Recommend a portable/travel external monitor

My work PC is a "corporate standard-issue" Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1.  As a laptop, it is kinda crappy.  Mediocre keyboard; 1920x1080; etc.  Add a decent monitor and it is suitable (not great) as a PC.

Need to work remote for a couple of weeks and was curious for a portable - one I can also throw in my backpack - monitor.

Wirecutter has some recs: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-portable-monitor/

Another option is "go buy a good one at BestBuy and return it the day before I leave" but that's unethical, IMO.

Thoughts and/or experience here?  

Getting a good laptop is an option, but my remote work timeline is more immediate.

My work-issued laptop is smaller than I prefer, with a monitor that is too small to comfortably split in half with two simultaneous windows.

I bought this last summer and am pretty pleased with it. I could be wrong, but I think it was recommended by Wirecutter. 

Screenshot_20240204_214252_Chrome.thumb.jpg.613de517cd3c3042a7990637312d00d4.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

My work PC is a "corporate standard-issue" Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1.  As a laptop, it is kinda crappy.  Mediocre keyboard; 1920x1080; etc.  Add a decent monitor and it is suitable (not great) as a PC.

Need to work remote for a couple of weeks and was curious for a portable - one I can also throw in my backpack - monitor.

Wirecutter has some recs: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-portable-monitor/

Another option is "go buy a good one at BestBuy and return it the day before I leave" but that's unethical, IMO.

Getting a good laptop is an option, but my remote work timeline is more immediate.

I’d stick to know brand monitors if you care about the extra features like if it has a hub attached to it etc. if it’s just a screen pretty much all of them are going to be the same panels and it’s a completely commoditized tech so you can just go to your favorite retail/e-tail place and buy what you think is right based on dimensions and portability/use case.

• Hook 'Em 1

i have no idea how anyone can do anything on a 1080p(easant) screen.  i got fed up with that bullshit at the office (2x 1080p) and bought a 32" 4k LG with a built in USB-C hub with 60W PD.  one cable from the screen to the laptop in a scissor stand sitting next to it is the goddamn future.  leave a chrome window with teams, outlook, and the firm management software in tabs on the laptop, and then get actual work done on the LG. 

/tangent

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 12:20 AM, elfenix said:

i have no idea how anyone can do anything on a 1080p(easant) screen.  i got fed up with that bullshit at the office (2x 1080p) and bought a 32" 4k LG with a built in USB-C hub with 60W PD.  one cable from the screen to the laptop in a scissor stand sitting next to it is the goddamn future.  leave a chrome window with teams, outlook, and the firm management software in tabs on the laptop, and then get actual work done on the LG. 

/tangent

Same was side by side 30"....hated it... Went to 43" Dell...can't go back

10 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Same was side by side 30"....hated it... Went to 43" Dell...can't go back

Same. Have 2 43” in the center, and a 40” on the left and right, on a U-shaped desk. Also a soundbar (hooked to the right side 40”) over the center, woofer over in the corner. 

15 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Same. Have 2 43” in the center, and a 40” on the left and right, on a U-shaped desk. Also a soundbar (hooked to the right side 40”) over the center, woofer over in the corner. 

You have 4 monitors? 

48 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Pics?

6 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

this motherfucker is living in the matrix right here

7 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Here's one from right after I got them set and turned on. Mind the mess. This is before I moved the original keyboard tray from the corner to the right side, and added another one center side.

office1.thumb.jpg.1a8a3b5f8b81cbeda5889aae4fc8f685.jpg

And I did take one yesterday as well.

office2.thumb.jpg.63474a5b1d409bb49aeb8b86243964b0.jpg

You know if you got rid of that globe, you'd have room for a fifth monitor

My work-issued laptop is smaller than I prefer, with a monitor that is too small to comfortably split in half with two simultaneous windows.
I bought this last summer and am pretty pleased with it. I could be wrong, but I think it was recommended by Wirecutter. 
Screenshot_20240204_214252_Chrome.thumb.jpg.613de517cd3c3042a7990637312d00d4.jpg
There are a whole bunch of no name knockoffs on Amazon that work just as well. I have 4 monitors each at home and at the office. When I'm traveling I use my laptop and extend my screen on to one of these knockoff travel monitors. They're adequate, I've been using them for a few years now.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

What Dell or other model 43” monitors have the best resolution for text? And are they flat or curved?

I've got the Dell and its great. It's flat.  I tried a few others that were larger, up to 50" both flat and curved and found 43" was the sweet spot, anything larger and it didn't "feel right".  Sides were an issue and too much head movement going on.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 11:15 AM, boilerhorn said:

The correct answer is buy it, return it, then come back and buy it again on Open Box. And then return it.

On 2/4/2024 at 11:15 AM, boilerhorn said:

update on what you ended up doing?