Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

13 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Gagree.

The contraption Ford put on the tailgates to use as a step up is hilarious fail.

maxresdefault.jpg

I use the step on my Ford pretty regularly. It works fine to climb in the back. However, I’ve never noticed the telescoping handle in that picture. The best step variety I’ve used is GM’s where it was molded into the sides of the rear bumper.

Edited by Brew

Yeah, it works, but the whole release/drop down process is just a bit much. It sticks, it's heavy, clunky, etc. 

Their engineers were lazy on the that aspect.

There are just better ways without all the whathaveyou

Edited by Cajun

9 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Yeah, it works, but the whole release/drop down process is just a bit much. It sticks, it's heavy, clunky, etc. 

Their engineers were lazy on the that aspect.

There are just better ways without all the whathaveyou

Agree there are better ways, but the step on my F150, doesn't stick, it's not heavy, and isn't particularly clunky.  My kids and wife like using it to get stuff up into the bed.  I call it the "granny step" but the wife and kids actually really like it.  Not sure how well it'll hold up, but the truck is a 2015 and it doesn't have any problems so far.

I definitely like those GM steps that are built-in to the bumper, that's some great engineering.

27 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Agree there are better ways, but the step on my F150, doesn't stick, it's not heavy, and isn't particularly clunky.  My kids and wife like using it to get stuff up into the bed.  I call it the "granny step" but the wife and kids actually really like it.  Not sure how well it'll hold up, but the truck is a 2015 and it doesn't have any problems so far.

I definitely like those GM steps that are built-in to the bumper, that's some great engineering.

Mine’s a 2010.  It’s all the things mentioned.  Glad they improved it.

37 minutes ago, Cajun said:

For those with a 2009 and up F150, this is a damned fine hack if you're into storing some shit in your truck...

Thanks, that's cool.  I haven't even bothered to check on my 2015, but if it's the same or similar, that would be a great way to access that space.

Shit, I’ve been driving mine for 9 years and never bothered flipping down the seats. Have a mini tool box under the bed cover, but my breaker bar rusted to shit, and the first aid kits get replaced every few years.

Need to clean a few things off from the tool box and throw them in the cab (flashlight first aid kit, etc). Wonder how bad that crap will rattle though? I do a fair amount of gravel road driving.

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

For those with a 2009 and up F150, this is a damned fine hack if you're into storing some shit in your truck...

Dumb question perhaps, but at the 1 minute mark, what it that plastic funnel looking thing under the seat? When I bought my last truck, I found one in the glove box but I had no clue what it was. I left it there when I traded it in.

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

Gagree.

The contraption Ford put on the tailgates to use as a step up is hilarious fail.

maxresdefault.jpg

I use it everytime I need to get in the back.  No complaints. My other Super Dutys didn't have the step but that was 20 years ago and 20 pounds (ahem) ago.

Edited by Lat22

1 hour ago, Llano Estacado said:

Shit, I’ve been driving mine for 9 years and never bothered flipping down the seats. Have a mini tool box under the bed cover, but my breaker bar rusted to shit, and the first aid kits get replaced every few years.

Need to clean a few things off from the tool box and throw them in the cab (flashlight first aid kit, etc). Wonder how bad that crap will rattle though? I do a fair amount of gravel road driving.

Holy shit that is cool. Same. Been driving around for 8 years and never knew I could do that.

1 hour ago, Llano Estacado said:

If you have a few specific things you want to put back there, you could probably find some form-fitting foam and cut slots out for the various tools.  Breaker bar, tire iron, jumper cables, first-aid kit, should all fit back there pretty easily.

Put new rotors and EBC "green pads" on my cummins. Stopped great but 2 weeks later I had massive brake dust on one wheel and my brakes would get hot in stop and go city traffic. After a bit of troubleshooting changed drivers side brake caliper and all has been well.

Few days later blend doors break which leaves with no way to adjust temperature. Million mile motor, 100,000 mile truck.

On 3/16/2019 at 4:21 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

After spending some days in London, the ranger looks nice. Hope it’s no different off the line over here. And the Fiat truck looks like shit, smart of them not to sell it here. Nobody would buy. 

I got one as a rental in Ohio last month. Limited trim 4x4. Super nice, but felt a little cramped. (I'm 6'5" and 235 lbs) 

I'm having issues with my bed cover. I have an OEM cover on my F150, it's the clamshell type that lifts up at the tailgate. It's just one big fiberglass piece. According to the window sticker, this was installed by the dealer for the original owner. 

When it's open, it moves normally, doesn't stick or feel too loose, seems fine. But when I close it, it shifts dramatically to the right (passenger side). It hangs over too far to the right and it's so tight on the left side that it has rubbed off the paint. I unhooked it from the 2 piston/arms and lowered it, still shifted to the right and I can't get it to move left. I thought maybe one of the arms was bent but that doesn't appear to be the problem.

