Tell Me About Michigan

LTtxfan

Need a Michigan thread without Harbaugh...

Wink Martindale bringing longtime NFL assistant with him to Michigan

image.png.bbcbe747e1b87e80d3934cbd56c8cf3d.png

After serving as Wink Martindale's right-hand man in Baltimore and New York, Kevin Wilkins is now expected to serve the same role at Michigan.

ZACH BARNETT            2 HOURS AGO

With Don "Wink" Martindale now at Michigan, he's bringing at least one assistant with him to Ann Arbor.

Kevin Wilkins will come aboard as a defensive analyst, a similar role he held for Martindale for the past nine seasons with the Baltimore Ravens and New York Giants.  And it figures that Wilkins will join Martindale at Michigan, considering he was a factor in Wink's departure from New York in the first place.

Back in January, Giants head coach Brian Daboll fired Wilkins and his brother, outside linebackers coach Drew Wilkins, as he took stock of the G-Men's disappointing 6-11 campaign. It was reported at the time that Martindale felt the Wilkinses worked for him and not the team, and thus it was outside of Daboll's authority to fire them, causing Martindale to leave New Jersey for Florida out of protest.

Whether that's true or not, it's a matter of fact that Martindale is now at Michigan instead of New York, and Kevin Wilkins is set to join him, according to 247Sports.

Wilkins will serve as connective tissue between Martindale and the Michigan staff, having worked with former Wolverines coordinators Mike Macdonald and Jesse Minter during his time in Baltimore.

Sherrone Moore's first on-field staff as full, with Martindale as a walk-around coordinator, Greg Scruggs coaching the defensive line, Brian Jean-Mary returning as linebackers coach, and LaMar Morgan handling the secondary. In addition to understanding Martindale's vision of the total picture of what the Wolverines' defense is supposed to be, Wilkins also has experience working with linebackers.

• Fuck You 1

Harbaugh took some key pieces with him to LA, leaving Sherrone with some prominent roles to fill.  Here's what the Wolverines will look like under Sherrone Moore.

OFFENSE:

• Kirk Campbell - OC / QBs (Michigan QBs)
  • Grant Newsome - OL  (Michigan TEs)
  • Steve Casula - TEs      (UMass OC)
  • Mike Hart - RBs       (Michigan RBs)
  • Ron Bellamy - WRs   (Michigan WRs)

DEFENSE

• Wink Martindale - DC  (NY Giants DC)
  • Greg Scruggs - DL   (Wisconsin DL)
  • Brian Jean-Mary - LBs  (Tennessee LBs)
  • LaMar Morgan          (Louisiana DC)

SPECIAL TEAMS COORDINATOR

JB Brown - STC     (Michigan ST Analyst),

https://footballscoop.com/news/michigan-staff-tracker-2023-24

Posted (edited)

Since we play at Michigan this year...

Michigan football losing a bunch of talent. Those players tell us who's ready to step up.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/michigan-football-losing-a-bunch-of-talent-those-players-tell-us-whos-ready-to-step-up/ar-BB1jiFci

Michigan lost a lot of talent...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/nfl-combine-offers-uncomfortable-reminder-2023-michigan-football-was-one-of-a-kind/ar-BB1j6doD

@immamac

Edited by LTtxfan

Mike Hart out at Michigan

Former Wolverines star running back no longer with his alma mater

JOHN BRICE          5 HOURS AGO

The University of Michigan needs a new running backs coach, and it's bidding farewell to a former program star in the process.

Mike Hart, who earned All-America honors during his Wolverines playing career, was not offered a coaching position to return with the program.

Sources told FootballScoop Friday that Sherrone Moore and Michigan did not extend Hart a new contract nor an opportunity to return to the Wolverines coaching staff.

Hart had arrived at his alma mater in 2021 under former coach Jim Harbaugh, who hired away Hart from Indiana University.

A former NFL Draft pick, Hart also has coached at Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan and Syracuse, which also is Hart's hometown.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Michigan DC Wink Martindale explains defensive strategy, early standout player

4 days ago

Kirk Campbell On Michigan Football Spring QB Battle, Transfer Portal, Donovan Edwards, More    #GoBlue

5 days ago

Edited by LTtxfan

Screenshot_20240320-132321_kindlephoto-2558945.thumb.png.251adf25ffa29033f8b79daf04c921b3.png

When Mike Hart and the Michigan Wolverines decided to part ways so late in the coaching cycle, it felt like Sherrone Moore may have his toughest test ahead of him for filling a need on his coaching staff.

