Merrick Garland seems like he sucks

wildcat09

For those who aren't lawyers, saying shit like that in a deposition is a tactic a ton of lawyers use to increase stress on a deponent without seeming like you're being an asshole. 

• Rage+1 1

Yeah, that's a terrible characterization of Joe Biden's statements.  Nothing suggests he couldn't remember Beau's death within "several years", or even one year.  He didn't even answer (although he got the day and month correct).

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, that's a terrible characterization of Joe Biden's statements.  Nothing suggests he couldn't remember Beau's death within "several years", or even one year.  He didn't even answer (although he got the day and month correct).

My dad died a few years ago. A week or so ago I had to stop and think "Wait was that 2021 or 2022?". And I'm not 80.

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

My dad died a few years ago. A week or so ago I had to stop and think "Wait was that 2021 or 2022?". And I'm not 80.

But I bet you know the exact month and day.  Most people do. 

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Same here.  I honestly would have to ask my siblings for the specific day cause all I remember was being in shock and that it was hot as balls.

i do wish they had asked Hur some questions regarding specific dayes and years, all while reminding him that he is under oath, to elicit so “I don’t recall” responses. That would have been fun.

• Hook 'Em 6

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yes, I know how old both my parents were when they died, but I have to use their birth years (which I know) and their ages at death to back out what year they died.  Different people recall dates differently.

• Hook 'Em 1

A lot of people tend to remember certain details a little differently from each other, but what Biden was clearly doing in that portion of the interview was using memories of what he knew to be contemporaneous major events to try to orient his recollection, which is literally how pretty much anyone remembers anything that happened a long time ago. It really cannot be overstated how fucking normal that is for people of all ages to do and for Hur to mischaracterize that the way he did is just some incredibly scummy behavior.  He should be pelted with rotten produce every time he steps out in public for the rest of his life for that shit. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I only have 2 deceased relatives who I can tell you exactly what day they died.  My grandmother died on Valentines Day in 2016 any my aunt died on my birthday in 2021.  The best I can do on the others would be something like late May in 2015.

52 minutes ago, Red Five said:

My story isn’t really relevant because I have an historical marker. My dad passed early in the morning on Sunday, Sep 7, 2014. It was the morning after tOSU was upset at home by Va Tech, the last Buckeye game he ever saw. He missed the rest of that season leading up to the national championship. I received calls/texts that morning from his wife and my sister that something was up and I should go to the hospital to be with him. I called the hospital and was the first to learn that he had passed and I had to tell the rest of the family. It also just happened to be exactly a week since I smoked my last cigarette. Knowing that happened on the last day of August and that college football is played on Saturday and that the Bucks won the first playoff in 2014 makes it an easy date to recall.

/csb 

2 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

Yeah it's not at all like Garland to drag his feet on this stuff. 

I think the issue with Garland is that he isn't involved with things at all. I get the impression that he isn't doing much. 

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I think the issue with Garland is that he isn't involved with things at all. I get the impression that he isn't doing much. 

The job was supposed to be a consolation prize. Serve a largely ceremonial role and let the DOJ leadership cook. Unfortunately those plans don’t match up with a uniquely corrupt former president who committed crimes in office and after while presently working to destroy democracy 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/12/2024 at 3:56 PM, Horn Dog said:

Same here.  I honestly would have to ask my siblings for the specific day cause all I remember was being in shock and that it was hot as balls.

i do wish they had asked Hur some questions regarding specific dayes and years, all while reminding him that he is under oath, to elicit so “I don’t recall” responses. That would have been fun.

This would have been smart.

It would have worked on two levels:

Ask him about dates and years for his anniversary, his children’s birth, when he graduated high school, when the challenger disaster happened, etc.

If he gets them all right and he won’t , then you jump right into the report and make him look like a dummy when he doesn’t know his own report.

But likely he won’t and you can correct him as I’m sure you could find this shit out.

Then you can shame him by calling him a ‘well meaning special counsel who despite his long legal career is someone no responsible body could trust’

On 3/12/2024 at 3:50 PM, Red Five said:

I was remembering dad just last night and struggled to remember the year.  I remembered it was before covid and I was thankful for that because that would have been hard on mom.

3 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The job was supposed to be a consolation prize. Serve a largely ceremonial role and let the DOJ leadership cook. Unfortunately those plans don’t match up with a uniquely corrupt former president who committed crimes in office and after while presently working to destroy democracy 

Sadly he's proven that he's such a cautious, by-the-book boy scout that he would've been a fantastic SC justice. That's just not what we need at AG in the MAGA era. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

My dad is easy to remember. He was a lifelong republican who had grown to hate the party in his last years. He was home on hospice care in our family den and we had the election results on the TV in the background, although he was completely out of it. He passed a few hours after Obama clinched the 2008 election. It was a bittersweet 24 hours for sure.