I need to take it off to move some stuff anyway, and taking it off was going to be my first step to see if I can get it back on straight. But in the event that it goes back on with the same problem, I'm not sure what my next step should be. I don't want to go to the dealership because God knows what they'd charge to fix it but I'm not sure I have any other options. I figure most truck accessory shops would rather sell me a new cover instead of try to fix mine. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2019 at 4:09 PM, Sandman said:

I'm having issues with my bed cover. I have an OEM cover on my F150, it's the clamshell type that lifts up at the tailgate. It's just one big fiberglass piece. According to the window sticker, this was installed by the dealer for the original owner. 

When it's open, it moves normally, doesn't stick or feel too loose, seems fine. But when I close it, it shifts dramatically to the right (passenger side). It hangs over too far to the right and it's so tight on the left side that it has rubbed off the paint. I unhooked it from the 2 piston/arms and lowered it, still shifted to the right and I can't get it to move left. I thought maybe one of the arms was bent but that doesn't appear to be the problem.

I need to take it off to move some stuff anyway, and taking it off was going to be my first step to see if I can get it back on straight. But in the event that it goes back on with the same problem, I'm not sure what my next step should be. I don't want to go to the dealership because God knows what they'd charge to fix it but I'm not sure I have any other options. I figure most truck accessory shops would rather sell me a new cover instead of try to fix mine. 

You ever figure it out?

Seems like we talk about accessories a lot on this thread.

How about posting pictures of our "best" stucks?

I went to buy beer at a local gas station which happens to be near a drained, muddy lake bed. College kid and his GF walk up while I am pumping gas. They're stuck in the nearby lake bed. Convince me they're deserving of help. Here we are, 10min later... 583954f2b348201fcfdb9b0e446a88af.jpg

• Like 2

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/ram-midsize-pickup-truck-details/?wc_mid=4035:16639&wc_rid=4035:31722704&_wcsid=774F7E068D8EC8BA9E30488F2FF23568AF0FBF2A2504B2B3

New midsize from Dodge is coming.

I had a 1987 Dodge Dakota and it was a pretty good truck. Much nicer than a 2005 Dodge Dakota that my father bought new. I really liked the Rams that I saw at the auto show this year, but I have stuck by Ford since 1994.

Sounds like dodge wants the dirt cheap fleet sales, and are trying to make it as cheaply as possible to be low bid. 

Hitting the auto parts store delivery and pool cleaner market. 

I enjoy how ram has distanced from the dodge name, and expect this thing to be called a ram Dakota or similar. 

I think the rebranding to Ram only, eschewing the Dodge name, is weird and confusing in the marketplace.  Not unlike the entire Landrover/Rangerover problem that persists to this day in the USA.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter to me, I've had several Chrysler products in my lifetime and I'd happily buy a Ram if it suited me, but I just think it's a goofy move.

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/ram-midsize-pickup-truck-details/?wc_mid=4035:16639&wc_rid=4035:31722704&_wcsid=774F7E068D8EC8BA9E30488F2FF23568AF0FBF2A2504B2B3

New midsize from Dodge is coming.

I had a 1987 Dodge Dakota and it was a pretty good truck. Much nicer than a 2005 Dodge Dakota that my father bought new. I really liked the Rams that I saw at the auto show this year, but I have stuck by Ford since 1994.

I'm right there with you, I really like the newer Rams but I can't force myself to get away from Ford. I asked my best friend about this Ram I liked, he told me (in a nice way) that I would be a moron if I bought it. Even my wife dislikes them, God knows why. I love my truck I just got but I'm very smitten with the new Ram.

I have a 2013 F150 King Ranch.  70k Miles.  A good friend of mine owns a ford dealership in Houston.  Asked him what a new F150 King Ranch would cost.  Welp, I’m keeping this one for another 5 years.  My son is 10.  So this can be his first truck when I’m ready for a new one. 

The prices for new trucks are absurd.  

I’m thinking my next one is going to be a restored 1970s Ford half ton. 

4 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Why I am going to be an old one that has been fixed up.  I want one bad anyway.  Might do it myself.

As I was saying, good idea.  They're relatively straightforward to work on.

This old timer is usually in storage, but I bought my son a go kart and had to pull it out for duty.

IMG-4920.jpg
IMG-4919.jpg

• Like 4

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/214962-gmc-multipro-tailgate-information/

Trucks Equipped with a Hitch Ball

Do not lower the inner gate with the primary gate open (easy access or step positions) if a hitch ball or trailer is attached. This may damage the tailgate due to the amount of clearance between the hitch receiver and the lowered inner gate. (Fig. 26)

Glad I don’t have to remove my hitch to use the step. Man card.

Glad I still have a bumper that serves as a step.  That would be a deal breaker for me. Some chick demoed her little suv on my ball just a month or so ago. Didn’t do shit except bend my ball up a bit (still tows but need new one, it’s wearing on tongue)   Her shit was destroyed when I pulled forward and lots of hers came with it.  Thinking one of those high dollar adjustable types this time.   I usually get a new $25 one when I buy a new truck. This one has 11 years now. Chick ruined it, probably on facebook. 

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

Is that what we're calling it now?  Her "little SUV"?  Can't keep up with all the slang words for pussy anymore.

This makes more sense to me:

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Her shit was destroyed when I pulled forward and lots of hers came with it. 

• Like 1