Instead, he went just south of the border, to Michigan’s biggest rival, and plucked their running back coach, assistant head coach, and one of the best recruiters in college football in Tony Alford.

Alford has been in Columbus for the last nine seasons, spanning back to the days of Urban Meyer. Before that, he was working with Charlie Weis and Brian Kelly at Notre Dame. Now at Michigan, Alford has coached for three of the most influential programs in the history of college football. Not only is that an extremely difficult thing to do, but he was also retained across multiple coaching staffs.

His resume of running backs is nothing short of unbelievable in that span. Ezekiel Elliott, Mike Weber, J.K. Dobbins, TreVeyon Henderson, Trey Sermon, Michael Floyd (1,000-yard receiver at Notre Dame), freshman All-American Victor Anderson (Louisville), and more.

In 2011, 247Sports named Alford, then at Notre Dame, a finalist for their national recruiter of the year. He also made a list of their top-25 recruiters in 2015. All to say, Michigan’s new running backs coach is going to play a massive role in both developing and recruiting the position (and maybe some others) in Ann Arbor.

His style will fit in perfectly with what Moore is trying to keep from the National Championship team. A piece from Cleveland.com in 2022 highlighted the strategies and personality of the top-tier recruiter.

“My first impression (of him) was how much he cared for me,” Henderson said. “Not just for me but for my family (and) my mental. He was always making sure I was doing good (and) my family’s doing great. I don’t just like him as a coach. I like him as a person. He’s a great person.”

But Alford isn’t all sunshine and rainbows. As a former Doak Walker Award nominee himself, he knows what it takes to be an elite running back at the Power 5 level, and he makes his players prove it to him.

“(I want a) tough guy,” Alford said in the story. “A mentally and physically tough guy that’s not gonna be broken.”

That manifests in summer workouts for recruits that push them to the brink.

“The work he puts the recruits through, that’s the same work we get now,” Henderson continued. “He just wants to see how you respond. He’s gonna push you to your limits. I definitely need that. When he puts you through that, it pushes you to be great. He’s just trying to make you a better running back and a better person.”

With the new members of the Pac-12 joining the conference, Michigan is going to see more defensive talent in 2024 and beyond than ever before. Alford’s tactics show who has that next level, as the great Blake Corum showed over the past few seasons against programs like Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin and more teams known for tough defenses.

Alford’s job is to find the next elite running back who can take his 25th or 30th carry of the game as the team tries to smash it down the opponent’s throats. He’s had an eye for that for decades, and it’s exactly the blue-collar kind of player acquisition Sherrone Moore has repeatedly said he wants out of this Michigan program.

How does that impact 2024 and beyond?

First off is an important note that Ohio’s top running back, incoming true freshman Jordan Marshall, loves Alford.

“I’m super excited to be coached by him,” Marshall told The Michigan Insider. “Coach Alford and I have such a special bond. We were both very upset when I broke the news that I wasn’t going to Ohio State, but just like I said before, God has a plan and his plan was for coach Alford to be my coach. I’m so thankful for coach Moore getting the best guys possible for the job. Now we both got something to prove. GO BLUE!”

Moving into 2025, there are some really intriguing options out of the state that Michigan stole Alford from, too. At the top of the list is Bo Jackson, the No. 66 recruit and No. 5 running back in the country who has previously received Crystal Balls to Ohio State. His primary recruiter there was Alford. In the summer of 2023, Jackson had an “amazing visit” to Ann Arbor. I suspect the Wolverines to pull out all the stops for one of the top ball carriers in the class.

Another Ohio running back to watch is four-star Marquise Davis from Cleveland Heights High School. The No. 13 running back in the 2025 class visited Ohio State in June 2023, and you guessed it, Alford was his lead recruiter. He holds and offer from Michigan, too, and will very likely hear from the newest Michigan coach if he hasn’t already. He told 247sports Alford’s move to Ann Arbor “sparked interest a bit.”

But it’s not just running backs, Alford also recruited several other positions in Columbus, including NFL-caliber defensive linemen like Tyreke Smith. He’s also recruited the south, specifically Florida, really well throughout his career. Some of the guys Michigan has offered who could be on his radar are four-star running back Ousmane Kromah, four-star athlete Trey McNutt, four-star tight end Luke Gilbert and many others.

