Port Aransas

Paco

Just now, justhookit said:

Yeah I am not sure where he is asking about. The dunes in Port A haven’t moved and are more built up towards the gulf. The beach is narrower now.

The dunes on NPI moved back QUITE a bit from Hanna.  You can easily see the marker poles way away from the dunes - they used to be right at the edge of them prior.

But, PINS is a little bit of a drive - generally just go if it's super busy near town or if I want to take my dogs and let them run for awhile with no one around.

43 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

The dunes on NPI moved back QUITE a bit from Hanna.  You can easily see the marker poles way away from the dunes - they used to be right at the edge of them prior.

But, PINS is a little bit of a drive - generally just go if it's super busy near town or if I want to take my dogs and let them run for awhile with no one around.

Ha. Our marker poles in Port A are buried 10-15 feet into the dunes. Some you can barely see anymore. Going to be another busy weekend and if the weather is good Memorial Day is going to be nuts.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we did back to back beach weeks!  A 4 day weekend in Port A, followed by another 4 day weekend in Pensacola Florida.  One had nicer water... 😉

Funny how all the coastal places are the same, same folks just different accents.  OF course most of my time is spent either on the beach or in a bar/restaurant of some sort.  We were a bit unlucky in Pensacola as the storms that flooded the hell out of Beaumont and Lake Charles provided 20 mph winds and tons of rip tides.  

Going back down to Port Aransas in another couple weeks and hoping for a lot less wind.  Depends on what the wife's schedule works out to be, but I think I am going to spend a couple days on the beach in the RV this go round either before or after she's in town. As a text run. Might make a run down to PINS during the week. if I can get some good weather and tides.

Best new purchase was a Neso Grande sun shade for Pensacola. Something small and light I could take on the plane and that I could set up alone.  It was AWESOME!  Gave us a ton of shade and to my amazement I was able to set it up in 20 mph winds all by myself!!!  It's a sandbag anchored tent and in Port A I am going to need a shovel or bucket to dig out some holes to put the bags in if the winds are super high. On a regular low wind day you can just fill the bags with sand.  But when it's howling and you are watching umbrella after umbrella get destroyed in the high winds you have to bury the front bags especially to withstand the wind.

Good luck with Memorial Day Port A and Padre locals!  You won't catch me anywhere but around my house this weekend!

spacer.png

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Here now. Dinner at Grumbles last night and lunch today at Irie’s.

Staying in a condo by the Sandcastle. Man it’s been four years and that place still doesn’t look like it’s opening anytime soon.

You staying for the whole holiday weekend? It’s going to be a clusterfuck. I’ve got reservations at Venetian Friday night because I couldn’t talk someone out if it, but that’s the only meal I’ll be eating out over the weekend.

How’d you like Grumbles? I’ve had mixed results there so far.

I'll be down tomorrow. The only meal not cooked by us will be a pre-planned crab/shrimp boil on the beach. My brother and his wife (no pics) insist on going to Virginia's one night so I told him he can report back to me once he gets there. I'm not trying to deal with shoulder to shoulder seating and long ass waits.

Virginia’s has been on hour long lunch waits and 2 hour dinner waits on weekends since spring break, unless you get there right when they open or go at like 4 or something for dinner. You can double that this weekend and as an added bonus they will run out of a bunch of shit.

2 minutes ago, Teebox said:

Is Grumbles new?  Appears to be over by Fisherman's Wharf? 

Yeah they tore down the old Fisherman’s wharf. They built a nice new shop and bait stand in one building and a giant restaurant next door. That whole area is so different now and changing by the day.

You staying for the whole holiday weekend? It’s going to be a clusterfuck. I’ve got reservations at Venetian Friday night because I couldn’t talk someone out if it, but that’s the only meal I’ll be eating out over the weekend.
How’d you like Grumbles? I’ve had mixed results there so far.

Leaving Friday.
I thought Grumbles was fine. We had fried oysters and a shrimp bowl.

