. Who knows  who our future coaches might be? 

Also we had to fire him. It wasn't a knee jerk thing. We took our time and investigated thoroughly.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Look I really enjoyed Beard but this is ridiculous. He hadn't actually done shit here yet. Who knows  who our future coaches might be? 

Also we had to fire him. It wasn't a knee jerk thing. We took our time and investigated thoroughly.

Also he wasn't very apologetic and was downright an asshole about it to CDC.  The attorney letter sealed his fate.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

When it comes to student attendance, Chris Beard is slowly but surely changing Texas basketball culture – The Daily Texan

For Texas, a full student section is almost unheard of. The last time a men’s basketball game sold out was in 2016, when Texas hosted No. 1 Kansas. 

After Saturday’s 52-51 win over Tennessee, Beard thanked the fans that sold out the Drum for affecting the outcome of the game. 

“Today’s crowd was the best in college basketball,” Beard said. “There might have been one as good, but there wasn’t one better and they helped us win the game.” 

Beard has gone out of his way to incentivize students to show up to games and build a home-court advantage. The head coach visited multiple fraternity houses in the preseason,  hosted a party at the UT tower for the student body in November and hosted an event on campus called “Coach Beard and Coach Beard,” interviewing actor Brendan Hunt from the popular TV show Ted Lasso. 

The program also continues to provide freebies for students that show up to games. Free breakfast tacos were given out to the first 500 students that showed up to the Jan. 22 game against Oklahoma State, which had 13,203 people in attendance. The Erwin Center’s total capacity is 16,540. 

Beard is slowly but surely building up a basketball culture at Texas that aims to compare to blue blood programs like Kansas and Kentucky. He and his team have already experienced the environment of a “basketball school” — loud and sold-out student sections. 

Texas’ game against Gonzaga was a “tent city” game for the Bulldogs with students camping out days in advance of the game to secure their seats inside the arena. 

I don't understand how a Texas fan can deny what Beard did for the program in such a short period and the trajectory he was in. It just bottles my mind! Unfucking believavble!

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

The Abe Lemons years were equally as raucous, though not noted because of the cavernous Erwin Center. His post-game fetes at the Red Tomato were the hottest ticket in town.

If a single sellout is your barometer for changing the culture, then the same thing happened for the Texas-Texas A&M game in Spring 1985. Credit Bob Weltlich for that one. 

The Erwin Center was regularly sold out for conference games in the early Penders years. And -- even though to fans in the mezzanine it looked like 10 Ken dolls fighting for a peanut -- they were loud if something exciting happened.  

The sold-out student section stormed the court against Iowa State in an early-2000s win courtesy of Rick Barnes. 

Again, you can't claim Chris Beard changed the culture when the pattern is the same -- half-empty Moody Center in November and December, packed house for conference games now that the team is good. The only difference between now and 1990 is the university has a basketball arena instead of a multi-purpose center that was LITERALLY designed more to accommodate for a Ringling Bros. circus (the tunnel entrance had to be large enough for elephants) than college basketball.

The article posted was from 2021. The last home sellout before that was in 2016 vs #1 Kansas. 

So after the second sellout in 2021, Near had doubled the number of home sellouts over the past 5 years. Lmao

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The article posted was from 2021. The last home sellout before that was in 2016 vs #1 Kansas. 

So after the second sellout in 2021, Near had doubled the number of home sellouts over the past 5 years. Lmao

Again, Shaka Smart put a shitty product on the floor. 

ShadowOp's argument is that Texas fans have never supported basketball and that somehow Chris Beard's pixie dust changed 118 years of history. That's flat out not true. 

Additionally, Beard's arrival coincided with the opening of the Moody Center, which was specifically designed to improve fan engagement, which it has.  

1 minute ago, Reality Check said:

Again, Shaka Smart put a shitty product on the floor. 

ShadowOp's argument is that Texas fans have never supported basketball and that somehow Chris Beard's pixie dust changed 118 years of history. That's flat out not true. 

Additionally, Beard's arrival coincided with the opening of the Moody Center, which was specifically designed to improve fan engagement, which it has.  

The previous season had an average attendance average of 9,779 per home game.  In 21, at the Drum, in Beard's first season, attendance rose 26.8 % to 12,398 per game.

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas kenpom ratings on december 7th, 2022:

IMG_0961.thumb.jpeg.5a92ab1944140150d979944040fa5db2.jpeg

our kenpom ratings from january 18th, 2023, six weeks later:

IMG_0963.thumb.jpeg.7db59825dd29ab5a398b869e2f5a22e3.jpeg

that drop off in defense said it all. i’ve been saying it here and there throughout the year, but the bottom line is that a whole bunch of fans simply do not understand that a great coach is so, so much more important than a great players.  fans easily wrap their heads around the strengths and limitations of their players and adjudge them accordingly, yet for some reason with coaches it isn’t the same. always excuses; always glass half full; always, “hey maybe he’ll get good if we give him more time!” all the while not even understanding that it’s the coach who has the biggest impact on winning and losing in the first place. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

This is so fucking dumb. Beard was the sole reason that the first season at Moody was electric. We blew it big time by getting rid of the best coach we’ll ever have. Just as stupid as Tech firing the Pirate. They still haven’t recovered from that mistake and it’s been over 15+ years since they allowed CJK5H and his idiot son to kill their program. Beard should have been suspended until the criminal case went through its process and then reinstated once the charges were lifted. Hopefully, we can hire a better basketball coach but it will be next to impossible to find a guy who brought the entire package that Beard brought to the table. For me, watching a Beard-less Texas program play is depressing as fuck and has killed my interest in the program. I am not the only one. I sit stewing in envy of Cougar High whenever I watch their games longing for a coach like Sampson. 

We didn’t blow anything. Chris Beard fucked up and paid the consequences. Fuck that guy for putting his alma mater in a no win position. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

arguing that chris beard didn’t take the atmosphere/fan interest light years beyond where it had ever been previously is just wild.

Our game in Lubbock that year and the one in Austin after that were the two best basketball atmospheres I saw all year. Dude's a tool but downplaying his influence is goofy shit.

• Hook 'Em 1