Needless to say, Alford will be a huge factor in Michigan’s recruiting efforts in the 2025 class and beyond.

"made an unfortunate mistake"

So was it unfortunate he got blasted and was behind the wheel at 3 am?

Was it a mistake cuz he meant to go to bed and accidentally found himself driving down the road instead through some inexplicable turn of events?

Or...does Michigan find it unfortunate he got pinched and that Michigan men continue to publicly be lawless assholes and sullying their undeserved claim of moral superiority?

I'm gonna go with the last one. Hope Sark hangs half a hundred on those bitches.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

New Michigan football DC says he’s ‘more aggressive’ than Jesse Minter

updated 3/15/24

In an interview earlier this week on the Michigan football podcast, “In the Trenches” new defensive coordinator Wink Martindale called himself the “OG” of the U-M defensive system.

Martindale is right. He coordinated the defense in Baltimore that had Jesse Minter and Mike Macdonald on staff as assistants. Both of those guys eventually became Michigan football defensive coordinator. They are now in the NFL and Martindale, following a two-year stint with the Giants, is the Wolverines’ new DC.

Martindale met with reporters for the first time on Friday and said the past few seasons, he has felt like a “proud parent” watching Michigan football play defense under Minter and Macdonald. He also said that things are going to be different. They are every year and he said, “I’m not going to tell Ryan Day what I’m going to do.”

Expect Michigan football to be even more “aggressive”

Martindale did say that was “more aggressive in nature” than Jesse Minter, which is interesting because Minter was not afraid at all to bring pressure. The Wolverines are also blessed with one of the best defensive fronts in college football. They were last season and will be again in 2024, so the blitz won’t be needed to get pressure, but it will be used to wreak havoc and cause confusion among college quarterbacks.

Wink is certainly close to Minter. He said he watched every Michigan football game over the past three seasons with Minter. They even watched some Vanderbilt film dating back to the 2021 season. Martindale is invested in the system and he’s right about being the “OG.”

The Michigan football defense is in good hands. At least it feels that way with Martindale calling the plays.

Posted (edited)

Michigan reportedly makes Wink Martindale the highest paid assistant in college football

DOUG SAMUELS       MAR 21, 2024

After the success of the Ravens-to-Wolverines pipeline of prior Michigan defensive coordinators Mike Macdonald and then Jesse Minter, Sherrone Moore knew the blueprint he wanted as a first-time head coach and swung for the fences.

When Wink Martindale and the Giants awkwardly parted ways at the conclusion of one season, it opened the door for Moore to nab the veteran NFL assistant for his top defensive post in Ann Arbor.

According to a report today from Austin Meek, not only did Michigan score one of the most well respected veteran defensive play callers in all of football, they also gave him a record-setting deal.

Meek shares that Martindale, who hadn't coached college football in two decades, inked a contract that makes him among the highest paid assistants in college football.

Wink singed a three-year deal with a base salary of $2.3 million this fall, per the report.

That figure will increase to $2.5 million in 2025 and $2.7 million in 2026.

The highest paid coordinator in college football last season was Clemson offensive coordinator Garrett Riley at $2.05 million. 

While Martindale's deal makes him the most well compensated coach in college football, Moore and Martindale have recently been tasked with  finding a new defensive line coach following the resignation of Greg Scruggs following an arrest last week. 

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, Earl Haffler said:

All I know is that if you plan on going up to Ann Arbor for the game, you fat-asses better get your Ozempic dose increased.  Those seats are narrow!

Really looking forward to our game in Ann Arbor this fall.  Pretty sure @immamac already said there will be a big tailgate event there.

Wolverines trying to figure out next starting QB... some folks expect it to be Alex Orji

Screenshot_2024-03-23-14-28-15_kindlephoto-1694922.thumb.png.02d7e82bd7ea957fa271c96f25c48445.png

Article on QBs...  

https://wolverineswire.usatoday.com/lists/sherrone-moore-breaks-down-michigan-football-qb-room-in-spring-ball/

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We don’t need a meta thread about every team. Holy fuck. Yeah our rivals for sure but we don’t need threads for news on every other team. If something big happens create a thread for it. 