Should we even attempt Virginia’s tonight? Don’t want to wait an hour. Also is that a new Castaways?

12 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Leaving Friday.
I thought Grumbles was fine. We had fried oysters and a shrimp bowl.

Should we even attempt Virginia’s tonight? Don’t want to wait an hour. Also is that a new Castaways?

I drove through town a few hours ago and it doesn’t seem that crowded yet so I’d guess Virginia’s won’t be crazy busy. 
Yes that’s a new Castaways. Food is much improved over the old one but in absolutely sucked before so anything would be better. It’s also a little more high end than it was.

I drove through town a few hours ago and it doesn’t seem that crowded yet so I’d guess Virginia’s won’t be crazy busy. 
Yes that’s a new Castaways. Food is much improved over the old one but in absolutely sucked before so anything would be better. It’s also a little more high end than it was.

Everything was packed last night. We ended up at Beach Station, which I had never been to. Gumbo, grilled shrimp and flounder were all good.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Red Five said:

Everything was packed last night. We ended up at Beach Station, which I had never been to. Gumbo, grilled shrimp and flounder were all good.

They are consistent. Like their stuffed flounder and it’s one of the best deals on the island. Next time let me know I’ll buy you a beer and put it on immamac. We did Shortys tonight and Gaff.

• Hook 'Em 3

I've tried to avoid leaving the house on NPI this weekend.  Traffic is HORRIBAD on the island from the pics I've seen and reports from folks that were OTB.

The causeway was backed up to Flour Bluff Rd yesterday according to a friend of mine.

I do NOT want to see what the beaches on NPI or Port A look like.

On 5/26/2021 at 5:26 PM, justhookit said:

what was the name of the fairly upscale place right on the corner of alister and cotter?  is it still open?

On 5/26/2021 at 3:15 PM, Red Five said:

Here now. Dinner at Grumbles last night and lunch today at Irie’s.

Staying in a condo by the Sandcastle. Man it’s been four years and that place still doesn’t look like it’s opening anytime soon.

I know the guys that own Grumbles and FW.  Food is pretty good

4 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Headed down in about a month, for the week after July 4th.  I expect to find PA in shambles after the 4th weekend.

Damn. Didn’t think about that. I will be there that week as well. 

On 5/31/2021 at 1:27 PM, Ag with kids said:

I've tried to avoid leaving the house on NPI this weekend.  Traffic is HORRIBAD on the island from the pics I've seen and reports from folks that were OTB.

The causeway was backed up to Flour Bluff Rd yesterday according to a friend of mine.

I do NOT want to see what the beaches on NPI or Port A look like.

Always thought it was a terrible idea to allow vehicles on the beaches just for this reason.

Gonna head down next weekend if the weather holds.  Was thinking about seeing some music IF, and it's sort of a big IF I can stay awake late enough.  For some reason I tend to want to nap in that 12th hour of drinking...   When you wake up at 5 am to fish sometimes that first beer is the only carb you can find for breakfast, haha.

IF the wife drives separately I may go park the trailer in the Malaquite beach parking lot and drive down and take a look at PINS.  I need to buy a national parks pass, but wan not sure if I could unhitch my trailer at Malaquite for a few hours and be OK?  ANYONE? Or I may just stay though the weekend and just drive down at the crack of dawn from Port A one morning.

I think I want to try and catch a little more Ty Dietz, as I only saw a couple of his songs at Shorty's and he seemed fun, and I think the wife might enjoy him.  I think my BIL is going to come down as well, but it's always a battle to make it to nighttime after a full day on the beach.  Just took at look at the beach cam and damn, looks like a shit ton of seaweed rolled in last night. 

https://www.seagullcondos.com/live-surf-cam/?ref=portaransastex

ooops... Apparently the that was a sand berm NOT sea weed!  Weather is looking pretty good, might have to stretch this trip into the next week...  Surf looks great today.  And the sun poked it's nose out for a second a minute ago.  Im sick of the rain here in Austin.

