2024 Houston Texans off-season thread

The Earl of Texas

12 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

As long as they win on the field I don’t care what they wear.

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

They could’ve blown the top off their following, tickets, merchandise, and general good will and they blew it with their aw shucks way of doing things. It wasn’t an either/or to have a winning team and badass threads. 

Undecided on unis, which I’ve concluded is not good. Usually you want to see and like them right away.

I read that there will be 4 different uni sets - not 4 combinations, but 4 totally different looks each with their own combos - so I’ll wait until they reveal to care.

Posted (edited)

According to this person in Cleveland, there has yet to be a winner declared in the Watson trade.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2024/03/how-the-deshaun-watson-trade-is-the-gift-that-keeps-on-giving-for-the-texans-and-how-the-browns-can-win-it-mary-kay-cabot.html?outputType=amp

Edited by Bender Bending Rodriguez

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Hate said:

You have to overpay for people to live in Cleveland. It is what it is. 

Kinda why aggy has to break the bank for NIL

Edited by tx ind
And milkmen, dead dogs, no female cheerleaders, etc

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Not sure what Collins is expecting from a potential extension, but Juedy getting this isn't going to help negotiations:

Haslam giving so much guaranteed money in these contracts must be pissing off the other owners. Yes, the Browns have to overpay, but they don’t have give the NFLPA a road map for fully guaranteed deals. 

As I recall, the Houston Rockets changed their unis in the season that followed back to back NBA championships in the 90’s.  Nobody does dumb shit like that, but they did and it gave the Rockets bad juju. Perhaps, the universe gives us a reverse spin with the Texans uniform change.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Haslam giving so much guaranteed money in these contracts must be pissing off the other owners. Yes, the Browns have to overpay, but they don’t have give the NFLPA a road map for fully guaranteed deals. 

The guaranteed money will never be a thing at scale in the league until the guaranteed money in escrow rule is changed through collective bargaining. The rule is a silly one, but it hasn't been conceded yet 

I've been happy with FA moves and the trade down in the draft. But I REALLY want one of these receivers in the 2nd or 3rd round. It's a deep class and I think you can get first round value at 42 or even 59. Hopefully CJ has targeted a few options and we grab someone early. 

If you're trying to game out who Houston could pick at #42, Here are the 36 players mocked to go in the first (or top 33) in either Dane or DJ's last mocks

Caleb Williaims
Drake Maye
Jayden Daniels
JJ McCarthy
Marvin Harrison Jr
Malik Nabers
Joe Alt
Dallas Turner
Rome Odunze
Taliese Fuaga
Jared Verse
Brock Bowers
Michael Penix Jr
Olu Fashanu
Quinyon Mitchell
Troy Fautanu
Terrion Arnold
JC Latham
Laiatu Latu
Tyler Guyton
Graham Barton
Nate Wigins
Brian Thomas Jr
Jackson Powers-Johnson
Amarius Mims
Darius Robinson
Byron Murphy II
Jer'Zhan Newton
Kool-Aid McKinstry
Cooper DeJean
Chop Robinson
Adonai Mitchell
Ladd McConkey
Jordan Morgan
Xavier Worthy
Kingsley Suamataia

The names not listed who seem to have a good shot at going before pick #42 are Bo Nix, Keon Coleman, and Troy Franklin

If Houston isn't looking to draft an OL at #42, a run on them (Patrick Paul, Zach Frazier, Christian Haynes, Cooper Beebe) would help push other targets down to Houston

Some interesting names not included who could be there at #42

- Xavier Legette

- Edgerrin Cooper

- Ennis Rakestraw

- Ja'Lynn Polk

- Malachi Corley

- Roman Wilson

- T'Vondre Sweat

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We just have to hope that 6 QBs come off the board before 42 to push better guys down to our picks! There are some that think Nix and Penix might be late 1sts, which is crazy to me. I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Texans take a backup QB with one of their 7ths, because Mills will probably walk next year, and I would prefer to see a minimum wage guy backup CJ. 

I like Legette for WR at 42. 6'1 220 pounds with a 4.39 40 dash. He's very good at high pointing catches and making contested grabs, but also has speed to breakaway in the open. He would be an excellent weapon to give CJ. Any one of Legette, McConkey and Coleman would be nice if available, but I think most will be gone by 42. 

I like Sweat a lot, and would be happy to take him at 59, but I think DT is a much easier position to fill with cheap guys this year. The D-line already has some great players on it, and I think you can get away with a JAG DT in 1 spot of it if you have to.  Other DT options there could work here are Fiske or Kris Jenkins. I'm not sure what the plan at #2 CB and Safety is, so I kind of prefer seeing a DB here and a DT at 86. 

I think with those first 5 picks: 42, 59, 86, 123, 127, they need to come out of it with at least 1 of WR, DB, DT, and then some mix of DB/Oline/RB/LB with the other two. 

If you want to play around with a mock draft simulator, the one is fun: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft  Sometimes you get real lucky with it... :D
image.png.e64bacc586fbddd12880eeb74729bee0.png

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/gm-report/whats-up-with-cj-henderson

What's Up with CJ Henderson?

The veteran corner has been inactive each of the last two weeks.

Carolina Panthers

After struggling to make much of an impact in one season and some change in Jacksonville, the Jaguars traded former top-10 pick CJ Henderson and a fifth-rounder to the Carolina Panthers in exchange for tight end Dan Arnold and a third-round selection.

For Carolina, the move made sense at the time. They were extremely thin at corner and it was a low risk, high reward kind of move. Unfortunately, the trade didn't pan out for either side. Arnold spent two years in Jacksonville, catching just 37 passes and has been a free agent for the entirety of the 2023 season. 

Henderson as shown flashes of being a respectable starting corner at times, but has had way too many pass coverage blunders for the Panthers' liking. He hasn't played anywhere near his draft status and because of it, Carolina declined the fifth-year option on Henderson's rookie contract back in the summer.

"That it was a make-or-break year," Henderson said at the start of training camp when asked about his reaction to the declined option. "I got to go out and earn mine and my back is against the wall. I feel like that's when I do my best. There's an edge to me. A different edge."

Over the past two weeks, the Panthers have made Henderson a healthy scratch. For a guy who is in the final year of his contract, that's not a good sign. According to Pro Football Focus, he has allowed 28 receptions of 36 targets, resulting in a grade of 44.7. It seems as if the Panthers already know they are moving on from Henderson and are trying to get a look at others who are on one-year deals.

I listened to Fud’s NFL podcast Mays and Tice recently. They made an outstanding point. Both had 15-17 players with a first round grade. If your team is outside of that range like the Texans, they would be wise to move back. 

Houston sports talk is pretty worked up about taking another corner. I think that’s where the organization is looking at the moment. 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It feels like they’re talking. They wouldn’t let Stevie Nelson walk if there wasn’t another option. 

Howard is a little older than you’d like, but he can play. 

I think they'd like to keep Nelson, but probably don't want to pay him what he's going to get 

Posted (edited)

Here's an article about the two recent CB signings. They were drafted #3 and #9 in the 2020 draft.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2024/03/22/texans-gamble-on-coaching-upside-at-cornerback/

Basically the thought is last year was a proof of concept, and this year the staff believes they can extract every once of talent from these guys just like they did last year with Nelson, Rankins, Cashman, and Greenard.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Corners tend to fall off a cliff around age 30, so I'd be concerned about having to rely on one as a starter without a capable backup 

At the same time, we’re one of the most zone-heavy secondaries in the league; we can stretch losing a step more than a lot of other schemes as long as the instinct/anticipation is still solid. Like a lot of other moves that aren’t a dude like Hunter, this one will come down to $$…