Michigan had a place in the harbaugh thread. Now that doesn’t exist and it’s not the Michigan thread it’s the harbaugh thread. This thread is appropriate for a catch all related to the current national championship team who is number 1 in all time wins and is on the schedule next season as well as one of the top 10 actually relevant revenue programs in the country. 

don’t start a thread for Appalachian state, but come the fuck on man it’s Michigan don’t be obtuse. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, immamac said:

Michigan had a place in the harbaugh thread. Now that doesn’t exist and it’s not the Michigan thread it’s the harbaugh thread. This thread is appropriate for a catch all related to the current national championship team who is number 1 in all time wins and is on the schedule next season as well as one of the top 10 actually relevant revenue programs in the country. 

don’t start a thread for Appalachian state, but come the fuck on man it’s Michigan don’t be obtuse. 

Obtuse is their speciality.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Mason Graham will transfer.

LOL. No he will not. Michigan's D is going to be one of the top in the country again. That is how stacked they were last year, they can lose a ton of guys and still be one of the best. 

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Article/michigan-dt-mason-graham-addresses-transfer-portal-rumors-229324186/

Edited by Juicy

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 11:42 AM, Earl Haffler said:

All I know is that if you plan on going up to Ann Arbor for the game, you fat-asses better get your Ozempic dose increased.  Those seats are narrow!

This is correct.   Four hours of some dudes knees in your back (no homo) and having to turn your shoulders sideways even when standing is a huge beating for those of us over 6 ft tall.   Not going back again …

• Rage+1 1

Michigan and five individuals who currently or previously worked for its football program have reached an agreement with NCAA enforcement staff on recruiting violations and coaching activities by noncoaching staff members that occurred within the football program, and the appropriate penalties for those violations. A Committee on Infractions panel has approved the agreement. One former coach did not participate in the agreement, and that portion of the case will be considered separately by the Committee on Infractions, after which the committee will release its full decision. 

The agreed-upon violations involve impermissible in-person recruiting contacts during a COVID-19 dead period, impermissible tryouts, and the program exceeding the number of allowed countable coaches when noncoaching staff members engaged in on- and off-field coaching activities (including providing technical and tactical skills instruction to student-athletes).  The negotiated resolution also involved the school's agreement that the underlying violations demonstrated a head coach responsibility violation and the former football head coach failed to meet his responsibility to cooperate with the investigation. The school also agreed that it failed to deter and detect the impermissible recruiting contacts and did not ensure that the football program adhered to rules for noncoaching staff members.

The committee will not discuss further details in the case to protect the integrity of the ongoing process, as the committee's final decision — including potential violations and penalties for the former coach — is pending.

By separating the cases, the Division I Committee on Infractions publicly acknowledges the infractions case and permits the school and the participating individuals to immediately begin serving their penalties while awaiting the committee's final decision on the remaining contested portion of the case. That decision will include any findings and penalties for the former coach. This is the fourth case where the committee has used multiple resolution paths. 

The agreed-upon penalties in this case include three years of probation for the school, a fine and recruiting restrictions in alignment with the Level I-Mitigated classification for the school. The participating individuals also agreed to one-year show-cause orders consistent with the Level II-Standard and Level II-Mitigated classifications of their respective violations.

43 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

The participating individuals also agreed to one-year show-cause orders

Harbaugh didn't just roll a star market over in Malden for a box of quarters. This isn't just townie hopscotch.

23 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

By separating the cases, the Division I Committee on Infractions publicly acknowledges the infractions case and permits the school and the participating individuals to immediately begin serving their penalties while awaiting the committee's final decision on the remaining contested portion of the case. That decision will include any findings and penalties for the former coach. This is the fourth case where the committee has used multiple resolution paths. 

The agreed-upon penalties in this case include three years of probation for the school, a fine and recruiting restrictions in alignment with the Level I-Mitigated classification for the school. The participating individuals also agreed to one-year show-cause orders consistent with the Level II-Standard and Level II-Mitigated classifications of their respective violations.

in summary

wristslap.gif

12 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Looks like this is mostly an interview show with a little bit of commentary about what’s going on down on the field.

It's just a constant commercial for FOX and B10 football   😒

1 hour ago, CashMcCoy said:

Charles Woodson is very annoying. They officially announced Big Noon Kickoff for the game on 9/7.

image.gif.7a00fdd70633f68c132535c6bc8c4b80.gif

It’s a Maize Out. All the Burnt Orange should show nicely against that.