X-Men '97 - Disney+ starting March 20th

Captain Ron

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

That ending Feels a lot like Uncanny X-Men 200 when Charles turns the school over to Magneto and he had his run as a good guy.

Also with that ending, I gotta ask ...

Hide contents

Jean with the baby bump - Rachel or Nathan?

Gotta be Cable. 

18 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

That ending Feels a lot like Uncanny X-Men 200 when Charles turns the school over to Magneto and he had his run as a good guy.

Also with that ending, I gotta ask ...

Hide contents

Jean with the baby bump - Rachel or Nathan?

Magneto being headmaster with the New Mutants is my fave era of him (until Al Ewing's run on S.W.O.R.D. and X-Men Red).

That pregnant woman is Madelyne Pryor not Jean (I hope). Give me animated Inferno please!! 🤤

Edited by safe sex

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2024 at 5:32 PM, Buzzrock said:

Pfft typical woke Hollywood. They’ve got some old broad playing Magneto.

You jest, but I heard they made Morph into a trans and the creators intended for there to be ambiguity in “his” relationship with Wolverine. 

You mean to tell me a being with the ability to change their appearance into any other person might not have a binary gender identity??

First two episodes are fucking great, though I was completely gooped by what they're apparently doing with Jean and Madelyne Pryor. 

Don't worry, you won't have to hear they/them in the show! It's set in the 90s after all.

'Didn't Surprise Me at All': X-Men '97 Star Responds to Backlash Over Non-Binary Morph

"Two things about that – one, as far as I know, we're never going to say the word 'non-binary' because nobody said the word 'non-binary' in the '90s," he said. "It's not that it didn't exist; it was just in no way a mainstream term at the time. Morph's understanding of who he is could equate to what a modern person would say is non-binary, but he just doesn’t have the terminology for it. At the same time, they/them wasn't a concept in terms of using it as a pronoun."

• 2 weeks later...

First two episodes were really good. I wasn't sure I could get onboard with the 90's style animation that reminds me of BeBop and Uncle Phil as Shredder, but I've quickly assimilated. I don't remember Magneto being yoked but maybe because I never read the comics, so in my mind he's the geriatric from the live action movies.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BeardIP said:

First two episodes were really good. I wasn't sure I could get onboard with the 90's style animation that reminds me of BeBop and Uncle Phil as Shredder, but I've quickly assimilated. I don't remember Magneto being yoked but maybe because I never read the comics, so in my mind he's the geriatric from the live action movies.

image.thumb.png.189dddc801f5ad83462d57a235bdfaf3.png

image.thumb.png.42414168516d2266b1c51c2ab28fa256.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

On 4/2/2024 at 3:14 PM, Bateshorn said:

I could never get into this series. Then or now. Batman:TAS, Bayman Beyond, and Justice League makes the quality of the Marvel animation look like it was drawn in preschool. 

Same. The story is incredible but the animation and voice acting is merely adequate.

I loved the old 90s X-Men cartoon on the old Fox Kids Saturday morning block. I never thought the animation was bad or had any issues with it, but I was born in 84 and was very young when it came out. Also loved the 90s Spiderman and Batman series. My son is 5 and I can't wait until he's a little older to rewatch all that stuff with him, plus all the good Marvel movies that have come out in the last 20 years. 

X-Men 97 feels similar to the old series style, and I do appreciate the nostalgia it brings. The stories are good so far, but I wish there were more episodes. I didn't realize it was just 1 a week, but here's the schedule for anyone else that was interested:

Here's the official release schedule for X-Men '97:

Episode 1: Streaming as of March 20

Episode 2: Streaming as of March 20

Episode 3: Streaming as of March 27

Episode 4: Streaming as of April 3

Episode 5: Premieres on April 10

Episode 6: Premieres on April 17

Episode 7: Premieres on April 24

Episode 8: Premieres on May 1

Episode 9: Premieres on May 8

Episode 10: Premieres on May 15

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

Oof, shed quite a few tears last night. Was not expecting a lot of that. 

If you've never read the three-issue arc, "E for Extinction," that started Grant Morrison's iconic run on New X-Men, I highly recommend it. One of the best X-Men stories ever written, and a key part of their canon. It starts with issue #114 and was published, ironically enough, in May 2001

Edited by safe sex
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/10/2024 at 9:06 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Shit went sideways real fast. 

Also, Easter egg or cross over?  I’m betting EE

96ACB632-11A0-4F18-ACDC-32C64A3CC11F.jpeg

I think this might actually be a somewhat significant crossover with Deadpool 3

Just watched the Mondo one with the video game and Jubilee and then the Storm piece. I don't know if it's the animation style, but this episode was able to bring the creepy feels for me and I could see it being scary for little kids.

20 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Just watched the Mondo one with the video game and Jubilee and then the Storm piece. I don't know if it's the animation style, but this episode was able to bring the creepy feels for me and I could see it being scary for little kids.

Lol I have been trying to watch some episodes with a toddler bumbling around the living room....seems like creepy Storm scenes always happen to be on when my daughter is around.  And she just stares with mouth open.  Wife makes me switch to iPad....

Great series.

• Hook 'Em 1

Shit went sideways real fast. 

Also, Easter egg or cross over?  I’m betting EE

96ACB632-11A0-4F18-ACDC-32C64A3CC11F.jpeg.ed13019dafe502bb67a0afe8f31f6d0c.jpeg

What is that?

Good show, glad it’s only 25 mins or so per episode. It gets kinda soap opera-ish sometimes but X-Men always had that aspect to it.

16 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

What is that?

Good show, glad it’s only 25 mins or so per episode. It gets kinda soap opera-ish sometimes but X-Men always had that aspect to it.

That's Uatu, the Watcher, to let you know what's about to follow is a Big Event (strongly disagree with anyone who thinks/says it's Cassandra Nova).

Imo, Chris Claremont's 16-year run on Uncanny X-Men is the greatest modern literary soap opera of the 20th century.

This was probably the weakest episode of the season so far, but it was still a really good episode of animated superheroes. Lifedeath is a very dense text to adapt, and a lot of its emotional/contextual heft is built up over years and events that weren't touched on at all over the "Lifedeath" segments in the show. That's fine; that's the nature of adapting a narrative in one form to another, and I think they did it about as much justice as possible within the limitations of "children's" animated television show.