On 6/3/2021 at 8:14 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

Liberty Hall and unfortunately it is now closed.

that was it.  the time i went they were terribly disorganized as far as hostess and seating goes, but the food was outstanding.  lisabella's was a couple of doors down at one time and was one of the better meals ive ever had in town.  i know they've moved to cinnamon shores since.   that just leaves roosevelts as decent dining in that area.

52 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

that was it.  the time i went they were terribly disorganized as far as hostess and seating goes, but the food was outstanding.  lisabella's was a couple of doors down at one time and was one of the better meals ive ever had in town.  i know they've moved to cinnamon shores since.   that just leaves roosevelts as decent dining in that area.

My boss has a house there and that was his favorite place on the island. 

22 hours ago, Gunsup said:

Always thought it was a terrible idea to allow vehicles on the beaches just for this reason.

Have you been to Port A or NPI beaches?  There are only a few access roads to get to them.  And the beach is about a quarter mile from PR22 down those access roads on NPI.  The dunes are there to protect the island and the mainland.

The vehicles don't really cause much of a problem that any other beach doesn't have.  It's PEOPLE congestion.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, harold said:

Can anyone recommend a bay guide out of port A?Looking to take my 10 and 7 year old kids.  Need someone patient that will put us on fish.  Probably just half day.

Based on prev recs from this thread -

Josh Garcia Tejas Charters

I used him and my buddy just went with him the other day and hauled this in.

Screenshot_20210605-074821_Facebook.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, harold said:

Can anyone recommend a bay guide out of port A?Looking to take my 10 and 7 year old kids.  Need someone patient that will put us on fish.  Probably just half day.

2 hours ago, dmtx said:

Based on prev recs from this thread -

Josh Garcia Tejas Charters

I used him and my buddy just went with him the other day and hauled this in.

Screenshot_20210605-074821_Facebook.jpg

This is the answer. Huge Longhorn fan and great fisherman. If the fishing sucks he is funny as hell, was a cast member at Esthers Follies. Tell him PortAfino John sent you to him. At this point I’ve sent him so many trips he probably owes me a bud light.

15 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Have you been to Port A or NPI beaches?  There are only a few access roads to get to them.  And the beach is about a quarter mile from PR22 down those access roads on NPI.  The dunes are there to protect the island and the mainland.

The vehicles don't really cause much of a problem that any other beach doesn't have.  It's PEOPLE congestion.

Yeah, I lived there for a few years and I understand what dunes are for.  Being able to park on the beaches is convenient for people, but terrible for the beaches in general.  People who park on the beaches usually leave alt of trash behind (just from my observations).

34 minutes ago, Gunsup said:

Yeah, I lived there for a few years and I understand what dunes are for.  Being able to park on the beaches is convenient for people, but terrible for the beaches in general.  People who park on the beaches usually leave alt of trash behind (just from my observations).

Meh.  People who GO to the beach leave a lot of trash behind.

On NPI and Port A, it's really not practical to not let people drive/park on the beach.  They'd have to remove a large amount of dune area to allow for parking.  And hell, it's something like 10 miles from Access Rd 5 to Access Rd 6.  People can't walk hauling their shit that far.

The NPI/Port A beaches are different than many other beaches around the world.  And I'd agree on those others.  I go to St Martin every year.  It's actually not practical to allow driving on their beaches, plus, there's easy access to them without driving on them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Meh.  People who GO to the beach leave a lot of trash behind.

On NPI and Port A, it's really not practical to not let people drive/park on the beach.  They'd have to remove a large amount of dune area to allow for parking.  And hell, it's something like 10 miles from Access Rd 5 to Access Rd 6.  People can't walk hauling their shit that far.

The NPI/Port A beaches are different than many other beaches around the world.  And I'd agree on those others.  I go to St Martin every year.  It's actually not practical to allow driving on their beaches, plus, there's easy access to them without driving on them.

