People keep moving to Texas, mostly

On 3/20/2024 at 4:06 PM, YGIFS said:

Yeah, cheaper land, better job opportunities, and less bone-chilling weather.  It's not politics, it's maths.  However, after about 5 years in this overheated bullshit climate...they'll second guess their life-choices.  Human nature. 

The one that really stands out to me is people leaving Honolulu.  I get that it must get overly-expensive over time.  But that's one you have to kinda know going in, right?  I mean, I used to put off moving because of packing up and getting a truck, but leaving Hawaii is like a 6-month ordeal costing well into tens of thousands of dollars.  I know folks here in Austin from probably 30 states and 30 countries but I've never met a relocale from Hawaii.  My wife has a good childhood friend from rural Kansas who moved to Maui decades ago to be a nurse.  She has come back all of one time for a close family member funeral.  We visited her when we were there and she basically said the line from Gringo Honeymoon, "I ain't never going back..."  But I guess migration still hits even the most wonderful of places.   

Capitalists migrate and population follows.  There was a time when Detroit was a thriving center for new enterprise. There will be a time in the future when cities in Texas resemble today's Detroit.

9 hours ago, Slacks said:

I'm taking about moving. You're taking actual politics.

But to your point, is wage growth outpacing inflation? 

You're far more intelligent and informed than most people.

1) you used the word Vote but I’m the one changing the subject to politics, sir?

2) They are, for like the first time in decades. 

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

1) you used the word Vote but I’m the one changing the subject to politics, sir?

2) They are, for like the first time in decades. 

It was the context of the conversation... 

"Voting with their feet = moving."

That's why I hate Internet conversation. Shit is crossed easily. Just meet me for a beer.

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2024 at 11:31 AM, Slacks said:

Dammit... I said this to someone in California (or maybe Colorado) recently.

Texas is mostly about suburbs, kids schools and sports, and eating and drinking.

If you choose to live on the city, the schools and youth sports influence decreases and the food and drink influence increases. Outdoors means walking or cycling on a flat path. The beach is not usually close, so it's a day or weekend trip.

Property taxes are high, but values are lower (but increasing). Income taxes are none. F gasoline taxes in California.

Houston is the cheapest large (soon to be mega) city in the world. DFW is a giant suburb. Austin is the closest thing to looking and living like California. San Antonio and Austin will eventually combine into a giant california-like metropolis... With summer highs like Phoenix, but humid.

You can't call Houston a global mega city and DFW a huge suburb. DFW is bigger and growing faster than Houston, and this:

On 3/18/2024 at 1:19 AM, Rex Kramer said:

They’re the same city

is closer to truth than fiction. There are obviously some cultural and environmental differences but DFW and Houston share like 90% of their DNA. You can draw parallels down to the neighborhood in the urban cores of Dallas and Houston.

On 3/18/2024 at 12:20 PM, TexPx said:

And the home of a huge Hindu Nationalist organization.

“IMPACT: The Global Hindu Heritage Foundation (GHHF) is a Frisco, Texas-based Hindu non-profit organization. GHHF supports Hindu nationalist ideology and regularly publishes discriminatory, inflammatory, and intolerant content about Islam and Christianity. The group promotes anti-Muslim conspiracy theories, has raised funds to aid the demolition of Churches in India, and supports the Hindu nationalist mission of making India a Hindu-only nation”

https://bridge.georgetown.edu/research/factsheet-global-hindu-heritage-foundation/

I'm sure that goes over real well in Collin County

On 3/21/2024 at 9:16 AM, Helobious said:

Bohemian the fuck do you accurately measure year to year population change with no census or anything? Honest question.

lol maybe take a look at the source on the graphic

On 3/21/2024 at 9:16 AM, Helobious said:

Bohemian the fuck do you accurately measure year to year population change with no census or anything? Honest question.

Moving company information and UHaul. California and Illinois UHauls will have low amount of vehicles while Florida and Texas have a glut.

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

is closer to truth than fiction. There are obviously some cultural and environmental differences but DFW and Houston share like 90% of their DNA. You can draw parallels down to the neighborhood in the urban cores of Dallas and Houston.

This is true. The only things that really distinguish the two are climate and Houston’s proximity to the Gulf. Well, that and Dallas having a historically relevant pro football franchise. 

7 hours ago, gmr548 said:

You can't call Houston a global mega city and DFW a huge suburb. DFW is bigger and growing faster than Houston, and this:

I'm sure that goes over real well in Collin County

lol maybe take a look at the source on the graphic

The D and the FW stand for two distinct cities and everything around them to damn near Corsicana. Everyone I know who lives in DFW lives in neither.

The two are built different. Yes both have a bunch of suburbs, but Houston is more Houston than DFW is Dallas. It's not meant to be a negative or positive, just an observation.

They're not the same type of megapolis, imo 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2024 at 5:09 PM, Schulz2.0 said:

I'm in Denver. I work with guys that have bought Post Oak for big group lunches. The guys from Texas, or that have lived in Texas, loved it. The natives generally hated it. Fucking weirdos. 

alright, we tried Post Oak today...and it was really good! definitely the best brisket we've had here (sliced not chopped!), smoked turkey too, really moist and flavorful. mate liked the sausage a lot. sides (beans and collards) were passable but wouldn't order again, will try the slaw and mac&cheese next time. banana pudding was quite tasty. 

it's a bit of a drive for us, but so is AJ's...and we think Post Oak is better. glad to find it... thanks for mentioning it!

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 4

They are building houses like crazy up in Celina. 2500 people in 2000 to 250,000 people in 2050. Anna, Melissa, Van Alstyne are all going to have similar growth as well. 

It’s completely asinine. I’ve spent the last couple of years managing some infrastructure growth projects up there. It’s a great place to go if you hate trees and like 40’ wide lots.

Texas' Housing Market Tumbles
Home sales in Texas fell to the lowest level in seven years in 2023, as persistently high mortgage rates kept buyers out of the market even as prices dipped modestly compared to 2022, according to a recent report by Texas REALTORS.

Sales plunged by 11 percent last year, the report found, with a total of 327,921 sales—the lowest number since 2016. The drop happened despite homes in the state being generally a bit cheaper (down 1.4 percent) than they had been the year before with a statewide median price of $335,100.

https://www.newsweek.com/texas-housing-market-trouble-1878738

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Home sales in Texas fell to the lowest level in seven years in 2023, as persistently high mortgage rates kept buyers out of the market even as prices dipped modestly compared to 2022, according to a recent report by Texas REALTORS.

Sales plunged by 11 percent last year, the report found, with a total of 327,921 sales—the lowest number since 2016. The drop happened despite homes in the state being generally a bit cheaper (down 1.4 percent) than they had been the year before with a statewide median price of $335,100.

I think high interest rates is the biggest contributor to the lack of home sales. If/when we drop to free money zone again, houses will be flying off the market.

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

$400,000 @ 3% = $1,686

$250,000 @7% = $1,663

Prices need to drop a hell of a lot more than 1.4%, and the amount of inventory under $250K is.....not good.

• Hook 'Em 1