guy ritchie's "the gentlemen" - new tv show coming to netflix

henrygandorf

• 1 month later...

we're 4 episodes in and i generally like it.  i don't love that the past couple episodes have been super-formulaic just presenting them with a task to get from a to b, like a heist movie, and then pulling it off.  it follows his early movie script notes of a bunch of gangster dudes doing a bunch of gangster shit - just them getting themselves into and out of trouble.

also there's no chance that the asian weed grower would also be the driver for an operation that big.  his storyline is a little silly but i'm assuming a good payoff, with ritchie generally does well.  that and eddie's half-assed plan to get them off the property (seems pricey) because he's going to make them even more money (but he doesn't explain how) by way of moving them to another property (also seems pricey and time-consuming) doesn't really make sense at all. 

eddie's character seems more like a "go along to get along" type anyway, but whatever.  style over substance works for guy ritchie so i'll stay invested until the end.

• Hook 'Em 1

My only complaint is it calls out nudity as on tap and the only nudity is the crazy old Duke with a baby arm. 

All in all definitely an enjoyable series, absolutely set up for a second season and if you like Ritchie’s stuff you will dig the show. 

• Haha 1

We watched the first four tonight. I was going to pass on this until somebody around here mentioned it was Ritchie.

Loving it. Just loving it. 

I don't know how he does it, but he mixes Fargo and Breaking Bad with English crime fiction. Brilliant.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just finished the season. Couldn't stop watching. So good. So many great performances.

Theo James for the next James Bond, imho, I told that to my wife about half way through the season, then googled it, and there had already been several articles written in the same vein in the last day or so. /csb

• Like 2

On 3/14/2024 at 1:38 PM, henrygandorf said:

we're 4 episodes in and i generally like it.  i don't love that the past couple episodes have been super-formulaic just presenting them with a task to get from a to b, like a heist movie, and then pulling it off.  it follows his early movie script notes of a bunch of gangster dudes doing a bunch of gangster shit - just them getting themselves into and out of trouble.

also there's no chance that the asian weed grower would also be the driver for an operation that big.  his storyline is a little silly but i'm assuming a good payoff, with ritchie generally does well.  that and eddie's half-assed plan to get them off the property (seems pricey) because he's going to make them even more money (but he doesn't explain how) by way of moving them to another property (also seems pricey and time-consuming) doesn't really make sense at all. 

eddie's character seems more like a "go along to get along" type anyway, but whatever.  style over substance works for guy ritchie so i'll stay invested until the end.

Agree with all of this and noticed the bold part too, but he pulled it out of that pattern toward the end. Overall I loved it. Given the way it sets up for season 2, the future potential is huge imho.

2 hours ago, wood said:

Just finished the season. Couldn't stop watching. So good. So many great performances.

Theo James for the next James Bond, imho, I told that to my wife about half way through the season, then googled it, and there had already been several articles written in the same vein in the last day or so. /csb

I thought the same thing. I had no idea others felt the same way. He just looked extremely comfortable in the role. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Loved it.  It's seems less tied directly to The Gentleman (the movie) than to the Guy Ritchie-universe in general.  Callbacks to Lock Stock (weed farm guarded by stoners), Snatch (boxing, gypsies), Rocknrolla (rich narcissistic addict in debt setting off a ridiculous chain of events), and a look into the various ethnic and regional gangs across the UK.  There other easter eggs, but I wonder if this is multi-season with same story, or whether they could do a Fargo-type anthology.  

• Hook 'Em 3