Lake Travis 2024: Countdown To Zero

“Researchers found between 25% to 50% of the water running through Waller Creek — which crosses along UT Austin’s campus — is the product of leaky city pipes, UT officials said in a release. Those leaks provide a gift, allowing the creek to help nourish trees along its banks, even during drought conditions.“

Good lord.

3 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

How many of our courses are pulling treated lake Travis water vs gray water and water from their own retention ponds?

Hancock is gray water

18 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Just curious, are there fish in Waller Creek? 

Not really

meanwhile, in the colorado river basin, the big country rain this spring has not moved spence 1 inch and it remains at 15.3%

ivie is up 2.5 feet and 2.5% in the past month, which is 15000 acre-feet

i continue to maintain that solar-driven archimedes screws and roman 1%-grade aqueducts (made with concrete culvert "tubes") can siphon and move all of the excess water from every lake that gets to 100% east of the brazos and move to ivie, spence, and to-be-built new reservoirs is 2 locations i have already identified

21 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

meanwhile, in the colorado river basin, the big country rain this spring has not moved spence 1 inch and it remains at 15.3%

i continue to maintain that solar-driven archimedes screws and roman 1%-grade aqueducts (made with concrete culvert "tubes") can siphon and move all of the excess water from every lake that gets to 100% east of the brazos and move to ivie, spence, and to-be-built new reservoirs is 2 locations i have already identified

You're like that dude from Singles. "It's a super train. Get me one hour with the mayor."

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i fantasize about solutions like this all the time.  i look at elevation lines and see if there is way to have northeast to colorado river transport

12 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Sure.  There are all kinds of solutions.  Hell, we could hire a bunch of laborers and have them haul 5 gallon buckets by hand 500 miles -- it CAN be done.

The questions behind ALL of these solutions are 1) what will it cost, and 2) is there sufficient political will to overcome all the opposition to get it done?

People truly don't grasp the cost of these sort of things.  Just the land acquisition alone for the ROW for a pipeline, acqueduct, footpath for 5,000 laborers, whatever, would blow your mind.  Maintenance costs.  Pumping costs (will your solar powered screws manage to pump sufficient volume to get enough water where it needs to go?  Will we need more/bigger pumps, running 24/7?)  And don't forget reservoir costs -- land acquisition, permitting, construction, maintenance and operations....billions upon billions upon billions.

In a state that won't spend money on anything but border bouys.  Good luck.

• Hook 'Em 1

Looks like the hill country has another chance for a round of rains this evening. The Travis basin is in the line of storms but I’m sure the force field will be up and running. It is one of the few remaining areas in central Texas that is still experiencing a drought.