Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

3 hours ago, WBT said:

So what happens when France comes back Saturday?  Apparently Miguel Diaz doesn't have any options.

Martinez and Mushinski both have options remaining.  My guess is either Mushinski will be sent down or they’ll DFA Diaz and hope he passes thru waivers.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Martinez and Mushinski both have options remaining.  My guess is either Mushinski will be sent down or they’ll DFA Diaz and hope he passes thru waivers.

Yeah I was thinking Mushinski.  Dusty isn't around to pitch a fit if we send down the only lefty.

3 hours ago, Scraps said:
4 hours ago, WBT said:
So what happens when France comes back Saturday?  Apparently Miguel Diaz doesn't have any options.

Might as well boot Bielak. Not sure if he has options, but he would probably pass through waivers anyway cause he blows ass

Most of the time I’m with you. This is a horrible idea. Bielak is fine. No need to waive him

• Hook 'Em 2

Simone Eli s hot as balls, met her in NY when we were up there for opening day in 2016 against the Yanks and got iced out that Monday. She was with KPRC at the time as put out a message to anyone from Houston who was there and wanted to set up interview about changing flights and switching schedules after the announcement. 

Wife and I, and others, met her up on street near MSG and some homeless guys kept getting into the shot, finally she says "if you guys do that shit again, I'm gonna kick your fucking asses". Even I said "Yes, ma'am". She was super nice to us though

Dat ass

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Looks like they changed things up with the focus on changeups.

To up and change things like that must mean that the pitch selection change was a focus that the higher-ups wanted.

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

Looks like they changed things up with the focus on changeups.

To up and change things like that must mean that the pitch selection change was a focus that the higher-ups wanted.

The astros pitching program constantly grinding. Our guys are very open minded to change too 

5 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Or maybe Yainer has been screaming this since day 1 in the org but finally got Maldy kicked to the curb so someone would listen!

I can tell you this- Maldy absolutely turbofucked Hunter Brown last year when he started catching him and got so fucking lazy on breaking pitches- it was disgusting and the number bore it out.

1 week of the season in and my man Yainer is worth 0.6 WAR and in 4 games that fat fucking dipshit Maldy is a -0.2

Last year was a crime against humanity and if there was any justice in this world Dusty would have been drawn and quartered and then defenstrated, before being run out of town on a rail just to make sure.  He definitely cost us a draft pick with the ROY bullshit. It's extremely possible he might have cost us a WS title with just that one bit of abject buffoonery.  

God I hate them both so much.  

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He definitely cost us a draft pick with the ROY bullshit.

I started to post this yesterday but are we sure this is true? Was he ever eligible for this?

Unless it was just changed, the draft pick rule says the guy has to be on the opening day roster and in the top 100 prospect list in at least 2 of the 3 main lists (MLB pipeline, ESPN, BA). My searching yesterday showed he was top 100 in only 1.

it doesn’t change the level of managerial malpractice by Dusty but will change my level of “I told you so!”/ rage going to 11.

because as it is, we have the 28th pick and 101st pick this year with nothing in between. (we lose 2nd round pick for signing Hader). Would have been damn nice to replace that lost pick with the ROY pick. 

Edited by UTexasFight
(Which sucks because when Ronel is ROY this year we’re going to be SOL again because of the prospect list)

Losing draft picks because you sign a FA may be the dumbest thing in baseball, and that's saying something.  I get it was put in specifically for the Yankees back when they would just do whatever they want.  But with a multi-tier tax it's completely dumb.  Compensatory picks are fine and make some sense, losing draft picks is stupid

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I started to post this yesterday but are we sure this is true? Was he ever eligible for this?

Unless it was just changed, the draft pick rule says the guy has to be on the opening day roster and in the top 100 prospect list in at least 2 of the 3 main lists (MLB pipeline, ESPN, BA). My searching yesterday showed he was top 100 in only 1.

it doesn’t change the level of managerial malpractice by Dusty but will change my level of “I told you so!”/ rage going to 11.

because as it is, we have the 28th pick and 101st pick this year with nothing in between. (we lose 2nd round pick for signing Hader). Would have been damn nice to replace that lost pick with the ROY pick. 

I thought he was a qualifier based upon the lists- I know he was like top 50 in one and thought he was ranked in another one as well, but there are so many ins and outs who knows. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

Losing draft picks because you sign a FA may be the dumbest thing in baseball, and that's saying something.  I get it was put in specifically for the Yankees back when they would just do whatever they want.  But with a multi-tier tax it's completely dumb.  Compensatory picks are fine and make some sense, losing draft picks is stupid

And the Dodgers are doing the same thing the Yankees did anyway, so it's not deterring the teams it was meant to.

Edited by kevwun

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I thought he was a qualifier based upon the lists- I know he was like top 50 in one and thought he was ranked in another one as well, but there are so many ins and outs who knows. 

Yeah, idk either. I thought what I found were 2023 preseason lists but not certain.

he was 80-something in the one I found (BA, I think)

34 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

Good point.

next year will be interesting if we let Bregs and Tucker walk (with QOs). We’ll pick up two picks at the end of the 4th round but if we sign a guy that rejected a QO, we’ll lose a 2nd and 5th round pick thanks to being above the CBT this year…and lose $1M in international bonus pool money (that’s a lot of future no-hitters!)

starting to see why Crane went after a guy with Dana’s background given how he may potentially hamstring him

11 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Good point.

next year will be interesting if we let Bregs and Tucker walk (with QOs). We’ll pick up two picks at the end of the 4th round but if we sign a guy that rejected a QO, we’ll lose a 2nd and 5th round pick thanks to being above the CBT this year…and lose $1M in international bonus pool money (that’s a lot of future no-hitters!)

starting to see why Crane went after a guy with Dana’s background given how he may potentially hamstring him

Yeah, I still can't believe the players union agreed to QO costing draft picks.  It was a super shrewd move by the owners to fuck the players and keep salaries down.  And outside of the elite of the elite guys, that's exactly what's happened this offseason.  

The Astros optioned Parker Mushinski to Triple-A Sugar Land and activated J.P. France off the paternity list.

Miguel Díaz has joined the Astros in Arlington. He'll wear No. 39. With his addition, six of the eight members of the Astros' bullpen are out of minor-league options. Seth Martinez and Bryan Abreu are the only two that have any remaining.

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

The Astros optioned Parker Mushinski to Triple-A Sugar Land and activated J.P. France off the paternity list.

Miguel Díaz has joined the Astros in Arlington. He'll wear No. 39. With his addition, six of the eight members of the Astros' bullpen are out of minor-league options. Seth Martinez and Bryan Abreu are the only two that have any remaining.

Betting Abreu is good- so see you later Seth Martinez at some point in time- he be riding the sugar land express this year all year I bet. 

Posted (edited)

I’m liking Espada making moves with the order pretty quickly and not waiting a month (or 5).

7 games to move Abreu to a spot Dusty didn’t put him until August 25 last year (in fairness, some of that was due to injuries of guys that would have otherwise hit ahead of him but still).

Edited by UTexasFight

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Do Blanco and France still have options?  They could send either of them down if the timing works out in an emergency.

Brown, Blanco, and France all have options.  They could be optioned to skip a turn in the rotation and get another relief arm once JV comes back and the prep to switch to a 6 man rotation.

• Hook 'Em 1