These tourists have gone insane. A bartender at Salty Dog last night had to run a guy off with a baseball bat. Chased him out the bar and down the street. I get letting loose after Covid is “over” but it’s definitely a different crowd and atmosphere from 2 years ago.

Edited by justhookit
X

On 6/4/2021 at 11:42 AM, thrillhammer said:

They were terribly disorganized from Day 1 which was a little weird because the owner was the same one from Pelican Club and Beulahs before that. He didn’t allow that at those places. He basically didn’t give a shit anymore and was looking for an excuse to retire. Still, it was far and away the best food on the island. As far as meal experiences here in town Venetian Hot Plate to me is still your best bet. Nothing there food wise is going to be great but they have the best service and a really good wine list.

That’s crazy. I was on the beach briefly today and next time I’ll get a pic. Our markers are buried in the dunes.

im already over this summer. You absolutely can’t go out to eat anywhere without a long wait. It’s nuts. The island is so crowded I’ve already started my all right turn deal and that usually doesn’t start until 4th of July. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Been having a great long weekend in Port A. I must admit I have been surprised at how busy it’s been in town, especially with the restaurants. It seemed like no one was allowing take out on Saturday night. On Sunday night most places were an hour wait at minimum. Some even closed early. Has this been you all’s experience? Are things better in the week days?

10 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Been having a great long weekend in Port A. I must admit I have been surprised at how busy it’s been in town, especially with the restaurants. It seemed like no one was allowing take out on Saturday night. On Sunday night most places were an hour wait at minimum. Some even closed early. Has this been you all’s experience? Are things better in the week days?

Yes, the crowds down here have been insane this summer. By far the busiest it’s ever been. It seems to get slightly less busy on Tuesday and Wednesday but then picks right back up. I won’t go out to eat dinner without a reservation or going at like 4:45.

Everybody is understaffed and running out of food too. June is usually the slowest month of the summer so can’t wait to see what it’s like in July. It will be a clusterfuck.

also Reed quit Shortys and is going to work at Bernie’s. That may be the worst news of the summer.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1

Took my boys to Pensacola for a few days. I have a feeling Port A/PINS is forever ruined for them, lol. Went out to Fort Pickens to go fishing and got to see the Blue Angels practicing. My kids weren't interested but I was geeking out hard-core. They were in the air for an hour or so and kept buzzing right over us.
e26f043efb55322398bd8775ae923c27.jpge6eda14636cc19095e54ebde97b55281.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Was in Pensacola on May 15 and at Port A on June 15th.  And what I can say about both places, is that if you are planning to go out to eat, you are gonna be in for a very long wait anytime after 4 pm.  At least in Pensacola Pegleg Pete's had a call wait list.  Nothing in Port A I know of has a call list.  Just wait and sweat it out.  

I will say that somehow the wife and I hit the miracle and got into La Playa, at about 7:15 last Thursday without a wait.  A miracle for sure as they were on a wait again within 5 minutes.  Best thing about us using the RV to stay at IB Magee is that I can have here hop out and put our name on the list and then go get cleaned up just up the street and be back in time to get seated with a MUCH shorter wait.

EVERY single restaurant I saw had a help wanted sign.  So that compounds the  On the weekend it was a fucking zoo!  We had to go to marker 58 to find even a little limited space.   I think I am back to just going out to town to entrance 2 and then heading back up into the 70's and 80's mile markers.  Better fishing, but just to get a little fucking space.  Sundays through Thursday's are manageable, but Saturdays are downright unbearable. So I feel for you living in Port A fulltime Just Hookit.  We did actually manage to pull a few nice trout out of the surf on Tuesday when the wind laid down.  But even the pier at Channelview Condos did not produce more than a couple keepers. 

I guess Shorty's is getting squeezed now as they have moved all the picnic tables out back, instead of in front of the stage area.  Which is probably not good for business.  Hope they can find a new home for Shorty's that has a little more space for live music?  I guess my best testimony to the labor shortage in Port A was twice seeing Edwin (the owner of Shorty's, Kody's and formerly Giggity's) working as a line cook at Kody's.  What is really tough is as bad as the weekends are, trying going out on a Monday night when half the restaurants are closed.  The whole deck at Kody's was a waiting area last Monday.  

That's why mostly if we decide to go out to eat, we are on the list at La Playa before 5 pm on a Wednesday or Thursday, hoping for a first seating and sunset walk later.

We are headed down this weekend.  Not planning on eating out, goal is to be at the beach or at the house.  Our kids haven't had much experience with dining out recently because of covid and asking them to be patient with the inevitable crowds, waits, and service just seems like a disaster by design.  Feel bad about not supporting the locals but we need a break and some relaxation.

This is the answer. Huge Longhorn fan and great fisherman. If the fishing sucks he is funny as hell, was a cast member at Esthers Follies. Tell him PortAfino John sent you to him. At this point I’ve sent him so many trips he probably owes me a bud light.
Any guesses on how the action might be come early to mid August?

Looking @ maybe 06 August.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Any guesses on how the action might be come early to mid August?

Looking @ maybe 06 August.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Probably good fishing for redfish. The nice thing about fishing that time of year is it’s usually flat calm, and you can head out the jetties if you get a limit early to fish for bull reds and tarpon. You need to book now because when I talked to him last week he said he was getting close to being booked up for the summer. Most other guides are probably in a similar situation. This summer is crazy busy.

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Probably good fishing for redfish. The nice thing about fishing that time of year is it’s usually flat calm, and you can head out the jetties if you get a limit early to fish for bull reds and tarpon. You need to book now because when I talked to him last week he said he was getting close to being booked up for the summer. Most other guides are probably in a similar situation. This summer is crazy busy.

Turns out my Father's Day present was 4 tickets to the Round Rock Express on the same weekend we had been talking about (for 3 weeks now) to go to Port A or Mustang Island.  Insert entry to "Wives & the Stupid" here... damn good thing I didn't actually book the BnB type lodging on Friday or even yesterday LIKE I HAD BEEN TALKING TO MY NIECE & HER HUSBAND ABOUT, in person, WHILE MY WIFE WAS SITTING THERE NEXT TO ME.

Now looking @ the following weekend for the summer trip, with or without her [ sister / her BF ] & [ niece / her husband + their 4 kids ].  I think it would be easier to get the entirety of visitors to the Magic Kingdom to all do the same thing than it is to get the total of us 12 to all book similarly.

Anyhow, 14 / 15 August appears to be the target weekend; kids are back in school starting Tuesday, 17 Aug.

• Haha 1

Ok a couple things about the trip last week I saw a couple go out to the fucking rigs last Wednesday.  It was nice with sub 10 mph winds on Tuesday and we saw two guys in Kayaks (alone dumbasses) make it out and back.  This couple had a small zodiac style boat with a small Honda either 15 or 20.  Both were geared up from head to toe and had their vests on tightly.  I took a pic of them leaving, in case they never returned.  She's up front on one side, he's on the other leaning out to try to see with the nose shooting skyward.  Stalled twice before the third Sandbar.  I moved to my binoculars to watch them bounce out, one cool thing did come of their stupidity that was cool to see.  Saw a big fucking Tarpon leap out of the water as they crossed the sandy shallow of the third bar.  I guess it could have been a 5 foot ladyfish that was thicker than shit, but I will stand by my ID.  I was down at marker 81.  

They made it back, but she was not feeling well and went out wading into the surf a while, as I am sure she felt sick enough getting the crap knocked out of her for 2-1/2 hours when she stepped back onshore.  She did NOT help put the boat back up, he was a fucking moron as the captain. What a difference a day makes!!!

Now for the interesting part.  What the fuck are these prints?  They look more like a hoof than the foot of a bird.  The one picture shows when it looks like the "heel" struck adding two more smaller indentations but reversed.  Any ideas?

Port A tracks.jpeg

Port A track Closeup.jpeg